Aspen Ghost 09-Sep-21
Wild Bill 13-Jan-24
Jaquomo 13-Jan-24
Ziek 13-Jan-24
bad karma 14-Jan-24
Insheart 15-Jan-24
PECO2 16-Jan-24
28-Aug-21
Someone stole our Ameristep Kick-Out ground blind we had setup over a waterhole in unit 87. They left the carry bag behind. If anyone sees one advertised for sale, please message me and let me know. Thanks, Josh

28-Aug-21
Knowing the wind out there, have you looked a mile to the SE. :)

28-Aug-21
I hear ya Paul. Being that it was staked out at four corners, four guy lines and was collapsible, it should have folded in on itself. Also, the carry bag was still there. I’m guessing stollen. But I could be wrong

28-Aug-21
Sometimes it is hard to love your fellow man, isn't it. Even though I hunted far from roads and trails I have had food taken out of my camp, stoves stolen and treestands taken, I would like to MAGA!!

28-Aug-21
Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that. I always like to think no one will take my treestand but it probably happens more than I care to think. Never really thought about ground blinds either, no way to secure them at all, not even with a run of the mill cable lock

28-Aug-21
Not that is matters but we’re you on public or private?

28-Aug-21
Making me question my plan to leave $$$$ of hammock and sleeping bag and tarps out from Tomorrow until Weds...........Sure would be nice to have less to pack in Weds night, nothing to set up.......just get there, chill, sleep and get up ready to hunt.

But one arsehole taking my gear could ruin the first day or two easily.....

hmmmmmmmm

28-Aug-21
There was a terrific wind burst in the middle of the night the night before last east of Fort Collins. Took out power, tossed picnic tables around. Knocked over a BBQ grill. Might have sent your blind packing.

I once thought someone stole my canoe that was upside down in my yard. A few days later I spotted it in a field over a mile away....

28-Aug-21
Sounds like a hell of a storm. I just figure the carry bag would have got blown away too. It was on the ground inside the blind

The blind was on public

28-Aug-21
Last weekend we had a monster of a wind storm it pulled all my stakes out good thing I had it tied to t post and fence it probably in Kansas

29-Aug-21
Anywhere with cattle I always fence in my blind with 4 T posts and 2 strands of barbed wire. Otherwise they don't survive the first visit from the herd.

29-Aug-21
I hate thieves. Lost a tree stand few years ago, to a thief. Hope you find the SOB, but long odds.

29-Aug-21
It never fails to amuse me when someone abandons their property on public land then claims it was "stolen" by someone. The words you're looking for are salvaged and cleaned up the trash.

29-Aug-21
How long ago did you set it up?

30-Aug-21
As for abandoned property on public ground if I took your truck, I take it would be ok? Stealing is stealing! One time someone stole my fresh ground coffee from my backcountry camp, that was a tough week!

30-Aug-21
"It never fails to amuse me when someone abandons their property on public land then claims it was "stolen" by someone. The words you're looking for are salvaged and cleaned up the trash."

Geez, hope you never have anything stolen, I mean cleaned up, from your camp that you may have set up on public ground for a week of hunting. I mean after all, weather or not you're actually in camp at the time is irrelevant in your eyes it sounds like.

30-Aug-21
No S**T TR.......so the rule is you have to be in camp or with your property 100% of the time if you are on public ground? Makes sense. NOT

31-Aug-21
Guess it's ok to salvage treestands, tents, whatever "trash" we find laying around on public land. Good to know!

31-Aug-21
Just another stab in the back for hunting. there are so few true sportsman anymore, its sad.

31-Aug-21
You know it is a lack of respect for private property, but I know our new administration wants to do away with private property and make it all public. Maybe that's where this freedom to steal is coming from and ultimately going to end up. So we can now hunt anywhere we want!

31-Aug-21
I didn't interject my opinion on the legal concept of abandoned property on public lands as it concerns a campsite. However that also has big issues these days. We've all seen the dropped off trailers and preset tents a week in advance of the hunt. Legally that is illegal and is considered abandoned property. You do not have the right to de facto "reserve" a piece of public land for yourself. Its wrong. To think that you can just setup a blind, tree stand or game cameras on public property and expect it to be there upon your return; whenever that will be; is laughable. If you do so you're creating the problem, not the person who took it. I suggest you load up your rigs with your valuables and go park it unlocked/locked somewhere on east Colfax and see how that works out for you. I'm not saying I'd take your stuff but I have been known to throw a few chitty kids tent that were used to "reserve" a campsite in the fire. ??

