Trebarker 12-Nov-21
crestedbutte 12-Nov-21
21-Oct-21

Trebarker's embedded Photo
Only fawn seen all summer
Only fawn seen all summer
Oldest buck captured on camera so far this year, 3yr old, maybe 4 yr old 8pt. All the rest have been dinks, spikes and fork horns.
Oldest buck captured on camera so far this year, 3yr old, maybe 4 yr old 8pt. All the rest have been dinks, spikes and fork horns.
This year's hunt is going to be a lot different than it has been in past seasons. I have had some things change in the past year that weren't planned nor expected. I have changed jobs and have started up my own business after "corporate downsizing" ended my previous one. I will only hunt on the weekends and when I can get away during the week with holiday days off this year.

I have ran the trail cameras non-stop since last season at my main hunting spot after last season ended. I have not been motivated by the pictures they have captured to say the least. I had anywhere from 12-20 does around me last fall. I killed the oldest one in the late season. There has only been one fawn seen in the trail photos all summer, I have not seen others when scouting there in person. I have not been seeing deer regularly in my drives to work, nothing recently after the corn was harvested either.

The main field is planted in beans again this year. It should be harvested this week or next weather permitting. I plan on going in for at least one hunt this weekend, will be looking for rut sign and checking/moving the cameras if the scrapes and licking branches are active.

I have four other options I may try this fall if #1 fails to provide action. Three of those are acreages I have hunted in the past, the fourth was offered to me last weekend. The landowner was complaining about 20 deer eating in his bean field that morning. I told him they needed to be hunted and pressured by human presence to stop that. He asked me to come help him with that, AFTER the two guys currently hunting there are out of there. He told me they were running cameras and putting out failure piles of corn........... I gave him my card and asked him to call me when the tv trained hunters were out of there. I told him I would buy an extra antlerless tag to help him thin them out and would use my buck tag there too in the late season if I didn't fill it during the rut. It is a very nice remote property, with little to no pressure from neighboring properties.

21-Oct-21
Excited to follow along, Randy!

21-Oct-21
Sounds like some good things are lining up for you. Don’t put all your stock in those trail cam pics, or lack of them, we’ve all been surprised many times when the deer “show up”. Thanks for posting again this year!

21-Oct-21
Good luck

21-Oct-21
I'm hoping a big boy shows up at the right time buddy, will be watching!

21-Oct-21
Thank you for taking us along...good luck.

21-Oct-21
Will be following along as usual. Enjoy what time you can, and good luck. Hope your new business does well for you.

22-Oct-21

Sampling of the pictures month by month since last Dec

22-Oct-21

Month to Month Cont.

22-Oct-21

Noticed I skipped the Jan picture, here is one
Noticed I skipped the Jan picture, here is one
A little sparring action on the 18th
A little sparring action on the 18th
Month to month cont. I will add the Oct picture this weekend after checking the cameras. I went to get legal yesterday, haven't even bought tags yet because I was seriously considering not hunting this season, the KDWP computers were down so will have to try again today.

23-Oct-21
KDWP computers back on-line today, so am legal to hunt, fish, and tag a deer again. As usual, had to explain why I would not consider buying a every season tag. I was not surprised when the clerk tried to talk me out of the archery only tag, they have since the easy button tag has been offered. She told me that unless I planned on killing a Western Ks mulie that I really should consider the any season tag option to be able to hunt all season long. I told the clerk I preferred deer hunting to be a challenge, that I enjoyed my time in the woods, seeing the deer's habits and daily patterns, trying to fool their senses, that I simply was not out to fill a tag. I told her that I did not enjoy going out and sniping a deer with a rifle from a hundred or more yards out when they did not know that I was around. She then suggested I should buy up to 5 additional antlerless tags to help with "the over population" of deer in the area. I told her I didn't know where they had gotten their population data from, but it sure wasn't from the area I lived/hunted in. I declined her offer of additional antlerless tags telling her that if I saw enough deer to warrant the taking of does that I would be back to buy them later, one or two, but definitely not 5.

The weather folks say rain is likely, possible heavy storms tomorrow, in the evening and overnight. I decided to go in after work to check my cameras ahead of the predicted rain in case I do not get to go hunt tomorrow as planned. There were 50+ pictures on each camera. I saw some fresh rubs, but did not find any active scrapes. All four cameras showed bucks following does in the last 4-5 days, showing aggression towards other bucks. There were also pictures of turkey, coons, possums, and a few pictures of coyotes chasing the deer around.

