Blood 10-Apr-21
GF 10-Apr-21
Big Dog 10-Apr-21
BBB 10-Apr-21
Notme 11-Apr-21
Big Dog 12-Apr-21
soapdish 12-Apr-21
09-Apr-21
Does anyone know if there have been any recent studies following up on cadmium levels in deer liver, particularly in Connecticut? I know they have that caution in the reg book but it seems like the main studies are from the 80’s and 90’s. My guess is with more cleanup and regulation of these substances over the past decades it should be less of an issue. Wondering if there is any more recent insight and info as to if it is concentrated in particular regions or evenly scattered around the state.

09-Apr-21
I hate liver, so cadmium or no cadmium I'm not eating it.

09-Apr-21

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo

09-Apr-21
Heavy metals tend to persist in the environment for quite some time. They’re elements, so they don’t break down; I expect they really have to be carried off or buried under to a depth where plants can’t cycle them up via their root systems...

So unfortunately, if they haven’t studied it more recently, maybe it’s because it’s kind of a permanent situation??

09-Apr-21
bleydon,

The last time I posted anything about consuming deer liver, the thread quickly went sideways.

In any event I don't know the answer to your question, but I am interested.

09-Apr-21
BBB, My hunting buddy in Vt. hates liver too. What is it that people hate? Is it that it looks pretty much the same going in as it does coming out the other end, LOL?

09-Apr-21
GF, I think it really depends on what the source is and what has been done in the past few decades. If it was largely from coal power plants that there are less of now and also have filters etc. (like acid rain, mercury, etc.) you would expect to see a lot less. If it was clustered around and downstream of old industrial sites that are now cleaned up, again you would expect to see a lot less. If it truly is essentially background environmental levels that for whatever reasons get concentrated in the liver (like Vitamin A in polar bears) than you wouldn't expect to see much change.

09-Apr-21
A followup study was done in 2005. Basically you reduce risk by eating young deer and limiting intake.

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DEEP/wildlife/pdf_files/outreach/connecticut_wildlife_magazine/cwso06pdf.pdf

Almost halfway down the page.

09-Apr-21
Cut your liver up into little cubes. Wrap with bacon and a toothpick......the bacon makes everything good. Delicious appetizers!!

On a relative note....I shot a buck once and it’s liver was bright purple. Like super human bright purple. I did not save that liver and no one could explain why it was that color.

09-Apr-21

BBB's Link
Blood - wrapping liver in bacon reminds me of Jim Gaffigan's routine about kale, funny as hell!!

09-Apr-21
I tell ya, fellas....

One of the best meals I ever cooked was mule-deer liver & onions: a sweet Vidalia, locally-produced bacon and liver from my first bow-kill (28 paces, recurve, still-hunting a bedding area at about 9,000’!) cooked in a dutch oven on a woodstove I built out of a .50-cal ammo can in my 10-man squad tent up on the North Shore of Lake Superior after a full day of salmon-fishing capped by an evening grouse hunt surrounded by October colors.....

I’m sure the atmosphere had nothing whatsoever to do with it.....

And DAMN, but my brother’s Elk-liver pate.... it’s enough to get a Regular Guy to talk about eating Pate.....

10-Apr-21
BBB, ya gotta give liver a second chance, lol.

10-Apr-21
Honestly, I think most people who don’t like it have never had it prepared decently. I know my mother used to cook the hell out of it and so no, as a matter fact I didn’t care for it at all!

But when it’s not overcooked, it can be wonderful. And really… How can you pass up an opportunity or an excuse to eat more bacon?

10-Apr-21
Honestly, I think most people who don’t like it have never had it prepared decently. I know my mother used to cook the hell out of it and so no, as a matter fact I didn’t care for it at all!

But when it’s not overcooked, it can be wonderful. And really… How can you pass up an opportunity or an excuse to eat more bacon?

10-Apr-21
When I was in my 20's I bought a boat and tried to catch anything in the sound. I had no idea what I was doing and asked an old timer at work who was an avid salt water fisherman how to do it, including catching blue fish. I knew how to cook flounder, but not blues. He told me to take the gills out immediately, put them on ice, gut them, put a sea rock in the belly, wrap in tin foil with dill and butter, cook for 30 minutes, remove from the fire, throw the blue fish away and eat the rock. That's how good blue fish are he said!! I'm thinking liver is the same?

10-Apr-21

Blood's embedded Photo
Perfect size for eating. Last June in RI.
Blood's embedded Photo
Perfect size for eating. Last June in RI.
Bluefish are delicious. Bleed them. Put them on ice or into an ice slurry. Take their scales off......then filet them when they are ice cold. Soak filets in milk for an hour. Cover in lemon and pepper and butter. Place filet on hot grill skin side down. Cook for about 12-15 mins and peel the meat off the skin on the grill and enjoy. Leave the dark meat behind.

You can also take their cheeks out - they are absolutely delicious battered and fried. Poor man’s scallops.

Maybe we need to do a summer Bowsite outdoor BBQ so BBB can try some of these recipes.

10-Apr-21
I think cooking ANY fish for 30 minutes would make a rock look pretty good!

I find Blues pretty tasty, to be honest. Definitely worth removing the dark, fatty stuff from along the lateral line, though - the stuff that turns grey when you cook it. Doesn’t taste very good and thats where the bad-for-you stuff accumulates anyway...

I have found that whenever someone says a particular food item is “awful”, it turns out they’ve never had it properly prepared.

Except Brussels sprouts... those things are just NASTY!

LOL

10-Apr-21
BBB, Everyone in my family loves deer heart and I'm betting so do you. Only kidding you about your aversion to liver.I've used that bluefish recipe on sea ducks.

10-Apr-21
I love deer heart. Had for the first time in New Brunswick years ago and fell in love with it. Blood - your recipe sounds good, now I just need to figure out how to catch blue fish. :>)

11-Apr-21
Bluefish, YUCK!!!!!.. Smelly yellow eyed demons..lol. I'm not a smelly fish eater( well sorta lol) but everybody I know that eats blues does it the same way as Blood..by the way,good to have you back bud!!

12-Apr-21
Blood, fried cod tongues and cheeks delicious too , especially fried in some heart-smart salt pork, lol. Thanks for the recipe.

12-Apr-21
I fried up some bluefish last week. Soaked it in almond milk. My buddies said that it was the best.

• Sitka Gear