BULELK1 14-May-21
Bucksnbulls 14-May-21
Bucksnbulls 14-May-21
Glunker 14-May-22
Ranger 15-May-22
Old Bow 16-May-22
Glunker 28-Sep-22
11-May-21
Hi there. Seems I drew my Dutton Archery Elk tag and just looking for anyone that has some recent experience in the unit. Not necessarily looking for specifics, just general info on the unit over the past 3 yrs or so. Thanks so much

12-May-21
Congrats had the tag in 2005 and took a great bull. It has changed since then but still, it is the Rock Pile that will wear you down. Was the hardest seven days of archery elk hunting I have done. A chance at something special. Scout a lot or if can't don't be afraid to go with an outfitter that knows the mountain to put the odds in your favor.

13-May-21
Good luck on your tag. Are you familiar with the Dutton at all or southern Utah? As mentioned, Mt Dutton is called the rock pole for a reason. It is very rough, rocky and steep in much of the unit. Look at google maps and become familiar with the mountain. There are very few roads. The main road Starts in Antimony, goes to the top and south then descends back to pavement in John’s Valley at Cottonwood creek. That is about a 42 mile loop. Be in good physical shape. How long will you have to hunt? Do you plan to camp or use local accommodations? Elk are scattered through out most of the unit. The deer hunt and spike elk hunt will be in full swing, so the mountain gets a lot of traffic, near the roads. The majority of people will be concentrated from Forest creek north. You will find the biggest bulls south of Pine creek or Deep Creek. From Deep creek south, the terrain becomes more vertical but that is where the biggest bulls live. There is some great country on the west side of the unit, accessible from Panguitch, Hwy 89. Will you be hunting alone or with an entourage? Will you have access to horses? If not, you may consider finding someone in advance to pack your animal out for you if you are in one of those deep canyons. In a nut shell; the south and west portions of the unit hold the biggest bulls. North of Forest creek is a little easier to hunt but has the most hunters. Many of them will be spike hunting and will have the herds stirred up. Be prepared for hot weather. Rain used to be very common that time of year but not so much the last few years. I have seen it snow a few inches in early September but it is rare. Good luck.

13-May-21
Additional information. The average big bull on the Dutton is a 330 or 340 bull. Lots of littler bulls. There are a few that push toward the 400” mark but few and far between. The age objective has been increased so hopefully the average size bulls should increase. We are in drought conditions, so water may become very scarce. Last year, almost all stock ponds were dry by Sept1. Some of the dependable springs have slowed to a trickle or stopped. Do you have the dates you plan to hunt figured out?

14-May-21
WoW!!

That's a great write up for intel.

Good luck, Robb

14-May-21
Thanks Robb. I prefer to help someone understand what they are getting into. Some people have delusions of grandeur with the Dutton but deserve to know the reality of that unit. I have a friend that had the Dutton rifle tag 2 years ago. He hired a guide and still almost went home with an unpunched tag. Got his bull the last Saturday afternoon of the hunt.

14-May-21

14-May-22
I took a bull there on 9/10/18. I am a NR and what I know is just from that one hunt. I am happy to pass on what I know. If interested PM your contact info. Good luck.

15-May-22
The Rock Pile is a fun but exhausting bow hunt. Folks like to concentrate on the last week of the bow season bugling but you can have a fun spot and stalk too and sit on an active wallow. Be in great shape the mountain has very little oxygen up high. It's been many years since I had the archery tag but sure was a fun hunt. When I hunted the south end was where the guides hunted for the big bulls. The mountain thunderstorms helped out a lot too. My advice has been if you can't put all the time into scouting or don't have a lot of experience on the mountain or a friend who does consider a guide. Treat the hunt like a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. If you can swing it as in my case I would be hunting alone get a guide for safety and/or someone who can help you pack out a bull. Good luck and enjoy it all!

16-May-22
Bowsite member Norcal vineyard I’m pretty sure his dad drew that tag a few years back .

28-Sep-22
Can you give us an update on your Dutton hunt?

• Sitka Gear