Moultrie Mobile
Another Velvet Question
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
Ccity65 30-Aug-21
Ccity65 31-Aug-21
pikeinco 31-Aug-21
30-Aug-21
So, if I happen to arrow a buck early in the season, in the velvet, but I want a hard horned euro mount, how do the mounts that get manually stripped come out? I am assuming the horns will need to be stained with something to look like a natural hard horn? Does it matter when I take off the velvet? does it need to come off immediately? I can't imagine it making a difference but thought I would ask. For those of you that have done this, are you happy with the results, looking natural??

31-Aug-21
I think my above question may be pointless. I saw 2 bucks yesterday evening that I have not seen all summer. On looked very similar to one that was in this area last fall. At last light, through binos, I believe the largest was starting to rub. I am not certain about this but that is what it appeared as light evaporated into night. I'll try to get out and check again tonight, if only to see if they are still in the area or if they were just passing through.

31-Aug-21
The fresher the velvet is, the easier it will be to remove. If it dries out, soak in water or put wet towels on it. You will need to stain the antler after that. I removed the velvet on one years ago, and I colored them like the deer do. Rub them in dirt, tree limbs, leaves, etc. Takes a while, but came out nice. There is stain also made just for that purpose. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear