gobbler 09-May-21
Big-Otis-Jeff 13-May-21
babysaph 13-May-21
hoppies56 13-May-21
JayD 16-May-21
gobbler 17-May-21
babysaph 17-May-21
22-Apr-21
Cant believe no one posted.....But SB514 passed and was signed by the Govenor ….. WV will now have every district represented on the Commission and much needed term limits on Commissioner's as well... A good win for the sportsman/woman of WV, despite the backdoor dealings of certain want to be lifetime commissioners..

And no, its not a backdoor to get the buck limits reduced, so don't believe the haters who only bring up uninformed opinions...

Thanks to all that helped on this..............This post should liven this room up, LOL

22-Apr-21
Time will tell if this is a win for the sportsmen of WV - time will tell rather this was a back door deal to get the limit reduced as well.

23-Apr-21
Nothing livens this place up. Until the commissioners are voted on the good ole boy network will still be alive. Until there is a way to make up the lost revenue from the buck tags it won’t happen

25-Apr-21
It will be very interesting to see if Governor Jim put some new faces on the Commission .

26-Apr-21
This is a good thing for WV.

26-Apr-21
It was a wise time to do it. Officially as of today WV will lose a congressional seat. That was a big part of going forward with the bill. Initially the WV DNR Commission was set up in the 1930s to have a Commissioner from each Congressional district. WV had 6 Congressional districts then. Plus 1 at large. Thru the years WV has lost population thus losing Congressional seats. We will have 2 going forward . Logically it makes sense to have 1 from each Of the 6 DNR districts plus one at large.

If it continued based on 2 congressional districts there could be 6 from the north and 1 from the south or visa versa. This new law will make sure all parts of the state have representation going forward.

27-Apr-21
JAyD ...Always a glass half full kinda guy huh? LOL.... I cant believe the way you and your buddies tried to fight this off with the "back door buck" excuse......But then again, when you have the only 2 outdoor writers in the state being handed scripts from the Commissioners who are about to loose their lifetime appointments ,,,I guess i could see maybe where it came from.....Maybe.......More so it was who was pushing it ......the hate for that group ..

Total representation is what is was about, nothing more, nothing less.....

27-Apr-21
Here is my take. Hasn’t changed. WV can’t lose money from deer tags. Period. They would have to make up that money . Hunters also want deer to hunt. Limits won’t be reduced because of that . I also don’t think the doe limits will be decreased either . If no one kills 3 bucks then reducing the limit won’t matter. I can see why the DNR does it. Reducing the limit of bucks just takes away revenue. I was of the opinion earlier that lots of bucks were being killed but since they are not then reducing it won’t help with bigger bucks. Now, however if you want bigger bucks you would need to go to a one buck limit or antler restrictions. And as far as the commissioners you can have 50 of em and the governor will say who they are. I say vote on em every 4 years .

28-Apr-21
I could be wrong but wasnt Director McDaniel behind this bill from the start . Term limits and equal representation were the reason as i understood . I dont see how that could be a bad thing for sportsman.

28-Apr-21
I agree

29-Apr-21
I got one question. Why didn’t he make his position have a term limit. Is he not appointed. Can he not like the other commissioners be removed and someone else appointed by the old ways. I agree representation of the state is good. I guess we’ll get an idea of what’s going on by the people pushed by the director for vacant positions.

Am I wrong though. If term limits are awesome ( which they are) why not include himself his position

29-Apr-21
I got one question. Why didn’t he make his position have a term limit. Is he not appointed. Can he not like the other commissioners be removed and someone else appointed by the old ways. I agree representation of the state is good. I guess we’ll get an idea of what’s going on by the people pushed by the director for vacant positions.

Am I wrong though. If term limits are awesome ( which they are) why not include himself his position

29-Apr-21
Bearcoons , YES he should have term limit also , as so should all elected or appointed officials state or federal. However we all know that is never going to happen .

29-Apr-21
Who are we talking about? LOL. The Governor?

29-Apr-21
BOJ - always have to make things personal don’t you LOL. Well I would much rather be a glass is half full instead of one who says the glass is half empty to be honest with you. You all are always blaming others for that glass of yours being half empty and most of the time it’s on things that are simply not true. Just look at the numbers from NDA - in their report the numbers from WV are looking pretty darn good but there are those half empty guys like you who still say everyone is out there shooting 3 spikes.

As to the why this bill was passed - it was all about the buck limit - heck take credit for your win. After the buck limit was voted on last August - the very next day you all started with the commissioners have to go theme. The very next day you all started a push for that and that’s ok - you won - but stop with the BS that it was for everyone gets equal representation. Equal representation could have happen under current conditions.

My question for you is why do you all have to try to hide what you are doing or what you want ? You wanted commissioners gone - looks like you are getting your wish - be happy. Another question - to me it seems like you have the Director siding with you which I have thought all along. You have people like you and gobbler and others here who gave our deer management here a grade of an F on this site a few years ago. You know during the last commission meeting our director pretty much said the people who run our deer management would be his dream team - said he would rate them as the best in North America! Those people he rated so high put out a report saying that lowering the buck limit would virtually have no affect on things. So you have commissioners who followed the best biologist in North America and voted no on lowering the limit. So how do you feel about the director saying we have the best deer guys in North America and those people say lowering the limit won’t affect a thing - I will try to post the link to that report from them here soon. I can post a video clip from the director as well saying those guys are his dream team.

