Joe Holden's embedded Photo
Entrance
Entrance
Exit
Exit
Yes - another one of those topics. But i had an interesting experience unfold last night. I shot a doe at 12 yards, slightly quartering away. When i saw the arrow hit, my first thought was, "Dead." Listening to her run, i did not hear her fall. Which i normally like but wouldn't be unusual in this area with more fields than i normally hunt. Giving time, i grabbed my arrow which did not have any blood on it, but rather a gut like smell. So what my mind was telling me and what the arrow showed were two different things. Picking up the blood trail, it was the correct color with "speckling" showing that she was blowing blood out her nose (lungs). The end of the trail ended up in a second arrow over an hour after initial shot. Here is the entrance, and exit of this shot. Currently, the only thing that makes sense in my mind is that the broadhead used was also used a couple weeks ago on a different doe with the blades being re-sharpened. I've done this numerous time before but can't think of anything else.

For reference, the setup used was a Prime Centergy @ 64lbs, 29.5" draw, 430 grain arrow with a Grim Reaper 1 3/8", 285fps

Is this just an anomaly, or could it be in part due to "dull" blades?

05-Nov-21
What did you find when you field dressed her?

05-Nov-21
It looks like a good quartering away shot entrance behind shoulder exit alittle bit more frontal.Are you questioning the lack of blood on arrow and smell?

05-Nov-21
did you get a pass thru or did the arrow come back out the entry hole?

05-Nov-21
Where is the the entrance and exit holes from the 1st shot?

05-Nov-21
Writer - it appears that the first arrow hit on-side lung and exited low through the offside lung with a nick to the back of the heart. The second arrow entered in front of the point of the shoulder on the same side. Hitting the front of the original lung, going through heart, and coming to rest just through the diaphragm. First arrow did not puncture diaphragm.

Habitat - I'm questioning how this deer was alive over an hour after the first shot and how there was a slimy residue with no blood on the arrow. The blood trail was ample but I'm surmising that my exit was just a touch low on the off side. I still am not understanding how this residue got onto arrow #1 when the entrance/exit stayed within the thoracic cavity.

Cherney - arrow #1 was pass through and laying in the leaves on the offside.

bentstick - those are shown. The entrance from arrow #2 is slightly visible in the first pic. Same height, just in front of shoulder with no exit.

05-Nov-21
Did she have an infected pocket under her skin anywhere? Probably too late to know. I hit a buck last year, only got one lung and he lived at least another month. Good blood trail for 400 yards...he was chasing a doe and never slowed down. It's crazy that some deer seem to be invincible and some seemingly die from a low pain tolerance.

05-Nov-21
I always advise against mechanical heads.

05-Nov-21
I see people get shot in the thoracic cavity all the time and they're walking and talking like nothing happened. Arrows do not deliver any hydrostatic tissue damage like a bullet, so weird things happen.

06-Nov-21
Same subject, different deer. Shot thru the right shoulder, shattering bone and of course breaking the arrow. When butchering the animal, we found that after shattering the shoulder, the broadhead never entered the chest cavity. Instead, it had turned up along a rib and ended it's journey in a neck vertebra just in front of the shoulder blades. Sometimes those broadheads have a mind of their own!

• Sitka Gear