>>>--arrow1--> 30-Nov-21
Pete-pec 30-Nov-21
Bowtech007 08-Dec-21
MjF 08-Dec-21
SteveD 08-Dec-21
vilascounty 08-Dec-21
Stumpshooter 09-Jan-22
12-Nov-21
Before I start, I'm fully aware that some of you are absolutely disinterested in technology, so please avoid being triggered by this post, that was posted on the internet, that you are looking at from your computer or cellphone lol.

I just wanted to give my review of Tactacam Reveal. I love them! I cannot say I've ever killed a deer by patterning them from a camera, nor have I killed one from my couch. Point is, cameras are there for inventory, and at best, the catalyst to get you in your stand. In other words, you still have to be on stand, and you still need to make a good shot, when it presents itself. I just wanted to let those who have decent cellular coverage know, that you'll probably never use the old cameras again if you make the switch. I personally have the camera take a 5 round burst, which sends me the 2nd photo taken. The rest of the photos are stored to the chip. You can take videos, but those are also stored on your chip. I've reviewed some of the chips, and you certainly see far more, when you look at all the pictures. I was worried about cellular coverage, because I'm US Cellular with my cellphone plan, and the camera I bought is Verizon or AT&T. All said, I have great coverage, which you're able to check from your app. This also includes battery power as well as signal strength. At 110 bucks, you just cannot go wrong. An unlimited photo plan costs 13 bucks a month, additional cameras cost just 5 bucks more. Pretty cheap in comparison to what you can spend in gas, and what intrusion will cause you while you check cameras. So far, I've had the cameras in since July, and batteries are still 100%.

I figure this kind of information beats the popups at the bottom of the page, because this is an endorsement that I don't get a penny from, unlike Pat does lol. So if you were ever curious, please take the plunge. Nothing like waking up in the morning, or getting a notification that you have a new photo on one of your cameras. At $110 a piece, there is no decision to make in my opinion. Have questions? bring it. While I type this, I got a picture.

12-Nov-21

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Looks like a two year old says he endorses it as well. Ironic!

12-Nov-21
Pete-pec I have Cuddelink’s and also love them, I do have the regular cameras and still put them to use. Cell coverage is spotty where I go but if you get in higher elevation areas they will work, even if they don’t have cell service they can leap frog back to the home camera and that can be placed for easy access so you don’t intrude on an area you want to hunt. Me and a friend placed cameras before the heavy foliage was even out in the spring. Changed batteries once

12-Nov-21
MjF, yeah, I'm sure brand isn't that important, although I've read the reviews, and for a low cost camera, this brand got extremely good reviews. My buddy has Cuddy link and had to, because he's in the hills of Richland Center, where service is lousy. He bought Tactacam and found out he's able to get good coverage, except for those deep pockets.

12-Nov-21
I could buy two tactacam cameras for the price of one cudde. You got me thinking now lol

12-Nov-21
That's the best part of my review. I read the reviews, talked to many fellow hunters and friends nationwide who absolutely love the return on the investment. I have a friend who lives in Washington who runs 30 cameras with his brother, who sold it to me. Another who is a stone cold killer that lives in South Carolina who said do it! There was such a demand, that you couldn't find a used one for 200 bucks on ebay. They finally got caught up I see, because you can find them again.

12-Nov-21
Thank you for starting this thread as I have really been contemplating this. About how long do your batteries last? Anyone out there using solar for their cams? Also, isn't there just one fee with the cudde regardless of how many camera's you're running?

12-Nov-21
Justin, I'm sure the brand of batteries matters, temperatures, types (rechargeable or disposable), as well as how many pictures it takes. Perhaps even if the camera is roaming (not sure it does) will affect battery life? I've had them in since mid July, and they are still 100%. I can turn off the plan at anytime. Solar wouldn't work for me in the dense canopy I have mine in, and I'd bet overall, batteries would be cheaper in the long run. I'm unfamiliar with any other brand. The only reason I brought it up, is tech can intimidate people. I was very reluctant to give it a whirl, but their IT group replies almost instantly with your questions through chat. A ton of YouTube videos to assist you through any of it. Overall, nothing to be worried about. The only thing that might scare you, is service, and Verizon has been just fine where I am here in Southern Wisconsin. All said, that might not be the same case in the northern tier of the state, which is certainly spotty for my cellphone, (if that is any indication)? I also thought I'd have to buy a plan through my current provider, and that's not the case. If USCellular was available in the Tactacam, I would have bought that particular model. In other words, each camera has it's own provider, and currently that's AT&T or Verizon at this point.

12-Nov-21
There are different packages but yes it ends up to be one fee, I pay $20 a month for 750 photos, now when I have those cameras over bear bait stations I get the unlimited for $40 per month. Sounds like Tactacam is a much better deal

12-Nov-21
I have two Home camera set ups, one is ATT and they other is Verizon, where there is cell reception both companies work just fine, now 5 years ago it might have been a different story

12-Nov-21
Also I found out something interesting last year hunting in an area where I had no cell service on my phone while on the ground but when I climbed into my 15ft high tree stand I had service so I placed my Cuddelink home camera up in my tree stand and it worked sending me pictures from the cameras that were placed on the ground.

12-Nov-21
Good idea MjF

13-Nov-21
Pete, are you using the Reveal or Reveal X? Not sure what the difference in the two are. I'm running a Spy point Micro lte right now. Bought it for $60 on sale. Unlimited pics for $15. Thus far it has been awesome despite all the negative things I've heard. My brother uses the Spypoint link (turns your average camera into a cell camera via a SD card swap) Really enjoy using the app and all the features it has. Anyone running Spartans?

13-Nov-21
Using cell cameras but don’t like a scope on a crossbow, just can’t make this stuff up.

13-Nov-21
Out of 5 Spypoints, I have 2 left that are working. When they work, they're good. Unfortunately, every few months something happens and I spend lots of time with their support. The first question they ask is "Do you have the camera in hand? " Drives me nuts. The whole point of a cell cam is not having to go in the woods to check it frequently. 3 of my buddies also own them and 2 of them have had the same experience. The 2 current cams I have the company sent brand new as replacements. So, at least that was a plus. Too bad I've been jacked around trying to get another since I've had problems on and off since the Summer with it. Due to the frustration, I got a Tactacam Reveal. Very clear pictures and I get reception in areas I couldn't with the Spypoint. The video mode they have for setup, where you connect to the wifi feature on the camera itself, is pretty cool. One of the other 3 guys just got one and ordered another right away.

13-Nov-21
After reading reviews etc I’m definitely going to invest in a few Tactacams next year

13-Nov-21
I'm using Reveal GoJakeGo. I've got friends using the newer model, and I don't think there's much of a difference? They do co-mingle, so I don't see there being an issue. I've heard bad things about every brand, but I have no personal experience with any others. I was warned heavily against buying both Spartans and Spypoints. Browning was at the top of the list of my friends in North and South Carolina and Georgia, but they run reveals based on price. Browning being a bit more expensive. Either way, I've been happy. The true topic is less intrusion and inventory taking for me, and it's pretty cool getting instantaneous feedback when you get a notification on your phone. Will it help you kill a deer? No, but it will still allow you to see what's happening at a spot you chose in the woods.

13-Nov-21

Oleduckhunter's embedded Photo
Oleduckhunter's embedded Photo
My wife got me the reveal X for my Birthday. It’s working well and It’s fun to get the alert that you have a new picture. Here’s my Halloween visitor on it.

13-Nov-21
Got a feeling that Arizona and Montana with the camera shutdown other states may follow suit. Wisconsin? Do you consider cell cam and trail cam pics to be fair chase? I personally do not.

13-Nov-21

smokey's Link
Just putting this out there. P&Y and B&C position on Cell cams. Also, I think Arizona and Montana had a much different situation than Wisconsin. That being said, a lot of Law Enforcement people I talk to would like to see them banned.

13-Nov-21
Im really torn on this one. I love my cams, however i dont use cell cams. The one thing that has really bothered me, I've had 2 people tell me the only reason they went hunting that day was because their cell cameras were blowing up and they had to get to their spot. If not for the cell cams showing the action they wouldnt be out there. I dont plan on getting any. I enjoy the surprise of checking the sd card. And i dont need instant pics of the ongoing action.

13-Nov-21
Good for P&Y

13-Nov-21
Impossible to police on private lands, the same cameras are used for security and trespass patrol. Same with Drones. Public lands is another story.

13-Nov-21
P&Y is blowing smoke, they have absolutely no way to monitor their rules. I agree with their position, but it is totally meaningless, and pure subjection.

13-Nov-21
I've measured my deer for people who wanna know, because it's just one of those questions asked, but I've never cared about inches. I would never register a deer through any of them. The real truth is, we all have different perspectives, and different measures of ego, but we all have some sort of ego, or we'd never consider the idea of antlers as important, and Maslow's hierarchy of motivational needs proves it. What I find ironic, is how someone cares that P and Y has a level of concern, but still measures the antler lol. In other words, it's just an individual point of view that makes each and every one of us different. I've yet to kill a particular deer, because I got a picture of it. There's a far greater chance connecting on a deer when you put boots to the ground, binoculars to your eyes, and your ass in the stand. Good luck hunting the way you hunt, with whatever you hunt with, and how you get it done. You're all better off than the turd who sits at home and complains about it, and has not one speck of acknowledgement of the topic at hand, which compromises most people in today's day and age.

13-Nov-21
Can't police it I agree but there are alot of folks who do follow the rules and laws

13-Nov-21
My thoughts are cell cameras make a lazy hunter even more lazy. I dont see an issue with getting some exercise and going for a walk to change cards.