31-Aug-21
I appreciate your explanation Tom. I am not sure I agree with you. I don't see putting my hammock up 3 days before I go hunt to be a "reservation" of anything other than the two trees it is strung between. Someone wants to pitch a tent underneath my hammock...I can't stop it. But for someone to wander by and decide to damage it or take it for themselves, there is no defense or justification for such low life activity. Am I assuming the risk it might happen, just like the OP did in leaving their ground blind. Hell yes. I get that. Doesn't excuse bad behavior by others and it does not make my doing so somehow morally corrupt or contemptible. Seriously. I suppose if I left it there and never intended to go retrieve it or use it, that is a totally different thing.

01-Sep-21
once again, comparing Colfax to the woods, WOW. What a stretch.

Sounds to me like you're part of the problem. Don't like someone beating you to the spot so you throw their chitty kids tent in the fire. NICE. Obviously you don't respect anyone's private property. If you have a problem with someone's property, why not call the local authority and let them deal with it. After all, you are NOT the law, although it sounds like you don't mind taking the law into your own hands whenever you see fit to do so.

01-Sep-21
From: TRnCO01-Sep-21Private Reply once again, comparing Colfax to the woods, WOW. What a stretch. Sounds to me like you're part of the problem. Don't like someone beating you to the spot so you throw their chitty kids tent in the fire. NICE. Obviously you don't respect anyone's private property. If you have a problem with someone's property, why not call the local authority and let them deal with it. After all, you are NOT the law, although it sounds like you don't mind taking the law into your own hands whenever you see fit to do so.

Some people think they're so special that they are entitled to ignore the Law when it conveniences them. So lets say you rush up to your desired CS in the NF on the weekend prior to your hunt and claim a CS. You set up your whatever then beat it back home to work; Ahh I got mine! 3 days prior to the opener we show up as we're want to do to setup, cut firewood, scout and be ready. Friday night Mr. selfish shows up bellorin and a hollerin bout how we's all setup in his spot. Huh? What do you mean pal? I had a tent and a chair here. Well sorry about that but it wasn't here when we got here so....?? More stomping, swearing and threatening. Beat it mack and don't come back. So yeah. 30-40 miles back in the NF I am the Law. Don't like it? tough.

02-Sep-21
Personally, I wouldn't leave anything out on public land. People suck. I wonder who, the wind, antis, hunter, punk kids, punk adults?

02-Sep-21
Not really "the Law" but more "the asshole".

02-Sep-21
Nothing illegal about leaving your blind up on public property in CO. With that said if you leave it and not hunting legally someone else can hunt out of it but they can't steal it. Soon I will hang two or three treestands on public for eastern archery deer season. If you would like Tom Donohue I will send you the locations on OnX you welcome to try and take them. I agree with OK...Russ you are a asshole.

02-Sep-21
Lately in the units I hunt, I see more campers than hunters leaving a tent to take the campsite. It never occurred to me to take their stuff. I can't do the mental gymnastics to justify taking someone else stuff even if they are hogging the campsite.

02-Sep-21
I also agree with OK...Russ. Mr Donohoe, I hope you never make it to Colorado. We already have enough Dic.heads abusing our Mountains.

03-Sep-21
Wow! If you really are AZ elk hunter please go back there and hunt elk once every five years at best and leave what’s still good about Colorado to us.

03-Sep-21
Tdwhip02-Sep-21Private Reply I also agree with OK...Russ. Mr Donohoe, I hope you never make it to Colorado. We already have enough Dic.heads abusing our Mountains. From: Quinn @work03-Sep-21Private Reply Wow! If you really are AZ elk hunter please go back there and hunt elk once every five years at best and leave what’s still good about Colorado to us.

Not to worry gang I'll be in CO on the 15th for an OTC elk-bear hunt. I'll be there to restore some of what made CO great! Hoping to bag a full limit of blues and great fishing too. Hopefully some mushrooms will still be around. I've contacted the USDA for clarification concerning the "squatting" on the NFS Lands. I'll post up the response from them for all.

07-Sep-21
Anxiously awaiting to read the part about where they replied to you when you told them that if you found someone else's stuff that you'd take it upon yourself to dispose said stuff in a fire.

07-Sep-21
From: TRnCO07-Sep-21Private Reply Anxiously awaiting to read the part about where they replied to you when you told them that if you found someone else's stuff that you'd take it upon yourself to dispose said stuff in a fire.

