DeerBuilder.com
Observation stand
Kansas
Contributors to this thread:
Sand man 01-Nov-21
Thornton 01-Nov-21
One Arrow 02-Nov-21
01-Nov-21
So I’m curious who sits in observation stands early precut. I went out tonight and had one of the most amazing sits and never got any closer than 150 yards from any deer. Stopped counting at 27. Movement started at 4:15 and the last deer moved out just after legal shooting time. Multiple young bucks chasing the fawns and the big does didn’t pay them any attention. First deer on the field was a real nice shooter buck and two mature does. Buck browsed on beans for about 5 mins and then bedded off the field about 10’ on the end/top of a terrace in some knee high grass. He laid there and watched everything. All the rest of the deer started trickling out the other side of the field into some CRP just after sunset. When the last two does where just off the field edge he got up and cut through the field and followed. AWESOME EXPERIENCE TO BE THERE. When the wing hits right it will be time to move to one of the three stands further down the property. I’d of gotten winded but the big buck did walk right past one of my stands. Just need a NNE wind vs. a NE wind to give it a shot.

01-Nov-21
I have a stand I rarely hunt, set up behind a screen of cedars so I can sneak in undetected. One sit there or on a hill in August, and I can gather more intel on resident deer than an entire summer of trailcams. Only works if I have soybeans though, and it's not uncommon to see 30 deer. Hope to have alfalfa next year.

02-Nov-21
Sand man... I used to have 2 such locations, many years ago. I’ve learned that I can pretty much see everything I want from my truck and good glass. Less pressure.

Granted, there are areas I can’t cover from a truck... but if they are that far back in there I’ve decided it’s best to stay out unless I’m intent hunting.

The nice thing about “observation stands” is that there is an outside chance of killing something out of them and the added bonus of being in a tree. Plus if you do have areas you can’t oversee from the road it’ll give you a game plan for future hunts in those areas. I’ve actually put up tree stands that I thought were very huntable that turned out to be pretty much observation stands which allowed me to make a move.

Edit - I do think what you are doing is great! That is true scouting and using your wits. Love that stuff.

• Sitka Gear