goyt 09-Oct-21
Hunts_with_stick 12-Oct-21
Pat Lefemine 23-Oct-21
Lone Wolf 24-Oct-21
Zbone 25-Oct-21
Hunts_with_stick 25-Oct-21
Zbone 25-Oct-21
03-Sep-21
This is only my second summer owning land in Ohio so I’m still figuring things out but as far as mature bucks are concerned it’s much slower than last year by this time. Might be the hot, muggy weather, or the neighboring land being corn rather than the beans.

Curious what everyone else is experiencing?

03-Sep-21
By 'slow' are you likely referring to images captured on trailcams? I have basically no experience with them, so can't comment on that. But maybe to a more general perspective....

I've personally seen properties show mature bucks (and sometimes amazing ones) for multiple seasons and then suddenly they're absent. It's been that way on my farm. For 2 straight years I couldn't lay eyes on anything over 3.5 years old. I thought maybe someone was baiting, or maybe it was crop-related, or an alien abduction. Last year there were superb bucks roaming openly in view of our home. The same thing is happening this year. My wife is at the dining area windows each evening spotting the shooters and calling them out to me. I'm on the sofa and usually don't even get up unless she says the magic words. "They're almost in the yard!"

I'm amazed at the amount of deer around my region. I'm not kidding when I say I wish we had half as many....mainly for the safety of driving. I had great hunting when the fields held 5-8 deer. Now it's typical to have 16-20 out every evening.

03-Sep-21
Pat, I have white Oak acorns falling already at my house. The deer are hammering them. Could just be changing food source?

04-Sep-21
We are a little slow as well for normal. Hope it picks up in the next few weeks. I will say that it's not uncommon for there to be some odd fluctuations right now with deer losing their velvet. Seems to kind of put it in a tailspin for a minute. But if you were talking the last couple months, should be pretty consistent. Ours has been less than normal. Still not concerned, at least yet.

05-Sep-21
Plenty of deer are using our property. I do not have cameras setup very well. However I do have a few pictures of a nice buck. I just planted rye, crimson clover and a few pounds of radishes yesterday. The brassicas are up and doing well and fortunately nothing is mowing them done. The deer are primarily on lush, high quality hay for dairy cows where it is hard to get close up pictures.

05-Sep-21
I’ve seen pretty consistent numbers so far. Most of the usual suspects are around with a couple newcomers this week. Current cam check shows about 50/50 in and out of velvet. The newcomers are hard horned and I see it every year. The new bucks show up and some regulars leave. Also seeing lots of acorns but not many dropping yet. Doesn’t seem to be as many as last year but still a decent crop. If your neighbor planted corn, your deer are still close, but most likely utilizing the corn as cover. The farm I hunt had corn last year, beans currently. Corn years are way better than bean years for holding and seeing your target deer.

06-Sep-21
Thanks guys. I’m seeing the same amount of deer, just far fewer mature bucks. Most of my bucks are out of velvet now.

06-Sep-21
I think that mature bucks can be very localized on a preferred food source before the beans turn yellow, the acorns start dropping and they shed. I would guess that if you are not getting them on all of your cameras that they are just not using your property right now. This is a little surprising seeing that you do have some beans. (On a side note I do miss your food plot feature. ) Hopefully some will relocate to your property as they change food sources. As you well know, if you have does the mature bucks will come looking come late October and November. I do vary my hunting strategies based on whether I have a mature buck travelling on my property in daylight in early season.

07-Sep-21
Seems I have the same two mature does with their annual twin fawns in my back yard about daily.... Was watching the one family group last evening and the fawns spots have almost faded away, but haven't seen a buck back there all summer....

08-Sep-21
I've noticed less pictures with corn this year compared to beans last year. i'd say they are holding tight and eating corn. once it's picked you'll see a change. also, make sure you arent causing too much pressure, being your second year its possible.

10-Sep-21
Ben, I was living at my Ohio ground last year. I was renovating my house, and doing a ton of habitat work on the ground. This year I was there maybe 20% compared to 2020 and no real pressure.

We still have 4 year olds but nothing older than that. It’s always fun to learn a new area and all the variables that affect it.

Last year we had a great start and a slow finish. Hopefully it’s the opposite this year.

Thanks

08-Oct-21
This weather isn’t helping either!

08-Oct-21
Not at all. Going into mid-Oct with temps in the high 70's??

I have lots of buck pics, but can't find a single scrape on my ground. They are late getting the itch this year. And, not just my Ohio ground, that observation includes my PA property, and my NY property too.

Hopefully, activity will explode when the temps change.

08-Oct-21
Found some scrapes on a new property we just got access to between Warren and Middlefield. Rubs are picking up as well. 80 for a high early next week.

09-Oct-21

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
I am seeing some scrapes opening up in the last week. However daytime movement of mature bucks has all but stopped. Hopefully it will cool downs later in the month.

12-Oct-21
Not much here in pa or Ohio, albeit, haven’t checked the cams either. Been too hot like Pat says. High 70’s? No thank you!

23-Oct-21
It really picked up this week. Have bucks hitting my mock scrapes and finding a bunch of new scrapes and rubs. I guess we just needed the hot weather to end.

24-Oct-21
Bucks moved good this morning. No big ones but this week and next shod be fun!

25-Oct-21
Yeah, the October lull is over, its heating up, now seeing dead ones on the highways, chasing seems to start annually around the 20-23rd, my girlfriend's son had a "deer" hit the side of his car on the 20th, did some damage... Hadn't had a chance to talk to him since but ask her if buck or doe, she didn't know...

25-Oct-21
This weeks weather looks bad again:(. Good activity yesterday with deer movement. Small bucks chasing.

25-Oct-21

Zbone's Link
"Small bucks chasing"

Yeah, big one running too... Guess the WV bruiser was road killed today:

https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=494613&messages=8&forum=4

Seems this potential state record was killed recently:

https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=494617&messages=3&forum=4

• Sitka Gear