Muddyboots 04-Jul-21
Red Sparky 04-Jul-21
Oryx35 04-Jul-21
mrelite 05-Jul-21
jingalls 06-Jul-21
ohiohunter 09-Jul-21
HDE 12-Jul-21
04-Jul-21
Was down in the Gila this weekend and rain has been happening for a while. Water standing on forest roads, ground nice and damp, forage all turning green. Four out of the 5 dirt tanks I went to were dry as could be, no water at all in them but the ground was damp. The only one that had water is right next to a busy FS road and was basically a mud puddle, maybe a 16th of what was in it two years ago. How much rain from the monsoons do you think we need to start filling those tanks up? Elk and deer are looking good so I am looking forward to Sept. 1st so I can hike with my bow again this year.

04-Jul-21
Pretty much the same story here in the Sacramentos. Two things to consider. First, the ground has been super dry and these first rains probably get soaked up pretty good. Second, to fill tanks you need gully washers, where run-off happens. A slow soaking rain is nice, but doesn't fill tanks. This doesn't answer your question, but any rain is good!

04-Jul-21

Red Sparky's embedded Photo
Bear 1?
Bear 1?
Same bear?
Same bear?
Looks like I need a bear tag instead of an elk tag. Only 3 cows on the trail camera but did get this one(?) bear.

04-Jul-21
It's soo hard to tell with bears. I will tell you that a bear tag is a good thing to have in the Gila, as long as you're willing to lose time on your elk hunt to dealing with a bear.

05-Jul-21
Gila = Bearville, USA

06-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

ohiohunter's embedded Photo
ohiohunter's embedded Photo
Yup, ran into more bears in the gila than I have anywhere else.

12-Jul-21
NW part of the state is supposed to get hit pretty hard over the next 48 hours...

• Sitka Gear