babysaph 19-Oct-21
Little Bear 20-Oct-21
Old Reb 20-Oct-21
Ron Miller 22-Oct-21
woodstick 23-Oct-21
Ron Miller 25-Oct-21
WV Mountaineer 26-Oct-21
19-Oct-21
I asked this question in the bear hunting thread that was previously posted but no one must be reading it anymore. My question was what is the preferred method for archery hunting bear in W.Va? Since baiting is not allowed do you hunt food sources? Set up on bear trails? I've hunted bears over bait in Canada and with hounds in Maine. I know hounds are legal in W.Va but what is the preferred method when bow hunting for bear?

19-Oct-21
Pretty much get lucky lol. No one comes here anymore. They are all over on FB where all the women are texting their recipes. Truth is I would say most bears are bow killed over bait. Or very near bait.

19-Oct-21
Ok thanks. So it sounds like it would be pretty tough to come down from Ohio and kill a bear. I have relatives in Raleigh Co. My dad was from Beckley.

19-Oct-21
It is tough. Like me going to Ohio ams killing a big buck. I’m from Berkeley county. Live in Jefferson.

19-Oct-21
It is tough. Like me going to Ohio ams killing a big buck. I’m from Berkeley county. Live in Jefferson.

19-Oct-21
Well hopefully some who are on here will tell you some of the WMA areas and counties that have a large population of bear. I have heard some say you have a good chance of seeing some bear in their areas if you do your homework. I think it’s the southern counties and even around Charleston area but not really for sure. Good Luck!!

19-Oct-21
Thanks for the replies. Maybe it is something that I will add to my bucket list. Are non resident bear tags OTC? Does your DNR have names of landowners who are having nuisance bear issues? I guess there will be a lot of home work to do.

19-Oct-21
Not sure on any of that but some here should no. Ask for Ron Miller. He can tell you all about it.

20-Oct-21
Raleigh county has a good population, if you still have access to property there. Tags are most definitely OTC. We have a 2 bear limit as long as 1 comes from certain counties. Yes, focus on food sources. If I were in your shoes, I would put a call in to WV DNR and ask to speak to one of the Bear biologist and see if they can provide information on locations to key on. They should also know landowners who are filing damage complaints and may have permission to release that information. Good luck!

20-Oct-21
Thanks Little Bear. Unfortunately my aunt and uncle who still live on the out skirts of Beckley don't own any hunting land. It would be great if they did. I will follow your recommendation of pursuing info through the DNR. Thanks again.

22-Oct-21
There are tons of bear in Southern WV, Kanawha, Boone, Fayette and Raleigh Counties, the Lake Stephens WMA would be a Great Place to start, lots of places to hunt, just do some homework, It's tough without bait, which is Illegal, and without dogs it's tough, but it Can Be Done !! Call the DNR Biologist in 1 of these Counties, bear are pretty much hated by the deer hunters in the State ! Good Luck

23-Oct-21
Plenty of bears around lake Stephen's, but theres no WMA or public hunting there. It belongs to Raleigh county, they don't even allow waterfowl hunting. Plum Orchard lake WMA should hold a few bears.

25-Oct-21
Thanks Good to know, Appreciate it

26-Oct-21
Find the food. You’ll find the bears.

• Sitka Gear