Slinging shafts 31-Jul-21
Big Dog 31-Jul-21
Rackem 01-Aug-21
Slinging shafts 01-Aug-21
SILVERADO 01-Aug-21
Big Dog 01-Aug-21
03-May-21

Toonces's Link
Even the bear club took part in at least the consumption of the woman.

03-May-21
Gross. A homeowner had one in their house over the weekend in simsbury

03-May-21
"The bear was "hazed" in order for it to leave the area. Hazing a bear can involve using loud noises, non-injurious projectiles, and other methods of scaring the animals."

https://patch.com/connecticut/simsbury/bear-may-have-entered-simsbury-home

Eating them keeps them from coming back too.

03-May-21
If it were in my house.... Any hazing I needed to do would be performed with the .45/70, thanks...

But it makes me wonder… If I were to peg one in the backside with a rubber blunt out of one of my recurves... would that be considered Hazing, Harassment, or straight up Poaching?

04-May-21
GF, the rubber blunt comment is pretty funny. The only thing left afterward would be your shoes lol.

04-May-21
Tend to agree with Wild Bill on this... If I find a bear in my house, Ill be shortly eating bear in my house. If the state has issues with that, Ill take my lumps.

05-May-21
@BD - Black bears don’t have much of a rep for aggressive behavior when they’re otherwise occupied with something like digging through trash cans or tipping over a bird feeder...

A bear that is willing to enter your house is a different case, but my sister had one stroll through her yard recently and I suspect its long-term well-being would have benefitted from a blunt or a beanbag round or some other form of pointed hazing.

Something like these guys sell, but quieter ;)

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/removal/Bear_Deterrents.html

They’re even local....

05-May-21
GF, you're right. The book, Make Prayers to the Raven by Richard K. Nelson , shows how Native American Alaskans relate to the spirituality of their surroundings . To them , the bear is special. The rubber blunt could potentially save a bear's life.

08-May-21
This wasn't too far from my house. It is becoming quite common to see them in Simsbeary.

08-May-21
" The rubber blunt could potentially save a bear's life." " The only thing left afterward would be your shoes lol."

As a human, our sacred duty is to preserve other human lives, and the bear doesn't equal a human life, even if it is GF, bless his heart :)

08-May-21
Back in the day we would give the bears huge amounts of alcohol and make them do demeaning things if they wanted to join the fraternity, but hazing is now frowned upon...

09-May-21

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
#180 Ear tag. He's a BIG bastard.

10-May-21

Notme's Link
https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/After-killing-3-goats-mother-bear-and-cubs-16165625.php

11-May-21
“ DEEP opted to tranquilize the three bears and relocate them to state land a few miles awa, Healey said.”

A few miles? Yeah, that should do it.

ROFLMAO

11-May-21

Toonces's Link
You got to love the spin on this story from NBC. The bears were "rescued" because they were causing "mischief".

From what I heard the goat owners are pretty pissed by these lies. Not surprising nobody trusts the media.

NBC is gonna be complicit in someone getting killed when they try to cuddle a bear cub.

11-May-21
NBC , bye, bye

13-May-21
Stealing livestock used to be a hangin’ offense!

“Mischief”, indeed. Just sayin’.....

07-Jun-21

BBB's Link
Bear sighting map by town shows Southington had 158 while Goshen just 121?? I think Goshen resident don't report them because they see them all the time AND the population of people is lower than in the more densely populated towns like Southington. I know Nehunter has proof of bear sightings on his trail cams, so the data is probably impacted by population.

07-Jun-21

Notme's Link
https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Police-Plymouth-man-dies-after-Saturday-crash-16228925.php

07-Jun-21
It seems that bear are gradually expanding their range like, opposum, coyote, fishercat etc. There have been occasional sightings in S.E. Mass. I'd value the opinion of a wildlife biologist.

