Beerbobber31 13-Apr-21
Hoot 14-Apr-21
Vilasbowhunter 14-Apr-21
Vilasbowhunter 14-Apr-21
Vilasbowhunter 14-Apr-21
12-Apr-21

Vilasbowhunter's embedded Photo
Yesterday I pulled my camera from a bedding area after 5 months. On 3/25, this buck showed up. Obviously shed his antlers (was a 10pt). But the odd thing is the damage to his back and chest. It looks like something is protruding from the top of it's back, the sides are all scarred up, and a big chunk of hide is missing from it's chest. Coyote or dog attack? Sick deer?

12-Apr-21

Second picture

12-Apr-21
I think it got its ass kicked during the Rut . From what I can see .

12-Apr-21
Nothing. Shedding winter coat for summer coat.

12-Apr-21
His coat is a little roughed up is all.

12-Apr-21

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
What's wrong with this buck?

12-Apr-21
First two pictures of the buck I would agree that the hair appears messed up and thats it. The second deer has an injury to the lower left front leg, and appears thin.

12-Apr-21
I'd like to add one thing. Deer coming out of winter, especially bucks are probably the m8st prime to weight loss. Imagine the rut, and running all your fat reserves off, and then going into the winter when there's far less crop to forage on. Yes, the winter hair will drop, but that deer does look lean. I'm sure it is putting on the weight as we type. Definitely a decent winter for deer to survive, and mortality likely the lowest in years. Exactly what the northern herd needed!

12-Apr-21
By chance you get pics of this deer anytime after May I would like to see how he ended up.

13-Apr-21
This thin buck has lumpy jaw. You can see it on the left of side of his jaw.

13-Apr-21
Yes, lumpy jaw & injury on his left front leg...no wonder why he is struggling and unhealthy.

13-Apr-21
Yes, the last one was injured somehow and unhealthy. A normal winter probably would have killed him but the past winter was nothing for deer so he survived.

13-Apr-21
Will be interesting since he is injured what his antlers will look like this year. Please keep us posted if you can

13-Apr-21

13-Apr-21
Vilas. To me looks wound below spine, and behind liver. Hoot is year on your camera right? Think he’s just chewing on acorns, and taking a shit. I can’t see his tail, but white hair is puffed on his ass.

14-Apr-21
Beerbobber - The year and time are wrong.

14-Apr-21
Beerbobber I agree - there is a wound behind and on his spine. I enlarged the pictures and could clearly see bloody matted hair. The picture with his head down, after enlargement, it sure looks likes he is missing some hide in his chest area. I think it was a dog/coyote attack. I have plenty of pics from the same camera, exact location of 2 coyotes on multiple nights.

14-Apr-21

Same deer but from a different angle, a few days later.

14-Apr-21

Same deer but from a different angle, a few days later.

• Sitka Gear