DanaC 10-May-21
Big Dog 10-May-21
DanaC 10-May-21
Big Dog 10-May-21
DanaC 10-May-21
Big Dog 10-May-21
Big Dog 10-May-21
04-May-21
Hey guys, Getting geared up for the fall season. I have been watching a lot of youtube and have come across the Ranch Fairy. Anyone head in this direction of heavy arrows and single bevel broad head. Also does anyone live on Cape Cod and have a bow press? I need to exchange my peep for a larger one and am trying not to drive all the way to Reedys. Thanks

04-May-21
Dude welcome and yes the guys here love slinging missiles at game here. Me I'm tossing micros at525 FMJ s

04-May-21
Is Connecticut “west?”

Yes cc welcome. My gramma used to live in south Yarmouth.

I changed from 400 spine 100grain broadheads to 350 spine 200 grain broad head. After turkey season will dial the bow back up to 60 and get dialed in.

I’m actually using my light arrows at 50# for turkey.

04-May-21
Welcome... And yes, a lot of guys sipping the syrup Ranch Fairy produces with excellent experience going into the 600grn and beyond range.

I disagree with lunker though... Missles are like 350-550 grns... Above that it's a phone pole :) ha ha ha!

04-May-21
Will, "Lincoln Logs"

04-May-21
"trying not to drive all the way to Reedys"

See, that's the problem with you kids - no imagination. There are probably a mess of nice places to eat near there, that you don't get to visit very often. And any trip with *two* destinations is worth making ;-)

04-May-21

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Lincoln!

04-May-21

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Log

04-May-21
I cant hit the broadside of the barn at 8 yds so this will take take care of all my bad form and tuning problems! Yay

04-May-21
Same answers and delivery as a flushable turd.

05-May-21
I second pi.

And lunker. Hopefully the toilet isn’t clogged from all the previous flushing

05-May-21
Hey, you want to risk your $1000 bow on a ten-dollar ratchet strap, fine. Seems like foolish 'economy' to me.

I work on my own bows, but I shoot recurves and the necessary 'tools' are a lot simpler.

05-May-21
Thanks guys for the info. Here on Cape Cod the woods are so tight or at least my hunting spots are so tight my shots are all inside 30 yards. I agree its all about shot placement but as I am learning quickly deer don't like to sit still and mistakes and narrow misses are going to happen. The Lincoln log I think is going to make up for those narrow misses and put deer down quick in an area where I am essentially urban hunting.

05-May-21
How bout that! A guy who gets it CC !!!!!!!!!!!

05-May-21
Nice! Heavy arrows are the way to go. Most shots in MA are pretty damn close and passthroughs, although cool, is overkill; you leave a ton of momentum on the table. You want to cause as much trauma as possible, and the best way to do that is a heavier arrow. Remember, your goal is a heart hit, but otherwise, you want massive blood loss as quickly as possible. This means heavy arrow.

The super heavy arrow is not a bad idea/strategy. Sure, you can drop an elk with a field point, but how far is it going to go? How long is it going to suffer? What kind of trail will it leave? I hope it doesn't cross a body of water. I hope it's not raining.

It's a good idea. It's a great idea.

05-May-21
I want to shoot an arrow weight that gives me more chance for both an entry and exit hole especially on angling away big deer. My shots in the swamp are never more than 25yds and usually under 20yds . I like what the heavier arrow gives me and I just want to satisfy me. Might be a different story if I were to hunt elk but that's never going to happen outside my dreams.

05-May-21

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
I was just in fl and shot though both shoulders of this sow with the 654

06-May-21
Can I use a bungee ?

06-May-21
Duct tape ?

06-May-21
Pi, my objection is to amateurs using a half-ass tool for a job that a professional has the *right* tool for. But hey, your bow, your choice.

06-May-21

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
I'll just leave this here

06-May-21
Now thats s cruise missile cougar! Whats your TAW? How far can you shoot it. Im gettin 60 yds using the full rack on my HHA KINGPIN

06-May-21
Cougar, oh yeah

06-May-21
I’m getting there drslyr and cougar. I’ll be 540-560 this year. Not sure I’ll ever hit the bone crushing 654 tho lol

06-May-21
DR ASHBY...... MINIMUN 650!!! Why go heavy ifin u aint breakin bone!!!

06-May-21
How do you restore string tension, when done, in a controlled way? Ratchet strap release mechanism (at least what I’m familiar with) is pretty abrupt.

06-May-21
So where is everyone who hunts large arrows getting their stuff?

06-May-21
Grizzlystik guy here

06-May-21
Gold tip hunter XT 300 spine. May go to maxima 250s depending how it all goes. Or if I get real frugal grizzly stick

06-May-21
Just hit me the debate included talk of peep installation... wouldnt the safest and simplest home version of repairing a peep - for those who dont have or want a press - be to simply let out the limb bolts a turn or two at a time until there was enough tension off the string to put the new peep in, then return to the original bolt position and serve in the peep?

