Firsty 27-Jun-21
RutnStrut 29-Jun-21
RJN 29-Jun-21
RutnStrut 29-Jun-21
Firsty 30-Jun-21
RutnStrut 30-Jun-21
Nocturnal II 02-Jul-21
30-Mar-21
has anyone had any interaction, good/bad or otherwise with Jeff Sturgis of Whitetail Habitat Solutions?

30-Mar-21
That the guy that does videos and a few with the hunting public?

30-Mar-21
he has several youtube videos and books on how to improve your property for better deer habitat - he will visit your property in person and put together a plan also

30-Mar-21
OK I know him from his videos. Seems like he knows a lot about it. I do wonder what he charges?

30-Mar-21
Why not just ask us for suggestions? Save the money. I'll give ya free advice. Just PM me

31-Mar-21
He's about the only guy I can stand watching for any length of time.

31-Mar-21
His fees are outrageous. There are just as knowledgeable people who can actually help you implement your habitat objectives.

31-Mar-21
Same as any other type of business, if someones willing to pay him for his services who cares if he has outrageous fees, its a business, he definitely knows what he's talking about. I've learned a lot about food plots and habitat improvements just watching his videos for free only wish I had my own land to work it on.

31-Mar-21
He has some good info on his video's and does discuss northern big woods at times. He kind of soured me when he jumped on people who were against the xgun's. He went on a rant in one of his video's I think mainly because his wife was using one. Now I see she is learning to shoot a bow, good for her if that is the case.

31-Mar-21
He is as good as it gets! A couple of years ago he invited me to a workshop he presented on his property in SW Wisconsin...a complete game changing experience for me. I even had read all his books, watched most of his videos, have attended many a workshop/field day...his one day event was the best. I think he charges $2500 for a property tour. He does have a private web class - $500 - well worth the money if you are into learning how to do things and get results. BC

31-Mar-21
Part II - my wife kicked me off the computer, she is working at home too...

I've designed a bunch of properties using many of Jeff's concepts. If you follow his ideas, you can't go wrong. I certainly don't agree with everything he teaches, but most.

He, and others property designers, are in demand because a lot of times people buy a property and have no idea what to do, where to start, etc. So what happens more than you think, in fact in most cases, a lot of new property owners sort of give up and hang stands along deer trails, plant food plots in an opening in the woods, rent out their tillable, access their stands on existing trails, etc. Nothing wrong with any of this, but there is always a better way if you know how and why. That's where Jeff and others like him are worth their money - here is a plan, follow it and you will have great deer hunting (if that is your goal). BC

31-Mar-21
@Bow Crazy... Jeff is that you?

31-Mar-21
There is a member here called tree farm I think who seems very knowledable about tree and shrub plantings. Maybe talking to him would be a good start?

31-Mar-21
Shout out to Grunter. One bowhunter helping another. We did PM, then a phone conversation. He gave me some good ideas. Thanks. (This is the way it ought to be.)

02-Apr-21
That's funny ForestCoPubic, no, I'm not Jeff. LOL I watch a lot of habitat improvement videos on youtube, I read just about every book on the subject, I've helped a bunch of people design their parcels including 5 family parcels. Jeff's stuff, in my opinion, is by far the best. I certainly don't agree with everything he says, but if your goals are better hunting/better bucks he is a great resource. BC

03-Apr-21
I too really enjoy his videos. Seems very experienced. I dint want any of my comments to take away from his knowledge and experience. However the one concern I would have implementing his forest plan. Which is open canopies hinge cut many areas and really disregard timber value. I don’t have a problem disregarding timber value if it benefits wildlife. However my main concern would be to allow brush to fill in. I know the concept is high stem count or density. However not all brush is created equal. If it allows buckthorn, prickly ash or honeysuckle to flourish it could be a real problem 10 - 20 yrs down the road.

06-Apr-21
if the invasives flourish after you open the canopy, they were already there. Opening the canopy doesn't bring invasives in.

06-Apr-21
I did not say it would bring them in I said it would allow them to flourish.

08-Apr-21
Don Higgins does land consulting also. I have talked to him a few times and have been 100% impressed. Check him out . He is part owner of Real world whitetails used to own a tree service, has shot 5 bucks over 200 inches. Love his podcast and you tube videos chasing giants also!! I have seen Jeff's videos also, seems like he knows his stuff, but I like Don's approach personally. Good luck in whatever you do!!

08-Apr-21
thank you to everyone that commented - l'm happy to say that l'm in the process of working with Sam Bilhorn of Whitetail Partners and very excited to see what our property can become and produce

09-Apr-21
You won't be disappointed with Sam either. I've worked with him as well. He will lay out a great plan for you. Good choice! BC

15-May-21
Anyone here use Mike Murphy from Wildlife Sanctuary Solutions?

15-May-21
I would give don Higgins a call as well. You won’t regret it. Subtle details in land management strategies make a big difference on next level deer

19-May-21
I agree with those saying Don Higgins is the one to contact. He really knows his $hit and is a great down to earth guy to boot.

22-May-21
Don is $5000 minimum.

22-May-21
Don is $5000 minimum.

26-Jun-21
I heard Don was $3500. That may have changed. if I invest a ton of money in land and equipment, not to mention my time, I would also spend a little more to get a guy of Don's caliber. Dude knows his stuff. Just tune into his podcast chasing giants you will learn alot. Most things are very simple but over looked. At least for me, the podcast made me rethink a lot of my land management methods. I have spoken to him on the phone and was super impressed!! Down to earth and genuinely felt like he wanted me to succeed. Oh ya, didnt push 1 of his products either. Just 2 hunters having a conversation about deer hunting. I have nothing bad to say about the guy.

27-Jun-21
I would take Jeff over Don any day

29-Jun-21
"I would take Jeff over Don any day"

May I ask why?

29-Jun-21
I find Jeff’s YouTube channel very informative. He’s also local to my area and doesn’t push products like others do.

29-Jun-21
Nothing against Jeff as I think he is one of the best at what he does. I've never heard Don push product either. I have heard him say at times that his product may not be best for certain situations. Not many people with a vested interest in something will do the opposite of lining their pockets.

30-Jun-21
Visit Don's website and see the ego flowing.

30-Jun-21
"Visit Don's website and see the ego flowing."

Listen to his podcast and you would probably think differently. He seems to be a very down to earth, humble man. But I have never met him personally so I guess I could be wrong. I think Jeff comes across as a great guy as well.

02-Jul-21
Its hard to talk about our opinions when it comes to anything without sounding egotistical in the eyes of some. Both guys offer different opinions, but I like free advice and if I ever buy a larger chunk of land. Id like to design it myself, my way.

• Sitka Gear