Quailhunter 19-Nov-21
MBabs 19-Nov-21
02-Nov-21

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Mathews Solocam SE4 - Z7 Composite Limb System
Mathews Solocam SE4 - Z7 Composite Limb System
Ground Attack (I-Phone Video Attachment)
Ground Attack (I-Phone Video Attachment)
Millenium M150 Hang On Stand & Climbing Sticks
Millenium M150 Hang On Stand & Climbing Sticks
Scent Thief Cover Scent
Scent Thief Cover Scent
Welcome friends! I will be hunting whenever time permits be it the weekend, weekdays and or holidays. Will have some long-time friends (Darren & AL) joining me from 11/8-11/21 and I will share their stories and experiences as well. We will be hunting in South-SE Flinthills regions of KS and have plenty of stands and properties to hunt. We will be hunting primarily from tree stands but do have one ladder stand located where tree's are too small for hang-on stands. I've got a buck and doe tag in my pocket. Next week, I will share my experiences while hunting the Grand Osage WA Special Hunt and plan to take the doe from there.

Weapon: Compound (Mathews Solocam SE4 - Z7 Composite Limb System)

I-Phone Video Attachment: Ground Attack (KS made)

Broadhead: Swhacker 2 Blade 125 gr. 2.25" Cut

Hang-on Tree Stands: Millenium M150 Monster Hang-On

Cover Scent: Scent Thief (I get boxes of this stuff from the Owner in Missouri). Not sure if it is even sold in central KS market or not? Would assume so? IMO, works great!

Deer Scent: James Valley "Wall Hanger" Dominant Buck Lure GEL (have incredible history using this scent....will share video of a past encounter later on in the thread).

Let the fun begin!

02-Nov-21
Good luck Jason. Sounds like you’re set and ready to go. Looking forward to the updates.

02-Nov-21

Deer Scent: James Valley "Wall Hanger" Dominant Buck Lure GEL
Deer Scent: James Valley "Wall Hanger" Dominant Buck Lure GEL

02-Nov-21
Good luck! The Grand Osage hunt is a blast. I hope to hunt it again one day, but the applicant #s climb every year.

02-Nov-21
Ready to see an'old crusty-buck!

02-Nov-21
Thanks for taking us along!

02-Nov-21
Jason, PM sent

02-Nov-21
Just stay away from ole crusties from vegas.

02-Nov-21
Brian...PM received. I will review the info. this week/weekend. Thx for sharing.

02-Nov-21
Good luck! You'd do well to throw those Shwackers away though. Lost my 2015 buck to one, but killwe him a few weeks later with a rifle and was able to see what the head failed to do.

03-Nov-21

Ladder Stand Location
Ladder Stand Location
Doe (red circle) while hiking in to stand
Doe (red circle) while hiking in to stand
Location of 10ptr. and direction he went
Location of 10ptr. and direction he went
Hunt #1: Saturday 10/30/2021 PM

Stand: "Upper River" Ladder

This ladder stand is located along the edge of a timbered river bottom and a sea of Flinthills prairie. West and beyond the timbered river bottom is AG (recently cut soybeans). The prairie to the east of the stand is higher and falls downhill toward it and the timbered river bottom below which creates a protected funnel/pinch point between the prairie and timbered river bottom. The ladder stand faces east with best shots out into the prairie along multiple deer trails that parallel both sides of paddock fence lines and nearby fence crossings (all part of the properties that I hunt) along with a few select shooting lanes down thru the timbered river corridor behind/below the ladder stand.

The evening of 10/30 was one of the most beautiful and still evenings while hunting that I can remember. While walking in, there was a doe bedded at a nearby spring between me and where I was headed. She saw me but didn't spook as I was down wind of her. I backed out and hiked the long way around to my ladder stand to avoid her spooking and running thru my hunting area beyond her.

About 6pm a double white throat patched momma doe with female and male fawns (see videos below) came down one of the fence line trails. The male fawn crossed under and ate acorns under my oak tree and I saw the start of his buttons. The momma and female fawn crossed under at one of the crossings. At about 6:15PM, I saw a big wide 10ptr. in the timber north of me (that I would have shot) with crab claws on his outer main beam ends that was feeding on acorns all by himself. I decided that I would not call or rattle to him but instead let him do his thang with the hopes he would naturally feed on acorns my direction. Instead of feeding south to me he fed north away from me. Awhile later, it was too dark to see him and I snuck out of there without spooking any deer. He has no idea I was there and hope to see him again during another future hunt!

