CaptMike 18-Nov-21
Alwaysright 18-Nov-21
Live2Hunt 18-Nov-21
Alwaysright 18-Nov-21
Alwaysright 18-Nov-21
HunterR 19-Nov-21
05-Nov-21

Lrib's Link
https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/crossbow-hunter-arrows-typical-whitetail-buck-wisconsin/

05-Nov-21
At least it's a specifically a crossbow record

05-Nov-21
Sad.

05-Nov-21
Sad? Your a bitter jealous person to think its sad. Congrats to the bow hunter.

05-Nov-21
He's one heck of a crossbow hunter! So many pictures, wish he'd have one with his crossbow so we can see the set up. Plus, would love to see what kind of tree pegs. Got to get some of those as I've never had a deer lick mine.

That buck sure did like to travel or that is the largest 5 acre parcel I've every seen. Even after death, he continued to travel.

05-Nov-21
Now that’s a buck, way to show the archery world what weapon is boss.

05-Nov-21
Yes sad. Especially in a bow forum.

05-Nov-21
Well...at least he can score it in B&C where they list all kills to include pick-up and vehicle kills.

05-Nov-21
Its not archery related, but its got to be near the top of all time gun kills in the state. Magnificent animal...

05-Nov-21
Compounds are not archery related then either, get with the times, are you still using a rotary phone?

05-Nov-21
The gun it was shot with is now legal. Why does it bother you that it wasn't shot with a bow? Get over it already.....And as far as getting with the times, thanks but no thanks...And like I said, its an awesome animal which will rank near the top of gun kills....be happy for the guy...there's absolutely no reason to try and twist it into something its not.....

05-Nov-21
How can this be considered a record of importance when everything has changed so much ? The "Full Strory" IS AND DOES NOT GET TOLD ! Disregard the crossbow for just a minute. How many times has this buck walked by someone and they did not shoot it ? Nothing here to discuss or even consider interesting.

05-Nov-21
It’s an archery kill, either your dense or stupid to think otherwise

05-Nov-21
Wow... Your even more upset about this than I thought... I'm not understanding your anger. The guy shot the deer with a legal weapon during a legal season. He's certainly not trying to hide the fact about what he shot it with. Do you know him or something? Does he hunt near you? There has to be an underlying factor here that your upset he shot it with a gun. Chill man....If gun kills bother you, don't look at them. There's plenty of bow kills to look at if that makes you happier.....

05-Nov-21
It is a nice buck, but it is not a bow and arrow kill, it is a crossbow kill.

05-Nov-21
We’ll to be a crossbow record, yes it would have had to be taken with a crossbow.

Come on Missery!

05-Nov-21
Ha, keep thinking what is your own noggin is right, next you will actually believe the earth is flat, move on times change. I know it hurts to see unskilled hunters shooting giants with advanced archery equipment, it’s ok to feel left behind, you can get counseling for that.

05-Nov-21
Just to clarify, then he is not a bowhunter. Nice trophy, but diminished in the effort.

05-Nov-21
He used a xbow, not impressed one bit. Yawn

05-Nov-21
He got it done, just like many other trophies taken since the crossbow entered the archery season. How many of you he men use a rifle ?

Mic drop

05-Nov-21
Always Angry, Your jealousy is really apparent. Problem is your so emotional about this, its consumed you. I feel bad for you. Hopefully you can come to grips at least to the point that you can actually have a conversation about hunting without your jealousy taking over....Good luck man.....

05-Nov-21
I use a Hawken, but during the rifle season.

05-Nov-21
I think many here use guns, during the gun seasons.

05-Nov-21
Why would they use guns, it’s so easy.

It’s really not gun season, you can use lesser weapon, so actually it’s any weapon deer season.

05-Nov-21
Why in the world would a skilled archer stoop so low as to use a gun when the trusty old bow could do the same job. Mind blowing

05-Nov-21
An awesome animal that gets diminished only because it was killed with a superior weapon in a primitive weapon season. Yawn…

05-Nov-21
To me it’s only diminished because the Hunter didn’t know the buck existed until the neighbor tipped him off. No history with the buck and as much luck as anything. Much like the current world record whitetail.

I wouldn’t slight either deer as they are deserving of recognition. How they were taken is as Capt. Says. “Yawn”

05-Nov-21
What primitive weapon season do you refer to, I thought it had its own season?

Crickets on why carry a rifle in an any weapon season. I will use one of my bows during gun season, should be able to use my bow now to fill my tag during the 9 day any weapon season. No difference

06-Nov-21
Why even have different seasons, simply use whatever weapon you choose during one deer season?

06-Nov-21
Absolutely my point, 2 buck tags is 2 buck tags, why should it matter when you shoot them, nothing but a marketing tool for someone to profit off of.

06-Nov-21
I never realized the bow season could give a guy such an inferiority complex that he would want to get rid of it to make himself feel " equal"...... Man..... you have quite the mental circus going on in your head.....