Just count the number of turns of the bolts and you should be really close on bow tune when done.

06-May-21
So long as your screws don’t pop out will lol. That limb hitting you on the head might leave a mark

06-May-21
Funny I didn't see your participation in "other states forums " or in your home state for that matter.

06-May-21
Grand, Mass. bow hunters are the envy of all other states. You know that.

06-May-21
That's a 200 gram cutthroat single bevel on a 240 spine grizzleystik. 645g total with 23% FOC. I shoot 68 lbs at 29.5 inch draw. Figure if I ever meet the hockomock chupacabra I'll be ready for hand to hand combat lol

07-May-21
Have you shot anything with that head cougar?

07-May-21
Ok, that's what we used to do all the time with bow's in the 90's when we had to mess with the string. So with modern bows, they screw the limbs in and then put the strings/cables on? Heck, the guy who taught me that was one of the better target guys in the region, shot vegas and stuff. Good hunter too. I've not needed to do it with more recent bows - as I've not used a peep (use a nopeep system) for 20 or so years now...

Nice to know that it's not doable now.

08-May-21
Go away

08-May-21
Wow is right. U again

08-May-21
Pi electrical tape. Easier to use. The 1” thick stuff

08-May-21
I use gorilla tape. For safety purposes

08-May-21
Grand, I can't figure out what SMH means.

08-May-21
Darn it. Gorilla tape for the win. I shoulda known. For safety’s sake

08-May-21
Was my Covid shot fda approved? Or does that not matter for that kinda stuff? I’d think bungees are way more regulated and important.

09-May-21
Grand, oh, that explains it lol.

09-May-21
You can simply remove tension on your string if you slightly draw the bow back and have a assistant place a screw driver through your cam and against the limb and let down on the bow slowly. The screw driver will effectively stop the cam from rolling over and your string will will be loose enough to replace your peep sight.

Put tension back on the string and start to draw your bow enough to remove the screw driver to put tension back on the string.

09-May-21
It absolutely amazes me how much effort you guys will put into mickey-rigging half-baked 'solutions' rather than driving to a pro shop and supporting what is a local business. I suppose when your bow breaks down a week before season you'll expect 'preferred customer' treatment and rush service to get you back up and running.

I said it above and I'll repeat it - Seems like foolish 'economy' to me.

09-May-21
DC, I gotta agree

09-May-21
Hundreds of thousands??? It’s 3274 from furthest point on cape cod to Lincoln city Oregon basically the Pacific Ocean. Not quite hundreds of thousands

10-May-21
" It amazes me how willing some people are to pay unnecessary fees for some abstract return or to be liked by the guy with a shop."

Suit yourself. I've seen too many small businesses fold because of insufficient 'cash flow', the small day-to-day sales that fill in between the big sales.

I do a lot of my own stuff - changing strings, tuning, building arrows, reloading ammo, but I want to let the small shop owners know that I'm around, so I go in, look at stuff, but some cleaning patches or flies whatever. Yeah, I could cut up an old tee shirt, but where do I go when the stores fold?

And not to put a fine point on it, _some of us_ enjoy getting out and seeing what's in the stores. Maybe you want to die rich, but I want to die the day I spend my last dollar ;-)

10-May-21
DC, One morning my son's bow fell out of his tree stand and one of the cams was knocked out of alignment. He called his bow shop in the wee hours and the owner told him to come over . The cam was repaired and later that day he shot a 7pointer. I'm sure the reason for the prompt service was because he was a regular customer. In the face of vast malls and hunting stores monopolizing business it's a good idea to throw even small DIY jobs to the "little guy". With that said, it's still a free country (in some ways) and a guy or gal can still choose to DIY but there will come a day when they'll need a favor.

10-May-21
Big Dog, as I said, I like to 'do it myself' a lot, but I've learned that some jobs are better done by pros.

"In the face of vast malls and hunting stores monopolizing business it's a good idea to throw even small DIY jobs to the "little guy". "

Yeah, try getting your bow serviced at Dicks or even Cabelas. Especially at dark-thirty on opening day. My 'favorite' gun shop closed some years ago. I didn't always buy a new toy every time through the door but the owner was always glad to talk me through a problem. ("Light loads? Change the springs!")

A buddy had a shotgun problem opening morning, his local shop had him back in the woods in under two hours. Years later, he's still a customer.

10-May-21
DC, That's what's missing in our society today. We are assigned numbers and our names are irrelevant. I miss the old days more than ever. You're only 39 yrs old so can't relate,LOL.

10-May-21
Umm, BD, I've been 39 for 28 years now ;-)

Pi, some of my family - nieces and nephews - might get a gun or a fishing rod, but if they want money, they're gonna be disappointed ;-). I'll leave my sibs something, but a good part will go to TU, RGS, maybe an archery organization and a local club or two.

10-May-21
Pi, that's not my inference. Just saying loyalty can work both ways.

10-May-21
Great title for this thread : Heavy arrows /Bow depression

• Sitka Gear