N8tureBoy 28-May-21
nehunter 28-May-21
N8tureBoy 29-May-21
nehunter 29-May-21
Big Dog 31-May-21
Rackem 01-Jun-21
yulisoa 26-Jun-23
02-May-21
Just got back from visiting out grandkids in Missouri and heard on the radio that a moose was hit in Goshen, killed and the people were hurt, not sure how bad.

"A pregnant moose is dead and several people were transported to the hospital with injuries after a crash in Goshen, according to officials. State police said Troop B responded to Hall Meadow Lane, or Route 272, near the Norfolk line."

02-May-21

nehunter's Link
Talk of the Goshenette this morning!

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/car-fatally-strikes-pregnant-moose-in-goshen/

02-May-21
That photo of the wreck illustrates what I've heard about hitting moose. The car goes under the animal and it lands on the roof. They're so tall that they are hidden in the dark as the headlights pickup only the legs, and by then it is too late.

02-May-21
I haven't heard too much about moose lately so this was interesting.

04-May-21
We saw some terrible moose-car accidents in NFLD over the years and were almost involved in one. People should know when a moose completely crosses a highway for some unknown reason they will sometime do a 180 back onto the blacktop.

04-May-21
Scary stuff. Years ago, I was on a bike ride, and only about 5 miles into the 65 or so I was going to do. I'm going up a hill, and noticed a large vehicle passing me, as I looked up the hill, a moose runs out of the left of the road and the ford bronco (like OJ's white one) smashed the moose. It was only like 50yds or so ahead and is etched into my brain. The bronco slammed the brakes about as the guy hit the animal, the moose flipped, thebody hitting the window/roof, then lifting vertically up, it's hooves almost hitting the phone line on the side of the road as it cartwheeled through the air. The bronco skidded to a stop, the moose came to a thud at the edge of a field on the side of the road, about 5yds or so off the pavement. I slowly biked by to see if the driver was ok, and could see the moose was messed up - compound fractures of all 4 legs, groaning and heaving with each "breath". Amazingly, the driver was a bit dazed and scared, but fine. The hood had compressed and sort of folded back onitself, forming a bit of a "ramp" that ended up covering the lower 2/3 of the windshield - I'm sure that saved the driver and formed the ramp that shot the moose into the air.

Turned out it was a pregnant cow, she died via the warden putting her down, and the story I heard via friends in Law Enforcement were that the calf ended up dying too.

Had that car been a sedan, that guy (driver) would have been completely smashed. Scary stuff.

05-May-21
Will, With my wife at the wheel we almost hit a big bull going down a dirt road at night in NFLD. It was late and my bride has a heavy foot . The dark moose blended nicely with the dark surroundings and with two Newfies in the back seast screaming "Slam it on" we slid to a halt a few feet away from Bullwinkle. I could smell the faint odor of human excrement wafting from the shorts of the Newfies. We were salmon fishing the Humber R.

05-May-21
Yeah, those Newfies are terrified of rainy, foggy weather. Last time we up there (2010), the outfitter's wife kept calling us to make sure we were OK. The moose really move in the fog. We ended up seeing two or three alive on the side of the road. They're not the brightest animals when it comes to traffic.

05-May-21
Brian, tell me about it; I married one ,lol. Were you fishing up there?

05-May-21
Moose hunting. Rifle (took bow but didn't get a chance)

06-May-21
Amazing BD - glad you guys made it through. They are funny. I'm so used to "deer like" animals running the nano second they see you... But most of the moose I've seen are like: "duh, um, hey man... I'm eating brush here... walk around me ok..." And man, they are frigging BIG compared to deer.

06-May-21

BBB's Link
I saw an SUV meet a moose near the Rabbit Hill Inn (St Johnsbury, VT) and the road was closed just as we pulled up to strike zone, so we got to sit there and watch a backhoe pick up this huge animal and put it on flatbed.

Anyone ever watch how the guides up north use winches and pulleys to get a moose to the dirt road? I was amazed at how they got this animal out of the woods whole.

06-May-21
They installed miles of Elaborate wire fence with electronic sensors that light up LED signs when a Moose gets out on the trans canada. From about the Burgeo Highway off and on all the way to St Johns. I've seen the signs light up a few times when I was driving at night but I never saw the moose. I'm not sure how one would even get out on the highway where that fencing is. You definitely have to slow down at night traveling those roads. The Caribou arent that much better, They get out on the Highways also. It wouldn't be pleasant running into one of them either. A big stag will run around 500 lbs

07-May-21
BBB, oddly enough the last moose crossing in front of us was years ago just outside St.J, Vt. We deer hunted in the town of Walden and saw a lot of moose.

08-May-21
Tons of Moose in the NE Kingdom. My Dad is in Newport and I've bow shot three Bulls since 2015 up there. Used two Horse's to get the Moose out. In Maine we used those chainsaw style winches. Creeps along at 1 foot per minute. Took 6 hours to get it to the logging rd

08-May-21
ne, these days that's how long it takes me to get a deer out,lol.

17-May-21
BD you need to hunt better access areas with 4wheeler availability lol!!

18-May-21
Ma-Pa, I've got a few spots like that for this season, but very few. My main concern is buck availability . I'll take a brutal drag any day so I can brag/complain about it the rest of the year to my grandchildren; I might even embellish the details, ya never know.

18-May-21
Haha fair enough Bog dog! I never pass up a nice buck because I’m to far from the truck. Passed up many a does tho for being to far from the truck. Had one slide down a cliff outta state last year made the drag go from 200 yards to about half mile lol. Talk about luck!

28-May-21

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
Got this picture sent to me today, East St. Goshen. Looks like a Cow and two young ones from last Year.

28-May-21
were they stopping at the diner for breakfast?

28-May-21
Actually not to far from there! Ivy Mnt.

28-May-21

N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
A couple of years ago I started finding trees stripped of bark and a few piles of moose poop. Partial trail cam pic of a nose last year. Getting more pics this year as I learn more about their travel routes.

28-May-21
Where about?

29-May-21
Norfolk

29-May-21
Cool. I had permission to hunt on a big piece there a couple of years ago. I will look for the email and pass it on to you. I'll never get to hunt it

31-May-21
Why don't we ever say, "car hit by moose"? LOL

01-Jun-21
Very cool N8tureBoy!

26-Jun-23
touching the puck might be risky because it gives the other team a chance to score in puppet hockey

• Sitka Gear