Mark S 10-Jan-22
Riverwolf 11-Jan-22
Zbone 02-Feb-22
Pat Lefemine 03-Feb-22
goyt 03-Feb-22
goyt 03-Feb-22
Zbone 03-Feb-22
25-Sep-21
With bowseason opener today, wondering if anybody killed anything?

Was within range of 6 adult does, one button buck and one doe fawn... Thought it interesting only 2 fawns with six adults, plausibly due to coyotes... Thought about trying for the doe fawn, she was just a little thing, good eating and don't take much room in the freezer and easier handling for old fat guy like me...8^) But let her go, maybe if it was a little colder...

26-Sep-21

Old Reb's embedded Photo
Old Reb's embedded Photo
A friend's son tagged one yesterday. It was his first deer with a bow.

27-Sep-21
Congrats to him! Pretty wild looking first deer.

27-Sep-21
Yeah, cool deer, I count at least 12 points... Congrats to hunter...

27-Sep-21
Good for him !

27-Sep-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Hocking hills. Buck my buddy was watching killed by his neighbor.

27-Sep-21
Hocking hills. Buck my buddy was watching killed by his neighbor.

28-Sep-21
That Hocking buck is a dandy. Awsome brow tines !

28-Sep-21
Brute!!!

28-Sep-21
Gotta luv the hides of September Ohio deer, just out of the red before they grow long and course for winter...

29-Sep-21
Great Ohio buck!

01-Oct-21
Love those brows! Little more than three weeks before I hit the promise land.

04-Nov-21
Nice bucks!! But only 2 So far That are posted on here. Seems like not much is happening this year. For me my daughters are hunting this year.last night my 10 year Old shot a doe. First deer for her.

04-Nov-21

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Evening of November 4th...

04-Nov-21
Have no clue where that last picture came from, it's not mine...

04-Nov-21

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I'll try this again...

05-Nov-21
Congrats on your buck Zbone. Using a recurve must make it extra rewarding. My hunting time has been limited this week and I've only saw young bucks moving when I did last get to hunt on Monday.

05-Nov-21
Congrats gary nice buck love the character of the rack.... (behind the house ?)

07-Nov-21
Thanks Old Reb...

Hi Bill, long time... Maybe it was in front of the house...8^))) You know fishermen don't give up their honey hole...8^))) Don't know if you know I bought the Potato Patch a few years ago off Mitch, we just got the buck cut up, your welcome there any time... I still have access to the old farm...

07-Nov-21
Hey Gary, yeah it has been a long time.. no i had no idea you bought the patch i dont get down that way to much any more, we need to go down and light a fire and put a few away.... hey again congrats.....

08-Nov-21

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Connected with this buck on a rainy October 30th. Ironwill from my Hoyt hit right where I was aiming but he still managed to run ~900yards. I think he spun a bit just before impact and the arrow exited behind the opposite side lung.

09-Nov-21
Nice buck ! Zim Congrats!!!!!!

09-Nov-21
Nice bucks all. Nice recovery Zim, way to stay with it.

09-Nov-21
Gary Way to go! Like the longbow too! Sounds like you got a good thing going. Congrats!

09-Nov-21
Congrats Zim!

Thanks Doug... You been killing those SD bucks?

09-Nov-21
Congrats guys. Some great lookin bucks! More to come….

10-Nov-21
Thanks everyone! The recovery was an emotional roller-coaster. Given the rain at the time I ended up grid searching and eventually found him. Given he was ~900 yards from where I shot (as the crow flies), we put on a lot of mind numbing miles walking in 20 yard grids (North, South, East and West)...just grateful I was eventually able to find him

10-Nov-21
Can you offer any more information on the hit Zim? What Broadhead were you using? It doesn’t look like the bad entrance, it’s a little back but not tremendous if I’m seeing it right. Was it a straight liver hit?

10-Nov-21

Ohio buck from my Carroll County farm
Ohio buck from my Carroll County farm
I'm tagged out. 25 yard shot with the new 2022 Mathews bow. Followed a doe into my brassica plot and I hammered him - all on video.