06-Nov-21
Ha

Some of us don’t need to spend 3 months to shoot 2 bucks, when you master your game it’s really not that difficult, rules need to change

06-Nov-21
Especially when you shoot yearlings.

06-Nov-21
Lol you got the wrong dude.

Let’s hear how many of you he- man wheelie bow hunters are willing to leave the rifle at home and take the cheater bow out during the 9 day “any weapon” season. I predict not many, yet you bash folks that leagally use a superior weapon while you sit over your bait plot and illegal mineral sites

Hypocrisy at its finest, bunch of liberals.

06-Nov-21
The gun season has a rich tradition and heritage. It’s brought families and friends together for generations. I’ll be hunting with my dads rifle, Spending time with my son and grandson and enjoying every minute of it. It’s all what you make of it. Bow hunting I’m a solo hunter. Oh I share notes with my son and the kid. But we have our own spots.

Feel free to use what you want or just continue dwelling in your own greatness. I think I here your mom calling.

06-Nov-21
That is a magnificent Wisconsin deer we should take pride in that. The hunter according to the story did his part to "t". His scent control was on point and the weapon was immaterial. He would of most likely killed the deer with a xbow, compound, trad gear or even a spear.

The xbow he used gave him zero advantage in this case. Now if he plunked the buck with a 90 yard shot it would be a different story.....but guys are killing deer at that range with a compound now.

Great deer, great hunt and congrats to the hunter.

06-Nov-21
Always Angry, Let's recap your position...:>) First you want 4 months to fill your gun buck tag during bow season. You already have 19 days to do that if you count the single shot rifle season after regular gun deer season. Then you come back and say that guys like you are such a master at your craft :>) that you don't need 3 months to fill your tags. Lol!!!! Before we continue I have to ask, Are you sober???? Lol!!! I have to admit, your one of the more amusing trolls to come down the trail....:>)

06-Nov-21
Xguns give the same advantage as a gun, no movement.

06-Nov-21
I disagree he woulda got that buck with traditional equipment or a compund. Cause as soon as that buck saw him draw he woulda been outta there. Thats why we hate the xbow. And again if he was an old man, i have 0 issues with a xbow. But he was young.

06-Nov-21
It is a nice buck for a gun kill, congrat’s to the guy.

06-Nov-21
It is a nice buck for a gun kill, congrat’s to the guy.

06-Nov-21
It is a nice buck regardless if it is dead or alive, or how it might have been killed. The chosen weapon defines the hunter and effort, not the deer.

06-Nov-21
Reefer

I could fill my gun tag and still party hunt during the all weapon 9 day season, dads rifle ha , poor excuse for choosing an easy way out.

06-Nov-21
Btw

If you lazy arse wanna be deer farmers would get off your food plots and actually scout you would more successful, but I guess only crossbow hunters are lazy.

06-Nov-21
I guess all you guys that killed a deer with your compound or trad bow just got sh*thouse lucky the deer didn`t see you draw....no skill involved just pure luck. Sounds logical.

06-Nov-21
Serious question. How many of you on this bow hunting forum actually hunt with a scoped crossbow, be honest ?

06-Nov-21
MO, mark me down as a big “not me!”

06-Nov-21
Nope. But back to the buck. Beautiful buck and congrats on the kill.

I am not a fan of the extra hunters in the woods, but that’s the selfish me talking. As long as the tags are separate and the crossbow can be managed if needed in the future I am able to sleep at night.

06-Nov-21
Nope. But back to the buck. Beautiful buck and congrats on the kill.

I am not a fan of the extra hunters in the woods, but that’s the selfish me talking. As long as the tags are separate and the crossbow can be managed if needed in the future I am able to sleep at night.

06-Nov-21
No crossbow for me....but I could care less what other hunters do as long as it`s legal. I love seeing big bucks regardless of weapon used to kill it.

06-Nov-21
I hunt with a crossbow because of disability, not a back or something people make up to make themselves feel good disability, I don't think I have to explain myself to nobody, and a crossbow didn't make me a better hunter, nor did it allow me to kill deer easier, I still only shoot 25 yard's, I don't feel guilty because I shoot a crossbow,I feel guilty I'm disabled of no fault of my own, I was already a woodsman, I put 52 years of hunting in all across this country, the weapon didn't make me superior, the woodsman ship, the getting close, and out smarting a big buck made me superior, I don't beat my chest because I killed it with a bow, a rifle, crossbow, I shake with pride knowing I seen the white's of that deer eyes, maybe I killed it or maybe I missed it, but the pure excitement of being that close regardless of weapon is what drives me to hunting, if I lose that feeling I will quit hunting.

06-Nov-21
Always is protesting using a gun during gun season and a bow during bow season... And everyone keeps saying common sense is gone in this society.....

06-Nov-21
How many of you high on the pedestal real bow hunters use a rifle when you could use your favorite archery gear.

I know silence is like being convicted, how many are out there, I will be using archery equipment during the 8 day any weapon season. It is no longer gun season FYI.

