Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
Deadendhunting 12-Sep-21
Paul@thefort 12-Sep-21
bowyer45 13-Sep-21
Deadendhunting 14-Sep-21
Bandicooter 16-Sep-21
12-Sep-21
Has anyone seen any bull moose in unit 6. We have hiked a lot of miles and still haven’t found one. Any help is appreciated. We will keep walking the drainages and hopefully get lucky one of these times.

Thanks!

12-Sep-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Following info from 2020 that may be helpful. COStickbow07-Jun-20Private Reply So after 20-years of application, CO finally decided to grant me a Bull Moose tag. I've drawn Unit 6, and I could sure use some recent intel on that Unit. Anyone have anything you might think valuable to share? I'm a stickbow shooter, and will be doing this on my own, so any info will be helpful! From: Glunt@work07-Jun-20Private Reply Congrats. Go to the Moose Visitor Center, walk across the road and pick a nice one. Just kidding (sort of). I dont spend a lot of time in 6 but that should be a great tag. I have seen them every time I have been in the State Forest and often when just driving through on 14.

The State rents yurts up there. Could make a nice base camp.

From: Beendare08-Jun-20Private Reply Heres a tip for you, Moose tag myself this year. Drive the roads and talk to the elk hunters....they won't say squat about elk......but they will open up and tell you exactly where the moose they saw were.

_____

From: cnelk08-Jun-20Private Reply You’ll have to decide if you’re gonna hunt the north end of 6 or the south end. The south end is the Colorado State Forest, Gould Mtn, N Michigan Res. Plenty of moose. Plenty of people.

North end won’t have near the people. Scout around the Pinkham Creek area

From: Quinn @work08-Jun-20Private Reply I've hunted 6 for moose before. Beendare and Cnelk have good advice. From: Jaquomo08-Jun-20Private Reply +1 on the Pinkham Creek area. From: Blade08-Jun-20Private Reply Finding moose should not be a problem. I see them almost everytime I go fishing the streams or elk hunting...from one end of the unit to the other. Just be careful you don't harvest him with your truck on the way over. Good luck. From: BOWUNTR09-Jun-20Private Reply There's this deep hell hole... nevermind. Congrats Lew. Ed F From: Jaquomo09-Jun-20Private Reply Thing is, good bulls can be anywhere. There are no "magic" spots. If you find one in August he should still be in the same general vicinity when your season starts. And what Beendare says, talk to every elk hunting camp you can find. From: JSW09-Jun-20Private Reply Go to the CPW hunting page. Click on hunting statistics. Click on moose. Then click on antler measurements. That report will tell you the drainage or area where previous moose were harvested. I've found that information to be very helpful on moose, sheep and goat. Last years report shows only one bow kill and one ML kill out of 16 tags. All others were killed with rifle. That is ideal. The year I drew my moose tag, everyone decided to bow hunt that year. It made it a little crowded. If history holds, you will only have a few bow and ML hunters to contend with.

From: cnelk09-Jun-20Private Reply ^^^ New this year - Season Choice Moose. Choose your weapon/season. You wont know who is gonna do what. From: Treeline09-Jun-20Private Reply Would bet that a lot of rifle hunters will be running out to buy muzzle loaders.... With muzzle loaders starting the same day as archery, it’s gonna be a mess.

Might have a few foot races to bull moose between bowhunters and rifle/muzzle loader hunters...

From: Quinn @work09-Jun-20Private Reply What Treeline says is real. I tried bow hunting my moose in unit 6 during rifle season and had a bull shot from 300 yards with a rifle while I was stalking it 40 yards away. Scared the @#$% out of me. 300 yards won't be the case with muzzy hunters but will be a factor with unit 6 having so many tags. Try and find a bull that's off the beaten path for opening day. Come opening morning any bull that's been somewhat visible from a road will have trucks parked on it opening day. From: COStickbow13-Jun-20Private Reply I want to thank all of you who shared your thoughts and experience with me. With y'all's help, and a bit of luck, I hope to be sharing a good story and photo of a great Bullwinkle in the Fall!

13-Sep-21
Moose are where you find them, Nowhere else!

14-Sep-21
Thanks Paul! Been learning it’s all about being at the right places at the right time.

16-Sep-21
Could have filled a moose tag my past five elk trips to Unit 500. Sad that some of those trips I saw more moose than elk. Good luck in Unit 6.

• Sitka Gear