Contributors to this thread:
Onepin 03-Aug-21
Tekoa 03-Aug-21
Shawlerbrook 03-Aug-21
Cornpone 03-Aug-21
Onepin 04-Aug-21
petcontain 04-Aug-21
03-Aug-21
I have been bowhunting deer on a 80 acre parcel in Hancock and have seen bear numerous times. While shooting one has crossed my mind, I haven't yet. Simple reason is I eat what I shoot. I have had bear twice in 30 years. Once was excellent in a nice marinade and the other time was horrible. So my question is ..A. Do you guys eat the same cuts as deer or do you grind everything or... and B. Do you butcher the same way as deer? Thx for your input folks. Rick

03-Aug-21
I freeze in 4-5 pound roasts, really just chunks, not careful cuts like I would make on a deer. Then I cook the same as a any pulled pork recipe. Easy and pretty foolproof. I have never had one compaint over the years. Worth noting that I only cook and eat bear that I have taken and processed if it is early in the season. The hot weather makes handling a challenge and I want to know how the meat has been handled.

03-Aug-21
Agree with Tekoa. Also, it matters what the bear are feeding on and how the meat is handled, like all wild game. Bear meat, unlike venison, much be cooked well done to prevent possible trichonosis . Many just make sausage.

03-Aug-21
Well, I've only ever killed one black bear, in Colorado. The meat was great. Even my wife liked it, which is saying something. We had to crock pot it or cube it well otherwise it was tough. Per the resultant tooth analysis at the CO check station it was seven years old...not an old bear and only 200#.

04-Aug-21
Do you guys ever grind it and mix with venison for sausage or meat loaf or really just crock pot the heck out of it for a pulled type of meat?

04-Aug-21
I had bear from the one I shot in Quebec it was great smoked like a brisket was better than great. Need to watch their feed. Dump bears are going to taste bad. Nuts and berries good. Cook well done.

• Sitka Gear