huntnfish43 15-Dec-21
huntnfish43 15-Dec-21
CaptMike 15-Dec-21
vilascounty 18-Dec-21
Bartman 18-Dec-21
myronman3 18-Dec-21
CaptMike 18-Dec-21
18-Nov-21
Just in, Man the WI DNR must be so disappointed that they can no longer break the law.

HF43

18-Nov-21
Great news!!!

18-Nov-21
Link?

18-Nov-21
I'm not sure it ever stopped? lol

18-Nov-21
I’m with you Pete the SSS method never went away.

18-Nov-21
Wolf season up north starts Saturday at 6:30 AM. SSS

18-Nov-21
I hope you are right hf43, but I don’t see anything that confirms that. There was a ruling by a judge today related to the DNR trying to delay the season we ended up having earlier this year but it doesn’t look to me like it has anything to do with this current season that is now on hold.

18-Nov-21
The ruling on the DNR, It’s a start

19-Nov-21
Nothing has changed. I'm guessing you saw a post from last February.

22-Nov-21
A little excitement this past weekend and I'd love the wolf lovers to experience.

I was fortunate to shoot my buck on opening weekend. I gut it and dragged it about 100 yrds in a thick spot below my stand which I could not see. Since I had another tag and my family members still were hunting, I chose to wait closer to end of shooting hours to drag. After shooting hours, I got down from my stand and walked to the buck. At about 30 yards, I saw a black wolf eating my deer. I shouted and it slowing walked away, looking back and circled me. I called my cousin to come help as it wouldn't leave. I started dragging as fast as I could. With the heavy brush, I'd get about 15-20 yrds and have to stop. Each time I stopped, I heard movement on each side of me. I was about half way to the road, when my father called out for me on the walkie talkie. My cousin answered him stating I had wolves near me. At about 150 yrds away and with his truck running, my father took his spot light and said there were 3-4 30 yrds above me on the ridge. I could still here the other one on the other side of me. I dragged the deer, shouting out until I could get my cousins attention who approached with his truck. he got out and helped me drag the last 20 yds. We loaded it up and drove up the ridge to my father. With both truck running and lights all on, my father was pointing at the wolves (with spot light) about 30-40 yrds away from the truck. He shined the light on the other side of the truck and 3 more wolves were there. They completely circled us.

Come to find out, our land is near WI largest wolf pack. It was also quite apparent they have no fear of anything. They knew I was there all along(day) and they were not going to stop. I'm not sure what would have happened if my father and cousin wasn't there or if I wasn't aware they were there when dragging it out and was attacked.

I'm sure there will be "nah sayers" or some to believe they were just being wolves but I can guarantee we are close to a human being attacked by a wolf in WI. Our forefathers drove these creatures to almost extinction for a reason and they need to be pounded back to near that. We pay large amount of property tax for recreational lands to enjoy the simple resources it has. These animals are destroying it.

This is a shout out to Adrian and all the wolf loving DNR folk. I've got an extra tag. Come out this weekend, I'll fill that tag and I'll let you drag it out, at dark and in the same area. You should enjoy these creature you work to save. I'm easy to find. Give me a shout! And for the judge, once this attack happens, the blood is on you.

I used to just agree to allowing a limited population in WI with a reasonable population control. Now, I support elimination. Tree huggers mistake:(

22-Nov-21
I was surrounded by 6 wolves a few years ago and they followed me to the truck too. I dont like them in high populated numbers but I respect them and find them fascinating. They have there place as long as we can manage them the way we all intend them. However, I have had many wolf encounters and they are curious by nature. Sure, it freaked you out and rightfully so, but you experienced wolf behavior. If they were going to attack you, they would have before you got to your truck. Its a cool experience but I wouldn't indulge in i almost died or someone is going to. History shows that it can happen but its too rare. My advice, shake it off and get back out there. I enjoy my experiences and they have taught me that I am safe to walk in alone, day or night. I just pack the heat just in case.

22-Nov-21
Boomer - Been there done that on a bear retrieval. Worst experience I've ever had in the big timber.

23-Nov-21
Can't you shoot them in self-defense? They are no longer federally protected and if you feared for your life, you have the right to protect yourself.

23-Nov-21
JackPine Acres - They were protected when this happened to us, but we would've shot if they came any closer.

23-Nov-21
I didn't think it was a threat when it was standing on top of my deer. After I kicked it off, I couldn't see them, others could but didn't see me. Hindsight......damn thing would be dead if I had it all over to do. Dead alpha. We could have chalked one up for the good side;)

24-Nov-21
Boomer - We were on a bear retrieval at night and we thought we were kicking the bear up ahead of us only to find a stiff bear. A trailing wolf? We had two young girls with us, three guides and the hunter. Sent two guides back for the otter sled. A pack opened up in the distance and it was like you can hear the wind, but can't see it and they were coming fast. It was really thick in the bush and the pack was all around howling and barking. You could just catch a glimpse of an eye. The two girls were crying and our hunter was ready to fill his pants. It was the only time I didn't carry as we thought it would be a quick retrieval. The other guide had only one shell in his pistol. I was looking for a tree to get the kids up. We had grabbed logs just in case. Yelling didn't help deter them. After about 5 minutes of this they quit and we heard another guide that showed up come running and yelling, pounding on the otter sled with his mag light. He knew exactly where we were listening to the wolves. A terrible night I'll never forget. My fear is that wolves will be accustomed to humans and for example; If the old Alpha male gets kicked out of the pack and has to fend for himself, what's easier than taking down a kid, an old person or for that matter anyone that might be walking down an old logging road.

