jdbbowhunter 18-May-21
Shawlerbrook 19-May-21
Teeton 20-May-21
Squash 21-May-21
Teeton 23-May-21
Arrownoob 02-Jun-21
Teeton 03-Jun-21
17-May-21
Hi Everyone, it been a long time since I hunted (2006) Ny, . I live not to far from Hancock, Ny, in Pa I used to hunt the western half of the Catskills and a little west of them. I then started hunting out west DIY Elk and din't really have time to hunt Ny. I'm pretty much only hunt archery. Was planning on doing some scouts this summer. I have an rv I hunt out of, which makes it very convenient. So here are my questions as a non resident.

Looks like my regular license is $100, plus a $30 bow stamp which includes deer, I think only a buck, yes or no? Bear, yes or no? Small game Yes or no? Not planning on hunting small game. So whats this hip program ? Do I even need to worry about it? Also whats the deal to hunt antlerless deer, how many tags can you get? What licenses/tags do I need? Add anything else you think my help. Thanks Ed

18-May-21
Your $100 license allows you to hunt big ( one bear tag)or small game. You will need a turkey permit to hunt turkeys. Your bow license will give you a antlered/antlerless tag. You can also get a seconded anterless only tag you can use during the bow season if you buy a muzzleloader license. DMU permits can be used for anterless only during all seasons but in certain areas they may be hard to draw, especially for a non resident.

18-May-21
Thanks Shawlerbrook, I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a roll. I tried to find someone last year to hunt with. I had a guy tell me he was going to hunt with me, so when the time came to start scouting, he was all ways to busy. So the summer came and went and I didn't get out to scout, so I didn't make it to Ny to hunt. This year I'm just planning on doing it my shelf. I only live 40 minutes to a little over a hour from the places I used to hunt. Most times I would go up on a Saturday night and hunt Sunday, Did a few Saturdays and Sundays also and even just a few Sunday afternoon hunts.

On the regular license with a bow tag if I understand you correct, I can shoot a buck or a doe, but not one of each? I may or may not try to get an extra doe tag. Where I'm at in my hunt life, I pretty much only hunt larger bucks, so and 8 point with 3 inch horns and a 15 inch spread would get a pass..

Not sure of where your bear population is now, but when I used to hunt Ny it was pretty good in the areas I used to hunt. Bear are mostly just a change encounter. BUT!!

Are trail cameras legal in Ny? I have not really gone over the Ny regulation hard core yet. Can tree stands be left on all of only some State lands and what are the rules for that? Here in Pa if you leave them on game lands to have to have a tag on the with a tree stand number issued by our DOW. Sorry about all the questions. But this is what the Bowsite's for, Thanks ED

18-May-21
Bear population is very good, especially in Delaware/Sullivan County . You can shoot any deer with the bow tag during the archery season. The regular season tag is only good in the regular season and thereafter. Trail cams and tree stands are legal, but not sure about the state land rules. There will also be a new season this year the week from Christmas ?? to New Year. Check out the NYSDEC website if you haven’t already.

18-May-21
Pretty sure Sullivan county is 3points on a side during archery, not sure about delaware county.

19-May-21
Jd is right, some of that area has antler restrictions.

20-May-21
Thanks guys!! Over the last week I've been brushing up on all the new rules/regs that Ny has. Heres a couple of rules that I still got to clear up. Tree stand have to be removed from state land and not left over night. But this looks to like theres going to be a changed to a week or two after the last season closes. Trail cameras left on state land over night is considered trash. But it seems to be a little spirit on the law on this one. Still learning!! Ed

21-May-21
Not true, treestands can be placed on state and conservation easement lands, during big game season, for the entire season, as long as you have your lic ID # or name and address.on them. You cannot use nails or damage the tree. They must be removed within 30 days of the close of the big game season. Game cameras are a grey area, good luck getting a definitive answer from law enforcement on that issue.

23-May-21
Spuash, I actually call the Ny DOW on a few things. So I have a good understanding. It was last week that I called. They are the ones that told me about the tree stands and that its being changed for this year on leaving them like you stated. I'm only stating what they told me and in no way am doubting what you stated ..Cameras was that gray area you spoke of. I was told to check with the local WCO on them. Sounded like I would get a ok to use them. Thanks for your input Spuash

Now I just got to find someone that would be interested in hunting with me. Last year I tried, and had two guys say they wanted to hunt. Asked both a couple of times to go up and scout in the early spring and in summer. They could not make it, so I didn't hunt last fall in Ny. Funny thing was one asked me right before the season about it, I told him I didnt scout and would not be going. This fall I'm going even if by myself. I'm done doing all the work and then have guys want to hunt after I scouted places out. .Also had guys I took places to hunt and then found them there with their buddy's. Ed

02-Jun-21
It’s fun to scout with buddies but with hunting I find it best to split up. I’ve been scouting hard with a buddy and we found some great spots. I like the idea of a hunting camp where everyone goes to a different property and then meets up later to share stories.

03-Jun-21
Arrownoob, I enjoy the camaraderie of hunting with someone. I've done hunts with my shelf and others. I enjoy the ones that I hunted with others. Going back to the camper and chatting about the days hunt, sure makes it more enjoyable. I'm a all year hunter, I start planning my next years hunting like the day after the season closes. Been doing a lot of e-scouting the last few weeks. Hoping to get up there in a couple of weeks to get boots on the ground and get a few cameras out.

• Sitka Gear