rooster 15-Sep-21
SIP 16-Sep-21
badams1987 16-Sep-21
DonVathome 26-Oct-21
cord62 12-Dec-21
SIP 13-Dec-21
DonVathome 29-Nov-22
23-Aug-21
Anybody know of any cabins for rent within 1/2 hour of nelsonville area? Or a barn that a fella and his brother could pay to set up a tent or two? First year out in ohio this year, hopefully first of many, trying to get out feet under us. We have a connection up in Frazeysburg but want to hunt in the southern part of the state and its too far a drive to stay at his place.

Hoping to maybe build a good relationship with a landowner of some sort for a steady place to set up camp a few times a year. We plan to hunt hard and are fairly quiet for the most part when back around the campfire at night, so wont be a bother. PM me please if u have any ideas or know of any good camping areas. Had briefly talked to a couple guys back in spring but didnt stay in touch with the busy summer and pm’s disappeared. Thanks in advance for any help.

24-Aug-21
I would think this should be very simple. Do a Google search on 'cabins hocking hills' and you're in business. No...I don't know of any to recommend as I live here and have no reason to be informed. I can almost assure you that cabin and cottage rentals in October may be slim to none, as that's prime leaf and hiking season.

For more searches simply replace 'Hocking Hills' with the name of any town in the region.

24-Aug-21
Thanks kevin. We have been looking for available state owned cabins since spring and have been striking out on availability, which i expected. It looks to me like we can tent on wayne national and are fully prepared to do so, just hoping to find something with a shelter option should mother nature make it tough to have a tent for a roof. Thanks again for taking the time!

24-Aug-21
Try contacting Top of the Caves campground. Stayed there a few times back in the 90's. You could pitch a tent, rent a teepee, or a small cabin. A friend and I rented a small cabin for a bowhunt in Hocking State Forest. If my memory serves me correct it was big enough for two people and equipment. That was back in '95 I believe. Don't know where you plan to hunt but Google them and see if they fit your needs.

24-Aug-21
Will do. Thanks old reb

26-Aug-21
Thanks for the tip old Reb. We are booked to stay in one of the smaller rustic cabins for the time we will be out there. We are definitely a little farther west of where we would like to be but there is plenty of public ground within half an hour of the campground so We will just Have to find a shooter buck on that end of town. Thanks again and good luck this season

15-Sep-21
Lake Hope State Park in Vinton county has cabins. Zaleski State Forest also in Vinton county has a primitive "hunters" campground.

16-Sep-21
Thanks for the tip rooster. We are set for our trip the last weekend in October, BUT are planning to make at least one more trip the following weekend and hopefully a couple more before its all over and the place we are staying shuts down November 1st, so we will need another option at some point. This year is all about trying to learn where we need to be looking and how to get on the deer out there. Super excited to give it heck!

16-Sep-21
If you have a connection in Frazeysburg who will let you hunt up there, i would find a way to do it...hunting in that area is exceptional. Right in the corner of Muskingum and Coshocton counties, two of the best counties in the state.

26-Oct-21
Leafers will have book cabins now, and jacked up prices fyi

Motels?

12-Dec-21
SIP ... HOW D IT GO? WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS NEXT YEAR? WHERE YOU LOOKING?

13-Dec-21
We stayed at top o the caves as suggested above by old reb. It wasnt cheap, but i dont know what the going rate is for cabins in ohio, just putting it against the state park cabins we use here in PA. Having said that, the cabin was perfect for what we needed, was a pretty cool little shack. The shower/bath house was serviceable, but u would want a fairly low maintenance crew if you were taking the family.

The hunting…well, i dont feel that our time there was a fair representation of what it has to offer. The woods were VERY green, like mostly green our first trip the last weekend in october and wasnt much better the next weekend. There wasnt much sign the several places we checked out and the spot we felt best about yielded no deer sightings. We did have a group of 5 guys from New York come into our block our second trip and not that it would have killed our chances to see deer, with the lack of sign and not seeing deer during our all day sits, we felt it best to move on. We checked close to the road places, far from the road places and several places in between, just didnt see much sign and no deer. I talked to several guys that hunt ohio annually and the story was the same…if u had a hot doe near you, you saw rut activity. But if not, there wasnt near the cruising activity there normally would be. Yeah, we were early for peak movement, but november 5-7th is a time that deer should be on their feet doing abnormal things and they werent.

We look forward to getting back out next year and are going to check out some of the same areas as we found some really good looking spots with historical sign, things were just a little later than we needed this year. We also will likely hit up the same cabin area to stay in as it served what we needed quite well.

Again, greatly appreciate the info provided. Have a Merry Christmas fellas!

29-Nov-22
One idea if you can find a funnel it can produce. A really good funnel in deer country will have a mature buck cruise through at some point during the rut. Just a thought.

• Sitka Gear