13-Nov-21
Exercise….. that’s what fitness centers are for, parks, walking trails etc. Take a walk in the snow, look at all your tracks, to a deer, that’s what they smell, all that human scent, they eventually figure out danger is lurking near by when you venture into an area multiple times and will avoid that area or become nocturnal, besides why give two hoots what other hunters do.

13-Nov-21
Pete-pec, well said.

13-Nov-21
I agree with trickle, cell cams are not fair chase.

13-Nov-21
But, if they are legal!!! Have you ever heard that one before?

13-Nov-21
Smokey, I use them very similarly to how you use your drone, or Joe Blow uses his truck and binoculars, or his camera he has to pull a chip from, or someone else reads the woods and wears out the tread on his boots. It's just a tool to gather inventory. Hell, I love being surprised just like the rest of you. Give me a place to hunt, and the host with more intel than me, says sit here. I'm sitting there. I have the best luck relying on that. Of course your host wants you to sit in the best spot, but he knows far more about the place your hunting, than you will on day 1. Glunker, I'm absolutely happy that someone got off their rump, and got outside, because their camera lit up. It still doesn't mean they will see, or deliver the shot on that mostly nocturnal animal? If a club has rules and you want to disobey or lie, then you are hunting for the wrong reason. If your entire intent is to kill a buck to measure it's girth or length, then take a moment and look down. Never mind, your wife has already taken that score lol. Man has, and always will "measure" themselves against fellow mankind, because we have, since the beginning of time collected bone, feather, and teeth. These adornments were to tell another man we are at least equal, perhaps better? The whole time it was to attract a mating partner through our prowess. If you don't like what is legal, change it. If you don't like how someone hunts, then choose not to. If you don't like cell cameras, then judge me as inferior. The only thing I'll say, is even through every single bit of intel we choose to heighten our odds, we still need to be out there. We still need to make the shot. We still need to kill the animal. The most ironic thing about people who judge others for their limitations by using modern advantages, is they drive a new vehicle, use synthetic warm clothing, hunt from a treestand, type on their smartphones or computers, look at the wind and the weather on an app, and kill with a weapon that far exceeds the prey they are choosing to kill. Get over it. You're not that special, nor am I.

I do have to mention, that I just smoked up 100 pounds of some Boone and Crockett summer sausage though! The judge is me, because you'll likely not enjoy the spice I added.....or the wood I used....or the smoker I used.....or something else lol. Meanwhile you've relied upon some store bought piece of shit brand of sausage as your litmus test lol. I kill deer for the chase, and the meat it provides. The bone is just icing on the cake I promise. Also, the deer I killed this year, I never seen him before. A friend and neighbor who has over 100 pictures of him (all cellular) has been hunting him for 4 years. He came by to see it, and was genuinely happy that I got him. We talked on the topic. I asked him if he has ever killed a deer by using his camera? His answer was short but sweet. No, I used my bow, arrow, and broadhead. I think he's a very clever person.

Be safe, and good luck to you all.

13-Nov-21
I like Pete Pecs post that I included below.

"There's a far greater chance connecting on a deer when you put boots to the ground, binoculars to your eyes, and your ass in the stand."

13-Nov-21
Personally I find using a trail camera to hunt to be unethical.....don`t even get me started on cellular cameras. I find them more offensive than a scoped crossbow.

Just like the dreaded xbow.....the DNR wants deer dead by any means necessary. Pretty soon we are going to have Bouncing Bettys or landmines to hunt deer.

13-Nov-21
It’s only a problem if you don’t use what is being discussed.

13-Nov-21
I've been looking at cell cameras lately. I also hunt 70 miles from home, work 40hrs a week including every other Saturday, love fall muskie fishing, and have other commitments. Just because I get a picture sent to my phone certainly does not mean I can head to my stand. That deer could be miles away before I could get there, and we all know that bucks do travel far & wide during the rut. I'd just enjoy seeing what might be there the next time I can get to my stand.

13-Nov-21
Cell camera pictures are not sent out immediately to your phone, on average it’s usually 1hr before you get pictures, at least with my cameras it is.

13-Nov-21
My MoultrieMobile cameras will send me photos within a few minutes of taking the pictures which is handy as I use them for security cameras in the off season. Walmart has some right now for $62.00 that use Verizon only. Wish they had them for ATT as that works great for where I use the cell cameras.

13-Nov-21
Those using Tactacams, if you use your camera on the no delay setting please pay attention to the seconds sometimes minutes in between pictures. I placed the two side by side. Simply receiving 5 pictures to 1 was missing to much for me.. Using Tactacams you don’t know what your missing. While I do not like the new Moultrie Mobile cameras the old W40i cameras hooked to an MV2 modem are the best out there for pictures, battery life, and reliability.