Anymore I really don’t know what our director stands for to be truthful with you. I do know when he extended the comment period on the buck limit - I saw where he went to the BBM Facebook page several times urging people to comment - which is fine and and dandy - except didn’t see where he went to other sites urging others to comment. Oh and BOJ you did a good job there getting people to comment - congrats on working on that. I just think when one group is targeted with urges to comment and then certain people are cut out of surveys like landowners were - well I can see will results can be shifted for certain numbers to be obtained.

During last August meeting - the director stated before the vote that if anytime was a good time to vote on lowering the limit - it would have been at that time because DNR funds were looking really good. Again great news - but here recently I heard that because DNR employees were not backing lowering the limit that a freeze on overtime pay was put in place - to be truthful with you I don’t know if that is true or not - it’s something that heard here just recently - I hope it’s just a rumor - like I said in my previous post - time will tell all about this bill being passed.

29-Apr-21
The director is appointed by the governor and can be relieved of his duties at any time. The director's term historically is the same as the governor.

29-Apr-21
McDaniel was the major player in getting commission overhauled, As the news headline said back in Feb, McDaniel wants an overhaul of natural resources commission , is he in the pocket of a certain group NO , no back door wheeling and dealing here , Just something that should have been done a long time along ,

29-Apr-21
Hoppies I never said he was in the pocket of any groups but I do think he sides with them in thinking the limit should be reduced. As to the wheeling and dealing - there are certain perceptions here that must be taken into account is all I am saying. Hoppies if you were the director of what you called your dream team of deer management people - people you said were the best in North America - would you listen to them? When they put a paper out saying that the buck limit should remain as it is - would you listen to them?

29-Apr-21
Rutbuster that’s what I thought. But incoming governor can retain him or let him go. Correct. Now this is where it gets tricky. They say the commissioners where lifetime appointments. Can anyone show me in writing that is true. If I’m not mistaken any governor can replace any commissioner as they see fit. So I’m fact there’s is no life time appointment.

29-Apr-21
Rutbuster that’s what I thought. But incoming governor can retain him or let him go. Correct. Now this is where it gets tricky. They say the commissioners where lifetime appointments. Can anyone show me in writing that is true. If I’m not mistaken any governor can replace any commissioner as they see fit. So I’m fact there’s is no life time appointment.

29-Apr-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
JayD, if you’re going to go on a rant at least try to get some facts straight. Landowners were part of the survey by Southwick which the DNR has used for multiple surveys in the past. If I’m not mistaken the Chief of Wildlife pushed for Southwick to be used for the survey because of their excellent work and good relationship with WV DNR .

In favor of reducing buck limit from 3-2 +16% Resident license buyers 56-40%

+14% non-license buying landowners 55-41%

+12% Nonresident license buyers 52-40% The %age in all groups to make it 100% didn’t care one way or the other

29-Apr-21

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Seriously Commissioner Burnette - what’s your problem? Who went on a rant? BOJ asked questions and made accusations after all I did is say time will tell if this bill will be good for WV and if was a backdoor to get rid of certain commissioners.

Now as to your fact checking - oh you do about as well as they do on Facebook - maybe you ought to apply for a fact checker job with them after your commissioner term ends this Summer. Picture I am posting is from the minutes of a past commission meeting - the director’s own words about not wanting landowners. And when did I imply it was the Southwick survey?

I don’t know why you all want to continue and make things personal but I am fed up with it - I can take it to your level if you want me to but I prefer it stops now.

29-Apr-21
Sorry if I offended you. I just don’t like attacks pointed towards the Director. You had said landowners were cut out of a survey. The latest and biggest survey commissioned by DNR was the Southwick survey. Landowners were clearly one of the targeted focus groups to survey .

Thanks for career suggestion but I’m not really looking for a job. I simply took a picture from the commissioned survey to show that landowners were included in the buck limit survey.

29-Apr-21
Well I’m just a dumb ole boy but if no one kills 3 bucks just leave it alone . Heck make it a 5 bucks limit. Some people will buy 5 tags. Lol. It might help is there is a one buck limit. You have to go to two before one. Kind of like the anti gun people. Take a little at a time. I still think it’s easier to go to Midwest to kill a big buck. I have a couple friends that do it every year. The DNR needs the money. and I need the meat .

29-Apr-21
Well I’m just a dumb ole boy but if no one kills 3 bucks just leave it alone . Heck make it a 5 bucks limit. Some people will buy 5 tags. Lol. It might help is there is a one buck limit. You have to go to two before one. Kind of like the anti gun people. Take a little at a time. I still think it’s easier to go to Midwest to kill a big buck. I have a couple friends that do it every year. The DNR needs the money. and I need the meat .

29-Apr-21
JR - the director made a statement at the last meeting saying that if he were to pick a dream team of deer management people he would look no further then the people he has in WV - that they are some of the best deer management people in North America! Those same people put a report out back in 2019 on lowering the limit. Short summary the report said they recommended keeping the limit at 3. They said the one and only advantage to lowering the limit to 2 would be it would have some hunters perceive that they are doing something for more mature deer but the actual affect of lowering the limit from 3 to 2 would pretty much amount to nothing. Some of our commissioners actually listen to our professional biologist - some of the best in North America and voted no to lowering the limit - others commissioners did not.

Immediately following the vote a certain crowd started a push to get rid of commissioners. Now those people want to say that the buck limit vote has nothing to do with it and it’s just about representation.

Truthfully I like the idea of better representation but how this has been brought about seems sketchy to me. I don’t like the idea that any governor can wipe out an entire commission and start anew. I am not saying this because it is Justice who is the governor - I would say the same for any other. Our governor gets to appoint a director of his choosing - to me that should be enough - I think they should have made a real change and had the commissioners elected by the people. To me that sounds like better representation for all of us.

29-Apr-21
Bearcoons the incoming governor can retain the Director or let him go. The governor can appoint whomever he wishes. I believe the commissioners had terms limits that were really long. I believe the governor also appointed the commissioners but this is usually done after being referred by the director. I also think the appointees also had to be confirmed by the legislators. Maybe Gobbler can validate what I am stating.

29-Apr-21
Yes, Director and Commissioners serve at will and pleasure of Governor. Governors usually change directors when they get into office but don’t have to. A Governor has the authority to change Director and/or Commissioners whenever he or she wants to with no need to give a reason. It’s usually not done because of previous precedent, but it has been done before at least with a Commissioner or two in the past. I think all of our surrounding states and in general region with the exception of Ohio have term limits for their game and fish commission. It’s my understanding to have new blood flow in and out in a quicker manner. The legislature in last few years seem to have tended to make laws that have been more in line with surrounding states. Again, I can’t help what people think but I KNOW a big part of the change in law had a lot to do with equal representation throughout the state and that became more apparent that a change away from congressional districts and to DNR districts was needed when it became more apparent that we were going to lose another US congressional district. IDK if buck limit is going to change or not. I don’t know who will be on Commission. IDK if I’ll be on Commission. I do know something had to be done to get and keep representation throughout the state and not have it concentrated in any 1 or 2 areas. I don’t think the Senate and House are going to pass a completely new law and the Governor signs law based solely on a buck limit.

Any appointment by Governor has to be with advice and consent of Senate. What we usually call Senate Confirmation.

29-Apr-21
Jayd , A person in management such as director McDaniel can have a dream team but that does not necessary mean he has to agree with ALL their management ideas . And from what you stated about him taking the side of a certain group on lowering the buck limit then he must not totally agree with his dream team . As I said before it will be very interesting going forward to see how this plays out and who GOV JIM appoints to the commission .

29-Apr-21
I don’t have the most recent data , what I do have is a couple years old because Federal data runs behind but due to record firearm sales in last year and a half and the fact ammo is getting sold before it hits the shelves I would suspect that most Game and fish agencies are going to be set to receive some serious cash from PR funds in the next 1-2 years. Maybe for a while depending on what gun laws the Biden administration is going to propose.

29-Apr-21
Butbthey won’t get much unless ammo is sold. Can’t find it here. Your area may be different

29-Apr-21
But they won’t get much unless ammo is sold. Can’t find it here. Your area may be different

29-Apr-21
If the gubner can appoint them they can come from any district. Unless I am missing something

30-Apr-21
Hoppies total agree with you - like I said in my first post - time will tell us everything about this.

30-Apr-21
Gobbler just read your post about how you don't like attacks on the director. Seriously attacks? Pointing out things he has done is now consider an attack? Please don't tell me you have been WOKE now. You do know that you can have disagreements with someone and still like them?

I like the guy - heck just back in January he invited me to come tour Cacapon with him but I had to decline because I had just tested positive with covid. I don't agree with everything he does but most times he has tried to explain things from his point of view.

30-Apr-21
Time will tell. Seems as if a law was created to accomplish something that could already be accomplished. That in itself is a waste of taxpayers money. I’ll just wait to see who is nominated to fill this positions, and their agendas. It be a shame if a commission votes to enact something that our own biologists don’t support.

30-Apr-21
Time will tell. Seems as if a law was created to accomplish something that could already be accomplished. That in itself is a waste of taxpayers money. I’ll just wait to see who is nominated to fill this positions, and their agendas. It be a shame if a commission votes to enact something that our own biologists don’t support.

30-Apr-21

30-Apr-21
JayD, my degree of wokeness is pretty much the same as it always been, if you have a disagreement with the Director then tell him or put it on a forum where he’s at. Don’t type it on a site that he probably doesn’t know even exists . Don’t do it behind his back ,

30-Apr-21
LOL and it continues - it will never change with you Gobbler - you think he doesn’t know my feelings on all of this stuff? I said my wish was for the personal crap to stop but you still continue to spew this stuff. Here is the second warning - please stop I would rather not go in that direction. Degree of wholeness ROFL love it - got a good laugh in on that one. I don’t need to go to a forum he is on - I either just email, pm, text or call him as he does me. The only other forum that I know he visits (actually it’s a hyped up Facebook Page) well they banned people who don’t follow the regimes one dimensional flawed philosophy. It’s the philosophy that our WV wildlife biologist have said won’t amount to a hill of beans - biologist that are some of the best in North America- I do agree with Director McDaniel when he says that by the way! Ummm let’s see what was that grade you gave the deer management for here in WV Gobbler? Were you attacking when you gave that grade or were you just expressing your opinion?

30-Apr-21
jayd,you are the only one making it personal. Attack and play the victim and then report . 2nd warning ? Next you report ? Lol

30-Apr-21
LOL MP figured with some time you would show up. So I am the only one making it personal. Have you read all the post? I don’t know why I even asked that - you only see one way and that’s it. You all are in attack mode once again - LOL I never play the victim - what I will do is speak out and I will start using the same dirty tactics that you all do. It’s just plain and simple.

30-Apr-21
You are the only one threatening people. I am not sure I know what you mean when you give a person a second warning and then say you do not want it to go that direction.

30-Apr-21
JayD, I meant wokeness. You asked if I were woke? Spellcheck changed it to wholeness or something. I only responded to you because u brought my name up in a response to Stephen Jeff and threw in gobbler.

If anyone has any questions just ask. I won’t respond to anymore from you Jay D. I don’t want to face a 3rd warning .

30-Apr-21
Big-Ottis-Jeff nailed it by saying this would liven up this room. LOL.

30-Apr-21
Rutbuster yes he did nail it LOL.

Well MP let me make this as simple as I can for you. My first warning was to lets just make it about the post and not get into the personal attacks again like you all repeatedly do. That wasn't good for some of you - Gobbler says I brought his name up - only reason I did was to state the fact that some of you gave our deer management a grade of F even though our Director says we have some of the best deer management people in North America. And many of us here hold the director in high regards.

Gobbler found that enough to be offended and started personally attacking and BOJ pretty much started off the get go. I responded by posting minutes from the meeting on what the director said about landowners to show i knew what I was saying. Told gobbler his fact checking abilities were of Facebook quality. Then he accuses me of of attacking the director and going behind the directors back. Believe me the director pretty much knows all I have said because i tell him the same. One thing I haven't done is show the director some of the PM's i have gotten from individuals here that were pretty backstabbing statements. Maybe I just really need to clear the air with the director the more I think about it. Now you - MP accuse me of threatening people - normally most intelligent people would realize that a second warning follows the first warning about let just not get into the personal attacks on this stuff again and just state our opinions - that request seems to be too much for you to grasp.

So i will simply say as i said in my first post here - time will tell all about 514. Now lets see if you and the rest of the regime can do the same. LOL

30-Apr-21
Gobbler,i agree and will not respond to him anymore. I do not think he is a stable person .

30-Apr-21
Rofl stable enough to have already gotten 3 pm’s from others thanking me for getting you not to comment anymore. I am stable enough to realize and reply back that it is much to early though to think anything will keep you quiet.

Edit as to not offend anyone.......

06-May-21
Man, get tied up at work for a week and miss out...LOL

JayD- u said above that this was a backdoor deal to get limits in? Its not....never has been.

Did i want some commissioner's gone? Heck yeah, they need to be gone. They may have served a purpose 15-20 years ago, but not now. They are still stuck in that time period. Times change, they haven't.

We keep saying we need new hunters, but we throw the same product out for them....How do we recruit them? We add what they want and see, which 4 of the commissioners don't want, changes in anything...Other ways include , other than family/friends is social media...How many commissioners you see on here? Facebook? Just about any hunting/fishing related site on Facebook we have 1 on there promoting the state and what's happening, and like it r not its Greg....Promoting what he is suppose to promote, the state , the new facilities/activities at the state parks, upcoming hunting/fishing stuff....What other commissioner have done that?

What is the rate at which commissioners that have attended all the meetings in say the last 3-4 years? I have the data, will have to look it up, but several of the ones i am talking about haven't been to many, with the exception of Milne/Wilson, they do attend but pay no attention, ask no question, and have been caught sleeping ( i will dig up that pic).

This was about representation , all commissioners should have been in favor, but the ones who have done nothing for years fought it tooth and nail, just like you did , and all your buddies....Fought against representation......Let that sink in,,,,You would rather have your buddies in there than let the people of the biggest districts in the state sit at home without anyone fighting for them or keeping their needs and wants at the forefront....You fight it because another group is for it ,,,,,BUck limits on the brain.

The other item i see , is that 4 of these commissioners went behind the backs of every sportsman in the state and tried to do a backdoor deal about getting the catch and release section opened up...Not 1 public meeting, not 1 biologist on board......Nothing....Thats illegal's as can be and to be honest, they all should have been let go then ( The Gov could do that before the bill). You even posted the email from the director that he sent to one of the commissioners about that ( That Commissioner should be let go for giving you all that email as well, but in all honesty, it actually helped show the behind the doors stuff we all knew was happening). What was their reason behind it? One would be curious to find out.

