pronghorn21 15-Nov-21
OldFart 15-Nov-21
2xLung 15-Nov-21
pronghorn21 15-Nov-21
Quinn @work 15-Nov-21
Jaquomo 16-Nov-21
pronghorn21 18-Nov-21
27-Sep-21
A lifelong family friend of mine has brain cancer and is getting operated on Friday and then radiation. He's determined to get out 3rd rifle buck hunting which may be his last season ever, sadly. His daughter will be doe hunting and this is her first year of hunting. They have 11/211 tags. He's not sure what kind of condition he will be in with surgery and then radiation. I thought maybe someone on here would know someone in 11/211 that would let him and his daughter on private land for free. Looking for an easy truck hunt where they would mostly hang out in the truck looking over a hay field of sage field and be able to get out if they spotted a buck or doe to shoot at. Anyone know anyone in those units who would be able to help? Thanks

27-Sep-21
Not looking for a trophy buck. Spike will do. He mainly wants to see his daughter get a big game animal.

28-Sep-21
What does his doctor think of this plan? He should ask. I wish him the best.

28-Sep-21
That's a good question Paul. 5 weeks after brain surgery and radiation is when 3rd rifle is. You'd think that isn't enough time but I sense the sense of urgency with him and understandably so as this may be his 1 and only time hunting with his daughter.

28-Sep-21
Prayers for your friend! Hopefully someone will step up! I wish i had land!

28-Sep-21
My mom had brain surgery at the end of May and then 33 radiation sessions that started at the end of July. Based on my mom's experience, the hunt you describe should be realistic assuming he does not have any surgical complications. However he should keep his physical expectations within reason and have some other folks to help out with the grunt of the work. I pray his surgery and recovery go well and he's able to complete the hunt. Keep us updated.

28-Sep-21
No help with those units. But you might start calling landowners you find on OnX tell them what you posted on here. I'd bet you would find a willing landowner. Good lucking find them a place. Lets hope the surgery and treatment works!

28-Sep-21
I wopuld contact the local Game Warden for those units and see if he could possibly help you with this.

28-Sep-21
Thanks John and Rock for your suggestions. I was on onX last night looking at some addresses. I will be up there 1st rifle elk hunting so I will knock on a few doors if we haven't figured out something between now and then.

29-Sep-21
Contact Mathews Man. Scott Meszaros. He may have some contacts over there. He is up in Alaska now but was over there for a number of years

30-Sep-21
Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot Scott had lived in Meeker.

30-Sep-21
If his daughter is just after a Doe, it shouldn't be that hard to find them in 11. Most in the northern end of the unit barely ever get out of their cars. If you want I can PM you some locations/roads you could cruise and I can almost guarantee you'd see some does.

01-Oct-21
Surgery today. All prayers appreciated.

01-Oct-21
Prayers sent up for a complete recover.

15-Nov-21

pronghorn21's embedded Photo

15-Nov-21

15-Nov-21

15-Nov-21
Prayer sent for your friend! Good Luck on finding a place to hunt!

15-Nov-21
Great ending to this story! Thanks for the pics!!

15-Nov-21
I think the picture with the 2 of them should be the front of the big game brochore next year

15-Nov-21
This is awesome! So glad to see that photo and hope he’s got a good prognosis.

16-Nov-21
That's great! More on the story? Prognosis? Did anyone help with a place to hunt?

18-Nov-21
Someone sent me some general information. So the story. I got up to a spot I hunted 10 years ago the day before 3rd rifle. It was crawling with deer. I gave my friend 3 coordinates on places to sit in that small area. His daughter missed 3 doe with her gun before using her Dad's 270 Winchester short mag to down the 4th doe. Pretty big gun for a 12 year old. In between misses her Dad shot the buck. I'll be sitting in that spot next year with my son who hasn't connected on anything this year so far.

• Sitka Gear