06-Nov-21
From: Franklin 06-Nov-21Private Reply I guess all you guys that killed a deer with your compound or trad bow just got sh*thouse lucky the deer didn`t see you draw....no skill involved just pure luck. Sounds logical.

Most are shooting from a coop, but then pat themselves on the back for the “draw” lmao

06-Nov-21
We're all using "archery equipment" according to your definition....Lol!

06-Nov-21
Capt

What kind of rifle do you use for the 9 day any weapon season ?

06-Nov-21
Reefer

Perfect then we are all alike, and I am right again.

06-Nov-21
AR, your just a fricken simple minded idiot that posts crap to just get a rise out people.

I had half a book written and just deleted it all. You are NOT worth the time.

06-Nov-21
Again Ignore him. I foresee a separate crossbow season at some point

06-Nov-21
Yep tickle put your head in the sand when you lose.

Typical Libtard move.

06-Nov-21
I think you've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that your not like anyone on here. Not surprising since this is a bowhunting site, and your most certainly not a bowhunter, just an opportunist looking to push every easy button that society spoon feeds you....

06-Nov-21
Reefer

I doubt that you would be able to keep up, I am not a hypocrite so no I am not like anyone on here.

06-Nov-21
X2 retro!

06-Nov-21
Speaking of dense and stupid look who shows.

06-Nov-21
Oh still no intelligent responses on the 9 day any weapon season, what are the almighty Bowsite real bow hunters hauling in the woods in two weeks.

06-Nov-21
Could it be that your the only one on here that's worried about people using guns during "gun season"???? :>) Were more concerned about people like yourself using guns during bow season? You have already informed us of your incredible skillset....gun hunting during bow season :>) and I must admit that I have never gun hunted during the 4 month bow season so your definitely in a league of your own... I can only hope someday to be good enough to kill a deer with a gun in only a 4 month time frame... That's an incredible feat. I get overwhelmed just thinking about trying to do it....:>)

06-Nov-21
Reefer

Do you have permission from the rest of the sheep to respond as often as you do?

I feel bad for you having to take the easy way out and use a gun during the any weapons 9 day season but if that’s your skill set I guess there’s nowhere to go but up.

Obviously you need to step up your game,I hope your a young fella because it would be a shame spending your whole life doing something apparently you are not good at.

I will have a bow in hand keeping true to my roots, and not stoop to taking the easy way out.

06-Nov-21
My archery skills are limited, but I do the best I can....I saw a deer once......

06-Nov-21
That’s quite obvious if you are still hunting.

06-Nov-21
Lots of sympathy for the scoped and cocked, pretty obvious who uses what weapon. About what I thought. Anyone else care to comment, do not be shy?

06-Nov-21
MO, I think it best to just allow this obviously mentally handicapped AR guy to keep spilling his guts. He has already supplied enough nonsense to justify wrapping him up and making him lie down by his dog bowl.

06-Nov-21
MO, I think it best to just allow this obviously mentally handicapped AR guy to keep spilling his guts. He has already supplied enough nonsense to justify wrapping him up and making him lie down by his dog bowl.

06-Nov-21
Capt x2 :>) LOL

07-Nov-21
Well MO I use all three types of archery tools, but I will not stoop as low as a rifle in the 9 day any weapon season, so for Capt Buttwipe, Reefer, and Wonder Nob, I see they gave us their answer, but yet they are the mouthiest here.

07-Nov-21
You'll use a gun during a 4 month bow season, but you won't stoop low enough to use a gun during a 9 day gun season...:>) Now that's genius......

07-Nov-21
By the way, there's nothing like a cross gun hunter preaching about staying "true to his roots". I'm getting misty eyed just typing it....:>)

07-Nov-21
Hunters are an intelligent group, some piss in a scrape so deer can smell it, others in a bottle so they cannot.

07-Nov-21
Missouri, what about the hunters that piss in a bottle and then pour it on a scrape?

07-Nov-21
Never thought about that, we are more divided than I guessed. Male deer like female deer urine and female pheromones, but do they like male human urine as well as female human urine.

07-Nov-21
Now I’m curious too. Should I tell my wife why I need her to piss in a bottle or just let her think I’m weird?

07-Nov-21
Reefer

If you weren’t so dense, it is not “gun” season, it’s any weapon season that you have a personal choice on what to take into the woods to make your hunt as easy or as challenging as you want. Personally I could care less if you want to use the easy button and take a firearm, but I also can point out the hypocrisy of most here that spew bs on the crossbow hunter using a tool that is legal, and the over the hill gang here making themselves feel superior, and then they take a weapon that is 10x the weapon as a crossbow, with multiple shot capacity, because it’s “gun” season. Lmao

I used to argue with non hunters when they brought up that hunters were at the end of the line when brains were being handed out but now I know why that perception is out there.

07-Nov-21
Only have her piss in a bottle when it’s that time of the month, works every time.