So all that above shows one thing, time for representation to all , time for a change, and that these certain commissioners would do anything to keep that position, even going behind the very sportsman they are supposed to helping.

Now, the buck limits.........Yeah we all know they need changed, even you know deep down, but that's a different argument ....For another day.......Or i can start another post....liven this place up some...LOL

06-May-21
Kids aren’t going to hunt unless made too. Lol.

06-May-21
Kids aren’t going to hunt unless made too. Lol.

06-May-21
Can’t complete with phones and video games .

06-May-21
Can’t complete with phones and video games .

07-May-21
LOL BOJ wow you do know how to tell a tall tale. Good job.

I said we will know soon if this was done in a backdoor way - this summer we will know for sure.

As to commissioners all of them have their good and their bad - just like each one of us. Even those that I haven't agreed with I have thanked for stepping up doing the job for basically no pay and just reimbursements. Believe me there is stuff out there that can be used against each one of them - it is a bash and burn society we live in now so I guess we have to get use to it. I find that sad.

As to all the things you rant about - wasn't there legal advisors there and didn't the director ask for their help during that meeting? Also as to your initial response and you have stated this several times - at no time have there been any request to be lifetime terms for any commissioners. You do know that the guy who will make these new appointments - pretty sure he has reappointed some of or at least one of the commissioners when there term were up previously. Seems to me you don't trust the top guys decisions he has already made - so why now?

In my opinion if this was truly about representation for all then we the sportsman would get to choose our commissioner from our district. Why not allow us to vote for commissioners - that is how the bill should have been set up! From my understand the only reason the bill passed was because of lobbyist getting involved. Its not that I have anything against the governor as well - he gets to appoint his director - why should he get to pick the commissioners as well? I would say that no matter who the governor was - its nothing against him at all. Lets make it truly about representation!

Gosh get off the buddies thing - the only commissioner I know somewhat and even converse with is Gobbler. You talk about the backdoor dealing I did and my buddies did - I contact each of my local legislators personally and emailed the rest of the our states legislators letting them know how I felt about this. I talked to most of my friends here locally and abroad and asked them to do the same and many of them did. So you do not like that we did this? You take offense and want to call us name - so when did you start working for BigTech and decided you can hush the people?

I know you and your buddies don't like to hear the other side and you all like to kick out those who don't agree with you. What I guess you and your buddies sites is up to about a billion members now? ROFL Sorry but I am going to continue to push for what I feel is best - if that goes against your opinion then deal with it. Just don't tell me this is for my representation because it does nothing for me it does nothing for JR or any other person. This bill only makes sure one person's ideas get represented because he gets to appoint not only the commissioners but the person who runs the whole show - the director. Tell me how that is giving any of us representation? Now all those people you think who are my buddies - few of them don't agree with me on this thought.

As to to the buck limit - I will start another post here soon with the report from our DNR saying lowering the limit would basically do nothing. Oh you do know the director has pretty much said the same thing don't you? The only thing lowering the limit would do is to make it look to guys like you that the DNR is doing something about buck management. They say its nothing more than perception - sorry I don't want our DNR run by perception.

07-May-21
Babysaph, I need to some what disagree ,,NOT all youth fall into that group you speak about , I have 2 nephews who love being outdoors fishing, hunting , My neighbor grandsons both took turkeys this year and they where not forced . Sure some youth just like some adults arent interested in the outdoors . Best thing we can do for our youth is try and encourage them . Heck i take my phone when I go hunting just the way things are in 2021. I have seen tons of video and photos from hunters using their cell phone . got to meet some of this kids half way and once they find out what fun it can be some are hooked .

07-May-21
JayD, a Governor gets to pick their DNR Director and gets to choose DNR Commissioners the same reason they get to pick their staff, cabinet posts , any other state government commissioners , Etc. Because they were elected Governor. That’s how it’s done and is the privilege of being elected Governor.

There were no lobbyists involved that I know of , or anyone else that I know knows of . SMH

07-May-21
The bill passed because a lobbyist got involved? Please, please state the name of the lobbyist. I find this hilarious. Wish he or she got involved sooner.

And point blank, Chambers and Wilson tried to screw sportsmen with backdoor crap.

07-May-21
Gobbler I understand that is the way it is set up now. What it seems like your saying to me that this bill was more about the governor’s privilege of appointing commissioners instead of being about representation.

Again I am pretty sure it could be setup to allow the people to vote for a dnr commissioner as well. Pretty sure we vote for the commissioner of Ag.

Just seems to me that approach in electing commissioners would be more about representation for us then the way it is now.

As to what I heard about lobbyist - well after who all came out of the shadows to make comments about that and to even been sent pm’s asking me who told me that - sort has me believing what I heard is true now.

08-May-21
JAYD , I agree some appointments made by governor should be voted on by the people . but comparing Commissioner of Ag to a Natural Resources Commissioner is really a stretch,

08-May-21
I was not comparing them at all - sometimes in here people just Go really far out of the way to disagree with someone.