07-Jun-21
BBB - I agree. These are sightings based on reports to the DEEP by residents. Sightings are commonplace for many people in some areas that they dont bother to report every sighting. Some report sightings to facebook etc but those sightings dont get counted by the state. Some anti-hunters purposely avoid reporting sightings in order to suppress the data out of fear that as the population continues to explode the DEEP will open a bear season. I continue to report each one I see. It can be a bother but the DEEP relies on this data in order to make appropriate management decisions.

07-Jun-21
I don't post all sightings, it would be a daily occurrence. Only post ear tagged Bears now, figured that might help with tracking.

Nobody I know in Cornwall or Goshen post sightings.

07-Jun-21
nehunter - One could argue that the reason why nobody you know in Cornwall posts bear sightings is because there are hardly any bears in Cornwall (only 49 sightings compared to Simsbury, where there were 725 sightings in the same time period). Based on the number of sightings reported, there are almost as many bears in Hartford (31) as Goshen and Cornwall...

07-Jun-21
N8.. I would bet there is at least 50 resident Bear's in just Cornwall See them in the fields as do the locals.

In other words, why report something see routinely.

08-Jun-21
F+G (Healy) has dodged this issue to the point where a bear season may not adequately manage what appears to be a growing problem. Can't stick your head in the sand and hope the problem goes away.

09-Jun-21

N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
N8tureBoy's embedded Photo

N8tureBoy's Link
Nehunter - I was playing devil’s advocate. I have all the respect in the world for you and totally understand what you are saying.

In my West Hartford neighborhood news there are daily social media posts from people who see a cute bear in their yard. The neighbors all chime in about how majestic they are and then they try to play one up manship with each other…” you think thats cool, yesterday I saw a mama and two cubs in my yard…”. These posts are always followed by comments saying the bears were here first and we are invading their land (yet these same people don’t seem yet willing to relinquish their homes to the Pequots and Mohegans who were on their land first).

Today an Avon resident was sunbathing in their yard and had a bear approach her within 10 feet. Neighbors quickly chimed in for her to NOT report the sighting to the DEEP. See picture of post. Bottom line is that these encounters are way more common than reported. Partly because people are intentionally suppressing the data in order to “protect” the bears. Meanwhile the DEEP is doing what they can to try and pass a bill that would initiate a bear season in CT, but people in other parts of the state dont understand how bad the problem is in other areas. Reporting sightings to the DEEP helps give them ammunition to deal with the problem.

10-Jun-21
N8, good post, Amazing how many stupid educated people out there. A hunting season ultimately benefits the bear population.

10-Jun-21

nehunter's Link
N8, I totally understand you're post, my 2020 Vermont Moose article got posted on a Vermont Anti hunting Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wildlifeadvocatesvt/

and I got at least 250 Facebook messages from aholes telling me I'm going to Hell, hoping I die a slow death, wishes my family a slow death, ect.

Our Country is going to be a sh*t show soon if these types (AOC) get in charge.

I reported some of them, but 90% were from England, Europe, and Australia.

10-Jun-21
I tried to find your article but think it got buried among the many ones about “magical” coyotes etc. These are very passionate people and its tough to reason with emotions. Ironic that some of them advocate violence towards those they oppose… for being to violent. Lol.

Too bad we cant find some common ground like habitat restoration with them. We will never win a head butting contest with them. They have the numbers, and seemingly unlimited funding.

11-Jun-21
N8, when a person issues a threat of harm or death to ne (who has a right to his opinion) they are not passionate; they are sick. Don't wait for the sh$t show, it's already here .

11-Jun-21

longbeard's embedded Photo
longbeard's embedded Photo
Here’s a black bear in Greenwich today near one of the elementary schools. Already has two ear tags.

13-Jun-21
Long beard. The DEEP biologist told me the # if ear tags doesn't mean anything.

They always put two tags on, Incase one gets ripped off. Easier to spot with two than one.

13-Jun-21
Oh ok. Good to know. I thought it was the three strikes your out deal

13-Jun-21
They change tag color each year. 2021 pink, I think, but not certain

14-Jun-21
Which school?