07-Nov-21
I know why that perception is out there to. You have "hunters" on the internet who push the easy button during bow season and brag about it, and then complain about other hunters pushing the easy button during gun season. That could be the dictionary definition of "dense." You tell people to "get with the times" during bow season and then bitch because they don't hunt with a flintlock during gun season. Dense????

07-Nov-21
Calm down Reefer

You sound a bit agitated, it’s a beautiful morning out here in the woods, btw I do have my compound wheelie bow today.

Had a couple of dandy’s already go by that I could have filled my any weapon 9 day season tag with if these archaic rules were gone.

Tip of the day You should put the phone down if you want to shoot something.

Thougt I would help you out.

07-Nov-21
Name handle "always right"

Takes unethical 83 yard shots with with crossbow.

Says cannot get what you don't shoot at.

Gets caught using handle name "dirtball"

Has been caught using other handle names.

Probably just used another new handle name

Denies using other handle names.

Calls others dense LOL

Stupidity cannot reach him.

Has to be the only admirable trait.

07-Nov-21
PP is going to be upset with you Nob

07-Nov-21
PP is going to be upset with you Nob

07-Nov-21
You saw a couple deer? Did you go home and get the gun and wreak havoc on them with your "skill set"? :>)

07-Nov-21
No tag Reefer, but I will put the work in so I don’t need to tote a firearm during the 9 day any weapon season.

Because I am an archer.

07-Nov-21
Keep feeding him......NOT! Human pee. Mamal pee. Girl pee. Boy pee. Kid pee. Geriatric pee. Dog pee. Bird pee. But not reptilian pee. All mamal pee turns to amonia in 15 minutes. Every mammal. Pee is good. Our pee on scrapes is good. Also good for plants. Mucho nitrogen. Pee on your Tomatoes. (Diluted or too much amonia). Pee is pee. Pee again turns to amonia fast. Also. Fresh pee is clean. Sterile as it is expelled. Pee good

07-Nov-21
You and Capt enjoying the day today

07-Nov-21
Sure am. Beautiful day. Mike? He is probably hunting. I get back at it in the morning. But thanks for asking hey

07-Nov-21
Trickle, I am. It has been a heck of a show. Lots of deer chasing and movement throughout the day.

07-Nov-21
I got one day sit Mike then the second day they came to cut the corn. Only I'd say 35 acres. Which is is good except my the combine broke down halfway and that cost me (not as much as them) a day. All done now so back at it in the morning. I did see good activity the day I sat.

07-Nov-21
All our corn still standing. I am going on day 16 or 17 now. A few close calls but just not getting it done. But, I sure am enjoying it!

07-Nov-21
I had lots of activity up to about 9:15 and then nothing the rest of the day after it warmed up in Sauk County. Corn is going down quickly around me.

08-Nov-21
Still waiting on how many dedicated “bow hunters” will be succumbing to the easy use of a firearm in a few weeks during the any weapon 9 day season.

Challenge yourselves and put a little effort into it. Not the effort some like to boast on planting bait, but real effort and wear out a pair of boots. You will thank me for pushing you into being true archers.

08-Nov-21
I will be using my Hawken .54.

08-Nov-21
For the traditional 9 day GUN season that falls at the worst time to hunt whitetail deer after the BRUNT of the rutting activity is done and MOST deer do not move much? Yes, I will have my rifle and wander throughout the Cheq. Ntl Forest. Why? Do you hunt with a gun during the what was a bow only season that was set for limited kill during the most vulnerable time in a whitetail bucks life? I do, and with a recurve. Why?

08-Nov-21
So you are making to easy on yourself using a firearm which you like to say is gun season but changed along time ago to the any weapon 9 day season.

08-Nov-21
What? no time for your nonsense.

08-Nov-21
Yes, when you lose an argument, just ignore it and leave

Next time you bash a crossbow hunter look at what you use during the 9 day any weapon season

08-Nov-21
I use a gun during the 9 day gun season, you use a gun during the archery season. Loose and argument about what? It is the gun season, I hunt public land with other gun hunters during the worst time to hunt whitetail deer, what are you trying to say, you should get a pat on the back because you use a lesser gun during the gun deer season.

08-Nov-21
No, I am an archer that many of you claim to be, but are to dense to accept change

08-Nov-21
Why the hell do any of you give this guy time? The back and forth conversations always read dumb. You can't make sense with people like that. This guy needs a serious mental health evaluation. He just ain't right.

08-Nov-21
It's a gun with a bow mounted on it. Your not an archer, your a x-gunner. You hunt with a gun during what was an archery season that is now a joke. Some of us choose to use a bow still during it as some chose to use a bow during the gun season.

08-Nov-21
Your also talking to a guy that takes 83 yard shots at deer. The kind of guy that shoots at anything that moves because you can't kill what you don't shoot at.

Hes not an archer. Even crossbow hunters wouldn't want this guy classed into their category because most crossbow hunters have real ethics and respect the animals. This guy has no respect for people and no respect for the animals.

08-Nov-21
your right Noc....Hes more proof of the mental health crisis in this country. So many delusional people living in their own make believe reality....

