Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Arrownoob 15-May-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 15-May-21
Arrownoob 15-May-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 15-May-21
Z9_MA 16-May-21
15-May-21
We finished my sons season today with one of the best hunts of my long hunting career. In the end no shots were fired but I’m proud of my sons decisions to err on the side of caution. I drove from 6-9pm trying to roost a bird for us and we were unsuccessful. We went into a fresh spot this morning 4am. Walked around and hooted, nothing. I saw some hens there 6-8 weeks ago so I wanted to set up where I saw the hens. Gobble. We sat down, set up decoys, 2 fat slobs came in and kicked the crap out of my funky chicken at 15 yards. I’ve never seen that it took him 15 minutes to stop shaking. I had a wooden stake and he broke the stake and popped off the screw on the back. It was epic and a great success if the goal is memories and bonding. I’ll write some about hunting success later. At this point I have one tag and I’m out there every chance I can.

15-May-21
Sounds like an awesome morning!

15-May-21

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
Arrownoob's embedded Photo
After the early morning shift I met up with a buddy and we hit 2 spots. We got to the second spot and set up. Immediately after settling we see a bird in the field pop it’s head up. I forgot my Binos but my buddy had em and told me it had a red head and was a gobbler. We stayed there for 2 hours and so did the bird. At 11:35 I made a move. The bird was 60 yards away so I belly crawled about 30 out while my buddy did some loud calling. I popped up on my knees with the 12 ga and the bird wasn’t visible. I stood up all the way and the bird was actually still there and popped the head up. I swung my eyes first and gun second. Immediately I could tell it was a hen and never got it in the sights. It was 11:55am so I unloaded and that was that.

15-May-21
The hunting public style going after the belly crawl. I like it.

16-May-21
Nice hunt …

• Sitka Gear