23-Oct-21

Old soldier, first appearance on the cams in 2021
Old soldier, first appearance on the cams in 2021
On the hunt
On the hunt
Posturing mid month
Posturing mid month
More of the stand off
More of the stand off

23-Oct-21

Turkey, which have been absent from the pictures since May-June
Turkey, which have been absent from the pictures since May-June
Mature body but lacking in the head hardware
Mature body but lacking in the head hardware
Toothpick 8pt
Toothpick 8pt
Thursday night NT pass through
Thursday night NT pass through

23-Oct-21
I'm still living in the UK, but moved from Scotland to England. No hunting for me this year, but I may be able to go for Red Stag next year. Bad news is it's rifle only, for some strange reason they consider archery hunting barbaric here... Hunt on guys because I'm along for the ride! John

23-Oct-21
jkirkus... I’ve hunted Poland twice now. Red stag. I love whitetail hunting, but stags during rykowisko is like nothing else. I’m guessing it’s like hunting elk during their rut, but the roar still seems chills up my spine when I think about it.

I’ve never understood the no-archery, but I believe it’s the “greenies” that are behind the ban. A lot of folks over there shoot bows... The desire is there, but politics.

23-Oct-21
Nice to see you are still with us John, hope the move went well.

23-Oct-21
Storm moved thru early this morning as predicted, not ruling out an afternoon hunt yet. More storm and rain activity tonight they say, will see this afternoon what happens.

23-Oct-21
3:30pm, it is overcast, 68f with 7-12 mph ESE winds. There had been much more rain here than what I had at home, water is running off the field into the slough, walking in was muddy even in the grassy areas. I am sitting in my South stand hoping the wind stays out of the East to carry my scent across the creek. I am directly above the camera that caught the old soldier buck shown above. The beans did not get cut before the rain, they will be in here for another 2 weeks minimum providing no more rain falls. Am wishing I had packed the thermocell, skeeters are still out here.

23-Oct-21

Water standing along the bean field edge from over night rain

23-Oct-21
5:30- Nothing moving yet. Have only seen a couple hawks flying around the field, only other birds have been a couple woodpeckers, and one blue jay I heard NW of me. This timber used to be swarming with songbirds, wrens, cardinals, robins, chickadees etc. I have not heard nor seen any squirrels either, they are typically very busy gathering and storing nuts this time of year. In the past, they have kept me entertained while waiting on the deer to wake and start moving around.

23-Oct-21
6:03- Several does and what looks like a fork horn in the beans 100yds North of me, they came out of an oak grove

23-Oct-21
6:22- Four does headed NE thru the beans, are along the north property line now. The little buck went along the tree line headed North East as well it appears.

23-Oct-21
6:38- Two more large body deer ran along North edge five minutes ago. Two does and the little fawn just walked past me 20yds out in the field. They went SE, crossed the road continuing that direction. Sun has set and it’s getting dark; not a bad first outing of the year.

23-Oct-21
7:09- Back at the truck. Had a deer blow at me as I exited the timber, never saw it. Then halfway back to the truck, I saw a buck out in the middle of the main field. When I stopped walking, he spun and ran to the North. You could hear the bean pods shattering as he crossed the rows running away from me. I will add some pictures a little later. Was good to be out in the woods again.

23-Oct-21
It does a person good to get out to the woods. Sounds like your 1st outing this year was definitely a good one. Hope you can get many more in.

23-Oct-21
Saw three deer in the ditch along the road 1 mile West of the field, and one real nice buck crossed the road in front of in the second mile. They were really moving tonight at dusk.

23-Oct-21

Only fawn of this summer
Only fawn of this summer
Will be able to see them much better with my camera instead of the phone and after the waist high beans are harvested
Will be able to see them much better with my camera instead of the phone and after the waist high beans are harvested

23-Oct-21
Yep good hunt. Last week I realized too that I wasn’t seeing squirrels up there which I thought was a little odd.

23-Oct-21
The squirrels are in the red oaks, in my AO. I’ve been after them quite a bit lately. The red oaks are having a mast year, and the squirrels are in there thick. I’ve shot several limits lately.

23-Oct-21
In years past, I would have had a dozen or so checking me out. Something is happening to them and the birds.

23-Oct-21
Not in my area. I can always count on lots of squirrels to hunt.

