Big Dog 08-May-21
BC 08-May-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 08-May-21
Will 08-May-21
Big Dog 08-May-21
Jebediah 08-May-21
Big Dog 09-May-21
07-May-21
Fun turkey hunt this AM. I walked about 2.8 miles according to OnX through a large DCR property in Sterling. No gobbles until almost precisely the furthest spot from the car, a spot I've deer hunted and always see turkeys, so not surprising. I worked the bird for a bit, but think I spooked him or something when I tried to adjust position, as he went silent and that was that. On the way out I had a fat bear cross about 50 or 60 yds in front of me on a small underground wire line - always fun to see them. They just lumber along always looking like they are total goobers - belying the strength and power they apply to their hunting. He (or she) must be hanging out a lot too, I took a pic on the power line near the area I parked of a track which was a bit wider than my hand. Made a nice walk with some gobbles, a really fun and memorable hunt!

07-May-21

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo

07-May-21
That must’ve been great. All of the other neat stuff you see is half the fun of hunting. Have never laid eyes on a bear, would very much like to see one.

07-May-21
Think I know right where your talking will lol. Seen a few bears there. A very large one a few years ago. Never did produce a close enough ethical shot. Bears are super cool to see in the woods. My daughters gonna be 4 and she’s already seen 3 out in the woods with me. Crazy how quiet they just show up and leave.

07-May-21
Seeing the little ones is neat fun, seeing a mama with cub is a wake-up ;-)

07-May-21
Very true Dana. I walked up on one on Gardner with 2 Cubs with the dog. Fortunately the dog was scared and went the opposite way quietly. She got within about 10’ of my sniffing snorting and clamping her teeth. Very scary. Thought I was gonna need to use the gun that day.

07-May-21
Will, when you see a skinned bear carcass the musculature is amazing. They're strong.

07-May-21
Love seeing bears and actually feel bad when I shoot them. Neat how you don’t even hear them walking by. I had a sow and two Cubs walk by me at the cornfield probably 15 yards away she just turned her head looked at me and kept walking to the corn. Had I not had a rifle in my hands I would have been nervous.

07-May-21
Spike, I understand why guys like to hunt bear but these days I give them a pass. Maybe I've read too much about their spiritual significance to Native Americans ; I dunno, but every hunter has to be true to themselves and they evoke a feeling in me that wants them to live. I know you're a bear hunter and I respect that.

07-May-21
BD I hear you... I buy a bear tag every year, at this point I dont think Ill ever use it, I've viewed it as a donation to MDFW for a while now. That said, I like to see them, they are super cool to watch do their thing.

That mama with cubs thing... yes. Several years ago, in a central ma town NE of Quabbin (Dana we have discussed) I was driving to go fishing and a mama ran across the road. It stood there 20-30yds in the woods, as we pulled off the road, and popped it's teeth and woofed at us (while sitting in the truck). Then we hear scratching on the pine tree like 5yds from the truck, only to see three cubs crawl down, stair for a moment into the truck, then hit the ground and run to mom. At that moment we realized why she was ticked, and hanging out. It was awesome!

They are really neat. They taste awesome in my experience. For some reason, I just dont want to kill one right now. Happy when others do and i can mooch some meat now and then :). I suppose if during the crossover between bear and deer, if one is standing there at 20yds... who knows... but I'm suspecting right now I'm just watching it.

07-May-21
Big Dog, one thing that sucks is both bears I killed were on real hot days and it is not fun running as fast as I can gutting, dragging, and flying to a cooler. Hell maybe this year I will just sit and watch with some videos.

07-May-21
Or hunt cooler days spike ;).

I know, easier said than done lol

07-May-21
Will, I wonder, are you going to buy the bear tag at $20 (or whatever it’s going up to)? I always buy the $5 tag, just for the heck of it, but that’ll stop once the price goes up. My hunch is, at least with bear tags, the price increase will backfire, because I suspect that 90% of Mass bear tags are sold to people just like me, in the “just for the heck of it” camp.

07-May-21
Spike , years ago I shot a pretty good black bear in NFLD and it was warm weather. We had no pack frames and then the bull work began. The hide with fat was surprisingly heavy. The rug is a good deal over 6ft. from nose to tail. I'll cherish the memories of that hunt forever but that was my last bear.

07-May-21
Jeb I’m in that category. I buy it cuz it’s $5. But also because I tend to have a few bears around. I’m conflicted on what I’ll do when it goes to 20-25-50 bucks lol.

07-May-21

BC's embedded Photo
Big Dog, here’s my NFLD bear. A lot of work but a great hunt.
BC's embedded Photo
Big Dog, here’s my NFLD bear. A lot of work but a great hunt.

07-May-21

08-May-21
BC, looks like a beauty of a bear. NFLD has some bruiser black bear. When you were there did you have any authentic NFLD cuisine? Any Big Dipper or Screech rum? We'd travel to my wife's grandmother far off the highway to White Bay and enjoy the culture. In the late '70's I had a fabulous Woodland caribou in front of me at West Lake and I only had a moose license....penny wise and pound foolish.

08-May-21
That’s a tough pill to swallow big dog!

08-May-21
Ma-Pa, Caribou sometimes get curious and walk a short ways toward you as did this one. Newfoundlanders have an expression "caribou can't believe their eyes". My guide said it was one of the biggest he'd ever seen. It haunts me to this day since I know I'll never hunt the island again. Don't make the same mistake my friend.

08-May-21
Food wasn’t that great on my hunt. Had two mic mac indians for guides and let’s just say cooking wasn’t their best strength. They knew were to setup for big bears though.

08-May-21
My mom use to have some mic Macs that worked for her in the steel industry BC. They know their stuff up there! They wanted me to come up and hunt with them but I just haven’t had the time. Made it up for just a few days after bear season last year cuz one of their children passed away for the funeral. Different world up there on the reservation.

08-May-21
Jeb, yes. Im not loaded, but im fortune and work hard. Its a good investment in my eyes... sorta like my TU membership or BHA membership. Worth it for conservation sake.

08-May-21
Will, after 50yrs of marriage my wife now knows what I'm loaded with.

08-May-21
Interesting, food for thought, thank you

09-May-21
Pi, you're being charitable, much appreciated.

• Sitka Gear