Please note, the bow in the pic is not the bow I used. But until 11/16 I am not allowed to show the bow to anyone.

10-Nov-21
Congrats, Pat! Gotta be an awesome feeling to take it on your own farm. I hope we get to see the video sometime

10-Nov-21
Way Cool Pat, Congrats!

Looking forward to the video...

11-Nov-21
Congratulations to everyone. Pat, congratulations on what I understand to be your first buck off of your Ohio land. That has to be sweet!

11-Nov-21
Congrats to you!!!

11-Nov-21
Hey SIP, happy to share if it will help others. I was shooting the standard size Iron Will solid in 125gr weight. I switched to this head a couple years back after I shot a whitetail buck (what would have been my best to date) with a 2.5” expandable and got terrible penetration. Never did recover the deer and saw him on camera a month later. I’m shooting the same bow today, a Hoyt Carbon defiant pulling 70lbs with a 30” draw length. After I built a new arrow, adding some more weight upfront, it blows through everything with the Iron Will. On the general forums I shared a video of me heart shooting a cow elk on a quartering away shot which broke her offside leg…. cutting and penetration are not an issue. I use the same arrow for everything now (including whitetails) given my horror story with the aforementioned whitetail buck.

In the picture I posted below you can see I made a good hit on the side facing me, however it exited much further back. As best I can estimate he was a little more quartered toward me than I realized when I shot and the arrow got one lung and liver. If I had only hit the one lung I suspect I may not have recovered him. I chock this experience up to the angle, in hindsight I likely should have favored that front side shoulder a little more to try and get the offside lung.

I’m sure guys will blow me up for not shooting a larger cutting diameter head but given the accuracy and penetration I get with these Iron Will solids I won’t be changing my setup. If it kills elk, it will kill whitetails. I took another whitetail in 2018 with the same setup and the arrow passed through him so quickly I initially thought I missed, the penetration and cutting force with this broadhead is incredible. That particular buck made it a little over a hundred yards before tipping over.

11-Nov-21

JW's embedded Photo
JW's embedded Photo
My central Ohio buck from 11/6. Have history with this buck since 2016. Only seen him twice in person. He’s either 7 or 8 years old. Mainframe 6x6, 14 scoreable points.

11-Nov-21

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Wouldn’t let me add a pic to my prior post showing my shot placement so trying it here

11-Nov-21
Wow Zim. Its hard to fathom that not being perfect entrance, but as u said, the angle reigns supreme. Its tough in the heat of the moment to see everything exactly as it is(at least for me) and u never know what kind of movement they are going to make after the release. I agree that the liver was ur saving grace. Incredibly tough animals. Congrats again and thanks for sharing.

11-Nov-21

SIP's embedded Photo
SIP's embedded Photo
Didnt have much luck on public ground in southern ohio. Between us not having the amount of time we envisioned having, not finding much sign at our pins we dropped from escouting, the landscape really just looking/seeming to be much earlier than early november and having a group of guys come into the block we were hunting, our first trip felt like a dud. We certainly didnt have the illusion of being overrun by bomber after bomber, but sure woulda been nice to see ANY buck cruising at ANY point in time during our time there.

But that wasnt the case, so with only one day left we resorted to calling up our contact an hour n half north that had invited us up to hunt with him on private a few times. We drug our feet as the goal was a public land buck…but it didnt seem likely to achieve that with no deer being seen and a group of 3-5 guys now hunting the same public block as us and only one day left. So north we went….

I hunted a sweet looking little area, an open patch of woods amongst several thicker patches of bedding cover. Saw several does and fawns, had a nice buck run a doe right under me but without brows he was a 6 point so i gladly just watched him. At 11:50, i had a buck cruise in from behind me and at first thought he was an 8 and not a shooter for me. But after watchin him a bit and really looking him over, i started to change my tune on that thought and then noticed he had 10 pts. A few grunts and snortwheezes and he finally decided to come give it a look. Heart shot at just over 20 yards and he went down quick.

