matching bevel and fletching
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
seneca_inc 24-Oct-21
oldgoat 25-Oct-21
PECO 25-Oct-21
Treeline 02-Nov-21
24-Oct-21
I worked on dialing in my whitetail setup this weekend. Randomly, I decided to test the bevel and fletching matching. I had a left helical arrow and a right helical single bevel broadhead. Everything I tried, I could not get the broadhead to loosen. I concluded this is likely some bro-science. Has anyone else tried this test? Details below; Arrow: Easton 2219, 31.5", RPS insert, 3-5" feathers, left helical, parabolic Bow: Black widow PMA, 61# at 30.5" draw, shooting tab Broadhead: Werewolf 2-blade single bevel - right, 200g I lightly finger tightened, very light. Shot into 3d foam, bales, and sand. Shot at 5 yds, and out to 40 yards. Never once did the head loosen at all. No thread lock, or rubber washer, etc. - loose fit threads. No difference in arrow flight. In any case, seems like a "doesn't matter" factor.

25-Oct-21
That isn't why I don't mix bevel and wing. When your arrow hits the deer and it's spinning CCW from the LW Feathers, the right bevel broadhead is going to start wanting to spin to the right going through the deer, that change in direction is going to bleed off energy! Enough to matter, I have no idea, probably not on a deer, unless you hit a big bone. Do what you want, I don't mix them!

25-Oct-21
What oldgoat said.

02-Nov-21
It’s not a loosening thing with LH vs RH bevel heads, it is a change in directional rotation thing.

In order to change the rotation of an arrow about it’s axis, there has to be energy expended. That happens on a critter as soon as the broadhead encounters resistance from the hide. With different bevel to fletchings, arrow basically stops spinning the way the fletchings started it out and then starts spinning the other way due to the forces on the broadhead bevel.

I, personally do not want to intentionally lose energy needlessly on any critter I shoot. For most deer, it’s probably not enough to make a noticeable difference. For really big critters like bison or buffalo, absolutely critical.

• Sitka Gear