14-Nov-21
I suppose it depends on what part of the state you are in, how many pictures are being transferred, and cell coverage (cell towers) which would determine how fast you would receive pictures.

14-Nov-21
Most cell cams immediately send pics to your phone. My friend can request a picture from his phone and within a minute the camera takes and sends him a picture. He'll use it as he's walking to his stand to make sure he doesn't spook any deer

14-Nov-21
After reading the responses here I’m inclined to believe cell cams are more of an advantage than crossbows, helps those that don’t know how to read sign I guess.

14-Nov-21
As someone will say, there has always been progress in hunting. Nothing wrong with sitting on the couch until the cameras fire, then running to your plot and lining up the crosshairs. Just progress, so it is fine. Why worry what others are doing, lol,lol,lol.?

14-Nov-21
I’m waiting for the camera mounted gun to hit the market for the masses, and it will be the fault of those buying this cheater garbage.

14-Nov-21
Why go out if they are not moving MO, time better spent bagging a few hundred panfish that your buddy sent you a text and gps cords for, so you can hit the water and try out your livescope/ pan optics.

14-Nov-21
MJF,, I have tactacam cameras A helpful tip,,,, use it or not. My son in law is a tech gugru for Graco .. and has found a interesting way to boost the signal W/O climbing a tree. He went on line and found several external antennas with long cords. One stands out above the rest and is reasonable. We take a gray piece of 10 ' pvc pipe and cut it in half. We then glue a coupler to one end thread the cable through both halves and attach the antenna to the top end. For carrying you now only have 2, 5 foot pieces. When you get to the spot connect the two halves for a 10' piece. You can then bungie cord the pvc to the tree and connect it to the camera. We have found the areas with no signal will go to moderate maybe poor which will work. Poor signal goes to moderate or strong and moderate will go to strong. I have areas that I can't call from but the camera works W/O the antenna. I will post a pic if you want and if I get to the camera. Edit,, You can cut the pvc down to shorter pieces and add couplers to equal 10 ' for a back pack.

14-Nov-21
Sounds like more garbage in the woods, the red neck condos are a bad enough eyesore on the landscape.

14-Nov-21
arrow1.... sounds interesting, will look into it.

14-Nov-21
Neat idea >--arrow1--> Rather ingenious. You should capitalize on that antenna concept. These cellular cameras are eventually going to replace the old models as the cellphone did to the home landlines.

14-Nov-21
I don’t use cameras for hunting. I just never got into it I guess. We do have a spypoint camera set up at our deer camp just to see who shouldn’t be there. It uses Verizon, and sends pictures immediately. Seems to work well.

14-Nov-21
Pete this thread is golden. How is the trigger speed with these Tacacams?

I'm having a difficult time understanding dbl lung? Is he talking about trigger speed or cell cam setting?

I may purchase a few after reading this thread.

14-Nov-21
Noc. They are good on trigger speed. Good luck finding them . 119.00 is normal hard to get . Archery talk has a thread with hundreds of posts.

14-Nov-21
Some use them correctly. But I know of guys that have 20 or more and use to decide when/where they hunt - I just know or know of many folks that use them unfairly IMO I can't condemn as they are legal . But based on quite a few stories I do not think they are used ethically as they don't represent fair chase to me. I do not use myself for this reason

14-Nov-21
Speed is very fast. I'm not sure what he's describing? Perhaps a setting I'm unfamiliar with? What I know, is my camera setting is on five picture burst. I'm not sure if there's a second delay between each snap of the shutter, but it is quick. I receive only the 2nd picture of that five round burst, and the other 4 (1, 3, 4, and 5) go to the SD card. The video setting will again send you a picture, and the video goes to storage.

14-Nov-21
Arrow- i noticed this just now lol.

Thanks guys

14-Nov-21
Mark

You are correct, and for those that say it doesn’t help them while in the field are liars

You can’t convince me if a cell pic text is received from a known spot while hunting that direction does not get your immediate attention.

Not fair chase, might as well hunt a fenced game farm.

14-Nov-21
Yeah arrow, they're in such demand they can be tough to get. I'm asking for 3 more as stocking stuffers. Every time you get a notification, it's like opening a Christmas present. They're awesome set up on gametrails. I believe when used on a stand site, they can be detrimental to that particular area. Call shy, decoy shy, rattle shy, and camera shy.

14-Nov-21
Well like with many other “tools” out there to aid the hunter I guess the cheater cam does make up for many “shortcomings” a hunter is lacking.

14-Nov-21
Sheel's has them in stock. Free delivery.

14-Nov-21
I believe Cabelas does too

15-Nov-21
A lot easier to order online , you can pick up some pink camo at the same time.

15-Nov-21
You have to check with scheels, cabelas, and others, last time scheels had them, 800, they sold out in one day.

