midmichigan10 22-Nov-21
Thornton 22-Nov-21
crestedbutte 23-Nov-21
18-Nov-21

Heartland's embedded Photo
Grants 2021 buck
Grants 2021 buck
Not going to be my typical annual post on here... Things have really changed in my life and I honestly hope this educates a few people and possibly helps a few more!

My oldest son Grant has developed into my best hunting buddy, the best hunting story teller and ultimately my best friend! Grant is 6 years old and has killed 3 bucks with a crossbow and this past spring shot his first tom with a .410. He truly is everything that I have ever dreamed of for a son. He has my passion for the hunt and I have made it my goal to give him every opportunity at success in the field.

This past September, about the same time as youth season, our world was flipped upside down. Our Grant, my Grant, my best buddy, was diagnosed with a bone marrow failure disorder known as Severe Aplastic Anemia. This is an extremely rare condition with less than 10,000 cases known worldwide! In a nutshell, Grant's bone marrow is not able to produce enough blood cells to support his body. Because of this, Grant has been receiving weekly platelet transfusions and periodic red blood transfusions when needed. The rarity and severity of this disease is absolutely terrifying! Our local hospital has only seen this disease a handful of times and most of them were referrals from other locations.

My wife and I are determined to find and get the best care for Grant... We have been to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, had zoom meetings with Children's of Philadelphia, Children's of Cincinnati and we are currently sitting in Milwaukee seeking treatment from a highly recommended physician. Hopefully this is the answer that we have been searching for but if not, we will keep hunting...

The only cure for Grant's condition is a Bone Marrow Transplant. And in order to do a BMT you must have an acceptable donor. This is where things get frustrating... There are over 7 billion people on this planet and only 9 million are registered to be a bone marrow donor. THERE ARE OVER 4,000 PEOPLE WAITING ON A DONOR, RIGHT NOW, WITHOUT A MATCH! These are people with life threatening conditions like my son that will NEED a donor to continue their run at life.

Guys, this is my only "ask"... Look into getting swabbed to be a donor. It is as easy as anything you will ever do. You can go to bethematch.com and they will send you a swab kit, with return postage. Chances are that you will never be called upon to truly decide if you want to donate but being on the registry is the best way to give someone hope at life!

18-Nov-21

With everything going on with Grant, I hunted VERY little this year... I think I hunted 5 or 6 times total. But that's all it took......

This past March I purchased my first "farm". And prior to this family health crisis, it's all I could think about. I have dreamed of owning my own piece since I was a little kid. And from the moment I stepped on this piece, I knew it was the one.

Here is the buck that I shot 11/13. My biggest buck to date and probably the biggest deer I will ever kill and maybe see. Taped him out at 222".

In the future, I plan to use this deer as a vehicle to educate people on my sons condition and ultimately do my part to give everyone in a similar position the second chance at life. If there is anyone out there that is willing to write up an article, please contact me. Because for me, it truly is more than a buck.

18-Nov-21

With everything going on with Grant, I hunted VERY little this year... I think I hunted 5 or 6 times total. But that's all it took......

This past March I purchased my first "farm". And prior to this family health crisis, it's all I could think about. I have dreamed of owning my own piece since I was a little kid. And from the moment I stepped on this piece, I knew it was the one.

Here is the buck that I shot 11/13. My biggest buck to date and probably the biggest deer I will ever kill and maybe see. Taped him out at 222".

In the future, I plan to use this deer as a vehicle to educate people on my sons condition and ultimately do my part to give everyone in a similar position the second chance at life. If there is anyone out there that is willing to write up an article, please contact me. Because for me, it truly is more than a buck.

18-Nov-21
Oh my. You and yours will absolutely be in my prayers, especially young Grant. That is certainly the buck of a lifetime. Maybe it dropped into your life at this time for a reason?

I will look in to getting tested to see if I’m a compatible donor.

As far as getting this case some additional attention, I would get in touch with “writer” (Michael Pearce). I’m sure he’ll stop by here shortly.

Prayers for Grant, and congratulations on that buck of a lifetime! :)

18-Nov-21
Thanks Kansan. I was hoping the Writer would step in! I have read some of his stuff in the past and knew that he was an option.