All I am Saying is if we truly want representation for the sportsmen then let the sportsmen do the choosing. It appears some of you don’t want the privilege to do so that’s your choice as well.

08-May-21
JAYD , The same could be said for any commission or board member appointed by the governor . We dont vote on PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISION MEMBERS so i guess we have no true representation there either . Going fishing , have a nice weekend

08-May-21
JayD, I really don’t how the neurons in your brain work . I said nothing about the bill being done so a Governor can exercise his privileges to appoint Commissioners. A Governor could have done that under the previous law anyway. That’s a fact based in state code. The law was done to change the way commissioners are appointed, moving it from being based on Congressional districts to DNR districts. AGAIN, because initially we had 6 Congressional districts and next year we will be down to 2 congressional districts. In order to assure equal representation throughout the state it was changed to DNR districts instead of congressional districts .

The Senate, House, and Governor thought that was a good idea and a good way to address the loss of congressional districts and now it will be new state code as to where Commissioners will be appointed from.

It’s really pretty simple . I’m sure the conspiracy theories will continue.

As for electing Commissioners, I guess that’s an idea. But how many people really want a Commission that would essentially be a “bought” position.

Elections cost big money. What kind of people would spend big money to run for a position that pays no money? Would those type of people really be representing the sportsmen and sportswomen of WV ?

Sounds more like a recipe for well funded out of state anti-hunting, anti-trapping organizations to buy seats on the DNR commission. I don’t think that’s in our best interest.

The only “lobbyists” involved were the sportsmen and sportswomen of WV letting their feelings be known to Senators and Delegates of the WV legislature. The idea of some “ evil lobbyist “ is another conspiracy theory trying to explain why this bill passed by those that didn’t want it to pass.

The reason the bill passed was because the majority of citizens wanted it to pass. Simple as that

08-May-21
I am glad Hoppie's. I recently went to my cabin and my neighbor had his boy up there will him. The kid did not come out of the cabin all weekend. Played video games. I am glad you are lucky enough to have kids around that like to get outdoors. And you are right about lots of people beside kids are not interested in the outdoors. I take my cell phone hunting too and love technology but am not addicted to it or FB or any social media. or having my nose in my phone 24-7. I personally think all of this social media and phones and video games are helping to ruin our country. Of course that is just me and I am an old fart. LOL. Some kids can't even tell time on a clock unless its digital. Sad really. Ok sorry for the rant and enjoy the kids and take them hunting. As you know they will be better off for it. Oh and one more thing. Lets get a 5 buck limit petition started. LOL

08-May-21
I am glad Hoppie's. I recently went to my cabin and my neighbor had his boy up there will him. The kid did not come out of the cabin all weekend. Played video games. I am glad you are lucky enough to have kids around that like to get outdoors. And you are right about lots of people beside kids are not interested in the outdoors. I take my cell phone hunting too and love technology but am not addicted to it or FB or any social media. or having my nose in my phone 24-7. I personally think all of this social media and phones and video games are helping to ruin our country. Of course that is just me and I am an old fart. LOL. Some kids can't even tell time on a clock unless its digital. Sad really. Ok sorry for the rant and enjoy the kids and take them hunting. As you know they will be better off for it. Oh and one more thing. Lets get a 5 buck limit petition started. LOL

08-May-21
The Governor gets to pick his staff because they work for him. The commissioners work for the sportsmen. I say elect them and that will help get rid of the good ole boys. Otherwise just have the Governor set the laws.

08-May-21
The Governor gets to pick his staff because they work for him. The commissioners work for the sportsmen. I say elect them and that will help get rid of the good ole boys. Otherwise just have the Governor set the laws.

08-May-21
Sorry for the double posts. But lets face it the Governor picks his buddies. And as we know they don't always do what the Sportsmen want or what the DNR guys say what is best for the deer herd. And to think that the only way to have commissioners bought is by voting for them is laughable. And It wouldn't cost that much to add their names to ballots every 4 years. But at this point in my life I am just enjoying hunting and fishing. Going to shoot my bow.

08-May-21
There are literally dozens and dozens , if not hundreds of Boards and Commissions within WV state government, with hundreds if not thousands of board members and commissioners.

To require all board members or commissioners to be voted on is not a realistic undertaking.

There would be hundreds, likely in the low thousands on the ballot every election. That is not practical.

There is a reason why WV and most every state have laws that give a Governor the ability to appoint board members and commissioners to the various State boards and commissions.

In most states, board and commission appointments are a privilege and responsibility of an elected Governor because it’s the only practical and realistic way to do it .

08-May-21
Well gobbler were you in Charleston when the session was going on? I am just hearing what people who were actually there told me.

Maybe it’s time to start paying the commissioners some that way more people would possibly want the position instead of those who just know people in high places.

You and your conspiracies - it always comes down to that for ya. You talk about the anti hunting and trapping groups who are going to come here and buy seats on the commission. All I know is now we have another state park controlled hunt which is not happening this year under this administration. Why stop a hunt? Why not lower the number of permits issued if there is a concern of killing too many deer for some reason?

