MDW 19-Nov-21
bentstick54 19-Nov-21
bentstick54 19-Nov-21
Thornton 19-Nov-21
bentstick54 20-Nov-21
Trebarker 20-Nov-21
sitO 20-Nov-21
15-Nov-21
I have followed along several yearly live hunts for several years now. I have never posted one of my own, but will try to give a daily report on my upcoming next week. I was lucky enough to draw the 3rd hunt at Grand Osage WA this year. I followed along with Stringwacker from Mississippi on his hunt the 1st week on a different website, the followed CB last week on his hunt. Both the hunters were successful with nice bucks taken. I with a recurve, and 1 with a compound. I would like to thank both of them for answering some questions for me. My hunt will officially start Wednesday, but I’m sure will be more of a scouting setup day. I will try to give a nightly report as the week goes on.

15-Nov-21

bentstick54 's embedded Photo
Tools of choice will be homemade Osage selfbow, 48# at 28”. GT 500 woodgrain shafts topped with 125gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade broadheads. Taking 1 treestand, but am planning on spending more time on the ground.

15-Nov-21
This will be good, lookin forward to it Brian, good luck!

15-Nov-21
Thx Kyle, my reporting won’t be up to yours for sure, but I’ll do the best I can. Looking forward to hunting a totally new to me area.

15-Nov-21
Nice selfbow, good luck man.

15-Nov-21
I doubt I could hit the broadside of a barn with that bow. I'll definitely be following along and thanks for taking the time to include us...good luck.

15-Nov-21
Thx guys.

15-Nov-21
The cooler is waiting for your trophy!

15-Nov-21
Yippppeeee! I’ve got the popcorn heating up! Let’s go man!

16-Nov-21
Have fun Brian

16-Nov-21
Thanks Randy. Fun will be had, regardless of the outcome.

16-Nov-21
Looking forward to hear about your experience.... awesome bow

16-Nov-21
Good luck Brian from the land of Dixie! I would love to see that selfbow work it’s magic!

16-Nov-21
Good luck! Impressed with your tackle!!

17-Nov-21
Well, day 1 is done. We had our orientation meeting this morning at 8:00. Out of 15 hunters I was so lucky that I drew #15 for stand selection. The spots I was most interested in of course were selected long before my turn lol. Turns out not to be a problem. I have some breathing issues, and was hoping for something with fairly easy access, and with the help of the staff, they put me on a couple areas that look like they will turn out good. I went to the 1st area , hung a stand, saw several nice rubs, and jumped 3 does on the way out. When I pulled up to the 2nd area, I parked, looked up and 2 does were crossing the road about 100 yds in front of me ( 11:00am). Decided to watch from the truck for a bit to see if anything was following. For the next hour, does, and young bucks kept crossing the road in the same spot. Some trailing, 1 young buck actually running a doe. After about an hour, eating a sandwich, I got my stool and bow, and decided to see what I could do to join the fun. I snuck up the road, cut in maybe 60 yds, cleaned out a cedar, backed my stool in and sat down. I bucks cruising all afternoon. No big ones, 3 that might have tempted me if the shot situation would have been right, and 2 dink’s that passed at 6 to 10 yds, stopped broadside, stare at me then continue on. I plan on starting there in the morning.

17-Nov-21

1 of the dink’s.

17-Nov-21
Sounds like there is plenty of action going on, plenty of doe activity to lure the bucks in.

17-Nov-21
Brian….exciting start. I talked to one of the hunters from my Group 2 and he saw 2 180’s a typical and non-typical bucks yesterday during their last day to hunt. He said he threw everything at them but they didn’t respond or come his way. He said the hunter from FL saw a triple droptine buck yesterday as well. Sounds like the big ones might be on the move.

He said no other bucks were killed after mine. Wishing you and Group 3 hunters much, much success!

17-Nov-21
The staff there are truly good guys who’ll do whatever they can to help you succeed. Good luck tomorrow!

18-Nov-21
Sounds like a great day, good luck Brian and have fun!

18-Nov-21
Just getting into the time when some of the biggest bucks will have to be in the move to find a doe. Thanks for taking us along.

18-Nov-21
Just getting into the time when some of the biggest bucks will have to be in the move to find a doe. Thanks for taking us along.

18-Nov-21
Good luck Brian! They say luck averages out so I guess after drawing #15 out of 15…..well your destined for a roll of good luck! Keep us posted!