If there is anything that I know about the hunting "community" its this, we all appreciate big bucks and we are all willing to help out! I just truly never thought that I would be on this end of things.

18-Nov-21
CJ, if there’s any other way we can be of assistance, please let us know. If there’s a GoFundMe or something of the like for Grant, I would gladly contribute. I’m sure everyone else feels the same way. Because you’re right about the hunting community, in that it truly is filled with some of the best people.

18-Nov-21
CJ this instantly touched my heart and I can’t imagine what y’all are going through. One of my sons is 17 now and he’s been my hunting buddy since he was 5 so I really feel for y’all and sure hope Grant gets what he needs to be healthy and strong. I’m with Kyler here if y’all need help with donations or anything else. I just now googled and did a little reading on bone marrow donations.

You shot a lot of bone there and hopefully there’s a way like you said to maybe utilize that in a way to help his little bones so y’all can keep hunting bone together. My prayers are with the little man and feel free to PM me if you need anything and I’ll do what I can. Tell Grant congrats for me on his big deer too.

18-Nov-21
Not sure words are enough to express how this hit me, but I'll just say I knew someone that went through a similar ailment. Sadly I'm too dang old to donate marrow, as I understand, but would dang sure help if there's a gofundme or other CJ.

Both great bucks, great smiles, hoping everything works out for the best...be strong little man!

19-Nov-21
Thanks guys. We don't have a gofundme or any type of donation set up. I am really just wanting to spread the word on the importance of being a bone marrow donor and this condition.

19-Nov-21
Am hoping you get to spend a lot more time in the woods with Grant in coming years when a cure is found for the condition. I am registered nationally as well as on my DL as a donor of anything useful at my death following having a family member benefit from a transplant of donor tissue.

Your deer, :O

19-Nov-21
Heartland would it be okay to add your sons name to my arrow?

I’d kind of given up on “One Arrow”, but your post... Let’s just say, it’s on.

Lastly, congrats on 2 great bucks!

19-Nov-21
Of course One Arrow. I actually had his initials on the arrow that I used on my buck as well as his name on my bow... Time in the tree was definitely different this year.

19-Nov-21

19-Nov-21

Couple additional photos from the recovery. Grant was the first one I called after I shot the buck. And I drove home to get him so that we could recover the deer together.

19-Nov-21
Oh my....CJ you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Incredible deer! The bond between a father and son and hunting buddy is tough to do justice, but my heart hurts to read your message. I am going to look into the donor site you referenced, but am hopeful to help in any other way possible. I cannot imagine what you all are going through, but I do know the Mayo clinic holds a special place in my heart and it appears you are getting help from the best out there. Praying for you all and Grant's success and drive is also what it will take to be as strong as possible.

20-Nov-21
CJ, some friends of ours from church have been going through your situation. Their son Easton, has the exact same condition. Their dr sent them to St. Jude in Tennessee. I couldn’t begin to tell you the regimen of treatment he had to go through, but his dad said it was rather extensive. After about two years the doctors have signed off for him going back to his school as his immune system is in much better shape. He has to go in for routine blood work and have it sent to his dr at St Jude several times a year. St Jude may be worth checking into. My son had open heart surgery at 8 days old so I can understand a little the mental strain you must be feeling. The least I can do now is lift up a prayer for Grant for a complete healing and for peace and comfort for you guys. That can be done often as well.

22-Nov-21
CJ....Being a father myself, this post was tough to read. I am truly sorry for what you and your family are going through. I want you to know that you are all in our prayers. Love seeing the big smile on his face with you in the great outdoors.

Secondly, what parts of Kansas was that beast shot in? I was chasing a similar buck in Unit 9 and was curious. Either way, great buck and awesome experience with the kiddo!

22-Nov-21
He made Outdoor Life! I wish you the best on a cure for your son.

23-Nov-21
CJ….I’ll be lifting Grant and your family up in my daily prayers! Also, any idea why that bucks skin is torn up in places? Keep’ on A Hunt’in! -CB-

• Sitka Gear