While hiking out, the nesting pair of Bald Eagles along the nearby river sounded off with their bedtime chirping and that got what sounded like 6-8 gobblers that were roosting near the eagles going for a little bit. Turkeys roosting near eagles...strange?

Stay tuned for the next hunt!

03-Nov-21

160 & Stand Location "X" marks the spot...roughly
160 & Stand Location "X" marks the spot...roughly
On 11/3, I will be in Neodesha, KS in the AM for business and following that will mosey on over to another property in the region for a PM hunt. It is a square 160 acre block of mostly dense thick a$$ cedars but has about 30 acres of black jack oak forest in the NE corner of the property with a long N-S ridge line and drainages/draws along the west side. I have a hang-on stand located near the SW corner of that block of timber within shooting distance of the main deer trail along the nearby ridge line and the top bowl of one of the draws to the west. This 160 is an island of dense cover surrounded by wide open prairie on the North and East side and broken up pastures to the South and West.

I am banking on the does coming in there to hide from the bucks that will be pestering them and then bring the bucks right along with them as they feed on the bountiful acorns within that timbered portion of acreage where my stand is located.

Will let you know when I get settled into the stand and the Hunt is officially on!

03-Nov-21
Good Luck CB, both properties look inviting from the pictures, I really like the Neod property!

03-Nov-21
Good luck this evening.

03-Nov-21
Good luck and here’s wishing you some fun hunts.

03-Nov-21
Good luck! Neodesha is pretty close to home.

03-Nov-21
I’ve seen a lot of nice bucks in the Neodesha area. Wilson County is just to the north of me. Great country!

03-Nov-21

Stand Location
Stand Location
View to the North (front)
View to the North (front)
View to East….scrapes everywhere!
View to East….scrapes everywhere!
View to the South (rear)
View to the South (rear)
Hunt #2: Wed. 11/3/2021PM

Stand: "Timber Thicket" Hang-on

4pm…just got settled in the stand. Got here later than I’d like but we’ll see what the next few hours brings. Let’s Get Ready To RUMBLE!

03-Nov-21

03-Nov-21

View to the West (side)
View to the West (side)
5pm had a single doe come in straight out in front of the stand. It is so quiet tonight it was almost like she was afraid to move. She just stood in one place peaking thru a cedar with her eyes on the scrape just below my tree. She eventually walked on to the north out of site. 5:25pm…can’t see it yet but have another deer walking out of view on my west side. C’mon….show yourself!

03-Nov-21
Dang, you were in "cheese town" and didn't say hi?

And it's been so long ago that I forget why some called it cheese town.

03-Nov-21
Are all of your videos from your IPhone?

03-Nov-21
I was going to ask the same thing. I have a cheap $90 android that doesn't take very clear photos

03-Nov-21
I want to know what happened, I'm thinking something good

04-Nov-21
Marvin....sorry buddy but after leaving "Cheese Town" later than I would have liked my priority at that time was to get in that tree while the gett'in was good. You know how it is! Next time I am down your way, I will make sure to holler at you so we can meet for lunch....I'm buyin!

Ray & JT....yes, Sir! All my videos are taken with my lil ole I-Phone 8. Yeah, I know it's ancient but I think it does alright and it fits my attachment/holder A-OK. Hope the quality is good on the viewers end?

Didn't "light the world on fire" during last nights hunt. Never saw the deer that was walking West of me out of view but I hung to hope until last light. Overall, my first sit at the "Timber Thicket" was actually kind of a DUD...but more than thrilled to be out in God's creation! Scrapes and rubs were everywhere. So, that spot is definitely getting lots of action. The scrape near my stand looks like they are digging to China.

See the attached videos of the skittish doe that had come in and a 360 deg. "semi-live" view from the stand. I will be back to that spot sometime in mid-late Nov. as I am going to let my buddies hunt it over the next few weeks. I have some other stands to hunt and excited to climb up in'em. Good Luck to all of you trying to get it done as well!