08-Nov-21
You folks are as divisive as our politics in this country, and will be the cause of hunter drop off.

Then you crotchety old farts die off and hunting will be a memory.

I was in the pool. Lol. Next time know your target.

08-Nov-21
Ain't that the truth Retro. Its really sad.

08-Nov-21
Gritty, now go and lay by your bowl. Such a shame you have nothing to do other than to talk stupid on the Internet while waiting for your monthly welfare check.

08-Nov-21
Capt BW

I think you stole that phrase, there’s no way you came up with that on your own.

08-Nov-21
So sad, archery heritage is gone. 70% registered with xguns. Dude needs his man card revoked and a lifetime supply of tampons. Robbed legit archery hunters and gun hunters of a chance. So either no scopes on 100 yard xguns or 1 buck/hunter, any weapon, anytime. He should be ashamed. Total vajj.

09-Nov-21
Archers have the longest season of any group, archers even weaseled their way into adding the day before gun season and during the any weapon 9 day season. What a bunch of whiners. It’s only you that chooses not to get with the times and convert to the tool to make you more successful.

It gets tiring hearing about you excuses and why it’s someone else’s fault why you can’t kill a deer anymore, get with the times and go buy a tool that has become the future in Wisconsin deer hunting.

Start a new crossbow deer camp tradition the first week of November, the 9 day any weapon season has been dying for along time, well before crossbows.

Time to move on.

09-Nov-21
How is Wisconsin trending in the annual P&Y entrees. Going up, down, or sideways?

09-Nov-21
Jake, (or Alwayswrong as you go by now), where did you come up with Archers complaining about not killing a deer? Is that your thing, hunting is all about how many you kill in a year? Makes sense, since you probably went to an xgun because you could not kill them with a bow or kill enough with a bow. Your idea about deer hunting is pretty sad if the only thing your concerned about is the kill.

09-Nov-21
L2H, spot on. The deer is the participation trophy. People like him and other able bodied crossbow users do not relish the hunt, they only need the photos and the ability to brag. The countless pics of the mighty hunter and his deer are almost void of any weapon.

09-Nov-21
The deer herd was once protected. The closure of the week before gun season was one measure. Now it's 4 months of winner take all.

09-Nov-21
Prostitution is legal in NV but is it right, enough said.

09-Nov-21
Nothing wrong with a little xtra advantage, rather see a hunter make kill with a xbow than wound with something else

09-Nov-21
Wizard, you obviously do not understand the concept of a primitive weapon season and the additional length a season like that affords the participants.

09-Nov-21
Cap, they don't think about conservation of a resource, protection of a resource at a vulnerable time, or the hunting experience as a whole process. Just how easy and how many they can kill. Pretty sad. Wizard is evidently one of them also with that comment.

09-Nov-21

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
RUGER1022's embedded Photo
Jjs , no one here would ever visit a house of prostitution in NV. All right who put this Tee shirt in my closet .

Wiz. We don't want to ban Crossbows , just shorten the season because they are so effective .

09-Nov-21
The tipping point has come, technology has surpassed the primitive weapon standard. Xbows capable of repeatable 100 yard shots, Range finding scopes, stored energy, and popularity have driven up harvests and success rates. If you’re able bodied and 18-59 years of age and use a Xbow the season needs to be adjusted for that group. What’s fair? I don’t know, but something needs to be done.

Ya, ya compounds can shoot 100 yards also. But it takes months if not years of shooting to reach that competency to repeatedly hit the designated targets.

A rookie that has Xbow and just a basic understanding how it works can repeatedly hit the target.

09-Nov-21
The deer population was plummeting why before crossbows were even legal to use by everyone in Wisconsin

09-Nov-21
I disagree mjf.

My main argument before about Xbows was the three years leading up to the crossbow inclusion bow hunters recorded record buck harvests. I asked about where was the concern then? The quest for a season adjustment was premature at the time. But it has reached the level now where I will join the ranks and agree an adjustment is needed for able bodied 18-59 year olds. Youths 17 and under and anyone 60 and over can hunt under the archery season frameworks.

09-Nov-21
a Ravin 29 launches a 410 grain bolt at 450 fps. and can hit a half dollar@100 yards every shot, with no practice at all. KE=187 ft. lbs. thats more accurate than a scoped slug gun. 25 years ago Mn. was a top PY state until they moved the gun opener into the rut now they rank 19th. sad to see the able bodied go the easy route or fake a shoulder injury and get a medical exemption.

09-Nov-21
Capt BW

I assume you use only a recurve , no sights, no release, no food plot etc. etc.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

09-Nov-21
The main argument is this. The scoped crossbow is a greater weapon, allowed to be used in a season designed for a lessor weapon. It is over, no turning back.

09-Nov-21
Gritty, never before felt the need to justify myself to a blowhard POS. Still don’t.

