Goelk 28-Sep-21
Goelk 28-Sep-21
Goelk 28-Sep-21
seneca_inc 28-Sep-21
Nock 30-Sep-21
22-Jul-21

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
All this moisture has made for a banner year for mushrooms. Getting sacks full of King Boletes (porcinis) on every hike. This morning's bounty, almost 6 lbs. YUM!!

22-Jul-21

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
All this moisture has made for a banner year for mushrooms. Getting sacks full of King Boletes (porcinis) on every hike. This morning's bounty, almost 6 lbs. YUM!!

23-Jul-21
Jaq, how does a novice know the good ones from the dangerous? Nice rings, are those diamonds real ? Badbull

24-Jul-21
Boletes are easy to distinguish. They have a spongy underside instead of gills, and they bruise "blue". There are a number of varieties in CO and all are edible, but the yellow ones found around aspens are not as tasty as the brown ones and especially the Kings I've pictured. They look like hamburger buns and are the bomb. As for the wedding ring, it's actually titanium with an elk antler inlay.

24-Jul-21
Do you dry the ones you cant use right away???...I know a couple killer King spots

24-Jul-21
Yes, drying is the way. Then seal in a Mason jar and keep in the fridge. When we reconstitute, we use the juice on the stews, etc..

24-Jul-21
Good info on the mushrooms and congrats for your great idea on the wedding ring.

24-Jul-21
I find tons but they always are full of worms! I guess I need to get out earlier.

26-Jul-21
Man I need to go with someone some day and learn about mushrooms. I see them all the time but not sure if eatable.

26-Jul-21
Those look great, I'd love to get an in-person lesson on mushroom picking Lou!

27-Jul-21
Crazy how dry it is over here in NW Colorado! Totally different going East a little into North Park and the front range. Haven’t picked boletas in a while. Might need to go check a few spots…

27-Jul-21
Bob, sometimes it's like that. Only one of those in the photo had any bugs. Half of what I got Sunday were wormy.

28-Jul-21
Take off your reading glasses and grind some pepper on them - you won't see or taste the difference :>)

28-Jul-21

Schwammerl's embedded Photo
Schwammerl's embedded Photo

28-Jul-21

kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo
Lots of shrooms and some size to them.

28-Jul-21

kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo

29-Jul-21
Back in college at summer forestry camp a few of us decided to try those Amanita Muscaria in a blender with orange juice to hide the taste. No hallucinations, but rather felt like I'd had about 9 cups of coffee and smoked a pack of Camel straights. That was four hours of regret..

29-Jul-21

Stoneman's embedded Photo
Stoneman's embedded Photo
Ok, I'll play. Found some.

29-Jul-21
In the late 70's I showed up late to a Dave Mason concert at Redrocks. I had been camping by Freemont pass and threw a few of those in my pack. Seeing my 'buds' 4th row mid stadium I raised my bounty which after seeing them they quickly ushered me down for center row seats. I believe there had been an article in hightimes magazine with amanita muscaria on the cover which paved my way. I didn't eat them myself but I sure enjoyed the show.

29-Jul-21
I give up messing with the photo editing... pos

01-Aug-21
I didn't know anything about boletes until reading this thread. Three of us were down in the Sangres climbing Mt. Lindsey this week and on our way back to camp we met a guy on the trail carrying one. He showed us what to look for and they seem to be pretty easy to identify. He said he had collected about 80 lbs in two days. They were a lot of them around.

02-Aug-21

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I absolutely love porcini mushrooms. IMO, they are the tastiest of all mushrooms. I can't wait to get up to a few of my favorite harvest spots.

Matt

01-Sep-21

1979cj5's embedded Photo
1979cj5's embedded Photo
We found some Boletus this weekend as well, between Durango and Silverton. Relatively dry there though, so crop of the good stuff was limited.

27-Sep-21

Goelk's embedded Photo
Mushrooms
Goelk's embedded Photo
Mushrooms
Ok I need my mushroom expert What are these and are they eatable.

28-Sep-21

Goelk's embedded Photo
Goelk's embedded Photo

28-Sep-21
Compare to shaggy mane and see if you have a match. Check underneath, stem and spore print.. Cant positively ID without that.

28-Sep-21
thanks Well Strung i got more picks to show.

28-Sep-21

Goelk's embedded Photo
Goelk's embedded Photo

28-Sep-21

Goelk's embedded Photo
Goelk's embedded Photo

28-Sep-21

Goelk's embedded Photo
Goelk's embedded Photo

28-Sep-21

Goelk's embedded Photo
Goelk's embedded Photo
Another kind mushroom

28-Sep-21
The last one could be a honey mushroom. Armillaria

30-Sep-21
Stoneman, I don't know crap about mushrooms but saw Dave Mason play at the Fort Collins Holiday Inn back in the late 80's. I think many at that concert were still high from your Redrock shrooms.

• Sitka Gear