Lunker 13-May-21
Big Dog 13-May-21
Arrownoob 13-May-21
Lunker 13-May-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 13-May-21
Lunker 13-May-21
Will 13-May-21
12-May-21
Really enjoyed rinellas commentary on this week’s meateater podcast. Nm just voted to ban trapping on public land because an illegal snare killed a dog a few years ago. To paraphrase SR: “so how did we get to a place where dogs can roam off leash unrestricted wherever they want?” He said it much better but basically, yeah. Look up “Ashland state park dog friendly” and there are hundreds of people claiming it as a dog park- free to roam off leash. There are signs everywhere that dogs must be on leash at that park but no one cares. And you can’t hunt it because everyone walks their dogs off leash there.

12-May-21
This is a tough one for me noob. I walk the woods with my rottie almost daily and shes hardly ever on a leash. Scout, check cams, hike, fish. Even in parks where it says leash required I let her off. But she's earned that through hours of training and built up trust (and a shock collar as a safety net). I'm 100% for all hunting, fishing and trapping on as much land as possible in the states and wouldn't ever vote for anything against that. But man what a heart breaker that must be for the dog owner. There are certainly risks to giving your dog more freedom but I always say that I'd rather them live a fun and natural life than stay leashed 24/7

12-May-21
I agree and see both points big dog and noob both. I can only imagine the hurt in the dog owners heart and for their kids (if they had any). But also, in mass it’s now law dogs need to be leashed on WMA land unless your training a bird dog. Also states that your suppose to remove dog waste “unless your actively training or hunting”. Yet no one seems to follow the leash or poop law. I had a very very bad encounter with a very very untrained and aggressive Doberman on a local wma. Bird hunting one afternoon came in the field, tried attacking my dog then focused his attention on us. Politely told the owner to get the dog on a leash and out amd he said “he’s friendly he won’t bite” teeth out clamping growling and aggressive posture. Dog got to about 5 feet from me and my five year old who my dad came up behind me and picked up. Had that dog taken another two steps or bounce and lunge at us like he was it could have ended very badly for either of us or the dog.

12-May-21
A dog that goes beyond the control of its owner runs a risk in any state. I love my dog and fully accept responsibility for his well being. I can't abide by pervasive no fault attitudes applied to pets or people. There's a little thing a stake here called accountability (of pet owners). If the sign says leash the dog, do it.

12-May-21
No snares, or leg hold traps have been allowed I’m MA for a many years now. Cages only. Try carrying a 25 pound trap a ways in. Or a 2 pound leg hold that will actually catch a coyote, they’ll avoid cages. A leg hold around a pets leg is not life threatening. Snares are for sure. MA is a tough trapping state. I still enjoy the opportunity.

12-May-21
A few things and please I love dogs and wish them no ill will at all: If an area says “on leash” and everyone breaks the rule and laughs about it why can’t I openly hunt a no hunt zone? No one laughs when I come out with a gun on a legal parcel- the moment I’m illegal I expect to see epo. The incident in NM involved an illegal trapper. So all legal trapping is banned which is only a punishment for law abiding trappers. I don’t think the law will affect illegal trappers they are already breaking the law. I was pointing this out even though I don’t trap and most likely never will. Trapping really intrigues me but thats another conversation. My point is: notice how one incident outside the existing law shut the whole legal activity down. It would be like someone shoots a deer with a rifle out of season and they shut down bow hunting on all public land. Lastly, I did a poor job paraphrasing rinellas comments but I agree with his core thought: somewhere along the way people have gained the right to be with their dogs off leash just about anywhere and they can dictate to everyone else what to do. I’ve mentioned to DCR and my local parks and rec about dogs pooping on the beach before my kids go swimming there and they just say, “well it’s not allowed but we can’t enforce it.” I Mean a cell cam is $5 a month wtf they could write enough tickets to make it a profit center. Just have a epo or cop there in Ashland write 100 tickets in a day. At $5000 a day see how long it lasts. Dog walkers have rights but it’s not appropriate, or welcome, to have your dog off leash on every square foot of this planet.