15-Jun-21
Glenville School

15-Jun-21
Glenville School

15-Jun-21
Right up the street, eh?

Somebody oughtta warn the beekeepers up to da Audubon center, eh?

15-Jun-21
I’m sure that bear worked his way down into town from there

18-Jun-21
Headed for Dunkin Donuts

18-Jun-21
GF, You mean the school on top of the hill and not the old school by the dye mill?

18-Jun-21
Correct WB

18-Jun-21
Longbeard,

My first small game shotgun hunting trip was with my grandpop and we parked on Sherwood Avenue and followed the Byram river uphill alongside what's now the Fairview Club. The family referred to that area as the "hemlocks", good for hunting and trapping. He once lived in the first or second house after the Merritt Parkway heading north on Riversville Road. If you see it you will know why my grandmother called it the "house under the hill". We never imagined bear would ever again roam those woods.

19-Jun-21
I saw a small bear down at the cemetery there a couple of years ago up by the mausoleums( st.mary/putnam)..it was eating a pig head someone left for the yotes...scared the crap out of when I came around on the mower..lol

19-Jun-21
The town of Cornwall website admin asked me to put together of all the tagged Bear's I have on camera and they want to see where and how far they are traveling. I think I've got about 6 or so different tagged Bears on camera's past 5 years. I'll send the link when they finish it. Wait..... It will give all my spots away?

20-Jun-21
WB I know the area very well. The property right across the road from your grandparents is the Boy Scout reservation.

22-Jun-21
A friend of mine from Easton sent me a picture today of a bear in his yard this morning

30-Jul-21
What are your guys thoughts on carrying bear spray in ct while hunting?

30-Jul-21
Probably should, but the only bear run-ins I've had, the bears have run away.

30-Jul-21
BBB, it's the one that doesn't run !

30-Jul-21
About five years ago I had a bear under my tree before I hoisted up my pack. Since then I started carrying pepper spray. I haven't needed it for bear, but, I was prepared to use it as a pit bull charged me while I was leaving my spot. The owner, a petite little girl came and snagged the dog's collar as I backed away. I wear mine on a neck lanyard and keep it under my shirts while on stand.

30-Jul-21
Leave them alone. More scared of you then u are of them.

30-Jul-21
Yeah, except when they aren't.

30-Jul-21
99.999 % of the time they will leave you be. How bear attacks do you hear of in ct. Iv have never heard of 1. Now you go to states like Montana that’s a different issue.

30-Jul-21
So your point is that when bears travel to Montana they become more dangerous?…Or do the folks that live in Montana just taste better?

31-Jul-21
Slinging makes a point ;but I'm reminded of the old adage: Better to have spray and not need it than need it and not have it. I had a big bear come at me in Nfld and it's something you never forget.I had no spray but did have 4 shots left in my 30-06 .

31-Jul-21
Wow big dog, not something you hear of teen. And correct on having the spray. Always be prepared

31-Jul-21
Wow big dog, not something you hear of teen. And correct on having the spray. Always be prepared

31-Jul-21
Slinging, In my case it was not a sow with cubs but a big male. When it was over (and I changed my underwear,lol) I wondered what made him charge. Maybe he was just trying to get out of Dodge and took the wrong route. I didn't have time to second guess it because it was happening fast. I feel this can happen to any bow hunter and Fish and Game should allow us to legally carry a hand gun. My family and I have seen bear in Ct. with alarming regularity. Don't underestimate the bear as a potential killer.

d

01-Aug-21
I've been carrying bear spray for years. It is always better to be prepared. The area I hunt has a couple of bears. An old rotted tree under my stand has been ripped apart this summer. Carrying a pistol legally could be a piece of mind. Chances of actually getting a shot off by a surprised bear would be difficult.

01-Aug-21
Wow! Yeah seems like you guys have a lot more bears then us. Be careful out there

01-Aug-21

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
Hows this big boy.

01-Aug-21
Looks like he ate the person and left the straw hat, lol. He's a big 'un.

• Sitka Gear