Can you phrase that in a question please Tim.

08-Sep-21
OK Did you tell who ever it was that you talked to that if they didn't take care of the issue that you would do it yourself?

08-Sep-21
From: TRnCO08-Sep-21Private Reply OK Did you tell who ever it was that you talked to that if they didn't take care of the issue that you would do it yourself?

Actually yes, several times. I went and expressed my concerns to the local NFS Ranger district about the rampant squatting going on. They know that it's illegal but are refusing to enforce the Laws and regs regarding such during hunting season. I then of course demanded that they produce the internal policy that affords them the luxury of NOT enforcing their Laws, Regs and Rules. If you want to see a worm squirm go ask those kind of questions. Now these were the District Rangers not the rank and file. I also asked the same questions from the county Sheriff with the same response because one hand always washes the other right? Anyway long story short I posed the questions and ended up saying; so you're not going to do anything about this even if I call to complain? Hem, haw and lots of boot scrapping in the dirt. So then I say if you're not going to enforce the Law then I have the right to secure my Rights. More toe digging in the dirt without eye contact. Well...we wouldn't recommend that. Well I'm sure you wouldn't since you just told me so. I got them all to admit that I have the Right to that CS and I have the right to confiscate what ever abandoned property is there whether it be tent or RV. PS; doing so is not an act of theft either. The most encountered scenario is a guy goes up on a Sat/Sun the week prior and setups a crappy little kids tent and maybe throws out a crappy kids chair right in the middle of a CS. Its so obvious as to be laughable right? We go over and look inside the tent because hey; were concerned about a dead body being in there but there's nothing. No camping gear at all and the chair is usually blown over or full of needles and such. Well that stuff gets folded up and either thrown in the fire or stuffed under a log somewhere off site and we setup our bona fide camp. We always setup 3 days prior because there's so much to do before the hunt and the 14 day stay limit starts the second the 1st. peg is driven into the dirt. Late on Friday night the squatters always appear, usu gassed up, and rant and rave about how we're setup in their spot. Huh? How do you figure bub? We had a tent setup here reserving this spot! Well sorry guys but there was nothing here when we arrived on Wed. More ranting, raving, f-bombs and even threats. Hey bub if you gotta problem with us being here go call the Sheriff. They go away mad as hornets and we laugh. they never come back. Now before you guys go off on me you should go off on the NFS. They're creating this problem by closing NF CG's too early and by actively decommissioning thousands of dispersed camp sites across the West. Cause and effect. The competition for CS's is only going to increase. So if you need a solid gent to watch over your CS while you're back at home working for the man; whos screwing you over every hour; shoot me a dm. We can work something out $$. To cap it off. Squatters have zero rights and no claims can be as to public lands.

08-Sep-21
that story sure is a far cry from someone having a hunting blind stolen, remember, it was you who called that "abandoned" property. Now you got this whole story that has nothing to do with where the conversation started.

08-Sep-21
From: TRnCO08-Sep-21Private Reply that story sure is a far cry from someone having a hunting blind stolen, remember, it was you who called that "abandoned" property. Now you got this whole story that has nothing to do with where the conversation started.

The conversation evolves but the principle remains the same. The OP reports that someone "stole" his blind off of public land but didn't take the carry bag? Does that make sense to you? You steal a ground blind but don't bother to fold it up and stuff it into its sack? The 2nd response is most likely the correct one. Big wind comes up as they do across the plains and whoosh; tent is gone. Especially if you left windows open. You've seen those crummy stakes they come with I assume? The OP wasn't interested in walking over to Neb to find it I guess so he'd rather claim it was thieves! The overarching point is that if you leave your personal property set up on public land you have no reasonable expectation that it'll be there when you get back. And its legally considered abandoned. Now I come across blinds and cams all the time but I'm not interested in stealing someone elses stuff. Its morally wrong. I will however hunt out of it if I want because why not? But I'm not a sit on my tookus hunter. I move. Don't forget now; If you need a CB to watch over your camp booking dates are open $$.

08-Sep-21
Tom, I'm not sure I understand the difference between you burning/disposing of someone else's equipment when they are not there and someone else burning/disposing of your equipment when you leave camp to go hunting/fishing/whatever. In both cases no one is at camp so according to you the equipment is abandoned. The only difference I can ascertain is that only you have the special power of distinguishing between "abandoned equipment" and an "occupied camp" with no one present.