15-Nov-21
I wore a pink hunting vest two years ago to honor one of our hunting friends wife who passed away from breast cancer, she loved to hunt & fish

15-Nov-21
Everything is sold out may have to wait till next year, try to buy some Blackhorn 209.

15-Nov-21
Bought 2 tacacams last night at their regular price.

15-Nov-21
Sounds Great Ryan. I hope you enjoy them as much as much as (almost) everyone else does.

15-Nov-21
It should help you be a better hunter, then you can wean off of them when you learn the craft.

15-Nov-21
The last time I was at Scheels they had a very large Tactacam display with a healthy supply of Reveals. Price was $119.

15-Nov-21

Pete-pec's Link
Exactly what they're priced everywhere. I did find them for 80, but I'm very skeptical of the company and price reduction. They offered protection, because you could purchase it through PayPal. My buddy ordered a couple, so I'll let him be the Guinea pig first lol. Search oafwitn

https://www.oafwitn.com/product/oafwitn-tactacam-reveal-x-trail-camera-verizon/

15-Nov-21
Novice you are correct.

15-Nov-21

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Always

I have several 10 oz. jugs of 209 that I could share one or two but you come off as such a Richard that I just don’t care to help. To many people now days don’t understand that for every action there’s a reaction. Positive or negative that’s up to how you carry yourself.

15-Nov-21
Thanks Drop

I’m good for this year, got one dialed in I think I can use the Hoyt on.

Have enough for my Iowa muzzy hunt in January, just hope they catch up for next year.

15-Nov-21

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
Here is the antenna some have pmed

15-Nov-21
It is 16.00$ on Amazon

15-Nov-21
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

15-Nov-21
Just ordered 3 of them, I will try it out this Friday see if it works in the area I can’t get camera service

15-Nov-21

MjF's embedded Photo
MjF's embedded Photo
Already have the antennas, they are smaller then I thought. Thanks for the tip arrow.

15-Nov-21
How did you get them the same day?

15-Nov-21
Amazon has a huge warehouse where I live “Twin Cities”

16-Nov-21
I C , took us like a week.

16-Nov-21
I agree with Pete on the Tacticam Reveal been using over a year with 0 problems great battery life and fun to use. However the link to the discount cameras oafwitn looks like a scam. Lots of bad reports when I googled them.

16-Nov-21
Not trying to be a Debbie downer but I have recently come across fb hunting threads stating the new Tactacams miss a lot of pictures compared to old gen 1 cams. Exactly what brought Spypoint down. I'll get screen shits if these posts if I can.

16-Nov-21
Huntperch, I agree. It looks suspicious, and I'd bet they are a scam.

GJG, I hope it's not true. I've not used the new cameras yet, but friends have, and I haven't been told anything negative as of yet? I just hope it's simply bad press.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

16-Nov-21
Screen shits? No thank you lol

16-Nov-21
The Reveal did seem to be more sensitive that the Reveal X. Not even close to as bad as spypoint in my opinion. Hopefully that is something they address with newer versions. I run cameras from summer on and I still think it's worth it to get 80% of the information from the Reveal X and not disturb the area versus getting 95% with a regular cam and have to go in and check the card. I see they have a couple newer versions and maybe that was addressed. I also don't like how it only sends one picture from a burst as many times that can be the butt of the animal. No cam is perfect though and I like them again that I would purchase again. I recommend using the card they recommend and lithium batteries. The lithiums are of course pricey but they last all year no problem.

16-Nov-21
Been a lot of screen shits on here lately.

16-Nov-21
Easy fix for slow cameras. I just set the camera up high and parallel to the trail they are using vs broadside to their trail.

18-Nov-21
Arrow those antennas work great I just got up to bayfield county set them up in an area I couldn’t get service but now I do, thank you for the great tip

18-Nov-21
Almost all were from you.

18-Nov-21
Thanks for the feedback MjF. I wish more people knew about these, (and thanks for sharing Arrow), because I'm sure most of these guys thinking it's too easy, simply lack cell service. My father in law will be pleased to hear about this. The simple fact that someone will use a trail camera, but thinks the cell cam is cheating, lacks the fundamental concept that people use them to improve their hunt by not encroaching upon the deer by leaving their ground scent, but can still gather intel as far as inventory. One simple SD card pull can put deer on edge. I used to see it with my old cameras. I would check the camera, and no pictures for days.

18-Nov-21
I didn’t have time to do the pvc pipe so I tide the antenna cable on a fallen 10ft oak branch, leaned it up against the tree where the camera is mounted, I had rubber coated wire with me and securely strapped it to the tree. Very pleased it works. I’m using Cuddelink cameras which leap frog each camera so you can use up 15 cameras, in the spring I’m going to do some experiments with the cameras and antennas and see just how far of a range I get before the signal fails.

