Drop Tine 16-Nov-21
RUGER1022 16-Nov-21
retro 16-Nov-21
RUGER1022 17-Nov-21
Drop Tine 17-Nov-21
Live2Hunt 17-Nov-21
Two Feathers 17-Nov-21
15-Nov-21
Was looking at getting a Samic Sage bow when I ran into the Black Hunter model. (Both made overseas) Its been decades since I’ve shot traditional equipment and don’t want to spend a ton of money to see if I can get it going again after so long.

Saying that is there an advantage to using a long bow or recurve? I’ve only shot recurve.

TIA

15-Nov-21
DT, Neither one is essentially better. You will find strong supporters of each. You could get use to either one and be accurate. Regardless of which you choose, the grip, bow length, and weight at your draw length are what's going to be important to you. Both types come in one piece or takedown models. Take downs offer the advantage of replacing just the limbs if you ever need to change weight. Like anything else, lots of manufacturers, styles, varieties to fit everyone. The Black Hunter would be a good choice to get your feet wet. Be careful.....there addicting....:>)

15-Nov-21
I shoot both and hunt with both. I have 3 piece and 1 piece longbows and recurves. I got my grandson the Samic Sage 1 piece recurve. He liked it but prefers stuff with wheels. I picked up a 40# Black Hunter 3 piece longbow a couple years ago. As far as I'm concerned it is the best shooting longbow I own. You won't be disappointed with a Black Hunter.

15-Nov-21
I believe the Black Hunters riser accepts either recurve or longbow. I shoot a recurve mainly Just like the recurves better. But, the hybrid longbows of today perform well and are quiet like the longbows are. Recurves can get loud and you have to screw around with silencing more.

15-Nov-21

Knifeman's embedded Photo
Knifeman's embedded Photo
I believe a recurve is an easier initial transition from a compound to a one string bow. It has to do with the grip mostly, but of course there are longbows with dished locater/recurve style grips. It is a general rule. The recurve might be a tad faster/more efficient than most longbows of the same poundage. Been shooting stickbows since 1996 exclusively after giving up my wheel bow. I have shot and owned lots of both. I cant say which I like better, shoot and hunt with both. Currently shooting my Bigriver Widow copy recurve, my current favorite.

15-Nov-21
Recurve is my choice after 60 years. Have 2 - 60 inch Bears. 1 - 56 inch Staghorn , 1 - 52 inch Shakespeare. The longer bows stack less & shoot a bit smoother.

Will I know you , you will get hooked .

15-Nov-21
I belive the riser on the Black Hunter is different from the recurve to the long bow. I believe either type limb fits but the riser ends are shaped differently. The pin and bolt are the in the same positions. So it fits, just doesn't look right.

15-Nov-21

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
Will , this Mulie was a 45 yard shot with a 48 lb Bear Kodiak Magnum . They do require a lot of practice.

15-Nov-21

rallison's embedded Photo
Dealer's choice! I have an old Black Widow MAII 62" recurve that's put a lot of venison in the freezer, but picked up a custom...WhippenStick 60" takedown Phoenix recurve about 7 years ago. They're both great bows, but that Phoenix is in a class of one!

A year later I bought a 65" WhippenStick one pie e RD longbow, and absolutely love it! It's whisper quiet with zero string slap....my go-to.

Both my son and my wife have the, again, WhippenStick Marauder 3 pice longbow...a masterpiece!

It comes down to form, function, and personal choice...but the Sammick Sage is a fine inexpensive bow for a start-up in traditional archery. ILF rigs are really slick as well...buy a riser you like and limb choices are nearly unlimited.

I strongly urge ANYBODY considering trying trad go to a shoot! The guys are awesome, and will let you try their gear as well as providing sound wisdom. Check out the Wisconsin Traditional Archers site for details on trad shoots...the Horicon is a fav of mine.

15-Nov-21

By the way, get ready to have a ton of fun...shooting sticks is a blast. One can rediscover the joy of archery! Perhaps you'll choose to hunt with the compound while learning, but that's OK...nothing wrong with that. But with practice and due diligence you may very well find yourself carrying that stick out to your stand. My son did a few years ago, and has 4 bucks & 2 does under his belt since...this was a week ago...

16-Nov-21

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
I have my dads Bear Kodiak that’s at least 50 years old. Would this be safe to still use with out damaging it? If I can use it what string would you guys recommend? I would also want to change out the leather grip. My dad had one of those spring steel arrow keepers taped on the bow and you can see the results over the years.

I appreciate everyone’s comments.

16-Nov-21
It should be, I would use B50 or 55 dacron on it. Leatherwall is a great resource for this info with aaaaaaaaaaaaalot of knowledge of bear and other bows.

16-Nov-21

Will My 1 Kodiak # dh038 is 64 years old . I think your Eh is closer to 60 than 50 .

I get all my strings from a lady Ojibwa member who comes up to Merrill once a month to visit relatives. Got this one last month. $ 20 .

16-Nov-21
Glenn

A guy on a vintage Bear Bow Facebook page said it’s a 1958 and in very nice shape. So you are correct. Do you go with 56” or 57” strings? The guy said a 56.5” string would bring the brace height right to where it needs to be.

16-Nov-21
She made it 56 3/4 inches . Close enough . I fired it last week . I can't handle 56 lbs at this point . Its available if anyone is interested .

16-Nov-21
I would go with 57". I seriously doubt bows that old are fastflight compatible?

17-Nov-21
Will , if you need any accessories stop by the house sometime . I have arrows , broad heads , finger releases , & other trad stuff .

Tonight I'm sitting on a tight swamp trail , taking the Staghorn . If the wind is right.

17-Nov-21
Thanks Glenn!

17-Nov-21
Those do have reinforced tips on them so FF string may be ok. Not sure if the shock from them would damage the bow somewhere else though. Not sure if you want to wreck it in any way, I sure wouldn't.

17-Nov-21
My Black Hunter longbow came with FF string. I thought the bow was loud. I changed strings and shot B55 and B50. B50 was the quietest but not as fast as the FF. I stayed with quiet.

• Sitka Gear