EmbryOklahoma 09-Jun-21
nickphillips 14-Jun-21
Ok...Russ 14-Jun-21
Quailhunter 15-Jun-21
Ok...Russ 15-Jun-21
Quailhunter 15-Jun-21
Ok...Russ 15-Jun-21
06-Apr-21
Looking for info on the walk-in elk hunts.

Any body draw that hunt last year?

07-Apr-21

Quailhunter's Link
Looks like the walk-in hunts were pretty successful. 39 hunters/25 bulls. 64% success rate compared to 72% success on the traditional elk hunt at Wichita Mtns.

07-Apr-21
I believe it's 86% success on the non-walk in hunts. 72 hunters/62 bulls. Maybe the walk in areas aren't as rugged as the others thus less cover for the elk? Here's the draw odds from last year. Walk in had 2 hunts. 20 tags, 1528 apps = .013% 20 tags, 1579 apps = .0126%. Traditional hunt had 3. 25 tags, 8827 apps = .003. 25 tags, 10211 apps = .0024%. 25 tags, 10710 apps = .0023%. What I don't know is do the number of applications listed include preference points? Ex: Of the 1528 apps, is it 1500 applicants with 1 point and 14 applicants with 2 points to make the 1528 total? OR, could the 1528 apps really be 1500 applicants with 2 points and 28 applicants with 3 points which equates to 3084 chances in the hat?

07-Apr-21
oops, I was on the cow line. 122/166.... you're right. I have no idea on the point deal.. just know I have 25 and I'm due!!!! this is the year. I can feel it. (pretty sure I've said before).

If I were guessing, I'd say the number of applicants does not include preference points.

07-Apr-21
Thanks for all the info.

My hunting partner & i have 22pp each.

07-Apr-21
Slight correction on my %. .013 should be 1.3%, 1.26%, .3%, .24% and .23%. If the number of applicants doesn't include pref points, which I agree likely doesn't, then the odds listed or implied in their publications is very low. If the average applicant has 5 pp, you've just increased the number of entries by 500% on what's listed. At least that's how I see it. Anyhow, I'll just draw with my 3 pp this fall and call it good!! :)

07-Apr-21
Ok....russ

I know a guy with ZERO pp that drew.

Good luck

07-Apr-21
I always took it to mean that there are X number of applicants but my name is in there 25 times. If I understand their system.... I’d like to know the average points on successful hunters. We’ve had several on this site go. I’d also like to hear how that walk-in hunt was... good luck everyone!

09-Apr-21
The walk in hunts allow for 2 hunters to apply together. Just confirmed it with ODWC.

09-Apr-21
Generally speaking, can't you take a non-hunting person with you to assist in recovery? If not, I would never put my wife in the draw. I'm all for applying together assuming of course this doesn't lessen our odds if we both put in as individuals.

09-Apr-21
Yea you can take a helper and on the walk in I believe it says a non hunting helper in the field. It would lessen your odds if they had less preference points than you since the points are averaged amongst the party members on the application.

09-Apr-21
Appreciate the info!

09-Apr-21
I sure wish someone knew a little more about it and could share. Based on last years odds, you have a pretty dang good chance of drawing the walk in hunt with 20+ points. Would like to know how it really compares to the other hunts.

09-Apr-21
So if you put in as a two party hunt for the walk in.

You can still take a helper for each hunter??

09-Apr-21
That is my understanding. When you select that hunt it says you can take a non hunting partner in the field.

18-May-21
Can someone expand on this? What is the glaring difference between the “walk-in” and the “traditional” hunt? I thought there were set areas you went (drove) to and then you walked to find the elk? What am I missing?

18-May-21
Traditional hunts they take you out to a place you’ve marked and drop you off and pick you up. Walk in you park in a parking lot and go from there. Can apply with another hunter and each can have an in field helper on walk in hunts. Nobody allowed with you except after kill on traditional hunts. At least I think that’s pretty much the difference.

18-May-21
Rick, when I filled out my apps, I clicked on the walk-in to read the disclaimer and basically it's exactly that "walk in only". No driving. No cart. Backpack and legs only! Somewhere I read you have to get the animal out by the time they close the hunting area too or get the next morning. Don't quote me on that though.

18-May-21
Well, I suppose it wouldn’t matter, either hunt would be fine with me. If my odds of pulling the tag would be better with the walk-in, guess I’ll put my 25 points on the table and go that route.

18-May-21
That was my thinking. If the draw ratios are the same as last year then our 25 points will put us up there.

19-May-21
Hope to meet up with one of you 25 pt guys when I draw this year!

19-May-21
I'm calling it. Quailhunter, Embry & Russ are drawing this year.

19-May-21
We can kill some elk and talk gardening. Perfect!

09-Jun-21
All red for me again.

09-Jun-21
No go for me.... son drew Salt Plains for the third year in a row. He’s fixing to not be a youth anymore and see what it’s like for us normal folks.

09-Jun-21
Nothing for me or any of my family or friends.

09-Jun-21
Unsuccessful

09-Jun-21
Hope to meet up with one of you 26 pt guys when I draw next year! *#$&@$#( Neither me or wife drew elk or antelope. Still have a 'gimme' cow elk hunt available in CO but gets pricey with NR tags(and to think I moaned/groaned when resident tags increased to $46 when living in Colorado Springs).

09-Jun-21
Nothing! I got 26 elk points now.

09-Jun-21
I did buy a couple of the raffle tickets for the cow elk hunt on private property so there's a glimmer of hope still. Not really but my wife stays positive so I should too!

At least we still have our gardens Rick. Maybe someone would trade us a little elk meat for tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers?!?

09-Jun-21
I’m just happy to have 10 packages of elk burger, a few breakfast sausage and one elk roast left from my buddy Aaron Johnson, that he gave me. Only thing saving them is time to cook since I’m working odd hours nowadays. Hey, at least we still have our gardens like you said, Russ! Deer season will be here before we know it.

14-Jun-21
do you know when they will draw the cow raffle?

14-Jun-21
If you're asking me, I'm not talking to you(see Controlled Hunt thread)! Granted, I've only been putting in for 4 years so no real hard feelings. I've got no idea on the timing of the draw. I do think the actual hunt is more towards winter.

15-Jun-21
Hunts have all been drawn.

15-Jun-21
Quailhunter, does this include the raffles and not just the controlled hunts?

15-Jun-21
Oh, I don’t know about the raffles. I didn’t even realize there was an elk raffle.

15-Jun-21
MY BAD - there isn't one, just ignore my post. Carry on!!! :)

Don't figure this will change the outcome of my chances to win a cow elk hunt which are already very, very low(not a lucky guy when it comes to winning a drawing like this much like the Lotto)! But, I do expect a 'tip' if anyone draws this hunt after I post the link. Maybe a 'tri tip'? :)

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/outdoorok/adventures/hunting/southwest-oklahoma-cow-elk-hunt

• Sitka Gear