04-Nov-21
Thanks Jason.... no the videos are very clear. Impressed. I need to order that attachment. Thanks!

07-Nov-21

Stand red "X" and fence crossing yellow "circle"
Stand red "X" and fence crossing yellow "circle"
Big Bucks travel route
Big Bucks travel route
"Ole Crusty" gets around!
"Ole Crusty" gets around!
Hunt #3: Sat. 11/6/2021 AM-PM

Stand: "Middle" Hang-on

The "middle" stand as I call it is in the "middle" of the property along a long wide deep draw about 1/2 mile long. The end of the draw to the NW dumps out at a major timbered creek drainage and the other end of the draw (close to where I am located) stops out in the middle of the prairie. The nearest timber is a 1/2 mile away in all directions. Deer love this deep wide draw as it affords them concealment as they move throughout the property. There is really no mast crop trees for them to feed on while in the draw. I feel it is a secure staging area and deer from all directions drop down into it to connect and travel to other areas of the property and to cross paths with deer there or others that have come thru. Also, there is a generational fence crossing here (where 3 paddocks come together) that they have all used since they were babies so they (does and bucks) are indoctrinated into using it as they travel thru this protected draw.

Per the first pic., red "X" is stand location and yellow "circle" is the fence crossing. At the top and bottom of the pic. you can see the rocky ledge that lines the top of the draw and is probably 60'-80' height difference between the bottom of the draw and hilltop above. From the stand, there is timber/brush to the southeast for about 300 yds and timber/brush to the northwest for about 200 yds. The stand is located near a small break or opening between the two segments of cover.

On Sat. I watched the sunrise and sunset from the tree and never left it the entire day. Action was early (8:30am) as a small 6 chased 4 does out of the cover NW of me. Then nothing until Noon. At noon, a spike buck bedded down just NW of the fence crossing and stayed there until 3:30pm. All the while, nothing else came thru the area. Nothing continued except my persistent head nods (quick power naps as the mid-day sun and constant white noise from the wind lulled me to sleep a few times).

Then at 5:30pm, I hear a deer snort in the timber about 80 yds east of me (See second pic. "X"). I didn't hear it running away so assumed it was still in there and possibly coming my way. So, I hopped up and me and the bow were at the ready in case it came down one of the three trails near my stand. Next thing I know, I see a deer heading up the hillside to my NE and by the time it reached the top of the hillside I had the bino's on it to get a better look at what it was. It was no doubt a shooter (13ptr. with extra trash/kickers, etc.), so I decided to put the bow down and grab the horns. Did a light sparring sequence with some grunts thrown in and stopped him in his tracks at the top of the hill (see second pic. "circle") and finished it off with the can call. Then, down the hillside he comes stomping mad. I put the horns down and me and bow were at the ready. He hung up about 60 yds away behind some trees on the backside of a nearby dry creek bed directly across from the stand and stood there for what seemed like at least 1 min. looking for the deer he was going to fight (see second pic. "circle" down by dry creek bed). Then I guess because he didn't see a deer to fight he trotted away up and over the hill out of sight to the north (see second pic. "arrow"). Then darkness set in and the hunt was over. That last 5 min. was worth the whole day of sitting as it can happen at any given time. Close but no cigar!

Last pic. on the way home, "Ole Crusty" hat made a pit stop. Someone on here might recognize the location? Video provided shows 360 degree view from the "middle" stand where you can appreciate the security of this deep, wide and remote prairie draw/funnel.

Stay tuned, Hunt #4 will be coming mid-week from the Grand Osage WA Special Hunt and hoping for light winds and no 70-80 degree windy days! Who knows, I may have a "special" friend joining me on that hunt that should have been with me on this hunt?

08-Nov-21
Can’t wait to follow updates on your Grand Osage hunt. Good luck down there. Timing should be good.

08-Nov-21
Looks like a beautiful place to hunt Jason.