18-Nov-21
MJF, would love to hear your results next year. I’ve ended up buying extra Cuddelinks to put in between some that are just too long. I get a signal, and pics do eventually transmit but it is very slow and eats up batteries much faster.

18-Nov-21
MJF, would love to hear your results next year. I’ve ended up buying extra Cuddelinks to put in between some that are just too long. I get a signal, and pics do eventually transmit but it is very slow and eats up batteries much faster.

18-Nov-21
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for longer range between cameras

28-Nov-21
Just want to bump this thread and say how nice the reveal is. Easy to set up and now have 2 cams hanging already. Good thread Pete

28-Nov-21
Yes Nocturnal, I will be running 5 of them next year. I'm going through SD cards to see what I missed, and there sure were some dandies in velvet that all but disappeared. Cannot blame camera intrusion on those that found homes in other places though.

28-Nov-21
How did you miss them? Just not sifting through your photos as thoroughly?

28-Nov-21
No, I'm only getting picture number 2 of the five round burst. The camera takes pictures so fast, that sometimes I'm getting a blank sent to me, while number 1, 3, 4, and 5 are stored to the SD card. Hence the reason I was looking at my remaining pictures. There were many great pictures that I wish I had seen while I was collecting intel. The best part about these cameras, is they don't absorb batteries, and can be left alone for the entire season and earlier. My battery life was at 90% when I pulled my cards. I put them out July 7th. The batteries were alkaline copper tops. I had several nice bucks apparently chasing a hot doe, and I had no idea they were there. Fact is, my tag was filled, but I wouldn't have known that particular spot was loaded with so many nice deer. Rolling through the four other pictures, there were deer there, I didn't know of. I wish every photo came to my phone. There's nothing like getting that notification that something tripped the camera. By the way, nice bald eagle! My best photo was a coyote at night with a rabbit in its mouth. It's not just about killing a deer.

29-Nov-21
Ahhh... yeah, that makes sense. Thanks Pete and what you last said I agree. I also have a bunch of cameras but I think browning cams take such a nice photo and they are usually my go to for hanging them for unique shots like the eagle.

29-Nov-21

Alwaysright's Link

29-Nov-21

Alwaysright's Link

29-Nov-21

Alwaysright's Link

29-Nov-21

Alwaysright's embedded Photo
Alwaysright's embedded Photo

29-Nov-21
Noc, I'm told Browning is a better camera by all my friends who use both. Of course the price is higher, and if you're on a budget and shopping for a reliable, fair priced camera, the Tactacam Reveal has the highest reviews. Like I said, I'm running 5 next year.

29-Nov-21
Tactacams are really nice. I will definitely purchase a few more by next season.

29-Nov-21
I have two Brownings and they are flawless and tell me that my others are less than with missed pictures. I was thinking on going to Tactacams as my MoultrieMobile cameras crap out but “saw” (LOL) the same complaint on them with the newer ones with missed photos in some reviews.

29-Nov-21
Pete, Noc Hunters always talk about scent control, intrusion into areas, spooking mature bucks, the cell cams are perfect for those situations etc

29-Nov-21
I only had one camera and it was stolen this year. I don't use them because I hunt public and mainly hunt mobil on current sign (can't find much of it this year). Do they attract deer for killing? Do they kill the deer easier? No.

29-Nov-21
Exactly MJF

29-Nov-21
Thanks L2H. You nailed it. MjF exactly why cell cams have an advantage, and very little beyond that. It's like this. If you wear warm clothes, can you sit longer? If you hunt from a tree, you less likely to be detected? If you have food, water, and shelter, is it likely better hunting? I mean I could go on, but ultimately, we are creatures of comfort, and since the beginning of time, we've been more and more creative. Is technology advantageous? Certainly. Is there too much? You bet. Killing deer is something done by the weapon however, and that is (in my opinion) the most obvious place to look. Even if you have real time photos coming in, it does not mean you can go in undetected and strike your fury. I must say that my sole intent for using a camera is the fun in knowing a nocturnal beast is lurking the woods after hours, because even with the low impact cellular camera, most pictures are of deer in the dark. Deer perhaps walking through from land waaaaay further away than any one of us is hunting. Seeing them during daylight happens (most often) early season while still in bachelor groups, or during the rut. Even then, completely random, and I'll suggest to anyone deciding when to hunt, DO NOT wait on your cellular cameras to say when. Be in the stand, and off your couch as often as you can at the most optimal times. If anyone puts more ass-time than me in the stand, I'll applaud their efforts, because it suggests they are focused on the now instead of the then, which is in fact any camera on the market....including instantaneous cellular cameras, because if you are stealthy enough to move in on a deer, even in a minute's time away, you should consider another hobby. I'll suggest ninja or bloodhound, and for anyone that thinks otherwise....well, you're a fool.

