Thornton 06-Nov-21
bentstick54 06-Nov-21
Thornton 06-Nov-21
Thornton 07-Nov-21
Thornton 07-Nov-21
Thornton 07-Nov-21
06-Nov-21

Thornton's embedded Photo
2 miles away, 4 does are on their feet feeding.
2 miles away, 4 does are on their feet feeding.
Here I sit, hunched over a spotting scope once again. Not much moving and there is a truck parked where the big ten was last night. As far as the guy is from the trees, I can only assume he saw the buck this morning and is trying a stalk.

06-Nov-21

Stopped by a pond on the way in and after about 5 minutes, found the hole they were laying in out in the middle. Caught 7 bass and 1, green sunfish in about ten minutes.

06-Nov-21

06-Nov-21

One of the bass had just swallowed a big field mouse. His belly was lop sided and the tail was visible in his mouth.

06-Nov-21

06-Nov-21

My all time favorite, the hand sized green sunfish.
My all time favorite, the hand sized green sunfish.
I carry a collapsible fishing pole in my truck at all times for spur of the moment fishing trips like these. I didn't know I was going fishing until I parked next to the pond to begin my hunt.

06-Nov-21
That's a fatty! I'm goin fish huntin tomorrow!

06-Nov-21
How are you two going to kill those big bucks if you keep getting sidetracked? Lol

06-Nov-21
I love hunting fish! That's the whole reason I got SCUBA certified back in 04', so I could shoot fish! You've got to pace yourself. I've spent an entire season chasing a big buck, and everything suffered, including my mental wellbeing, which suffers anyway on a good day lol.

06-Nov-21

Ended up seeing 4 does and an 8 point come out of the area I hunted yesterday. Couldn't make it there in time to see how big he was.

06-Nov-21

I was maneuvering into position to take a pic of a coyote sitting on his haunches, enjoying the last warmth of the setting sun, when I noticed this young 8 point across the valley.

06-Nov-21

Coyotes fired up and it was time to go. Waxing crescent moon tonight, and the hunting should only start to get better gentlemen.

06-Nov-21
Oh, believe me, I understand. A guys got to have a bit of variety for sure. I enjoy seeing it all. Just wish I still had your stamina.

06-Nov-21
I have to stay active. I work 7 days a week all summer, working ER and mowing yards. Then, I hunt all fall and winter, and work 3 days a week. If I stop doing things that interest me, I lose my mind and get depressed. I will never retire.

07-Nov-21

If I put this much effort into my deerstands, I'd have nice deerstands...
If I put this much effort into my deerstands, I'd have nice deerstands...
Day started off a bit rough. Wind blowing from the south and 78 degrees. I decided to sleep in and knock a tree job out with the nephew. Started at 1030 and ended at 315. We were hauling a load to the dump site, when a 130" 9 point ran from the ball diamonds, past the dog park, and into the woods, mouth gaping, at 1 PM. Until then, I was looking for an excuse to not hunt this evening and get caught up on oil changes.

07-Nov-21

As soon as we were finished, I drove home, got my gear, and grabbed a shower to get rid of the sawdust. I drove the 20 minutes to the pasture with the pond that I sat a few weeks ago, where I had also seen several big bucks in early season scouting. I had my bow secured firmly on my pack, and was walking up the fence line, when I looked up and a huge buck was running full bore at me from a ravine! I immediately threw my pack off and began unbundling my bow. The buck ran by me at about 50 yards, mouth gaping and he never slowed down. I do not think he even saw me. As he disappeared over the hill, he slowed down and I saw the tell tale split brow tine of the same heavy racked 11 point I jumped a month ago. Dumbfounded, I wandered over to a hedge and ate a can of Louisiana sardines. I was trying to figure out why the buck was running so hard, with nobody driving around, and no does. 20 minutes later, I got my answer when this young buck wandered by at 85 yards. I could see 2 does up the ravine where they both came from.

07-Nov-21

I decided to stay in the creek bottom, and sat on some old cottonwood trunks while listening to a varmint whittle away on something in the trunk. He sounded like a woodpecker in the tree. At dusk, I turned around and this young 5 point was sniffing around, probably trying to figure out why the tree smelled like sardines.

09-Nov-21
Lots of excitement and variety, good for you.

• Sitka Gear