crestedbutte 15-Nov-21
Quailhunter 15-Nov-21
crestedbutte 15-Nov-21
KsRancher 15-Nov-21
crestedbutte 15-Nov-21
Dale06 16-Nov-21
Matte 24-Nov-21
15-Nov-21
Yesterday, when traveling thru Butler County along 400 Hwy (thru that stretch that is divided highway) between Leon & Augusta….saw 1 game warden sitting back up on one of the on ramps watching east bound traffic toward Leon.

Then about 3 miles further west of him was another game warden sitting in the median watching westbound traffic toward Augusta.

I wonder if they had a wildlife violation tip or part of an on-going investigation were waiting on a certain vehicle to come by and either check’em or bust’em? Assume they were separated like that so they could radio ahead to each other that their targets were heading their way?

It was a strange occurrence….just don’t see them sitting parked out in the open on a major highway and separated a few miles apart like that very often if ever? First time for me anyway.

15-Nov-21
Not been to Western Ks on opening weekend? See it all the time out there

15-Nov-21
Yes….even then (late 1980’s - 2010) I didn’t see 2 spread out like that. Usually just saw one at a time either waiting at road near a field we were hunting, waiting near a busy 4 way intersection or just happen to pass one on a back country dirt road on our way to the next place to hunt.

15-Nov-21
Used to do checkpoints on opening weekend on 400. I remember them looking through our stuff back in 91. I’ve seen one on overpass watching truck beds go by with one on ramp ready to roll here in Oklahoma on opening of rifle deer.

15-Nov-21
That is smart. Never thought about them posting up on an overpass looking down into truck beds. The wardens need every advantage they can get as I bet some poeple can be real sneaky.

It’s a shame that some within our society have to be this way.

15-Nov-21
Hopefully not hijacking your thread. But had interesting warden encounter this year. I drew a 1st season Co elk rifle tag this year. I called the warden a few weeks before season to ask a few questions. Didn't hear back, and really didn't give it anymore thought.

Opening morning I hike in 2.3 miles as the crow flies/3.2 miles according to OnX tracker. Shoot a bull 2hrs into hunt. Got him quartered and started hauling meat out. My brother took the rear quarter with evidence of sex and tag attached. I took all the loose. 2 hrs and 45 minute trip back to vehicles, stashed the meat by some rocks in the shade 20yds from vehicles. Got a bite to eat and headed back in for trip number 2. Made it back to the kill site and got loaded up right at sunset.

There was a couple of spots on the walk out I would get some phone service. While walking out I get a text. "Congratulations on the bull Rusty. Looks like your earning it to get that one out. I checked your quarters at the vehicles. Looked good". I sent back a picture of the bull and said "thanks".

I have talked to him in person one time on a previous years hunt and he checked my license. Really nice guy. And I think he must be really good at his job. Apparently he seen where I shot the bull, found my stashed meat, checked for evidence of sex, tag and still had my phone number from when I called him prior to season.

I never seen him, but wasn't looking for him either. If I talk to him again some year, going to ask him where he was at to know all he did. I thought it was pretty cool experience

15-Nov-21
Rusty…. Great story, man!

16-Nov-21
Last two September 1s there’s been a warden parked on a country road SW of Ness City. A friend stopped and chatted with him, nice guy. He said he’s listening for gun shots (dove hunters) and will go check them out. Just doing his job.

24-Nov-21
Out in force today but they were not Kansas wardens, but USFS apparently someone did something wrong here at the grasslands

• Sitka Gear