11-Nov-21

Young 10ptr making rub and freshening up scrapes after last nights storms
Young 10ptr making rub and freshening up scrapes after last nights storms
Area “A” fire lane between large wood lots. Stand will be overlooking a scrape and 2 deer trails that criss-cross this fire lane connecting the deer to both woodlots and bean field.
Area “A” fire lane between large wood lots. Stand will be overlooking a scrape and 2 deer trails that criss-cross this fire lane connecting the deer to both woodlots and bean field.
Hunt #4 Thurs. 11/11/2021 AM-PM

Where: Grand Osage WA

Stand: Hunting from ground w/decoy.

Make sure you thank or hug a veteran today! Arrived in Parsons late yesterday which was actually day 2 of the week long hunt. Had enough time to set-up camp and go to headquarters at 4pm for my safety meeting and select my 2 areas to hunt…..”A” & “B” areas.

Area “A” is made up of interconnected wood lots and hay meadows with a few creaks meandering thru. Standing beans to the NW and mostly cut but some standing corn to the SE. This AM I didn’t push too far in and set near the SE corner of hayfield enclosed by timber and a creek along the south side. Just after daylight, I had 3 does come across the field to inspect the deke. They stopped about 10 yds up wind of it and stared at it for probably 5 min. At the same time, I noticed a young “high & tight” 10 ptr (mid-140’s) making a rub and freshening up a scrape at the western edge of the hayfield about 150 yds away. Had to use the binos to see how big he was or wasn’t. Probably too pixelated to see but see pic. with red circle.

I got to watching him so intently that the does apparently wandered off as they were gone when I focused back on them. Then I remembered I have a doe tag in my pocket with intentions of using it on this specific hunt. Does have been personally off limits for me for so long I just got into the same old habit of letting them come and go without a second thought.

Got up from my spot at 11 to do some scouting of the area in order to decide where to put up a stand. Found a great looking spot between 2 deer trails that criss-cross a 15 yd wide fire lane that separates two woodlots and near the NW beanfield (see pic.). The distance to both deer trails and (1) newly freshened up and worked scrape from the stand will be 28 yds each.

Will be scouting Area “B” this afternoon to decide where to hang a stand in that area tomorrow. When I sign out tonight I will take a pic of the picture board showing the bucks that have been killed so far.

11-Nov-21
Good luck to you, thanks for taking us along!

11-Nov-21
If you take pictures in landscape mode doing a handstand they'll be oriented correctly...I kid! Good luck brother, have fun!

11-Nov-21
Glad to see you post. Been wondering how things were going? Would love to see a current photo of the success board. Good luck, remember that doe tag ??.

11-Nov-21
What number did you draw? Looking forward to hearing about your hunt!

11-Nov-21
What number did you draw? Looking forward to hearing about your hunt!

11-Nov-21

My Area “B” monster rub w/ bow for scale.
My Area “B” monster rub w/ bow for scale.
Hunt Group 1: Last week success photos
Hunt Group 1: Last week success photos. Stringwacker at the far right.
Hunt Group 1: Last week success photos. Stringwacker at the far right.
Yeah, sorry about that….the dang ole photo was taken in landscape mode…guess it had a mind of its own like some or all of us?

The afternoon was full of does and dinks. Dinks were following and not really chasing yet. All told, saw about 20 deer today. I have decided I will take a doe near the end of the hunt as fooling with one would take up part of a precious day of buck hunting!

Scouted Area “B” mid-day. Looks dang good and will be hunting it tomorrow. Found the biggest rub I have ever laid my eyes on (see pic. with my bow to give it some scale). I want to see that heavyweight!

Mark…since I was a day late at arriving I picked last….20A & 20B and knew it would be that way and rightly so. Out of the 4 areas I was interested in from aerial pre-scouting 3 of them were still actually available.

For this hunt so far, only (1) doe and (1) buck have been shot and not sure if the buck was found or not?

See pic’s of last week’s Hunt Group 1 success board.

11-Nov-21
Good luck Jason. Rooting for you all the way. That’s 1 hell of a rub for sure.

11-Nov-21
Surely there's a story on the wide buck? That rub is nuts, hope you find the maker!

12-Nov-21
Thanks for the update CB! Got to thinking after my post, that given your day two arrival, you were going to be last regardless of the number that was left:)

Looking forward to the updates!