24-Oct-21
No shortage of squirrels where I’m at. Lots of oaks along a river running through southern flint hills pasture.

25-Oct-21
Randy: I have noticed the same thing about squirrels this year. I have been out at least a dozen times and could probably count the squirrels I have seen on one hand.

25-Oct-21
There are more fawns this year than I have ever seen before,guess maybe removing some predators would probably help instead of depending only on habitat.Heck a boar coon can kill a fawn.But then again I have about the best habitat and predator control I can do and furbearer season starts soon.

26-Oct-21
Moving before the storm or is the rut firing off early?

Multiple deer hit by cars today in my area, two in the last 30 minutes East of Emporia.

27-Oct-21
This is the time that prerut should be starting and starts every year,Halloween is always good if temps are right and Nov 7th has probably more bucks killed on it than any day.Still like thanksgiving week time frame for mature bucks

30-Oct-21
Hunt#2- It's 67f, with a 7mph wind out of the SW, more rain this last week, the walk in will be a muddy mess I'm sure. I won't do like the paying hunters I just saw while driving home, ride my side by side 1/4 mile from the truck to get close to my stand to avoid the effort of walking that far, never mind they could have walked the pavement where they drove it.

Headed out here in a bit, going to hunt from the North stand this evening. They say the wind will be out of the NE stand tomorrow, so will hunt from the NW timber stand then. Last week the phone signal was weak, so if I run into that again today, I will post once back home.

30-Oct-21
3:00- Was 70f when I arrived. The paying hunters had left their over priced “hunting ground” along the busy road by the time I came back by. Was muddy walking in as I expected after 2” of rain here in the last five days. Saw lots of tracks in the mud on the path I came in on, flushed a 20+ bird covey of quail, found two well used crossings thru the hedgerow, and saw one licking branch with the start of a scrape under it. Was 3:15 by the time I settled into my stand and got geared up.

30-Oct-21
Good luck.

30-Oct-21
Thanks, going to need it, the neighbor has decided to mow his pond area 50yds from me with his zero turn lawnmower

30-Oct-21
Standing beans ought to be good. I've been seeing more deer on dry, cut soybeans lately than what's left of the late crop, green soybeans.

30-Oct-21
4:00- Again noticing a lack of songbirds and squirrels, have seen and heard a woodpecker, crows are cawing South of me. The mowing ended a short time after my post about it. About five minutes ago had what I thought was a big fly buzzing around my left ear, swatted at it, turned out to be a bee or a wasp, it stung me on the neck.

30-Oct-21

30-Oct-21
Wasps are getting their last hurrah in… Nice to hear about the quail. Good luck this evening!

30-Oct-21
It was a yellow jacket, have had two more of them try to light on me since.

I heard a robin in the woods North of me! Only other thing happening was a miniature yellow helicopter flew overhead above me. He came from the SW, circled around right above me, then headed South I assume to the airport. Who has that Chief?

30-Oct-21
6:00- Three deer just came out of the timber down by the stand I hunted last weekend. They are headed North towards me

30-Oct-21
7:23- Just back at the truck. The three deer mentioned previously evidently crossed the creek to the West, never saw them again after the last post. It got real still at dark, never heard anything beyond one coyote howl off in the distance. Not a stellar afternoon at all, but that’s hunting.

30-Oct-21

Does I saw tonight as they came out of the timber
Does I saw tonight as they came out of the timber
First doe joined by the second doe
First doe joined by the second doe
The lone fawn
The lone fawn
Somebody else's picture once again
Somebody else's picture once again
Last picture is obviously someone else's picture, happens every year

31-Oct-21
PM sent Randy.

31-Oct-21
Following along closely, Randy! :)

31-Oct-21
Lots moving this morning

31-Oct-21
Headed out a little later, didn’t make it out this morning. A tad cooler today, 50’s with a strong Northern breeze. On the way home last night, saw a nice buck out on the prowl 1/4 to 1/2 mile from any cover. Know they are seeking, cannot miss out on that.

31-Oct-21
Hunt#3- It was 57f at the truck when I arrived at the field, there is wind out of the NW blowing anywhere from 5-20+ at times. I considered hunting from the same stand as last night until the wind kicked up above that 20 mph peak, decided I had better get back into the timber to not have my scent blowing around out in the field.