As to the neurons part - you were the one who said it was part of being governor - he gets the privilege to appoint commissioners.

You see I think the people of WV are smart enough to not let the anti groups come in and buy seats on our commission - think we have proven that the past couple of elections. Guess you think the people are not smart enough to do so and need someone to do it for us.

And as to all of these backdoor deals and conspiracies you talk of - why do we even have a natural resources committee if a bill that deals with restructuring our DNR commission gets pull from them? What’s that all about?

08-May-21
Jayd,

I thought state park hunts happened according to biologist recommendations? The guys you said you trust.

And we need to start paying commisioners. I hear that we can't afford losing a third buck tag but now a suggestion is to pay commisioners?

I seriously doubt one percent of sportsmen know the name of their seven commissioners. I don't want a guy that trout fishes only deciding who is best for whitetails or vice versa. I also didn't want grandma who didn't hunt deciding if I can hunt on Sunday.

08-May-21
Why I am even commenting with you, Cory goes against my better judgment. Was it our biologist who stopped the Chief Logan hunt? Did that possibly set the stage for determining if hunts should be allowed or not on our parks? Your letter to the editor was so nicely written and you spoke highly of our professional biologist but everywhere else you just want to bash them.

And again I understand you and gobbler don’t want the sportsman or people of WV choosing who will represent us - somebody needs to do it for us.

I have always said I am not for the buck tag because it takes away hunting opportunities for us. As to not paying commissioners- pretty sure the director said back in August that the DNR was financially strong - I guess using the funds things only works when it serves your purpose. Same ole same ole.

08-May-21
Yes JayD, I was in Charleston during the legislative session. That’s where I live. That’s where my home is . So ? . Guilty as charged ! For being at my home. I think I may have went to my farm a few days.

I did not go to the capitol a single time this session. I think they weren’t letting anyone in ?

08-May-21
Ok gobbler let be more specific- we’re you at the Capital or in the offices? You already answered. LOL

I am just telling you what I was told by several people and it’s people who should know at least I think so. It cracks me up that you all are making such a big deal about it.

It really cracked me up when one of ya tried to link me up with several other of the commissioners who you all don’t like! That is just hilarious. I will tell you like I told him - the commissioner I know the most is you Greg! I have never met or talked with the others. You want to hear a funny story.

At the meeting last week, after it was over I was talking to Krantz and Crum both of them seemed a little frustrated over my comments on trying to allow the public to have better access to data and do some research such as with our WMA. Someone came up behind me and stuck a card in my hand - I didn’t even get to see who it was I looked at the card and it was Wilson. That’s the closest I have ever been to the guy and to be honest with ya I couldn’t tell you if it was him or not because I was listening to the other two. Cracks me up that I am suppose to be in cohoots with some secret organization.

After our little conversation there Greg - did I seem unstable to you? LOL seriously you all need to take a chill pill and stop with the conspiracies- it’s all about opinions to me - when did it become so that we can’t share our opinions?

08-May-21
Let me ask you this . Why would Crum and Krantz seem frustrated because of a request for more public access to data and deer research? The data is already there. They have it. It’s public information, paid for by the sportsmen and sportswomen of WV. The DNR salaries are paid for by the sportsmen and sportswomen of WV . Why would someone be frustrated about a request for data that’s already there bought and paid for by sportsmen and sportswomen?

Think about that for a minute.

08-May-21
There is a reason CRum and crew dont want to make it easier for more readily available info......Again, why come up out of 1995 to 2021 ?

Just like all Commissioners should have a Government Email...Real time data should be a real thing in WV, or even couple days later i could see...

ANd Wilson stuck a card in your hand..........LOL..........Outstanding.....Sure it wasnt a job application? .Kidding of course....

08-May-21
LOL out of all I had to say there and that’s what ya have to ask me. Well I think as I do on here sometimes I didn’t make myself clear enough when I was commenting. I know this will surprise you but I was trying to make my comments there short. LOL Both men were professional and weren’t trying to be rude or persuasive- after I cleared up what I had to say I believe both were more understanding. When you are constantly bombarded by people who normally are negative as many of them have been witness too - I am sure it’s some times difficult to understand what some people want. Well of course some of you all have no idea about this because you all are so pleasant to converse with. LOL

Believe me if I thought both were trying to ignore or put down a request from a sportsman especially me - I think I have somewhat of an in with the Director that he would clear it up. There wasn’t any need for that though.

08-May-21
Oh gosh gobbler I apologize I have said the one commissioner I know somewhat is you! I bet you are labeled as a spy soon by some on your side!

08-May-21
JayD, u said they appeared frustrated. I simply asked why would they be frustrated. I’m glad it worked out to your satisfaction. I really am.

JayD, you’ve made 2 comments today about 1. A lobbyist for the bill, and 2. Me at the Capitol . Both are 100% wrong, and quite frankly BULLCRAP, but you presented them as fact.

IDK, I can’t tell u what to do or not to do but I would think a reasonable person would start questioning their source of information and why false claims are spreading. But that’s just me .