09-Nov-21
Just watched a youtube video on the Ravin 29. That is insane! Putting aisde the woes of crossbows during archery season, that is one impressive piece of crossbow engineering, it sounded pretty quiet as well

09-Nov-21
Putting aside the woes of crossbows during archery season. I thought I heard you say that you use one sometimes? It's a I do or I don't. I hit the easy button or I don't. Pretty black and white. It is sad what the season has become. There is only one true bowhunter left in my neighborhood, the rest have taken the easy road. The state land by me is loaded with x=gunners every weekend. Yes I have driven by to see what they are using. My road looks like a highway on the weekends. Road is 4 miles long and only has 4 permenant res on it. Archery season is starting to look like gun season on the public around here. Sad times for a lesser weapon season.

09-Nov-21
Yup I got a crossbow and have taken 2 deer with it, not hiding that fact at all. Although only one of those was with an archery tag. The other was during muzzleloader season with a firearm tag.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them banned during archery season for those who are physically able to pull a bow.

I will also be hunting sun-up to sun-down during rifle season with a bolt-action, but if I had my way, there would be no rifle season!

09-Nov-21
I see nothing wrong with rifle season. It has it's place. I would rather see it the way it was with rifle season used as a traditional hunt and a management tool. Instead of a superior weapon (x-gun) in a season when bucks are most vaulurable. Jmo which means nothing.

09-Nov-21
I could count on one hand the amount of deer my uncle and cousin shot with a bow. Now they have xbows and fill their tags each year. Cousin's son, at the age of 12, just shot his 11th doe with xbow in the past 3 years. It's obvious hunting with a xbow is as difficult as a bow;)

As for the record buck, I'd rather have seen it shot with a gun during the 9 day season than with a xbow during a season when it is most vulnerable. At least with a gun, the hunter is dealing with other hunters with guns and the rut is almost over.

But congrats to the guy.... maybe next time he'll take a photo with his weapon. Or maybe he's too embarrassed

09-Nov-21
Xtrout, +1

09-Nov-21
Yes I should of clarified my statement. I think rifle is obviously a great management tool where deer are overpopulated. But in places where the deer are struggling, I'd love to see the season end. Obviously that's a pipe dream.

I can only speak to around me, but we can rail on crossbows all day long, but at the end of the day in 9 days, 3x(?) more bucks are taken in Vilas with a rifle than with a crossbow over the course of a few months, so eliminating the rifle hunt would go a lot further towards having better deer hunting than eliminating crossbows.

Of course crossbows keep trending up, so my tune there will certainly change one day.

09-Nov-21
Most guys on this forum use and endorse the scoped and cocked crossbow. Having a compound or stickbow in your closet does not make one a bowhunter.

09-Nov-21
Doesn't that make you a "closet" bowhunter? :)

09-Nov-21
I know several hunters who only use their stickbows or compounds for doe hunting, using their scoped crossbow to fill buck tags. Are any of you such a creature?

09-Nov-21
Missouribreaks you can send digs at me all day! I've taken two true big woods public land deer with a compound this year. They are a spike and a 2.5 yr old doe , and I'm proud of both of them. No bait, no food plots , no ATVs. But yes, a release and a sight pin

09-Nov-21
Nope, not here. I have been eligable to use an x-gun since 2010. As long as I can still draw my bow, I refuse to.

09-Nov-21
Grow up

09-Nov-21
I never mentioned you Vilas, I asked a simple question to the audience. Sorry you took it wrong.

09-Nov-21
3x(?) more bucks are taken in Vilas with a rifle than with a crossbow over the course of a few months, so eliminating the rifle hunt would go a lot further towards having better deer hunting than eliminating crossbows. How many of those 33% of bucks are taken with the x-gun before the does are bred? I know that hunting the bigwoods has had a serious decline of deer over the years. Many factors have caused that. Just wondering how much the x-gun will continue to contribute to that.

09-Nov-21
I did take indeed take it wrong. My apologies as well!

09-Nov-21
Firsty, Way to contribute to a discussoin. If it bothers you there are other threads on here. Nothing wrong with a discussion, I don't see anyones feelings being hurt ,except maybe yours?

09-Nov-21
He doesnt contribute but only when his feelings are hurt. If I had to guess hes a perfect recipient of today's young crossbow hunters.

09-Nov-21
My thoughts too!

09-Nov-21
I mentioned the huge population decline in an article back in 2011 way before Xbox’s were introduced.

09-Nov-21
Capt BW

Who is this Gritty guy you keep bringing up, he has done a number 2 between you ears lol

You don’t need to justify yourself to anyone, we all know your type way to well.

09-Nov-21
Actually I see many more older folks carrying a xbow, the younger started and then were shamed into going back to at least a wheelie bow, I believe many get lazier as they age.

09-Nov-21
MJF, I understand this has been going on for a long time. Wolves, doe tags, winter severity. I don't have the knowledge of the area like many of you do. I am just curious if adding another factor in the mix will hurt it even more. I don;t have the answer to that. Just asking the question.