29-Nov-21
"If anyone puts more ass-time than me in the stand, I'll applaud their efforts." Pete that goes to my favorite saying and a quote that keeeps my ass off the couch and the tv unplugged all season. "You can't kill a deer from your couch".

Except for my plumber who has tagged a buck walking thru his backyard right outside his living room twice in the last 5 years! I dare not utter the weapon he uses, though.

Pete, I agree it is no easy task to ninja up on a deer. I certainly have tried. I did get within 50 yards of a doe this year before being busted, though, was pretty cool. Granted I was scouting and didn't have my bow. They seem to know when I have a weapon... I will say though, that if you know a deers bedding or feeding area and the trail they use to get between them, you could put a cell cam on the trail and then set up where you think they are likely going.

For example, I patterned a doe this year that would walk from a swamp edge about a mile to a roadside patch of green roughly twice a week using a heavily worn trail. If I had a cell cam at the start of that trail, I could speed over to the roadside patch and tag them. In reality I couldn't, because it's an hour drive away, but you get my point!

I would also agree on the fun aspect of cameras. I honestly have almost as much fun pulling cards as I do hunting. I check cameras once every couple weeks and coming home with a pocket full of SD cards feels like a kid at christmas. Love seeing the occasional monster buck on camera. It really shows that I'm not being careful enough with my entry/exit, because I never see those big boys on the stand.

29-Nov-21
Shoot Vilas, it's not easy, and the guys doing it consistently are good at what they do. They are in fact sacrificing so much time and effort, that they're lucky they have women at home who understand that during deer season, their loyalties are about deer, and less about them lol.

I literally live across the street from the farm I hunt. Well to be honest, I rarely would consider hunting right across the street, but likely 5 minutes from my stand. Let's see, picture of old mossy horns comes in. Shower, dress, pack your bag, drive over, walk in, dress in the stand etc. Perhaps 30 minutes if you're real good? How far can you walk in 30 minutes? How far can a deer walk in that same time? In other words, I'm probably the closest to that awesome opportunity, and quite frankly, it's almost impossible to take advantage of that real time photo. Could hunters be putting a camera on a trail that leads to a stand they are in? Well sure, but what advantage does that really give you? Have your bow ready, because old "split G2" is coming! Well first off, that's pretty gay, and if you're hunting, and not ready to kill an animal, I'd work on that skill long before buying a cell cam to make you a better hunter lol. The people who cry about the lack of fair chase of cellular cameras, use an advantage or ten that someone else will whine about. I'm not too invested in how dinkweed does his hunting. Why? Because this dinkweed is doing his own, his way, and if I ever thought my way of hunting aligned with everyone else, than I'm a bigger idiot than the grandest idiot that exists, and we all know what a dipshit he is lol!

29-Nov-21
You make some very good and valid points delineating that timeline . You joke about having a camera alerting you that a deer is on it's way to you, but I can't tell you how many times I've been busted because I was daydreaming and didn't notice a deer walk up in a thick area and never got a good chance to stand up and draw. As you said, I should probably work on that skill!!

Granted the deer here never seem to follow "the trail", "the trail" is usually a nighttime route. Early season I was set up on an old small trailthrpigj really, really thick swamp cover. The trail is artificially raised up so it's out of the swamp. Was set up on a small shooting lanes in the thisk swamp patiently waiting, when all of a sudden the buck I was after snuck up behind me, not on the trail I assumed he would use. It was pretty neat, actually, I was on the ground in a hastily constructed blind and he got to within about 3 feet to the left of me and then got suspicious. By far the closest I've physically been to a deer that hadn't been shot or arrowed. A doe came up behind me and snorted, and they were out of there.

Arrowed him two weeks later in a nearby hardwood patch. I had actually been busted that buck/doe pair a few times and they never relocated. Goes to show the difference between young and mature deer.

29-Nov-21
Stalking Deer is a great challenge .It's not that hard if you know exactly where the Deer is . But it takes hours.

Most of our Mule Deer hunting when I lived out west was spent glassing for hog mules. Finding one & planning the stalk . 2 of my best Mule Deer were 4 hour stalks.

I stalked white tail Doe about 50 years ago & touched its tail . Sent the info into a Club called " To touch a Deer " somewhere in the northeast. Got my certificate somewhere .

29-Nov-21
I have always wanted to go out west and hunt Mule Deer. The idea of hunting without sitting perfectly still in a tree stand is very appealing and honestly feels more like "hunting" to me, whatever the heck that even means. I just can't wrap my head around sneaking up on the deer within bow range. I know obviously people do it succesfully, as you mentioned. But unless I'm walking in a swamp or on some very wet leaves. Every footstep seems like 1000 decibels with leaves crunching, twigs snapping.

I need to learn to be more sneaky and not such a clutz.

How much distance did you cover in those 4 hour stalks?

29-Nov-21
"I stalked white tail Doe about 50 years ago & touched its tail" When you can do that to a Firle... then I will be impressed, a few years back I was inches away from tickling its toes but it winded me.