Once to my NW stand, I’m kind of regretting that decision, well established trails in the past have been abandoned and are overgrown. There is one trail about 25yds out in front of me but it has a narrow shooting window for it. It doesn’t appear the deer use the funnel behind me like they have done in the past. I have killed many deer from this setup, but it doesn’t look very promising this season. Too late in the day to switch stands again, we’ll see what happens.

Found another licking branch on my way in, two scrapes near it as well.

31-Oct-21
4:55- Can see deer moving around North of me West of the main bedding area. Can hear turkeys putting and purring straight North of me as well. I heard a squirrel scolding something across the creek SW of me. Sun set is 6:26 this evening, hope things pick up tonight

31-Oct-21
6:30- Doe and the lone fawn just came from the East in the main field walking about 30yds out in front of my other stand. They would have nailed my scent had I sat over there.

Coyotes howling all around me

31-Oct-21
Good luck buddy, watching from Vegas

31-Oct-21
7:01- Back at the truck, scared a deer off to the North as I walked out, large bodied deer but could not see well enough to recognize what it was, only saw the flag saying so long! Will load a couple pictures later if they are any good, was pretty dim light when I took them.

31-Oct-21

First doe seen
First doe seen
She is a good sized 3yr old or older
She is a good sized 3yr old or older
Doe and fawn
Doe and fawn
About got the fawn driving home, she was standing in the road along the South side of the property with her back to me as I approached with my brights on. I slowed down as I neared her, could tell she was blinded by the light, at the last second she spun and ran North across the road in front of me back into my field.

01-Nov-21
Just getting to the good time Randy. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

03-Nov-21
Hunt#4- Got off work and got to my stand by 5:30. It is overcast, 50f, with very little wind. Going to try to be here whenever I get off in time before the redundant time change this weekend. It’s time for the big boys to be out strolling, is hard to stay focused at work knowing what is being missed out here.

03-Nov-21
5:54- Doe just entered the field West of me, spun and started blowing up a storm. There is no way she smelled me, what wind there is, is out of the South. She did not see me move as I watched her approach. She was looking NW while alarming then ran West crossing the creek channel.

03-Nov-21
6:15- Two fork horn bucks just entered the field West of me from the NW bedding area, headed towards the creek crossing used by the doe. Another deer is blowing back in the bedding area

03-Nov-21
6:20- Doe just ran South thru the timber along the creek

03-Nov-21
6:35- Two little bucks are fighting SW of me, are getting after it pretty good. Just have my phone and getting pretty dim, didn’t even try to video it

03-Nov-21
7:11- Back to the truck. The two dinks sparred right up to oh dark thirty. About 6:40, a deer blew 20 yards just NW of me, but it was not alerting on me. A little later the buck stepped out 30 yards straight West of me and began browsing on the beans. I had to watch and admire him, it was too dark to shoot. He kept me in the tree longer than I wanted. When he headed West, I lit out of there.

Will try it again tomorrow if I get off on time. It’s just starting to get good

03-Nov-21
Glad to here you might get out an evening or two before the time change. Does a body good. Sounds like movement is picking up in different areas. Good luck.

03-Nov-21

This is the buck that stood broadside at 30yds eating beans tonight. He just recently started showing up. He has some nice mass on his left side, his right side leaves a lot to be desired. I want to see him in person in good light to judge his width, age etc. I think he is young, but would have shot likely if he had come out sooner.

03-Nov-21
That's a cool buck, hope you see him tomorrow buddy!

04-Nov-21
Nice buck.

Thanks for the updates.

04-Nov-21
Hunt#5- Off work a few minutes later, back in the tree at 5:39 tonight. Same stand as last night and probably thru the entire weekend with South winds predicted. Again it is overcast, low 50’s, wind 5-15 out of the SSE. Both scrapes along the hedgerow have been worked since I was in here last, sunset will be at 6:22, so legal until 6:52

04-Nov-21
Good luck buddy!

04-Nov-21
6:11- Doe being chased thru the timber North of me

04-Nov-21
6:25- Have seen does being chased all around me but they are staying back in the timber. Have not seen a buck yet, just the does.

04-Nov-21
6:34- Tall 8pt just crossed the little field, worked a scrape and licking branch, is working his way around the edge possibly coming around my way. Should have a trail cam picture of him, he stood right in front of it. Grunted at him, he did not respond. Is getting dark quick

04-Nov-21
7:09- Back the truck. Never saw the buck again after he walked along the South edge of the little field. I pushed a large bodied deer out of the main field on my walk out. It didn’t blow, snorted and spun around running thru the hedgerow so I suspect it was a buck. Will try again tomorrow, last weekday afternoon hunt likely for me. If my pictures turn out, will post a couple later.