Anyway, I’m done on this topic.

IDK if I’ll be reappointed/appointed or not. I guess that will be sorted out in the next 4-6 weeks . Meanwhile, I’m shifting my focus to hunting an Alaskan brown bear in a couple of weeks.

08-May-21
Gobbler please tell me where I said you were at the freaking capital? I asked if you were in Charleston forgetting you lived there - added were you at the capital where I was told stuff happened.You are saying you are 100% certain no lobbyist had anything to do with it - good for you! If you weren’t there - I take your word for it - well how do you know those who told me it was so are lying?

All I said was I have been told by people who were there that delegates were being wined and dined. So how is that me stating that it’s fact? Please do tell me?

Again take a darn chill pill! I am not accusing any of you all of even having anything at all to do with it because from what I was told it was from much bigger fish than you all!

So here we go again gobbler - I was hoping for better then this but it just isn’t going to happen. Wish you luck on your bear hunt. I won’t comment on your comments and ask for you to do same because none of you can have a civil conversation.

09-May-21
One last thing. It was mentioned that SB 514 (Commission bill) didn’t go thru committee. It did go thru committee and passed committee vote to go to full House vote . Amendments were presented to the bill and both were voted down on second reading. On 3rd reading the bill passed as written without amendments . Since it was the same bill that the Senate had passed earlier in the session it was reported as passing both chambers of the legislature and sent to Governors office

13-May-21
JayD you absolutely insinuated that Gobbler was at the capital ...so list your source..You said " All I said was I have been told by people who were there that delegates were being wined and dined." Which delegates? lets get this out there then.....If the truth is what you seek, lets find out.....But again, we know your not about the truth, you are about trying to smear certain people and groups for your own agenda and the agenda of your buddies....

You and team Bassenett and the anti- WV representation group got beat, but the sportsman/sportswoman of WV won......And back to my statement somewhere above.....Who in their right mind would be against this? Why wouldn't every commissioner be on board with this, isnt it their job to represent the people of the state? all of them? Shows where their loyalty is and what they think about the people of WV...They don't care, they worry about themselves 1st , friends 2nd ....And when i say the commissioners , i mean the likes of Wilson, MIlne , Cauffuro.....The ones sitting idly by and not doing a thing.......What have they done ? in say the last 4 years?

13-May-21
Don’t need to do anything they are appointed and not voted on

13-May-21
BABYSAPH. If the people voted for every commissioner or board member appointed by governor the ballot would pages and pages long . There are over 200 commissions and boards that have members appointed by the governor to represent the people . Just the facts of how things are done .

16-May-21
BOJ you absolutely are right I said I was told by some who were there - did I say Gobbler was one who told me? In no way did I say gobbler was there and that is a big fat out lie but I expect no less from you.

This is absolutely hilarious - I have been trying to figure out why me saying something that i was told is so upsetting to some of you? Am I 100 percent certain it happened - nope because I was not there but those who told me were there and I doubt they lied to me.

Now some say they are 100% certain what I was told didn't happen but yet they were not there - so how does that work?

Back to the point of why this upsets some of you - I actually think I have figured it out. During this whole post - your little regime goes into attack mode for just something that I was told. I get messaged by some who say they were responsible for flipping a few delegates and getting the bill passed. I was told that I and MY CREW (LOL - i have no crew) are just upset that a group off of Facebook beat us. I was told that I just threw crap out there to see if it would stick. LOL why would that need to be done - its not like it is going to change anything! So the only reason I can figure some are so upset that i relayed what I was told - is because some are taking it that if lobbyist were involved then they wouldn't get the credit for it!

Here within the last month or month and half - i actually made a post on another forum actually giving some of you all credit! BOJ you should listen to this - the reason I made the post was partially because of you. In a topic on that forum things were starting to get dirty - I made a post towards the end - saying the going dirty is not getting us anywhere. Said if the plan is to keep the limit the way it is - we need to do some of stuff you all have done. Some of you have worked hard. BOJ you got on your groups Facebook page and pushed and urged people to response to comments or surveys. Others have gotten automated emails up for others to sign and send in. Some have urged people to go to meetings - again some of you have worked hard - heck I recognized you all for that. Here I was told to pretty much just stop relaying what I was told (which doesn't harm your side what so ever) and to just recognize your side won. How many times do I have to tell you to just be happy with your win? I ain't saying it again.

17-May-21
The bill passed for the same reason any bill passes. The majority of the public wanted it to pass . Senate passed it, then House passed it. We are a Constitutional Republic with a democratic voting system. Delegates and Senators aren’t going to vote for a bill the majority of citizens don’t want.

It really is that simple

17-May-21
I got it Hoppies but you cant expect them to be fired by the guys that appointed them. I understand it is what it is but it will not change under those guidelines. What you are saying is that because there is no vote because it is not practical that complaining is useless. If I know I can not be fired then maybe I won't feel the pressure to work as hard. Human nature. Doesn't really effect me and my land and because I am too old to see it changed I am just going to enjoy hunting on my land.

• Sitka Gear