MA-PAdeerslayer 08-May-21
Jebediah 08-May-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 09-May-21
Bowhunt3138 09-May-21
drslyr 10-May-21
hickstick 10-May-21
Will 10-May-21
08-May-21
Anybody out there with a thermacell—once you screw in the butane cartridge, I’m assuming you leave it screwed in, right? As opposed to unscrewing it between uses. And with the cartridge in there, do you need to store it upright? I’m thinking no, because it’s not really designed in a way that allows for storing it “standing up.” Any advice appreciated, I’m a little concerned about safety.

08-May-21
Jeb, im lazy, so I leave it screwed in. I've literally left it over the winter and it worked still come spring. Man, those things work great!

08-May-21
I’m in wills boat. Or canoe. Whatever he’s floating with

08-May-21
I’ll leave my gun home before I leave that home for spring turkey

08-May-21
Thanks very much. What about storage? I imagine you store it laying down? Because it really isn’t designed to stand up. Also, any worry about smell? I know (or I think) not really a thing with turkeys, but what about deer/bears in the early season?

09-May-21
Jeb mine stays home deer and bear. Don’t even keep it in the same pack that I hunt turkey/scout with. Those early fall bugs during bear and archery are something I’ve learned to hate and deal with lol. Must better than the spring turkey bugs tho

09-May-21
I use mine during the early season in NH. Still plenty of squitos in September. And there's no way I'd be able to hunt spring bear in Canada without one. I've killed several bear and a couple of deer while using it . So for whatever reason it doesn't seem to bother them.

10-May-21
I take mine everywhere. You couldn't even hunt at all in Fl without one. It works wonders early season up here in the north like in sept bow in ct. The only spot it ever failed me was in the everglades in fl. on an evening hunt for pigs. We were hunting bow and there were also rifle hunters on the property that the guide failed to tell us about. They all shot pigs and we were left in the stand till 9pm while they recovered all of the pigs shot by the rifle hunters. I had the thermacell going wide open and the skeeters as big as small birds could have cared less. We each donated a quart of blood that night.

10-May-21
No need to worry about storage orientation Jeb. any orientation works, just don't leave it in your pack, on the ground on a farm cart road and forget about it...along with a camera.....learned the hard way after the farmer ran it over with his backhoe :( lol As others, I leave my cartridge in and even leave the pad in, and just pop in a new one once firing it up. right now my hunting one (I also have one up at the lake house for the deck when they get bad up there) is sitting in the rubbermade tub that my saddle, and drop leg pouch are store in. never had any issues.

Deer & bear will not smell it. I've had them within feet while using it in CT and they didn't even lift their heads.

10-May-21
Jeb, I just put it on a shelf in the garage, I suppose butane could leak all over, it must evaporate though as I've never seen dripping.

• Sitka Gear