12-May-21
Sorry fish guy * not big dog. No idea why I thought big dog posted first before me lol

12-May-21
And well put big dog. That guy and his dog put me in a very tough situation. Fortunately my dad grabbed my son and the dog didn’t come another step. He called the warden told him I was gonna shoot his dog. Warden called checked on things and said wow. You almost had to make a decision I’d never want to make. Your good. I don’t think you’ll see him there with his dog again.

13-May-21
For decades I kept and bred English Setters, grouse dog breeding. I love dogs and hunted all over New England.My dogs were fast and ran pretty big but always checked back to me. We hunted public and private land and I didn't need a sign with instructions to responsibly handle my dogs. People today seem to need signs for the simplest things : this coffee is hot, leash your dog , warnings for what should be obvious. Are we that dummied down?

13-May-21
We no most yes

13-May-21
PI, the few times I've been bitten were by "good dogs who positively won't bite you". Once at a venerable rod and gun club in Vt. while I had my young grandson in my arms a German Shorthair lunged up to bite my grandson for no good reason other than maybe eye contact. I moved back and took the bite in the forearm ; this was in the clubhouse in front of a lot of folks. The owner was a nice guy, apologetic and assured me the dog " had never done that before" whereupon, I took him outside and told him I wouldn't make trouble for him but sooner or later someone will. I said a few other things too. In a different setting it wouldn't have been good for ole Fido.

13-May-21
I will share a story which many will dislike. My friend has lived in a quiet neighborhood for his whole life. He built his parents an in law suite and lives in the main house with his family. He has been going for walks ever day for decades. About 7-8 years ago the neighborhood had a big turnover. Empty nesters left and new people with young families moved in. Anyway, after this turnover whenever my friend went for walks he started to get multiple dogs running out into the street and bearing their teeth. This guy has no patience for that and the town has a strict leash law. He claims we had scared of the dogs. He went and got some pepper spray and walks on the far side of the road from those houses. When they come out to bear the teeth and cross the street he hits em hard. I find it a step over the line and he’s had the cops called on him many times. Each time the cop apologizes to him and tells the homeowner to leash their dog. My point is in that neighborhood there was a time with no dogs running around and then suddenly it became acceptable for people to let their dogs out unrestrained when no one was around. There has been a shift in the US where dog owners feel they can do whatever they want with their “fur babies.”

13-May-21
2 things quick my sister had a party for Halloween (she's the good one out of us) big house relatives and what not so my aunt and uncle came dressed in one shirt and one pair of pants together. My sister has a dobi that wouldn't hurt a fly. Well everyone was laughing my aunt and uncle were strutting around the dobi came up and bit my aunt in the ass. The point is you just NEVER know. 2. Across from me is a few townhouses. If they have a dog they have to have the DNA on file. If there is crap that wasn't picked up the DNA is taken and if it's your dogs DNA you pay. A fine of 200 bucks

13-May-21
Lunker the DNA thing is nuts!

13-May-21
Try stories

13-May-21
Noob, I feel you. If a person is in a LITERAL dog park, let em off to run around. But when on state forest/public land... Nope. I dont care if Fido is the loveliest pet ever and snuggles your 2 year old to bed every night. On the leash. We are new dog owners, and that's our rule we live by. Yes, a few times the pup has pulled and gone flying off and we have to call her back, so I get that can happen. But overall... Keep em on a dang leash.

The number of times while hiking, trail running, xc skiing, snow shoeing, walking, mountain biking, hunting or fishing on various public land parcels and I go round a bend only to have someones loveable pup assume I'm pure evil and come flying in growling and stuff is to many to count. Heck, even my kids have had it happen with a few folks with pups who of course say "he's not dangerous" while Fido is flying excitedly in (to play) and knocks a kid down.

Love dogs, they are great. And if you are in the process of hunting with a dog, that is awesome and so fun. But if you are going for a walk with the family or whatever... Leash em up on public land.

• Sitka Gear