04-Nov-21

Crab claws make him a 10pt
Crab claws make him a 10pt
Working a scrape
Working a scrape
Young nice 10pt
Young nice 10pt
Seems the eyesight isn't what it used to be, was a different buck than what I thought he was.

04-Nov-21
Good luck, sir! Love how your trailcams are always in the same spots. I feel like I know the property without ever setting foot there.

04-Nov-21
Yeah, I know how that is with the eyes,lol. Good to see you’re seeing activity.

04-Nov-21
LTG, have left the trail cams pretty much in the same spot on purpose, to document an entire year. One camera has been there for multiple years, replaced several times, because that is where the deer enter or exit the property. They are all placed on the most used trails. The land is a feed source, and a travel route, they do not stay there nor bed there. It is a very challenging place to hunt, to say the least.

05-Nov-21
Hunt#6- Made it to the stand by 5:31 tonight. It’s 59f, sunny skies, with a 10-15mph SSW wind. Sunset tonight is 6:21, go time.

05-Nov-21
5:54- Doe in the NW corner of the little field, came out of the NW bedding area

05-Nov-21
6:04- A deer, could not see it well, just walked into the timber in the SW corner of the LF, may or may not have been the same one. I took a couple pictures of it, will know when I download them what it was.

05-Nov-21
6:11- Small young buck working over the licking branch and scrape along the field edge in the middle of the LF

05-Nov-21
6:19- Buck continued working the scrape since last post, he just headed West across the creek crossing. Took a few pictures, but with the weeds from the flooding this summer, doubt they show much

05-Nov-21
7:11- Back at the truck. Nothing else moved after the little buck walked off. Saw nothing on my walk out. The does that are normally in this area are simply not there this season.

Will be in the woods as much as possible this weekend unless they show up to combine the beans. They need cut but I selfishly hope they wait until Monday or Tuesday so I can hunt. Pictures a little later

05-Nov-21

Still have no idea what the deer in the SW corner was based on this picture
Still have no idea what the deer in the SW corner was based on this picture
Nor in this one
Nor in this one
Third time is the charm, it was the little doe that was first spotted in the NW corner of the LF
Third time is the charm, it was the little doe that was first spotted in the NW corner of the LF
Young buck at the licking branch
Young buck at the licking branch

05-Nov-21

He will be nice one day
He will be nice one day
Digging in the scrape
Digging in the scrape
If he survives a couple more seasons, he should be real nice
If he survives a couple more seasons, he should be real nice
Headed to the creek crossing
Headed to the creek crossing

06-Nov-21
Hunt #7- It's around 40f, with a slight wind of 6mph out of the SSW. The sun is predicted to rise at 7:58, sunset at 6:21pm tonight after a high of 67f. Going to spend most of the day hunting, although it won't be all day.

From the pictures and what I have reported seeing in these threads, one might think it would be a good idea to move closer to the scrapes. All the bucks have went to them to scent checking and adding their own. I have deer hunted this property for the last 40+ years, experience tells me that is the last thing I should do. Any changes noticed by the deer, broke limbs, mashed down weeds, my scent found anywhere close around them consistently, they change their patterns or go elsewhere. They are amazing creatures. I do not care how careful you are about your scents, how stealthy you think you are entering or leaving any property, the deer see you and smell you. Far too many times I have "snuck" into a stand well be before daylight, then watched the deer purposely give where I am sitting a wide berth, all the while staring me down as they walk around me. They also have a habit of going by the stands that I am not sitting in, or showing up downwind of me even though they NEVER walk thru that section of the timber on any other day. The does know you are there, no matter how careful we try to be.

06-Nov-21
Morning did not go as planned, arrived here much later than intended. Was stopped by a neighbor to the property along the road that wanted to hear how my hunt was going. He had been seeing does behind his house, but told me recently they had stopped coming around. He normally puts out feeders closer to firearms season, but told me he had none out now. As I was gathering my gear up the truck, another neighbor stopped to chat, we both watched three does cross the bean field from the SE corner crossing thru the hedgerow headed NW. it was 7:30 before I got settled into the tree. Have seen cardinals, and a few chickadees this morning, two large owls flew overhead, a small hawk and some crows are cawing nearby.