12-Nov-21
Kyle...that wide buck in the back of the pick-up "rough" scored 167". The biggest so far. The buck shot last night was found and the only buck for our Group 2 so far...."rough" scored 147. Talking with the hunters tonight as we signed out seems to be the same story with everyone.....seeing mostly 130-140 class and everyone is passing on them....including me. More on that later.

Brian...your time is coming next week with Group 3 hunters. You getting ready and excited?

Mark....glad to have you along. Have you had a chance to dig into that Grand Osage WA buck yet. I heard when you take your first bite it is like a BOMB went off...get it?

12-Nov-21

"Deke" the Decoy along the firelane between deer trails that criss-cross. I was set-up in the timber beyond and to the right
"Deke" the Decoy along the firelane between deer trails that criss-cross. I was set-up in the timber beyond and to the right
Scape along the firelane trail
Scape along the firelane trail
Dink buck on trail crossing the firelane
Dink buck on trail crossing the firelane
Hunt #4 Thurs. 11/11/2021 AM-PM (Cont'd.)

Stand: Hunting from ground w/decoy.

Some pic's and videos from PM hunt mentioned in post above and the one above that with the upside down pic. Dinks, does and hoes!

12-Nov-21

bentstick54 's embedded Photo
bentstick54 's embedded Photo
Jason, I’ve been packing the camper for the last week, practicing with several bows, broadheads sharpened, and getting excited. Hoping you leave me a BIG lovesick buck for next week. Keep reports coming. They keep me fired up. Photo of my main gear.

12-Nov-21

Deer Camp....Glamping!
Deer Camp....Glamping!
Nice set-up! So far so good...Group 2 is leaving a bunch of bucks in the woods for your Group 3 hunt. However, with tomorrows cold temps and very light wind....that might change? Here is my deer camp this week...roughing it let me tell ya!

12-Nov-21
Pull some cedar branches or dead fall around the base of the "deke" brother...or just use a hand-puppet

12-Nov-21
Marvel Park?

12-Nov-21
Hand puppet, LOL! Yes....will camo it up next time. I thought it matched fairly well to the rythm of the fenceline, don't you? Got some looks by a few does crossing the firelane and one even saw it and walked up to within 5 yds of it. Garret got it to me about 5 min. before I skinned out of town. Grabbed a survey stick and some small clamps on the way out of the garage and was thankful I even remembered that.

Brian....yes, Marvel Park. Good Location and a little less than 10 min. away from the entry gates.

12-Nov-21
Hunt #5 Fri. 11/12/2021 AM-PM

Where: Grand Osage WA (Special Hunt)....cause I'm special?

Stand: Hunting from ground

Hunted Area "B" for the first time this AM. Wind was blowing WNW 25-30 mph, so I set up on the east side of a timbered draw and below some pond dams which helped cut the wind down by 10mph or so (Due to technical difficulties-See Pic. in post below). At 7am, the action started early. To my right, I saw a doe coming down the trail that I was uphill/downwind of and watching. Following behind her, I could see (2) sets of antlers. Glassed'em both and decided they were not shooters. Both bucks came within 10 yds of me. Had to scramble to get video of them because they were all 3 so close....therefore kind of a crazy video (Due to technical difficulties-See video in post below). Then later 9:30 had a doe come down the same trail but opposite direction (Due to technical difficulties-See video in post below).

For PM hunt, I set up within sight of the gigantic rub (see post above). Nadda, Nothing.

Tomorrows conditions (cold and no wind) are setting up to be perfect. Have a feeling a handful of Group 2 hunters will be connecting!

12-Nov-21

My Location
My Location

12-Nov-21

13-Nov-21
Keep the reports coming in! That is an amazing hunt. I had my first meal of Marvin's tenderized minute steak today. No bomb:)

But....the meat is definitely a milder flavor than those in my local that just survive off woody browse.

I feel that 'Monday' is going to be your day! Don't ask me why......

13-Nov-21
I think today is going to be his day. He’s going to feel so heartbroken around 3:00 today that fate is going to kick in and he’s going to shoot a bruiser this evening to lift his spirits:) Really enjoying this hunt so far...Good luck man.

13-Nov-21
It will be interesting to see if he posts on this thread this evening.

13-Nov-21

Breaking News….we interrupt this regularly scheduled football game to follow another team bleeding Crimson!

13-Nov-21
DP

13-Nov-21
Nice!!

