Cornpone 04-May-21
Meathook 05-May-21
sjj 13-May-21
Pat Lefemine 13-May-21
Shawlerbrook 17-May-21
sjj 20-May-21
Pat Lefemine 20-May-21
02-May-21
I experienced something new while turkey hunting at the farm yesterday...... actually two new things.

I heard several gobbles off in the distance after I settled in my blind..... set up in the exact same location that I've set it up in the past eight years. The woods went silent after fly down.

After my second series of calls........ about a half hour after fly down....... I had a big lone hen come into the field edge where I was set up from the roosting area about 100 yards away. She fed in and out of the decoys for about fifteen minutes or so. She finally departed back into the oaks.

I made another series of calls with my slate call..... very soft at first and increasing the volume until finished when to my amazement....... a gobble startled me behind my blind..... but it sounded funny. I waited about three or four minutes at the ready for a nice Tom to walk out but it didn't happen. I made another soft purr, cluck combination and another gobble answered...... very close to my blind.

I waited...... and waited..... but nothing. I decided to peak out the window behind me to see where this Tom was and much to my surprise....... it was the big hen..... in a half strut. I softly purred.... clucked...... and watched her gobble. I've heard of hens doing it but in all my years of turkey hunting I've never experienced this before...... have you?

The second thing that happened was she also growled while feeding around the decoys. It was the funniest sound I've ever heard a turkey make.

I just wanted to share this experience with y'all....... happy hunting.

02-May-21

pogo's Link
And...... to prove I'm not completely crazy...... here's a video I found this morning of a hen gobbling.

02-May-21
It must of been a “woke” hen.

04-May-21
Several years ago I called in a strutting/gobbling hen. She had a good gobble only lacking the loud, reverberating gobble of a larger tom.

05-May-21

Meathook's Link
Here is some video I took a few years ago of a strutting hen. She did not Gobble though.

13-May-21
I've been turkey hunting in central NY for 25 years...never have seen the numbers so low and that is what EVERYONE is saying. Very few birds. Bobcats/Fisher/Racoons have to be main culprits. Very poor hunting except for isolated pockets

13-May-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Hunted my place in 6K for the first time today. Connected on this great Tom 30 minutes into legal shooting time. I’ve been hearing reports about how bad it’s been but my land has been excellent the last few years.

17-May-21
Same as sjj here in 7m. I have been hunting the same land since the mid 80’s and this is the worst spring ever. And the deer season doesn’t look to be much better, but time will tell.

20-May-21

sjj's embedded Photo
sjj's embedded Photo
That's a real nice bird Pat.

finally killed a bird I've been after for 2 seasons...at least that is what I believe....spurs like this are rare in NY

20-May-21
Damn Steve, that’s some of the biggest Spurs I’ve ever seen! Congrats!!

• Sitka Gear