Buck just walked out into the LF to eat at 7:53

06-Nov-21
8:04- The young 10pt wasn’t there to eat, he followed a scent trail out into the LF busting a doe out of her hiding place. They went West. A tall fork horn just chased a doe back to the NE thru the timber. Being late in wasn’t a problem after all

06-Nov-21
8:25- Just saw a doe go thru the timber West of me, she is over by the scrape blowing now

06-Nov-21
8:53- Deer 40-50yds NW of me blowing back in the timber, cannot see it but am sure it is smelling me as that is the way the wind is blowing. The previous doe blew all four directions before walking along the creek channel headed NW behind my timber stand.

06-Nov-21
Sounds fun to be in the woods.

06-Nov-21
Sorry I didn’t get you called back, wife had a meal ready when I got home and figured I had better spend time with her as she was going to be by herself most of the weekend

06-Nov-21
Oh you’re fine...you made the right choice. Something I tend not to make sometimes:)

06-Nov-21
10:53- Back at the truck after checking the cameras and checking sign along the field edge. The licking branch and scrape I have watched them work is pretty unimpressive, not much to look at all. Found some new scrapes and rubs, but none of the often used trails out of the field gave me any sign that they were used more than others. Lots of tracks everywhere. Nothing else had moved or happened since the doe blew behind me, going to go run some errands, then be back out mid afternoon

06-Nov-21
After checking photos and TC pictures, there was a lot I missed this morning coming in late, and while there.

06-Nov-21

First buck seen, that rousted the doe out of the weed patch. he was much larger than I thought
First buck seen, that rousted the doe out of the weed patch. he was much larger than I thought
Wide and tall
Wide and tall
Can you see her laying down?
Can you see her laying down?
Chasing the doe towards the creek crossing
Chasing the doe towards the creek crossing

06-Nov-21

2nd juvenile buck seen chasing a doe
2nd juvenile buck seen chasing a doe
He was a bit more than a fork horn too
He was a bit more than a fork horn too
The doe that came thru the timber from the South, stood back in the trees blowing an alarm in all four directions while West of me 80+ yds
The doe that came thru the timber from the South, stood back in the trees blowing an alarm in all four directions while West of me 80+ yds
The licking branch and small scrape on the South side of the LF
The licking branch and small scrape on the South side of the LF

06-Nov-21

The most visited licking branch wasn't much to see, nor is the scrape below it
The most visited licking branch wasn't much to see, nor is the scrape below it
Scrape along the field edge by a large Walnut tree that is there every year, grows in size thru the rut
Scrape along the field edge by a large Walnut tree that is there every year, grows in size thru the rut
New rub by the walnut scrape
New rub by the walnut scrape
Watching me walk in this morning
Watching me walk in this morning

06-Nov-21

The two does being pursued this morning most likely
The two does being pursued this morning most likely

06-Nov-21
Too bad you didn’t get a shot at that 1st buck. Daughter andI went out this morning, all I saw was a spike and small buck about like your 2nd one. Daughter saw 1 big bodied buck with what she called a decent rack, walking the edge of a watershed, rubbing a fewsmall saplings as he went, but not really cruising. Good luck this evening.

06-Nov-21
You too Brian. Enjoy that father/daughter time

06-Nov-21
Hunt #7 pm- It’s 69f with 13 mph South winds. Back in the same stand ( due to the South wind ) at 3:45.

When I left this morning, I took the back roads along crop fields and creek/river bottoms looking for cruising bucks and other rut activities. When I left home coming back here, I did the same. I saw nothing, no deer, no parked hunting vehicles, no rubs, only saw two harvest operations active and they were leaving tracks in the fields.

Hopefully the chasing will continue tonight, but think they are still just separating the fawns from the does.

06-Nov-21
5:56- Doe out in the middle of the main field 100yds SE of me

06-Nov-21
5:59- Second doe out with first just above the first terrace

06-Nov-21
6:20- Lost sight of the two does when they went South thru the field, can now see them along the West side of the cedar grove by the neighbors place. Not looking good for tonight, the sun has gone out of sight.

06-Nov-21
6:30- Buck just came out of the cedar grove, is chasing one of the does around the field

06-Nov-21
Any given moment buddy!

06-Nov-21
6:39- Buck is headed East by himself, walking behind the cedar grove

06-Nov-21
7:05- Back at the truck under Venus and the new moon beginning to light the night up in the next week. Scared the lone fawn out of her hiding spot in the hedgerow on my walk out, she ran South thru the beans, could hear them shattering out of the pods spraying everywhere as she ran, they are costing us and them a good yield by them not getting them harvested before the rains hit.