10-Nov-21
I remember my grandfather who passed away in 1971 talking to my father that just bought a brand new Winchester 308 "what do you need a scope for". Some of those old-timers thought scopes were unsportsmanlike when they became affordable and popular for deer hunting "too easy they said". Just look at those old deer hunting photos, rarely did you see a scoped rifle most were all iron sites. So adding another factor in the mix? the answer is yes it helps, it has been happening slowly for years as technology evolves for any weapon, its put in place to make it easier, whether hunting with a rifle, vertical bow, xbow, clothing, game calls, treestands, all of the above. The most dangerous weapon right now is the people in power making the decisions.

10-Nov-21
But, a rifle with a scope is still a rifle. We are talking 2 totally different types of weapons and one operates totally different than the other. One operates like a bow and one operates like a gun?

10-Nov-21
L2H, absolutely! Of course there will always be technological advances. How those advances are used is what defines a person. That some people will not admit the obvious differences only serves to point out the laziness and hypocrisy of those using the crossbow during the archery season. These people are opportunists with low morals and standards.

10-Nov-21
And hunting legally, some illegal activity is not defined by the weapon.

10-Nov-21
And hunting legally, some illegal activity is not defined by the weapon.

Now you are talking your own language. As a known hunting violator, you are quite the hypocrite. Nothing worse that a violator trying to come off as a hunter on a bowhunting site. You are a complete disgrace to all hunters.

10-Nov-21
"L2H, absolutely! Of course there will always be technological advances. How those advances are used is what defines a person. That some people will not admit the obvious differences only serves to point out the laziness and hypocrisy of those using the crossbow during the archery season. These people are opportunists with low morals and standards."

Once again, the gospel according to Cappy!

10-Nov-21
Pay attention oldguy, even an old dog can learn new tricks. Well…. Maybe!

10-Nov-21
Evidently only some technology used by only a certain group of hunters count. Can’t make this stuff up lmao

15-Nov-21

Boomer1's Link
Oh boy

15-Nov-21
Can’t deny it is a heck of a deer!

15-Nov-21
It baffles me,...I do not understand,...

How is it that some adult, intelligent, considerate, well-spoken and well reasoned members of this forum (whom I have in many ways come to mostly respect) allow themselves to be drawn into a verbal pissing match with the likes of some of the low-life characters who have come to frequent this forum?

...to the good guys, don't soil your thoughts or your reputation dealing with those presenting narratives from their tainted perspectives. Let them be, and let them wallow in their own personal cesspools,...they won't be able to swim forever and will eventually drown in their own mess.

15-Nov-21
Case - That is one great post.

15-Nov-21
Blah blah… blah blah blah

15-Nov-21
Great post Case, did somebody hear something?

15-Nov-21
Everyone here are grown men, if you don’t like opposing view points, don’t respond, don’t read it, or ping the moderator and feel good about censorship

Your choice.

15-Nov-21
Alwaysright. Against my better judgement I'm responding to you. Are you retired? Nothing to do all day? Disabled? You post 24/7 constantly. And mostly dribble. You just like raising crap to see how much response you get is that not correct?

15-Nov-21
Well if you guys don’t want to learn anything I guess I won’t try to help you out anymore.

Mostly dribble??? Have you read some of the hypocrisy and fantasy land stuff here??

15-Nov-21
Yes please, no more advice

15-Nov-21
I'll take the hypocrisy and fantasy land stuff any day. And if you don't like it don't read it don't respond etc...

15-Nov-21
How about go out and hunt instead of sit on here 24/7 with the sole intent of stirring pots

17-Nov-21
Still enjoying archery hunting with my crossbow here. Recently I added a laser rangefinding Burris OracleX scope on top. You know basically the same thing as the Oracle and Xero that the vertical guys now use, minus magnification which doesn't really add much to the equation. Hows everybody been?

17-Nov-21
Dpms

What kind of range do you have with that set up?

17-Nov-21
Always right, It really hasn't increased my range as I prefer shots at game at 40 yards or less. The advantage is a single aiming point and no need for a hand held rangefinder.

17-Nov-21
DPMS, you may be enjoying crossbow hunting but you are definitely not archery hunting. Carry on, it is your fantasy...

17-Nov-21
I love every minute I am in the stand with my bow archery hunting. Flinging arrows from a bow that derives its energy from bent limbs and cams. Been doing it for 30 plus years with many different types of bows. Its all good to me.

17-Nov-21
Dpms

Yep a bunch of chest thumpers will try and beat you up on that, keep holding your ground and don’t let the sheep bully you away.

Best thing is they do the same thing except a different form. Lol

But in there world that’s ok, many will be toting a rifle this weekend Lololol

17-Nov-21
Been in this game way to long to let haters bother me. I keep doing what I keep doing. Promoting hunting.

17-Nov-21
Again, they come on to a BOWHUNTING site and start there dribble. Yes, it is a hunting site, but for BOWHUNTERS!! What don't you understand? Go onto the xgun site and flame away. Unless your someone who has to use one, we don't want to listen to you. You have no skills as a bowhunter if you are and able person, so you went to the easy button!!! dpms, which are you? Jake (alwaysright) was on here years ago stirring S#$t up and drags all his types with him. Stay somewhere you belong, we talk about shooting bows, setting up bows, tuning bows, and hunting with bows here, not xguns.

