writer 08-Nov-21
Westksbowhunter 08-Nov-21
writer 08-Nov-21
writer 08-Nov-21
Westksbowhunter 08-Nov-21
writer 08-Nov-21
Matte 09-Nov-21
04-Nov-21
I know WIHA cannot use motorized vehicles on them. What about a mt bike, NON electric? I called Pratt with this question and got transferred 5 times and ended up in a voice mail box with no call back.

Anyone know if it would be legal?

04-Nov-21

Bentstick54's embedded Photo
Bentstick54's embedded Photo
Inside cover of WIHA 2021-2022 Atlas

04-Nov-21
Foot traffic only.

05-Nov-21
If you see a sign that reads PIHA then you can. Stands for Pedal in:)

06-Nov-21
So if it is foot traffic only, why couldn't someone in Pratt tell me that?

Does that mean I can't use a game cart to get a deer out?

Can't use a pull behind golf cart to haul my ground blind, seat and decoy?

Doesn't seem so cut and dried. Wish someone in Pratt could have answered my questions.

06-Nov-21
I can’t answer that, other than I have had different answers from different employees in the past on other questions. The website shows 3 regional contacts for law enforcement, Hays, Topeka, and Wichita. I would specifically ask for someone in Law Enforcement in your region, and not talk to an hourly clerk on this sort of question. AND THEN, I would write down their name, and when you talked to them, if they say it is OK. Then if you get stop by the area CO, you can let him know that you were told it was legal. I have stop by in person at the Wichita office, asked similar questions but on different subjects and received 3 different answers, and 2 of those were from CO’s that happened to be in the office at the time. Seems to be some variance in interpretation of laws sometimes, so try to be able to back up any answer you get with some type of proof.

07-Nov-21
Did you ask for law enforcement or public lands.

A reader asked me the same question a few years ago. I got a quick “no.”

For some reason I’ve always gotten questions answered pretty quickly and accurately.

07-Nov-21
Did you ask for law enforcement or public lands.

A reader asked me the same question a few years ago. I got a quick “no.”

For some reason I’ve always gotten questions answered pretty quickly and accurately.

07-Nov-21
Pretty cut and dry to me. Good lord, just walk.

07-Nov-21
Reads pretty clear to me, take what you can carry while walking in. Key words “foot traffic only”

07-Nov-21
Mike, I did ask. And everytime I got transferred asked the same question. I was even transferred to law enforcement and they told me they didn't know. Got transferred again, this time to a voicemail that was never returned almost 3 weeks ago now.

I can walk just fine. An area I want to hunt has a oil road I could ride my fat bike on that would save some time for the quick after work hunts, being quiet and quicker. It is a long walk other wise. Never thought a simple question would be so hard to answer, especially calling Pratt.

07-Nov-21
WIHA=Walk In Hunting Access Foot Traffic Only I think the title of the program says it all. Not state ground at all. Now if the landowner gives you access to ride a bike or drive in, that is a different matter, I would assume.

07-Nov-21
Not allowed, unfortunately, West.

A friend near Marion had his pasture in walk-in, with a wonderful slough of flooded smartweed.

I had permission to drive in to coat the spot with decoys and panel blind. Game warden heard of it and was kind enough to warn me ahead of time.

07-Nov-21
Not allowed, unfortunately, West.

A friend near Marion had his pasture in walk-in, with a wonderful slough of flooded smartweed.

I had permission to drive in to coat the spot with decoys and panel blind. Game warden heard of it and was kind enough to warn me ahead of time.

07-Nov-21
Writer I got permission from a landowner to drive in on WIHA to recover a deer I shot in 2016 and the GW said it was okay as well.

07-Nov-21
Like I stated earlier. I’ve had situations of other issues where different COs interpret the meaning of the written word differently. Individual interpretation is just that until you take the ticket to court and the judge decides.

07-Nov-21
Land owner's permission trumps all on WIHA is what I have always been told ah but hell who knows.

08-Nov-21
Walk In Hunting Area, seems self explanatory to me. I suspect that if they allowed bikes, some would “pedal “ their E bikes till they got over the hill, and then turn on the battery. How could they enforce it? It’s no. Motorizes vehicles. Ks has one of the better hunter access to private land programs, let’s not muck it up.

08-Nov-21
A few years ago a CO told me that if the land owner told you that you could drive in you could.

08-Nov-21
Hmmm….always thought that’s what the W stood for in WIHA!!

08-Nov-21
Golly, gee. West, so happy for you!

The one I talked to copied part of the contract. Hauling in decoys maybe different than retrieving game.

08-Nov-21
Writer there are always people driving in on WIHA. Farmers, oil trucks, etc. I don't see how they can write a ticket if you have landowner permission. I can understand not letting you put out decoys, setting up stands and blinds, but for other things, no way. Some people have to have right of way just to get into their property. I hunt many a walk in that you have to drive on to access gates, etc for adjacent properties.

08-Nov-21
I didn’t insinuate no driving, of any kind, is allowed as per landowners, oil patch workers, farming neighboring fields.

08-Nov-21
I didn’t insinuate no driving, of any kind, is allowed as per landowners, oil patch workers, farming neighboring fields.

08-Nov-21
I would like to read and interpret the contract myself.

08-Nov-21
Go for it, West.

09-Nov-21
Well how is the weather looking for Bird Season? I am hoping yo be able to get out some.

• Sitka Gear