29-Nov-21
The object of fair chase is to plan/ fool/ your quarry by beating them even though their senses are much better than ours, if you want to do it with technology well have at it, but it’s not fair chase.

30-Nov-21
Always,, HAHAHA (; is putting up 14 stands on 642 ac fair chase ??????? sounds like a lot of garbage in the woods.

30-Nov-21
Thanx Mjf and Pete-pec,,,, I'm home now and as soon as I get the wife's list done I'll being starting a thread on various camera tips. Some will save you money... >>>---->

30-Nov-21
So now we need to include tree stands to the unethical practices arrow??

30-Nov-21
Always ,, your the one that wants to dictate what is ethical or not.... You post about garbage in the woods and then put up 14 stands in 642 ac... OH wait do as I say not as I do.... Sounds like sleepy Joe. Mask mandate and then seen in a store without one HAHAHA.....

30-Nov-21
Yes, you should be ground level when hunting whitetails to make it fair chase. Arrow looking forward to the camera tips.

30-Nov-21
Mjf,, I ran cameras this year from Wisconsin to northern Alberta. So I'm always learning new tricks and camera care. Last night was the first night at home since late august,

30-Nov-21
I love sitting in the ground and do have a few spots set up as well ghilly suit is the cats behind, no redneck condos, gotta have a little variety though to improve ones woods skills.

30-Nov-21

Alwaysright's Link
Interesting read

30-Nov-21
Unethical behavior from what I get from the article is all base on who's sitting at the table or writing the article. Some don't like cameras and I do agree there is a thin line using them and some call urine scents unethical. "" The use of things like smoke deer, urine, artificial salts, and chemicals to lure animals has been banned. """ WHERE does it end.....?

30-Nov-21
To some degree cameras actual save some deer. I know of a lot of guys ( me included to some degree ) that hunt cameras for the monster. Rather then just hunting. I've found and heard many that get that one daylight picture of Mr big then hunt that spot never to see him again or he goes nocturnal. I agree the more you check a camera the more scent and disruption you place in an area. Again cameras saving deer. Or proof to use a cell camera to limit the disruption. Again all depends who's sitting at the table and how they want to spin things and look at any equipment.

30-Nov-21
I have some trail cameras that I put out from time to time during certain times of year. But I have no desire to have 20 cameras out and know every single deer in my hunting area by name. I prefer to leave a little wonder in my hunting. I know guys whose whole hunting approach is based on cameras. No thanks! Boring..... To each there own... Cell phones drive me nuts... I have enough people texting me, I sure as hell don't need a bunch of cameras texting me all day long in addition.... lol!

30-Nov-21
"" I have enough people texting me, I sure as hell don't need a bunch of cameras texting me all day long in addition.... lol! "" LOL I Agree (: and I have some cell..... (:

30-Nov-21
I agree with you guys, many times I just leave my phone at the ranch.

30-Nov-21
I agree that as much as cameras might help take a deer, they also save a lot of deer as well. I think of two deer I passed this year early season because I was waiting on one I knew was lurking. I ended up having an encounter but couldn't make it happen. I know many people that wait for a specific deer and it never happens. Meanwhile, many respectable deer cross their path and they get shot with nothing more than a cell phone.

Pete, I agree with you. If you can get a pic from a cell cam, know that deer is going to stick around or where he's going and get out there and shoot him then you are pretty lucky. I don't see that happening all that much. Just because you see it on facebook a few times a year doesn't make it a huge issue. Hell, I see all these monster deer on facebook and it makes you think you are the only one on earth who didn't tag out yet! Please guys............. Tell me I'm not the only one!!!!!

30-Nov-21
Big Eight, you are the only one who didn't tag out, and every awesome hunter here got it done lol. I didn't tag out last year. Guess why? Because I had a true 180 inch deer on camera. Yep, three nighttime pictures of a giant, and he alone, saved the lives of several others. I'm not even a trophy hunter, but when you see a toad like that, it challenges your perspective.

30-Nov-21
I’ve never walked into a woods and felt I needed a picture to believe a giant is near.

30-Nov-21
Big Eight, any new cooking videos? I thoroughly like the show.

30-Nov-21
Darrin really does make good videos.

30-Nov-21
Pete-pec I know what you are talking about...... Darn Cameras LOL

30-Nov-21
:-)

08-Dec-21

Bowtech007's Link
https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/utah-considers-wireless-trail-cam-ban/

08-Dec-21
Like always...Hunters are Hunters worst enemies

08-Dec-21
Technology unabated is and will be the hunters worst enemy, count on it!

08-Dec-21
Holy crap, people were actually selling trail cam data!!!

09-Jan-22

Stumpshooter's Link
These folks see trail cams worse than crossbows as fair chase

• Sitka Gear