Sitka Gear
Loose tooth
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Jebediah 13-May-21
Lunker 13-May-21
Will 13-May-21
13-May-21
A couple months ago I was down in a really dense part of woods that’s loaded with deer. All kinds of sign. Can’t get permission to hunt there, but that’s a different, heartbreaking story. I came across a “trail” of broken branches, maybe around chest height. Can’t rule out another human, I realize. But I think very unlikely. My hypothesis is that it was a buck trying to get rid of his antlers (despite that I found no antlers). Do they do this? Sense that their antlers are ready to go, and try to speed-up the process? Like a kid with a loose tooth. Meant to ask about it at the time, but then I forgot and it just came back into my head.

13-May-21
I would say when they are ready they come Wright off. Any little bump will do it. I read a story from a biologist that said there horns are like a badge of honor. But I'm sure they must get sick of them. Uh yes I know they are not horns

13-May-21
2 things. 1.) based on the thread title I assumed it was Jeb, opened it and smiled. 2.) My understanding is that when the antlers are ready to fall, they fall. No work really done to make it happen, then just fall off.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

• Sitka Gear