spike78 14-Apr-21
Arrownoob 06-May-21
Sosso 06-May-21
Arrownoob 06-May-21
Big Dog 06-May-21
Arrownoob 06-May-21
Arrownoob 06-May-21
14-Apr-21
I know there was a post semi recently about ghillie suits so i apologize for rehashing the topic. I'm looking to step up my bird game and transition over to a mouth call. This will keep me from moving my hands (while also being able to hold a bow and call simultaneously). I got busted a couple times last year on the draw. I'd love to use a ghillie suit I feel like I could blend in a lot more than the camo patterns I wear now. Do you guys have affordable recommendations? Also for those who do use ghillie suits should I be targeting a lighter color for spring bird season? I don't love using blinds because A) I get bored easily and like to change locations if calling is silent and B) I like being out in nature rather than a tent. Let me know what you guys think

14-Apr-21
Only issue I find with a ghille is it’s not great for walking around as it picks up all kinds of brush and sticks.

14-Apr-21

Arrownoob's Link
I got this one for $95 because it was a Customer return. The key is the hood and you can get some netting and make one for real cheap

14-Apr-21
IMO probably better off with the leafy suit

06-May-21
That ghillie did it’s magic today! Hen at 10 yards pacing back and forth staring at me looking for a turkey. Then 2 Hens and 2 jakes came in while I was walking. I just sat down and put the gun on my knee- no backdrop. All 4 were 6-7 yards from me I was just sitting there exposed but with the hood on. Good thing I didn’t get shot. One of my best days turkey hunting! No big toms around.

06-May-21
What noob said with regarding backdrop. Backdrop is absolutely important. If you don't have a good backdrop you may as well be in a Rainbow Brite costume. As for calling, once they are in view, stop calling, it's up to luck or the decoys by then. Also recommend something to cover your eyes, not cammo around your eyes, something to cover them like a mesh or something. They can see your eyes blink and will flip out if they see blinking. Anyhow, Ghillie FTW!

06-May-21
Sosso your advice is sound and increases chances of great interaction. My experience today proved you can break the rules and still get lucky. - no backdrop - nothing covering eyes I was just sitting in open woods on the ground one knee up one knee down, gun on knee. Ghillie hood on, mask over nose and mouth. They were dumb jakes following a pissed off hen. She was looking for my buddy 50 yards away. 2 hens and 2 jakes 10 yards or less no cover at all and they didn’t spook. I’m very impressed with the ghillie also had another hen come in and she was really looking for whatever was making those calls. She paced back and forth in front of us 6-10 times! 1st time hunting this new spot.

06-May-21
Arrow, a learning experience. The suit works.

06-May-21
Such a bizarre spectrum of days: one day picked off at hundreds of yards in the dark followed by 4 birds up in my face in daylight and not seeing me! Takeaway: movement is bad. Still I was fumbling around right before today’s jakes moved in. Looking for a place to hide! I saw a big fan and thought there was a shooter but was mistaken.

06-May-21
Such a bizarre spectrum of days: one day picked off at hundreds of yards in the dark followed by 4 birds up in my face in daylight and not seeing me! Takeaway: movement is bad. Still I was fumbling around right before today’s jakes moved in. Looking for a place to hide! I saw a big fan and thought there was a shooter but was mistaken.

• Sitka Gear