17-Nov-21
Dpms

What kind bow do you have? How much drop do you have at 40yds?

What’s the poundage?

17-Nov-21
LOL, bow!!!

17-Nov-21
Live2hunt said; "Stay somewhere you belong, we talk about shooting bows, setting up bows, tuning bows, and hunting with bows here, not xguns."

I don't own an "xgun". Sounds like something from Star Trek. I do own and hunt with several crossbows. Did I say I love bowhunting with all types of bows, including crossbows............ Do I have "no skills" when I kill a deer with a compound or is it just all of a sudden I have "no skills" if I use a crossbow?

17-Nov-21
Something from star trek? yup, they sure do look like something from there.

17-Nov-21
"No skills". Thats a pretty telling angle to use. As if only those that hunt with longbows, recurves, or wheelie bows are the only ones that have hunting "skills", lol. Desperation move. Some of the best woodsman and women out there are primarily gun hunters. Its kinda funny that ones "skill" level all of a sudden changes depending on what they choose to take to the woods with them that day. Do people really think that angle is worth any serious thought, lol.................. As a said before, its a sign of how precarious one's footing actual is when that is the angle they have to use.

17-Nov-21
Dpms

It would be easier to define bow hunting with a rock.

These old dudes will tote a rifle this weekend but are “true” bow hunters to the core lmao

17-Nov-21
Alwaysright, to answer your question about which crossbow I am currently using. two right now. A SYKD VIndicate XVC. #185 limbs. 380fps. Drops about 18 inches at 40 yards with the arrows I am using. And a Ravin R26. #340 limbs. 400fps. Drops about 16 inches at 40 yards.

17-Nov-21
Didn’t say anything about hunting skills, i said shooting a bow skill. Killing a deer before and during the rut with a gun is easy. It’s all about the kill right? Easy buttons are made for that, correct?

17-Nov-21
Most guys on this forum hunt with scoped crossbows, little resistance to the movement.

17-Nov-21
Live2hunt said: "Didn’t say anything about hunting skills, i said shooting a bow skill. Killing a deer before and during the rut with a gun is easy. It’s all about the kill right? Easy buttons are made for that, correct?" I have killed plenty with vertical bows. They are easier than traditional equipment but harder than crossbows. It isn't all about the kill for me. I passed up 7 legal bucks this year and haven't shot a doe yet, even though I could have plenty of times. I even sat in some treestands with no bow of any kind already this fall even though I have tags. As far as "easy buttons" it is all relative. A laser rangefinder is using the easy button instead of estimating the range. Climbing a tree is using the easy button instead of shooting from the ground outside of a blind. Using a release is the easy button instead of learning to consistently release pressure from your fingers. Using a compound is using the easy button instead of learning to shoot self bow. Using a crossbow is the easy button instead of a compound. Who cares. Use what you want and use the equipment that you want. Using a crossbow is easier than using a compound. As long as the hunter is satisfied with the harvest who the heck cares.

17-Nov-21
I you truest have respect for your quarry, you should use the most accurate weapon legally possible.

17-Nov-21
Yes Jake, don't work on your skills, don't put effort into anything, don't get gratification of accomplishment, right? The easy button solves all of it. Do you guys wonder why Pat has no xgun adds, sponsor's, category's? Why do you think that is? Maybe it's a bowhunting site?

17-Nov-21
Releases, food plots, wheelie bows, cellcam ads

Yep no easy button here

You need to go back to the herd, PP can’t hardly stand it by now.

Haven’t you got the “message” yet?

18-Nov-21
Gentlemen, it is 8:20 AM, do you know where Jake is? Probably In his treestand bowhunting with his Tenpoint Siege.

18-Nov-21
Ravin r29

18-Nov-21
"do you know where Jake is?" Yes, probably sitting on his deck with his JOKEBOW mounted on a tripod thats screwed into the railing. Or, shot himself in the foot again.

18-Nov-21
Live2, that was hilarious. What makes it funny is the high probability that it is true!

18-Nov-21
What rifle caliber are you boys using this weekend. Boom lol

18-Nov-21
LOL, Jake, Hello!!! it's the 9 day traditional gun hunt that has been around since before an archery season was enacted!!! Boom!!!!

18-Nov-21
Just because it’s easier you ar not required to use a firearm in the 9 day any weapon season, a true bow enthusiast wouldn’t be caught dead with one

18-Nov-21
I believe the xbow was actually around before firearms if you want to go down that path

19-Nov-21
Nice buck, no doubt about it. I notice the guy that got it is a wdnr warden. Obviously there are way more scoped and cocked crossbow lovers and enablers than we know of, probably one hiding behind every tree. They're absolutely everywhere. The sky IS falling.

• Sitka Gear