18-Nov-21
Awesome! Keep after it. This style of hunting really intrigues me. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

18-Nov-21

Well I’m tagged out. I sat my ground blind from daylight until 1:00. Passed a 6 yard broadside shot on a doe with fawns at noon. Everything except 1 shooter that never got closer than 80 yards were does being chased by dink’s. So I decided to take a couple hours off, then go sit the evening in the tree stand I hung as an option. I climbed in the stand at 3:00 and at 3:15 a nice but young symmetrical 8pt strolled by, but got a pass. About 3:30 I started seeing some movement in thick brush behind me. There was a large oak in the over grown corner that was attracting them. I could make out 1 small buck, then briefly more antlers but the 2 nd deer didn’t stay. Eventually I doe materialized out in the overgrow pasture, then different bucks showed up checking her out. She must not have been receptive yet because they would just trail along behind her 1at time, then wander off. Finally the last 1 to leave came directly towards me, stopped about 10 yards out, worked over a low hanging oak branch, tried to open up a new scrape in the overgrown fescue, turn an angled down giving me a broadside shot at 15 yards. I must have hit the right pocket because he jump, ran a big circle, in sight the whole time, and fell over about 10 yards from where he was standing when the arrow struck. It was about a 40 to 50 yard drag to the road. It could not have happened any better. I was the last one to draw a stand sight selection, and the 1st to tag a buck during this weeks hunt. Wishing all the other hunters the same luck I stumbled into.

18-Nov-21

18-Nov-21

18-Nov-21
Cool looking old buck, congrats!

18-Nov-21
Fantastic job Brian, great looking deer!

18-Nov-21
Brian….great buck! Bowsiter’s 3 for 3 on the Grand Osage this year. That buck had no chance when that Stinger made its way thru him. Hope more Group 3 fellas have success like you. Really happy for ya my friend! -CB-

18-Nov-21
Thanks James, Randy, and Jason. It was definitely a good hunt.

19-Nov-21
Words can’t say how impressive the harvest of this great buck with a selfbow is to me. In a world where hunting is marketed in media increasingly as a technological pursuit, this is an anomaly. You did well in accepting a challenge and proving the old ways can still be effective.

19-Nov-21
That is really impressive, great buck and great hunt! Thanks for taking us along.

19-Nov-21
Thanks Travis. Stringwacker, I live by the KISS system. (Keep It Simple Stupid) . It just comes natural to me. LOL. I want to thank both you and Crestedbutte for sharing information and insight on the operation, and how the 2 weeks before my hunt took place. It always helps build a little pre-hunt confidence. A great time was had, and I feel like I made a couple new friends along the way.

19-Nov-21
That is awesome stuff Brian...congrats on that big one. I would love to shoot one with a bow like that but I’m afraid I would just wound it.

19-Nov-21
Congratulations Brian! Awesome following along on that. That's inspiring and looks like a serious challenge. What an accomplishment! Thanks for sharing.

19-Nov-21
What a great hunt! That buck has tons of character and given the setting and your equipment is definitely a great (and memorable) accomplishment!

19-Nov-21
Sure happy to open this one up this morning! Congrats Brian, such a cool unique ol'buck, and what an accomplishment to get it done with a selfbow!

19-Nov-21
Brian: Great buck. It sounds like you had a good hunt.

19-Nov-21
Great Buck, great story.

19-Nov-21
Great job Brian, what head were you using?

19-Nov-21
Thanks everyone. I would be lying if I were to swear I,ve never wounded one. But won’t say it’s been because of the equipment. Every now and them something will go wrong, just do my best to keep it to a minimum. Dave, using a Magnus Stinger 2 blade 125gr.

19-Nov-21
Awesome. Thanks for taking us along and congrats on a great buck with traditional equipment no less. Too cool.

19-Nov-21
Thx Mike.

19-Nov-21
What a perfect buck for that hunt, with that gear!

Totally unique!

19-Nov-21
What a perfect buck for that hunt, with that gear!

Totally unique!

19-Nov-21
Brian, your buck is all cleaned-up and in the cooler. Cape is peeled down to the back of the head and in freezer. Probably be processed Monday? Setting at 82 as of dark thirty today. I ought to go set in the morning, but think I'll sleep in, okay?

19-Nov-21
Marvin, sounds like you need to get some sleep for sure, but you can’t kill him in bed. If you”ll have it done and frozen I could pick it up Wednesday.

19-Nov-21
Michael, I have always liked the unique ones. I’ve got a couple of unique dink’s that I just couldn’t pass up in the past. There are definitely bigger racked bucks on the property, but for the most part have always been a meat hunter, with the hopes a wall hanger would come along. I thought about passing this one up for about 2 seconds, the stood up in my stand, mouth grunted, and loosed the arrow. No regrets.

19-Nov-21
Neat looking buck and even better you shot it with a true longbow.

20-Nov-21

The manager of the Wildlife Area was kind enough to e-mail me a trail cam photo of my buck taken in Sept. It’s nice to have a before picture. I would like to publicly thank all the staff at Grand Osage, they were all very helpful.

20-Nov-21
That’s great they sent you that picture, as warm as it has been I would have taken one to a processor too.

20-Nov-21
That's a GREAT pic! I had a few of Mike's buck from this year I sent him after as well.

• Sitka Gear