Brian M. 31-Dec-21
soapdish 31-Dec-21
Notme 03-Jan-22
soapdish 03-Jan-22
Big Dog 04-Jan-22
23-Oct-21

N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
With the mild winter, few acorns in parts of the state... and even fewer birthday parties last year due to covid, I wasn't sure how the mylar balloon part of my season would go. Turns out they are pretty resilient. I have no trail cam pics of this one. It just showed up today. Judging by the short string, I'm guessing it was a 1 1/2 year old....

24-Oct-21
When it comes to mylars I like to fill my garbage pail early in the season so I can concentrate on the big hot air. It's been years without even seeing a good hot air :>(

24-Oct-21
I pulled about 10 out so far.

24-Oct-21
Two for me so far. One in my own woodlot, looked to have been there a couple years. One yesterday on my hunting property in Putnam. With as many as we find, the sky should be full of them.

24-Oct-21
Big “Balloon” Bob as well?

24-Oct-21
I used to carry some balloons in my wallet, I never knew when the opportunity for a party would happen.

24-Oct-21
Weren't they made from papyrus Reed back then?..lol

24-Oct-21
I can kinda visualize Bob with a chain wallet ......oh wait never mind....he got rid of his Vette for a Miata..... Velcro for sure....matches his shoes

28-Oct-21
Some people say that the balloons float to the coldest area of the woods and then pop there. How does this benefit hunters you might ask? Well, big bucks tend to bed in the colder areas when it's warmer out. Many people swear by this balloon theory. I killed two bucks last year out of a tree stand where two ridges collide then slope down. After I heard this theory for the first time... what do you know... there are remnants of 3 different balloons just 20 and 30 yards away from my stand.

28-Oct-21
When I was younger I would use that line with my dates. I would ask them if they wanted to see something cool, then take out the balloon, and,.......well you know the rest of the story. A balloon left in the woods.

28-Oct-21
Haha!

29-Oct-21
2 this morning, what's the limit? Maybe the state should put a $5 deposit on these

29-Oct-21

soapdish's embedded Photo
Big ones too

30-Oct-21
That one on the right is a mature one! Congrats

30-Oct-21
It was tending the other one....I guess the rut is on

30-Oct-21
Hey!!! I caught the innuendo! Showing deflated balloons because I'm old. I get it!!

30-Oct-21
BBB.....ever since you told us about your younger days in the woods and leaving balloons behind.....I kinda wanna just bury the ones I find......

05-Nov-21
New record today. I got 5. Maybe the state should put a $5 dep on these

06-Nov-21
Careful. Not sure what the possession limit is on these migratory floaters. You better eat a few to make room in the freezer before the migration starts

06-Nov-21
I'm way ahead of you. I made some mylar meatballs in marinara sauce

06-Nov-21
When I find some more I'll make mylar minestrone....freezes well and really warms the belly on a cold winter day.

14-Nov-21
I've filled 2 mylar tags myself this fall. Not my best, but I'm track for a stellar season lol.

14-Nov-21
Got my third a couple days ago. Half of one anyway.

15-Nov-21
Need some advice. I haven't gotten a mylar in 16 years now, so where's the best place to look? Should I be looking up at the sky or down at the ground??? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Mmmmm, mylar meatballs.

15-Nov-21

BBB's embedded Photo
BBB's embedded Photo
I found the honey hole!!! Going to need help with the drag though.

15-Nov-21
Sounds like someone needs to get out in the woods..... maybe Steve can retrofit a cart for you

17-Nov-21
No cart needed with that flock (herd?). They can air lift BBB out of the woods!

Btw. That looks like a bedding area BBB. Good find! Also looks like a few younglings at the bottom. Hope they make it through the winter. Their skin isnt tough yet

03-Dec-21

Just 1 of 3 I harvested today.

03-Dec-21
I found my fourth last week. Looked similar to yours Soap. That's a nice one, gonna mount it?

03-Dec-21
Probably..... just trying to find someone who specialize with mylar that's reasonable

04-Dec-21
Maybe try a do it yourself euro-mount without the string?

05-Dec-21
I'm glad that I am not the only one that picks them up takes them out. My wife won't let me hang them up in the house so I just throw them out.

05-Dec-21
I had Mylar sitting up in tree for 2 years. Won’t fall down. No guys it’s not a squirrel nest. My eyes not that bad yet

07-Dec-21
You'll never guess what I found in the woods today

18-Dec-21
Another one today while getting brush for the goose blind

19-Dec-21
The migration must be starting...

19-Dec-21
No Mylars yet but we did have two paraplane idiots fly over our goose spread in pomfret yesterday morning. First time this year we thought about sky busting.

19-Dec-21
A long time ago.....we had a kaman test helicopter hover above us while trying to goose hunt

30-Dec-21

When does the season close?

30-Dec-21

I stalked up to this monster.....I'm gonna get it mounted. WTF people.,..not you guys.....the ones releasing these balloons

30-Dec-21
I'm so jealous, that's an old boy and a tough one to find when the wind is wrong. You obviously have years of experience in stalking these bad boys, congrats!!

30-Dec-21
I haven’t seen any in over a month. Pretty sure those darn gypsy-moths destroyed the trees they normally nest in near me.

30-Dec-21
I thought they were all wild, but watching tv last week, there was a benefit or memorial for some unfortunate soul and the crowd released a few bouquets of assortment balloons. I thought, oh joy, a restocking program.

30-Dec-21
Haha!

31-Dec-21

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
These were trying to jump the border..lol

31-Dec-21
Notme, where did you get the colony trap, and what bait did you use?

31-Dec-21
Brian, from what I've observed they seem to like hanging around open fields with a scattering of granite stones, breeding grounds possibly? As far as bait,it seems they have a hankering for plastic flowers that grow wild in my area..

31-Dec-21

LMAO I found a lesser sub species in a climate controlled area while at a car dealership today.

31-Dec-21
Look at them straining on that leash. It'll never hold. Should've went with welded link chain.

31-Dec-21

I saw this one bedded 50 yards in as I pulled in. Not pressured at all

03-Jan-22

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
Looks like this flock is getting ready to fly the coop..

03-Jan-22
Coming to some woods near you

04-Jan-22

• Sitka Gear