13-Nov-21
Way to go CB...can’t wait to see what you got at the end of the blood trail.

13-Nov-21
Betting it’s a good one.

13-Nov-21
Well gosh dang...the blood looked good. Hurry up and get to him before the meat spoils. Ready for a pic.

13-Nov-21

Hunt #6 Sat.11/13/2021 AM

Stand: Hunting from ground…again. Did I tell you that I absolutely hate hanging stands….especially when doing it by myself and the fact I hung (11) sets on my private grounds with my buddies back in early Oct. So, on this hunt I didn’t hang either of the 2 hang-ons that I brought.

Man what a difference a day makes when comparing yesterday to today. A cold and incredibly still morning with little to no wind but had a little S-SW to it. PERFECT for killing a buck!

Strategy: Yesterday, I hunted Area "B" for both AM & PM hunts. This morning, I decided to go back to area “A” and hunt the 2 main trails that criss-cross at the firelane that separates two large blocks of timber with a huge field of standing beans nearby.

So, I sat down on the same downed tree trunk that I sat the other night when seeing just dinks and does and faced south staring intently into the wind and watching the south trail (25 yds away) as that was the trail they seemed to prefer the other night. Therefore, as a result I knew I would be giving up the north trail (30 yds) behind me and over my right shoulder. However, with a windless day I should hear’em if approaching downwind/behind me and maybe have enough time to slowly spin around for a shot. Anyway, still a little concerned about that I reached into my arsenal and took out my small bottle of Wall Hanger buck lure gel and placed it right next to me with the lid off.

The Hunt: Action started at 6:30, when 2 small 120-130 class bucks where hot on the tail of a single doe. Then 3 more buck groups came thru my woodlot either bumping or chasing does. Then it got quiet for a while. Quiet long enough that my mind started to wander and I started strategizing where I might hunt this evening. The sound of crunching leaves “behind/downwind” of me had me concerned. Hoping it was a squirrel but knowing it was a heavier sound than what a squirrel makes, I slowly turned my head to my right shoulder and in my peripheral vision saw the doe. Then a smaller 10 ptr. paralleling her. I could just make out another buck further behind them. So, I grabbed the bow locked in and quickly spun around. When I did, the doe and small 10pt. stopped dead in their tracks…but the other deer further back didn’t catch my movement and in he came crashing to get himself in position to use his larger body to essentially block the small 10 pt from the doe. He soon noticed that they were on alert and so he too stood still staring daggers into me like the other two were already doing. So here I am, on the ground at the same level as them with doe on my left, buck in the middle (straight in front of me) and small 10pt on my right. They can’t figure out what I am…I don’t look like a buck to them but I smell like one by golly. So, they creep and creep closer to either get a better look or a better whiff.

Small 10 pt. decides he’s not gonna get any closer and starts moving further to my right in an attempt to circle me. As he does this, the buck in the middle follows his movements to keep him blocked from the doe. Well, the middle "bigger" buck stopped broadside and lingered a bit too long in a narrow space between tree trucks and I let’er fly. He took off to my right and saw him go down after a short 30 yd sprint. Then he raised up 1/2 way and tipped over for good. All within sight and all on video. Need to edit the video to make it smaller size and will do that once back in Wichita with better/constant service. Look for the videos of the shot and blood trail to be uploaded to this thread soon.

At the time of this post, Group 2 has only killed 2 bucks (5 days into a 7 day hunt). Of the 20 hunters in Group 2, majority are KS residents and (2) OK, (1) MO, (1) MN, (1) FL. Me and one of the other “Okies” are the only two on the board. Good bunch of guys and I have confidence they will drop some bruisers in the few hunt days that remain.

Almost forgot to mention, while kneeled over gutting my buck with both hands, both arms and knife way up in his chest cavity a dad gum 10 ptr a little bigger than mine runs right by me chasing a doe (20 yds away). At that point I thought I was dreaming but it was real…real as warm blood on a cold, calm GRAND Nov. morning in KS!

14-Nov-21

14-Nov-21
Congrats CB. Great looking buck. Now I’m exited.

14-Nov-21
Great buck, and write up Jason, congrats!

14-Nov-21
Fantastic!!!!! Congrats!

