JDM 29-Apr-21
Paul@thefort 29-Apr-21
Treeline 05-May-21
WYOelker 11-May-21
Paul@thefort 11-May-21
Whocares 11-May-21
zimmy 12-May-21
24-Apr-21
HELENA (AP) — Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte signed a bill Friday allowing the use of private funds to reimburse wolf hunters or trappers for their expenses — reminiscent of bounties that widely exterminated the species in the last century.

Hunting and livestock groups, and their Republican allies in the legislature, contend not enough of the 1,200 wolves in Montana are being killed by hunters to limit their impact on big game outfitters or cattle and sheep producers.

The bill was sponsored by GOP state Sen. Bob Brown, who said there are too many wolves in his mountainous district in northwestern Montana.

The reimbursement program is similar to one in Idaho, where a private group pays its members up to $1,000 for costs incurred while scouting, hunting or trapping wolves.

Opponents argued there are tourists who come to Montana to see wolves and if too many are killed, they will return to protection under the Endangered Species Act.

Last week, Gianforte signed bills to allow the snaring of wolves, in addition to trapping; and another one to extend the wolf hunting season.

Lawmakers have also forwarded to the governor a bill to allow individuals to kill an unlimited number of wolves, hunt at night with artificial lights and night vision scopes and use bait to lure wolves into traps.

In Idaho, a bill that would allow the state to hire private contractors to reduce the wolf population from about 1,500 to 150 is quickly moving through the legislature. It allows the use of night-vision equipment to kill wolves as well as hunting from snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, among other changes.

Backers cite cattle and sheep deaths that cost ranchers hundreds of thousands of dollars, while opponents say the legislation threatens a 2002 wolf management plan involving the federal government.

25-Apr-21
Betting wolves will be relisted by the end of summer. Good for these two states for being proactive while they can.

29-Apr-21
Seems that those wolves have overstayed their welcome...

And then we have the idiots in Colorado...

29-Apr-21
"And then we have the idiots in Colorado..." Who have overstayed THEIR welcome.....

29-Apr-21
i watched the CPW wolf info ZOOM meeting last night. Two biologists and wolf researchers, one from Montana and the other from Idaho presented.

two subjects came up during the QandA.

1. the answer was NO when asked about wolves controlling CWD. This was one of the subjects the Pro wolfers used stating the wolves will help in the controlling CWD.

2. the answer was NO when asked about Wolf Tourism and was there other places other than Yellowstone NP, that would benefit from wolf tourism. Another subject the pro wolfers used to sell their message.

3. the answer was NO when the subject of Trophic Cascade was addressed. It can happen in a very small area but not over a large environment, Hard to study and evaluate.. This disputes the pro wolfers claim that, per the Ballot Initiative, "once established in Colorado, the gray wolf will help in the critical balance of nature" Another subject the pro wolfers used to sell their message.

4. both researches stated, 'do not be surprised that wolves will travel 100s of miles, and may be found east of the Divide over time. ' That travel may include Wyoming and Utah and eastern Colorado.

05-May-21
Any mention from the ID and MT biologists of Hydad disease?

Big game population crashes?

Cost per year in livestock damages?

Lost revenue to state game and fish organizations due to reduced license sales?

Impacts to small communities due to lost revenue from fewer hunters?

Anything positive about wolves?

11-May-21
I am putting a bug in the ear of my elected officials in WY. I would like to see a special bounty on Wolves killed along the CO/WY border. There were more than a few people pissed that the CPW enterred WY and Collared a wolf. Using that mentality I can see a path where 2 things happen. WY refuses to supply any wolves for the project (why would they want to create problems for the ranchers on the border) 2. WY definitely does not want any wolves out side of the Trophy area... With Colorado introducing a new population the challenges of keeping wolves from getting established will greater and need closer attention. SO a bounty on all Wolves Killed South of I80 to help.

11-May-21
Robert, there is no doubt in my mind, that over time, wolves that were reintroduced to Colorado, and then increase in numbers over time, will migrate into surrounding states, like Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and even to the eastern plains of Colorado.

11-May-21
Paul, based on what's happening in Minnesota you are right on. My buddy here that is the Federal wolf biologist in charge of trapping problem wolves and all things wolf, said this past year they had to take wolves in parts of Mn that they hadn't before. Down in central Mn and as far as the Fargo area on the Mn side which is very open country. He's the guy I mentioned before that backpacked with me last summer in Colorado as I showed him some elk country he wanted to bow hunt. (can't seem to remember where I took him) They did get a dandy bull. But anyway, sitting in camp out there and talking about wolves he said Colorado will have real issues both for cattle and elk and deer. And he's hunted numerous parts of Colorado. It'll be interesting if it happens. Guess here in Mn we've kinda learned to live with it because we've had wolves forever and don't have much choice. But they are a real issue for cattlemen and hunters. If only we could get some into the Twin Cities where they seem to think they are great, oh, and maybe Iowa to help out my friend t-roy and the boys!

12-May-21
BOISE — Idaho Gov. Brad Little signed into law a measure that could lead to killing 90 percent of the state’s 1,500 wolves in a move that was backed by hunters and the state’s powerful ranching sector but heavily criticized by environmental advocates.

The bill passed the Senate and House with enough votes to overcome a veto. Lawmakers who sponsored the measure said they want the state’s wolf population reduced to the allowed minimum of 150 to reduce attacks on livestock and to boost deer and elk herds.

• Sitka Gear