Not how i envisioned our hunt going, but we went home with a deer that we were proud to take home on our first trip to the buckeye state.

Good luck to everybody the rest of the season!

12-Nov-21
Nice work, Sip! Anytime you can make a heart shot that's awesome. Nice looking buck too

15-Nov-21
Nice bucks!

15-Nov-21
Congrats to all! Great pictures too. Cant show my bow? Hilarious. I get it. Gary no bow kills here so far. Hitting Wyoming this week. Then S.D. in Dec. Got skunked on elk so far.

15-Nov-21
Best of luck Doug...

16-Nov-21

Stressless's embedded Photo
Story from my core Buck "Dutton" I shot 28 Oct.

I get ready and head to the stand about 1530 as I want the falling thermals to just about start and went back to Swamp, got in and setup - oh and I went to the big field door and scored another dozen milkweed pods - started tossing milkweed and winds were hinky, like breathing back and forth so instead of waiting for them to settle - which I wasn't sure they would, I bailed and went to the North side of the creek (South facing slope) where they were still rising and got setup. Beautiful stand, Beech Stand - I hauled a chainsaw up in Sep and cut a 6" limb out and moved the stand to be correct for the movement I thought would happen in the plot.

Thermals and wind were working perfectly for hunting in the bottom. Witching hour hit and the only deer I saw that hunt was a large buck, he stepped out at the bottom left of the plot - shooter - popped into mine, but that was about 65 yrds.

He started meandering up the plot - pawing the ground and making a lil scrape every 20' or so and grab a couple mouthfuls of plot salad, I took a chance and pulled the phone for a quick snap as he didn't appear to be in a hurry.

He hit the licking branch at 30 yds - but looked like he was just gonna keep heading up the plot - and it was a quartering to shot - which is a no-go for me. Bow in hand and hooked up, he continued up Bottom Plot, stopped and looked back at the licking branch= I drew back, he started back up the plot and passed the 20 yd mark I had ranged.

To "Baaaa" or not to "Baaaa" that is the question - kinda screaming in my mind as he got parallel with me. good form, good sight picture, 20 yrd pin right where it needed to me, watching him walk and he took that front foreleg out for another step - release. Saw the arrow hit true and thru and thru.

My first thought was That's a dead deer running. Second was that's the first deer I shot walking - arrow was buried in the ground on the far side of him at 18 yards.

I heard him run in the dry leaves for about 2 seconds - he ran outa sight and stopped, 5-6 seconds later - seemed like a week passed - I hear a step - then crash. Rain was about 30-45 mins out so I made the call to trail after only about 5-10 mins just in case - I dint think there was any doubt... and there wasn't// ran about 40 yrds and stopped in a thicket... died right there.

16-Nov-21

-

16-Nov-21

-

16-Nov-21

151 4/8 Green gross.

16-Nov-21
Damn nice buck! and superb photo - love it! Congratulations!!

16-Nov-21
Great deer and story to go with it!

20-Nov-21
Good story, awesome buck and an even better picture setting. Nice work!

21-Nov-21

Youth got a slammer less than a mile from my farm

22-Nov-21
Congrats to the young fellow.

24-Nov-21
Wow, congrats to the young man!! Going to be hard to beat that. Good sign for your genetics Pat.

25-Nov-21

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
This buck was shot in the area of my property in Ohio.

25-Nov-21
The hunter, who is also an outfitter, thinks that it will go in the 190s.

26-Nov-21
Hmmmm, that's a pretty buck Cliff, but for some reason Ohio and "outfitter", just don't belong....

27-Nov-21
Gary, I am also surprised at the number of outfitters in Ohio.

27-Nov-21
Saved it for himself!