06-Nov-21
At least that buck has high hopes. Just doesn’t sound like the area does just are not quite ready to co-operate. Should be any day now. Keep after them.

06-Nov-21

Got to watch this predator hunt mice around the brush piles all afternoon
Got to watch this predator hunt mice around the brush piles all afternoon
Two does out in the middle of the field
Two does out in the middle of the field
Does up by the cedar grove
Does up by the cedar grove
Adult doe that the buck chased later. Picture of the buck was bad, too dark at that time
Adult doe that the buck chased later. Picture of the buck was bad, too dark at that time
As I left the city limits of the little community I drive thru daily, a doe fawn was laying along side the road watching me drive by, not 3ft off the road edge. I don't think she had been hit, I think she was just hiding like the one was I spooked on my walk out tonight. Lots of harvest activity seen on my way home too, had to pull off the road into a field entrance for one HUGE combine driving the gravel road headed to their next field. Without the header on, he took up the whole road.

07-Nov-21
Hunt #8- It's in the mid 40's headed to 80f today, S-SSW wind of 7- 20mph wind today, sunrise is 6:58, sunset is 5:18

07-Nov-21

6:45- Was in my stand a little after 6 this morning, there was just a hint of color in the Eastern sky. Something ran thru beans out in front of me about 6:15, still dark enough I couldn’t make it out, assuming it was a coyote which appear on my cameras often. Was 47f at the truck and the wind wasn’t bad, but as the sunrises it is cool sitting here

07-Nov-21
7:30- 3 does just came from the SW thru the timber, walking by my NW stand, headed towards the NW bedding area.

07-Nov-21
7:34- The 3 does were just chased back South by a small buck that looks busted up

07-Nov-21
7:47- 9pt is at the licking branch and scrape on west side of LF; came from the bedding area

07-Nov-21
8:05- 9pt disappeared; never saw him again. One doe just went back towards the NW bedding area, think she may have came from creek crossing. I am regretting not sitting in the NW stand this morning, considered it when I first crawled up in this one and felt the wind.

Another doe entering the LF from the South side

07-Nov-21
8:30- Has been an active last 30 minutes; had 2 separate 3-4 yr old bucks chasing the three does and a spike buck around the LF. Shot some video and pictures of them, picked my bow up for a bit when the larger and wider of the two appeared to be headed my way. The spike was a big bodied boy, ran just west of me out along the field edge headed South not wanting to get his ass beat by the bigger buck that was after him

07-Nov-21
Randy….what does LF mean again…large field?

07-Nov-21
Randy….what does LF mean again…large field?

07-Nov-21
Little field.

All the deer headed back towards the NW bedding area

07-Nov-21
Youre in the action! I've got my buddy Mike and his boy at our Attica spot again this morning, and they ain't seen nothin, poor kid.

07-Nov-21

LF=Little Field, small field separated from Main field by a slough, is where the majority of the deer activity happens here, furthest from the roads, closest to the creek channel, staging area they use at dusk.

07-Nov-21
I was covered in deer first thing this morning. Had a dozen around me, and then all went quiet a little before 8:00. Haven’t seen anything since.

07-Nov-21
Good luck to all this morning...

07-Nov-21
Stay put Kyler if you can, I have to head out about 10

07-Nov-21

MF=Main Field, 85% of the property

07-Nov-21
9:00- Young six point just crossed the LF from the South, headed to the NW bedding area

07-Nov-21
In past hunts you referred to an “enclosed field.” Is that different than the “little field”?

07-Nov-21
9:52- Going to take a break for a few hours, meet with a friend for lunch, will head back out in a few hours. Nothing else has moved since the last little buck went thru.

07-Nov-21
I think you all will see why I quit videoing, put the camera away and picked up my bow

07-Nov-21
When he started pushing the does towards the bedding area

07-Nov-21
Second nice buck that was pursuing the fork horn out of the area.

07-Nov-21
1:30- Back in the woods after having lunch with my friend Shane who is back home to hunt with family. Always a pleasure to see you Shane, thanks for taking the time to come see us.

