Big Dog 14-Nov-21
steve 14-Nov-21
Gene 14-Nov-21
Corax_latrans 14-Nov-21
Coondog 14-Nov-21
JohnNWCT 14-Nov-21
Corax_latrans 14-Nov-21
13-Nov-21
As we approach wednesday I am still looking to purchase a lever action rifle in a typical deer caliber .... Cosmetic condition not very important, just function 100 percent...anyone have a reliable lever action for sale at a reasonable price...?

13-Nov-21
No but I love my 35 Rem took a bear with it here in MA.

13-Nov-21
You should look for ammo first....then a rifle to match

13-Nov-21
^

The ammo shortage is still hindering gun owners. Even if you find ammo, it’s going to be at least 3 times more expensive as it used to be. You also might be better off looking for a bolt action. Lever actions are not as popular anymore and are more bought for nostalgia, making the prices higher because they’re made more flashy.

13-Nov-21
I’m SO disappointed that I never acquired a Marlin 39A… they’re going for pretty serious money these days. But I think I’d be willing to swap my 77/.22 stainless for one in good condition.

Guess maybe I shouldn’t let go of any of my .45/70 brass, huh??

13-Nov-21
I bought a rifle this year because I couldn't find sabot slugs. Last time I saw any was March of 2020.

13-Nov-21
I bought a rifle this year because I couldn't find sabot slugs. Last time I saw any was March of 2020.

13-Nov-21

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
I love my grandfather’s Savage Model 99 in .308 and still hunt with it every year. Will never sell it. Good gun if you can find one.

13-Nov-21
One of the all-time classics. Gotta appreciate that one even if it’s not your cup o’ tea from an aesthetic standpoint.

14-Nov-21
Brooklyn, beware of older Browning lever actions (BLR). Many had lousy trigger pulls (too much creep) that even gunsmiths couldn't correct. I know that from experience. I'd prefer a bolt action with a crisp trigger pull and a scope . First shot is the best shot .

14-Nov-21
Good morning everyone and thank you for your feedback very helpful information.

14-Nov-21

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
Love my Marlin 30.30

14-Nov-21
Big Dog is right about the Browning BLR. I have one and a gunsmith did improve the trigger. But still not great. However everything else about it is awesome. Especially the fact that it is a .308 Lever Action. I am used to the trigger and would never sell it. I have killed a pile of deer with it.

14-Nov-21
Jerry, true, but once I got used to a gun with a sweet trigger and then went back to the BLR I found it problematic. Probably more a reflection on my poor shooting ability.

14-Nov-21
While visiting my 94 year old father on Memorial Day weekend , he handed me a Winchester Model 94 that he picked up somewhere. As he handed it to me he said " Go kill something with it". The serial number says the gun was made in 1898. I am planning on using it here in Louisiana and hope to lay the hammer down on a deer or hog with it.

14-Nov-21
I still have my fathers model 94 Winchester I shot my first deer with it in Vermont ! About 1969 .

14-Nov-21
I have my fathers Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. It’s my favorite gun to shoot. One day when I have enough money to just blow on anything, I’m going to buy a Marlin 1895 classic in 45.70. Just to have it. I’ve shot one before. It’s pretty awesome.

14-Nov-21
I had a Marlin in .444. It was a nice gun. Sold it to a buddy and watched him knock down a bull moose with it. One shot and down where it stood. But ammo for that gun is a problem.

14-Nov-21
There's a movie, Wind River, where a game warden snipes some bad guys with a .444.

14-Nov-21
Great movie !!!

14-Nov-21
I also had a Marlin 444. Took a black bear and several deer with it and wish that I hadn't sold it along with several other guns that I owned and sold over the years!

14-Nov-21
My wife’s grandfather left the family’s 1885 in .40/82 to my brother in law. Stunning condition.

Pretty sure the knucklehead sold it.

I didn’t give him the box of shells.

14-Nov-21
Used Winchester 94 30-30 at Hoffman’s in Newington.

14-Nov-21
Love my .35 marlin. Nothing like 200 grains of thunder.

14-Nov-21
Yeah, the .35 is really attractive for a lot of good reasons…

But if I were to add just one more modern-ish deer rifle to the cabinet, it’d be a .44Mag/Spcl. Because they don’t make revolvers in the .35….

I just can’t imagine buying any more rifles other than that 39 for plinking… I’ve already got a couple and I’m just so much more interested in bowhunting these days…

• Sitka Gear