Jebediah 28-Apr-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 28-Apr-21
Jebediah 28-Apr-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 28-Apr-21
Jebediah 28-Apr-21
Cougar 28-Apr-21
Jebediah 28-Apr-21
23-Apr-21
It seems like there are three central topics on this web site—hunting, shooting, and tree climbing. It seems like a surprising fraction of the total concerns tree climbing. And I’m as guilty as anybody...and here I have a tree-climbing question. And a lot of time on my hands. Last year I was using a Hunter Safety System rope as my tether. It was not new, and it was pretty stiff, which I found helpful. I’ve since read that rope can become stiffer because of being dirty. This cannot be a good thing. I got a new HSS rope, and it’s quite limp, difficult to manage in my system. So I got a length of Samson Predator rope, significant improvement. But I’m wondering if there’s an even-better option, in terms of stiffness. I read that static rope is stiffer than dynamic rope, and that maybe “KM III” rope would be a candidate. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

23-Apr-21
No input on rope as I am a noob but staying on the subject of ropes with a belay device. I reached out to Madrock about their “Safeguard” and one thing they mentioned when I asked if using a 7/16” rope (11.1125 mm) would be ok, “The Safeguard would work but as the rope ages and sometime can bloat, it will be harder to feed the rope through the device.”

23-Apr-21
Ropeman, it says right on it, requires rope between 10 and 13mm. Not a lot of wiggle room.

23-Apr-21
Jeb i think there may have been a recall on those ropes. I know i returned 2 but ive forgotten the brand. Im sure it would be an easy find on the internet!

23-Apr-21
Which ropes? That’s kind of scary.

23-Apr-21
Dynamic rope has built in stretch under load and static rope does not stretch much if at all under load. Jeb you are right that static rope of the same diameter would stretch less. However, you want the stretch to soften the jerk at the bottom of a fall if you do happen to. My assumption is that is such a short distance in hunting applications that it probably wouldn't matter. But it could. A better choice would be to pick thicker diameter dynamic rope like 12.5 or 13mm if the stiffness helps you. The downside with added diameter is slightly more weight and more rope used in knots. I use 13mm with my ropeman2 for a tether and linemans and it works well.it was left over from climbing applications and I'm too cheap to replace it until needed but will probably switch to a Mad rock w the 8mm oplux or similar when I do upgrade for the ease of sit til dark and then repel down. I doubt I will SRT climb but maybe in certain spots

23-Apr-21
HSS

24-Apr-21
I should add I hunt out of a rock harness

24-Apr-21
All good info—thank you!

28-Apr-21
If anyone’s interested, I did get a piece of that KM-III static rope, and it is indeed a little stiffer than the Samson Predator rope. Climbed one tree, and I like the KM-III.

28-Apr-21
What size did you get Jeb?

28-Apr-21
7/16”

28-Apr-21
You use ropemans?

28-Apr-21
Yes, I have not had any obvious ropeman-compatibility issues with any of these ropes.

28-Apr-21
I just picked up the notch sentry Jeb posted ab for 50 bucks and 40 feet of Sterling HTP "green snake bite" 10mm static line for SRT. If the mad rock safeguards are ever back in stock I'll let yall know what I think. Prob sticks up, repel down for 2021...

28-Apr-21
I think the $50 arborist saddle, and awareness of it, will be the end of Tethrd and the like.

• Sitka Gear