It’s now 75f with a 9-15mph wind out the South. I parked on the South end by a new rub that wasn’t there a couple days ago. I took the long way in to avoid having my scent invade either bedding area walking in along the hedgerow from the East. I bumped the lone fawn out of her bed in doing so, was shocked to have bedded deer on this place, am sure she moved over to get away from the harassing bucks in their normal bedding choice. She jumped up and ran without blowing, do not believe she saw me, just heard me coming thru the brush and dry leaves. Still did not see established trails back in this neck of timber, but they have used it heavily the last 2-3 hunts

07-Nov-21
Hope you see that 10 in the first video again! Good luck Randy

07-Nov-21
3:00- Thanks Kyle, me too. Got an awesome picture of him lip curling back in the woods in the shadows that I won’t be posting on the internet, am going to see about having a canvas print of it made.

Sitting here swaying in the breeze with a blizzard of leaves raining down on me. Have heard some loud pops in the trees during the bigger gusts, makes me nervous hearing those.

07-Nov-21
Nice to know I’m not the only one hunting this afternoon, good luck Randy. I’m hoping to see a buck like that 10 sometime this November!

07-Nov-21

Lone fawn is back

07-Nov-21
4:08- Doe fawn finally decided to leave, went East and across the LF to the South

07-Nov-21
4:37- Spike buck came in from the South across the LF within 10yds of me. He then went NE towards the main trail used to access the bedding area. He just ran SW like his life depended on it

07-Nov-21
Curious

07-Nov-21
6:08- Back at the truck. Saw two does out in the main field right at dark, big let down after this morning’s action. Will post some pictures over the week while hating it that I cannot hunt until next Saturday am.

08-Nov-21

New rub near where I parked the truck
New rub near where I parked the truck
Rub visible from the NW stand
Rub visible from the NW stand
Good thing it was a fawn, had it been a smart deer she would have smelled me right off
Good thing it was a fawn, had it been a smart deer she would have smelled me right off
Tiny little girl went over to drink from the pond, had no clue I was near her
Tiny little girl went over to drink from the pond, had no clue I was near her

08-Nov-21

Until she caught a whiff of me right here
Until she caught a whiff of me right here
Spike that was scared of his own shadow, super nervous at any noise heard, ran from point a to point b, head snapping all directions looking for threats
Spike that was scared of his own shadow, super nervous at any noise heard, ran from point a to point b, head snapping all directions looking for threats
Ears back, look of fear in his eyes, he has been abused already this season
Ears back, look of fear in his eyes, he has been abused already this season
Wish my camera could have taken this shot better, Moon and Venus were a sight last night
Wish my camera could have taken this shot better, Moon and Venus were a sight last night

12-Nov-21

It has been a long week not being able to hunt in the afternoons after work because of the ridiculous time change! My friends have been sending me texts with pictures, calling me telling me about their hunts, I have been following the other hunting threads, seeing the great deer pictures on the meat pole thread, and have been seeing roaming bucks on my drives. Yesterday while out driving in my company vehicle, I nearly hit an 8pt rutting buck that decided to cross the interstate as I drove at 70mph. It was so close that he peed on the hood and windshield as he jumped in the air just ahead of my van. When he landed on the shoulder of the road, his back feet slid under him, he slid off the edge of the pavement sliding on his rump using his front feet like ski poles, head up the whole time. I imagine he got some serious road rash from it.

I look forward to being in the woods again the next two days. I hope to see more does than I did in previous hunts. I hope I haven't missed too much of the chase phase working this week, it is the best phase of the rut IMO for action.

These are a few pictures of recent visitors in the last couple of weeks before last weekend's hunt.

12-Nov-21

12-Nov-21

The 10pt from the video last weekend
The 10pt from the video last weekend

12-Nov-21

10pt again
10pt again
Night owl
Night owl

12-Nov-21
Good luck this weekend.

12-Nov-21
Another quick story from this last week. A co-worker told me about her future father in law shooting a nice buck the night before. She told about helping her boyfriend and his dad track the deer following the shot. She said there was blood everywhere, very easy blood trail to follow.... at first. She told me the arrow had been located, showed good blood on it, said they easily tracked the deer for quite awhile, then the blood just stopped after the deer had crossed the road. They grid searched a large area around the last drops found but stopped looking in the dark that night. The next day the shooter returned in the daylight but again did not find the deer. He had checked nearby ponds and streams, draws and ditches near the last blood found the night before. Two days later, the buck showed up on his trail cameras again showing no ill effects from the injury.

12-Nov-21
Randy....conditions are setting up nicely for your weekend hunt. Get a good'un!

• Sitka Gear