The clue that you are in the wrong is that you admit the need to lie to the equipment owners and claim the equipment wasn't there when you arrived. If you had a clear conscious you would tell them the truth.

08-Sep-21
Sorry, "bub" but unless the chitty kids tent is on the site for more than the 14 or 16 day camping limit, it isn't illegal. And that is NEVER enforced. Let's say I go down to town for a couple days to restock and mow the lawn and leave a tent and chair in my camping spot. Does that give someone the right to demolish my tent and "claim" my site?

08-Sep-21
Not to worry gang I'll be in CO on the 15th for an OTC elk-bear hunt. I'll be there to restore some of what made CO great! Hoping to bag a full limit of blues and great fishing too. Hopefully some mushrooms will still be around. I've contacted the USDA for clarification concerning the "squatting" on the NFS Lands. I'll post up the response from them for all.

So youre gonna know who has been "squatting" on NFS Lands when you come in on the 15th of September when you say there is a 14 day limit?

09-Sep-21
This is about as useful as my notifying good ole boy Colton that his driving his jeep back on closed roads that are clearly not open to motor vehicle use according to the current MVUM for that area. Might as well piss in the wind as to argue these points with some dudes.......c'est la vie. Now that don't stop me from sharing and explaining to the Colton types...heck I'm an optimist and once you are put on notice then its on you if you persist in violation of the regs and law. But to expect a change in attitude or belief system.......com'on man! Get real. You can't fix stupid or assholeness.

09-Sep-21
I made a real score this morning! Found a wall tent, two chairs, two cots, two sleeping bags and a camp kitchen obviously abandoned on a NF dispersed campsite, because nobody was around. So I exercised my right as a dutiful, responsible citizen and cleaned it up, got it allout of there so some other hunter can camp in that spot. Now I feel better!

09-Sep-21
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

09-Sep-21
That's a good find Lou. I'm hoping to find an abandoned 4x4 with arizona plates after the 15th. It's amazing what people will abandon in the forest.

13-Jan-24
I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for missing pop-up ground blinds, trail cams, and the $100.00 bill left on the ground. I just not too sure how much use Big Foot has for such things. On public land, anything goes! Anything left unattended is considered abandoned and is up for grabs! Keep this in mind next time your trying to decided about leaving your pop-up hunting blind in place unattended.

13-Jan-24
So if I find a truck parked in National Forest and nobody is around, it's OK to break in and steal the contents, or even the truck itself? How about a wall tent? ATVs? I live right beside a popular National Forest, and could start a lucrative side business stealing stuff and reselling it on Craigslist...

13-Jan-24
Leaving a ground blind, tree stand, or camp, set up unattended for a couple of days in no way "reserves" a spot, in intention nor physically. If you really want to be an ass, set your own tree stand in the next tree over, or higher or lower in the same tree, or your ground blind right next to the one already set, or your camp right next to the other one. It's is certainly NO excuse to damage, destroy, or confiscate someone else's property. What ever happened to showing a little courtesy? I don't ever remember having these problems 20 or more years ago. If someone took the time and energy to set up early and it's a small site, move on.

Many years ago the CBA tried to get the Forest Service/BLM to allow hunters to leave a camp up for the duration of time their hunting license was good for. After all, outfitters leave their camps in for the duration of ALL seasons. We were told they get charged a fee for that. We said fine, charge us a nominal fee. We got no where. But as Lou said, it is never enforced. Some of us have had our elk camps set for the entire season, plus or minus a few days on each end without issue. One year some MLs came up the hill hoping to camp in "our" spot. We invited them to stay and camp with us. They declined. Handled like gentlemen all around.

On the other hand, we left a camper overnight a few years ago to retrieve more gear. It turned into two nights so I could visit my ailing Dad who's nursing home had just opened up for visitation during Covid. When we returned, someone had slashed the tires of the camper. Never mind there was plenty of room to camp in the immediate vicinity. What kind of POS does that?

I've also had a tree stand stolen, and since I only set one at a time, not 3 or 4 (courtesy goes both ways), that really sucked.

14-Jan-24
I had a tree stand stolen and the guy actually scratched "thank you" in the tree. I hope he wrecked his truck on the way home.

15-Jan-24
Unbelievable azelk, how you try to justify being a thief and lier!

Someday you are going to mess with the wrong persons camp and pay the price!

16-Jan-24
I will not leave a blind, or trail camera on public land. There are just too many people out there these days.

• Sitka Gear