14-Nov-21
Sounded thrilling.

14-Nov-21
First off, congrats!

Secondly, I’m personally glad to see someone hunting from the ground. Very overlooked tactic... in my opinion.

Grand Osage is a unique opportunity. Never hunted it, but toured it... what an experience for you!

14-Nov-21
Very cool, congrats!

14-Nov-21
Alright alright it was definitely worth the wait. Congrats on a very nice deer...good exciting hunt as well.

14-Nov-21
Congrats Jason

14-Nov-21

How I found’em
How I found’em
New use for rattl’in horns
New use for rattl’in horns
This is how I found him.

Also, when their is a task at hand (gutting) you forget rope you improvise by using the rope on the rattling horns.

14-Nov-21
Hopefully you didn’t have to drag him to far.

14-Nov-21
Deer Cart was a life saver! Otherwise it would have been a 3/8 mile drag.

14-Nov-21
I plan on taking one. The deer I shoot always seem to go the wrong way lol. Were there any others shot before you left?

15-Nov-21
Ray….just FYI I sent you a PM. Only 1 other buck had been shot prior to mine. A guy from OK shot a 147”+ on day 2. I need to check-in with a few of the guys to see if anything was shot yesterday?

Also, if space is limited due to hauling a travel trailer and all (I know how that can be) they have 2 or 3 deer carts sitting at the check-in for people to use when they need’em. They look pretty old and abused but assume they work or they wouldn’t have them there for hunters to use. Good Luck on Wed…..can you believe your hunt is almost here?

15-Nov-21
Thx. Getting excited now. PM sent.

15-Nov-21
Jason: taking advantage of a great opportunity, nice job.

15-Nov-21
Here ya go Boy's...the Kill Video. Way better if you view on your computer. However, if viewing on your phone you can stretch the view to zoom in closer. Figure out what is best for you. Either way, it is best to view as full screen image.

Also, if you pause the video right before I shoot, you can see doe on left edge of screen, obviously my buck in middle and smaller buck along right edge of screen. A little disappointed that the Lumenok didn't show up better but oh well. There are worse things that could have happened like a miss or wounding the big guy. Enjoy!

Stay tuned for the Blood Trailing video next!

15-Nov-21
That was intense! Great footage Jason

15-Nov-21
Great video. It’s hard to track those Lumenoks in the daylight when they’re traveling so fast. Way to get it done.

16-Nov-21
Great deer and story as well. Thanks for taking us along!

16-Nov-21
I’m in a remote area hunting this week so I’m going to wait until I can see it on the “big screen” when I get home.

I think your success was noteworthy not just because he is a great buck; or that you took him on the ground; but because you drew dead last; didn’t arrive until the second day and was hunting an unfamiliar area. Congrats again for taken us in the ride and the superlative harvest!

18-Nov-21
Thanks gentlemen. As promised here is the blood trail video following the hunt/shot video in the post above. Mark (Stringwacker) and Brian (bentstick54), way to earn your Grand Osage bucks as well!

I still have a doe tag in my pocket and trail cam video's to check on my private ground. Stay tuned for more hunting journal entries to come! Keep'on a Huntin! -CB-

19-Nov-21
Just got home and reviewed the video! Nice work and certainly adds a professional ending to your adventure. I really appreciate your time to put all of this together and letting us come along. I might also add I appreciate your comments on my 'other' thread and following as well! Good luck in the search for a doe to fill that last tag!

19-Nov-21
Great videoing Jason. It really adds to the thread. I’m still try to figure out a method to film myself, but fewer reasonable options for my kind of trad equipment haha.

19-Nov-21
Brian…maybe a GoPro with a head or chest strap might be the way to go when hunting with trad equip. Not sure how “reasonable" they are.....as they aren’t cheap.

I have a GoPro Hero 3 that I plan to incorporate along with my I-Phone attachment. Will be practicing with the use and operation of the GoPro on my upcoming doe hunts. If on my body, I expect it can provide a different and clearer perspective of the shot without the bow vibration.

19-Nov-21
Great deer and video!

19-Nov-21
Wowzer. That had to be a suspenseful, heart thumping wait to get that shot off. Way to go on a fine buck.

• Sitka Gear