Al Dente Laptop 21-Oct-21
jdbbowhunter 21-Oct-21
Al Dente Laptop 21-Oct-21
Squash 27-Oct-21
Al Dente Laptop 27-Oct-21
spike78 29-Oct-21
Squash 29-Oct-21
21-Oct-21
This hunting season is already shaping up to be full of people with no woodmanship skills. Seems the DEC has rescued many lost hunters in the northern zone already. How , with today’s technology does anyone get lost. Jesh, compass, tops map, gps, cellphone map apps, etc . ?

21-Oct-21
That sounds like a bit of good news (increasing numbers) but safety and capability is definitely a concern. I haven't seen any similar stuff going on in the Southern Tier.

21-Oct-21
Yeah, good news, filling the forest full of people that get lost if they travel over 100 yds from their vehicle. LOL

21-Oct-21
Curious as to how many hunters we are talking about in the NZ ? Especially since the only big game seasons that have been open are early bear and deer bow & mz.

21-Oct-21
2 this week already in my area of Tug Hill and the ADKs. But no one has answered my question yet. How does anyone get lost today with all of the technology out there ?

21-Oct-21
Register to receive weekly updates from the DEC EnCon Officers and Forest Rangers. There are A LOT of lost people, not just hunters out there getting rescued. I agree that in the age we live in, how is it possible for someone to get lost. Lack of skills, lack of planning, lack of knowledge of the area, etc... As far as hunters in general go, I am so happy to hunt hunt private land more than ever. This is due to the DEC boasting of 67,270 people taking the online safety class last year. That means ZERO in person: safe firearms handling, shoot or don't shoot, knowing your target and beyond, game recognition, blood trailing, tree stand safety, crossing a fence with a loaded firearm, safe handling of sharp broadheads, etc... Stay safe everyone, and good luck.

21-Oct-21
Good question , have hunted for years, NY and out west. Never got lost. Only ever had a compass and common sense. Agree with Al no hands on courses is a joke. But I'm not surprised by anything in NY anymore.

21-Oct-21
Just read through the Forest Ranger Report from last week, 6 Wilderness Rescues of people lost in the woods, and 1 search that was inconclusive.

27-Oct-21
DEC Rangers rescue another NZ 58 year old hunter.

27-Oct-21
2 hunters last week had to be rescued because they got lost. One was in Newcomb, Essex County and the other was in Greig, in Lewis County.

29-Oct-21
I think the problem is technology. I’ve had a few times where my phone has screwed me on direction due to bad reception. It is definitely not a great substitute for the good ole compass.

29-Oct-21
With most phone apps you do not need service. But you do have to download the map when you do have service and then go off grid when there is no service. But I agree why do these lost people not know how to read a map and compass ?

• Sitka Gear