30-Nov-21
Hunts_with_stick, I think you called it right. The guy controls about 6,000 acres and only takes about 17-19 hunters over all of Ohio's 4+months of deer seasons. He only charges $2,800 for a 5 day hunt. I think that he is just trying to recover some of his costs and takes a loss every year so that he can hunt 180+ bucks. He wants his hunters to shoot 4 1/2 + year old bucks. Last I talked to him he was 6 for 9 with 2 bucks taken that would gross over 170. He showed me a picture of a 150+ buck with an arrow in it neck that one of the 3 other hunters had shot. He said that the buck got the arrow out and he closed down that area so that the buck could recover w/o being disturbed. He tries to protect bucks that have the potential to grow to make B&C. Even if they take 15 bucks a year that is only one buck per 400 acres which is definitely substanable. I don'tpay much attention to outfitters but I think that his success rate and the size of the bucks is pretty good for a midwest outfitter.

01-Dec-21
6,000 acres... Hmmmm, nah wouldn't be greed...

03-Dec-21

Bucknuts's embedded Photo
Bucknuts's embedded Photo
Had a good Day On Public land Monday. got a doe in the morning. Then at noon a buck and A Doe came by browsing on greens.

03-Dec-21
Forgot to tell that there were hunters every where. 7 Trucks were parked on the same parking space.

09-Jan-22

Riverwolf's embedded Photo
Riverwolf's embedded Photo
Nice doe I was gifted on first day of my 2021-2022 season. Still on the hunt for a buck......Grateful of the gifts.

For those that like the info... 50# Montana Longbow "Rose" Easton 2018...Bear SS Razor Razorhead total arrow weight 595gr

She went maybe 25 yrds.

09-Jan-22
Ralph, nice shot! I really miss hunting with a longbow. Good luck with getting your buck.

10-Jan-22
Thanks Pat.....You should heed the call my friend ;)

10-Jan-22
Great pic and love the equipment. Great job!

11-Jan-22
Thanks Mark ;)

02-Feb-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Except for a doe skull I boiled with a Snuffer sticking in it, have never posted a mount or skull, but thought I'd share how good this guy did...

Hey Cliff, you remember a few years ago we were discussing who had beetles in the region? Those beetles guys don't seem to do it for long and are hard to come by in my area... Have had a couple different places do skulls for me, while both cleaned the skulls okay, but they also cleaned the antlers discoloring them from their natural colors... One seemed to clean the antlers with maybe a Scotch pad, but don't really know but it whitened them a good bit...

I found this young man close to home, matter of fact just a few miles from my workplace... He did a great job, left all the natural antler colors so thought I'd share... He is a nice young man with a young family, and if anybody interested in his work, feel free to PM me... He's working on a website, but I have his contact info if interested...

03-Feb-22
I’d be interested. What town is he in?

03-Feb-22

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
Gary, that looks great. You and I discussed how to clean the skull on a pair of locked bucks. I found a guy in Conesville with beetles that cleaned them for me. They came out great but did lighten the antlers a little. Here is a picture.

03-Feb-22

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
Gary, the same guy did a sheep for me and the color was almost completely gone. He worked with a local taxidermist to color them. I then put a coat of horn oil on them. I think that they look great. He did not charge me for recoloring them.

I cleaned a skull myself last season. I put a clear, plastic bag over each antler. Once I had the skull cleaned I put the skull with the plastic bags still over the antlers on concrete in the sun for a few hot sunny days. That lightened the skull and the antlers stayed dark. The guy in Conesville said that he would cover the antlers with plastic bags if I would like him to. My guy is really slow and I would be interested in trying someone new.

03-Feb-22
Yeah Cliff about the guy in Conesville... Didn't know you killed a Bighorn, way cool, nice ram, CONGRATS!

Pat, Cliff and others - My new guy is located a couple miles or so just east of Canton-Akron Airport, near Boettler Park easily accessible off I77 probably around 10 minutes off I77 exits... He has a North Canton address, if you need it message me, but youenz can get his contact info off his future web address: beetlesandbones.com

Degreasing & Whitening

He not really a taxidermist, and seems to just work out of his garage only doing skulls, maybe tan hides I think is how he got started, charged me $125... Nice guy...

• Sitka Gear