24-Nov-21
Hoot was that in the Sand River area? If so every once in awhile that pack or I should say some wolves in that pack would woof or almost bark at me when I would bait, once they circled and caught my scent then would stop. They were like ghosts you could hear them but not see them. That is the Echo Valley Pack

24-Nov-21
"accustomed"? I don't think they have to as they have no fear. I had the pack's supper and interrupted the alpha's meal. They knew I was exhausted from dragging....heard my breathing and smelled me sweating. As I said, if it were not for the vehicle and lights, they probably would have reclaimed supper and did what they wanted with me.

Also, they knew I was there when they found the deer. No one can tell me they didn't smell me in the stand, where a took a dump and leak.... It was less than 100yrds. No bear or coyote would have ever came near. They didn't care about me one bit.

25-Nov-21
MJF - It was in the area. I think it was maybe 2014. A lot of wolves back then but nothing compared to now.

25-Nov-21
Yes there were 19-17 wolves in that Echo Valley pack

11-Dec-21

MjF's Link
Wolf attacks

12-Dec-21

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
A wolf walked across my deck at home and looked in the sliding door.
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
A wolf walked across my deck at home and looked in the sliding door.

12-Dec-21
Wolfpeeker

12-Dec-21
MJF-From your link

They found reliable reports between 2002 and 2020 involving 489 victims of wolf attacks.

Never happens wolves just want to live in peaceful existence with their brothers.

HF43

12-Dec-21
Lol

14-Dec-21
Story Posted today 12/14/2021 In the Ashland Daily Press -An animal protection group is offering a $10,000 reward for any reports of illegal wolf killings that lead to an arrest and conviction of any poachers.

Since Wisconsin’s wolf hunt has been on hold, Paul Collins, of Animal Wellness Action, said threats of poaching have picked up on social media.

“We perfectly accept freedom of speech and people saying what they want, but we also want to realize that if they’re going to make these types of threats, they are going to be looked into,” said Collins, the group’s Wisconsin state director.

Dane County Judge Jacob Frost issued a temporary injunction in October blocking the season that was set to begin Nov. 6. The order came after Animal Wellness Action and other wildlife groups filed a lawsuit to stop the hunt.

Collins said his group has been following Facebook posts about killing wolves since the Trump administration delisted the wolf from the federal endangered species list in January. He pointed to the Wisconsin Wolf Hunting Facebook page, which include comments like “smoke a pack a day.”

Other comments referred to the legal battles as “games,” and said the wolf population can’t go “unchecked and unmanaged.”

Collins acknowledged most people posting to the page are “blowing smoke.”

“Even if 0.1% of those turn out to be real, we think we’re doing our due diligence by putting the offer out there to get the information to the proper authorities,” said Collins.

State law in Wisconsin requires the state Department of Natural Resources to hold a wolf hunt from November through the end of February when the animal isn’t under federal protections.

Adam Jarchow pushed for the wolf’s delisting and advocated for state wolf management as a former Republican state lawmaker. Jarchow, who is running for Wisconsin attorney general, said the comments illustrate people’s frustration with the growing number of wolves in Wisconsin and lack of a season.

“I suspect those people that are saying things are just saying it out of frustration,” said Jarchow. “Obviously, nobody should be breaking the law or killing wolves illegally. But it does illustrate the importance of having a regulated hunt so that we can control this predator.”

Jarchow was among a group of Republican lawmakers from northern Wisconsin that proposed a bill that would block game wardens and police from investigating illegal wolf killings in the state in 2017.

DNR spokesperson Sarah Hoye said the agency hasn’t encountered any trend of illegal killings this fall.

“Meanwhile, we read and monitor all comments on the department’s social media. We send any comment that mentions poaching to law enforcement for investigation,” wrote Hoye in an email. “Additionally, if someone mentions that they know of someone who is poaching, we encourage them to report the information they have via our violation hotline.”

Three wolves have been shot in the “act of depredating” a domestic animal this year, according to DNR officials. The wolves were shot in Price County in August and September. Since the wolf’s delisting, landowners are allowed to shoot wolves in the act of biting, wounding or attacking their animals. Shootings must be reported to the DNR within 24 hours.

Agency officials have said they haven’t had any recent reports of illegally killed wolves.

In February, state-licensed hunters killed 218 wolves in less than 72 hours, taking nearly double the wolves allowed under a 200-wolf quota.

The DNR’s report on the February harvest found four wolves were illegally taken during the hunt, which were presented at registration. The agency detected 16 illegal killings of wolves from April 2019 to April 2020.

Research has shown that illegal kills account for around 9% of deaths each year. One study by University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers, found that around 100 wolves were killed on top of the 218 wolves that were harvested during the February wolf hunt.

The DNR encourages people to report any suspected violations to its violation hotline: 1-800-TIP-WDNR.

14-Dec-21
Nonsense. They have no clue about how many are killed legally or illegally. All I know is not enough. Reminds me of that.nut case guy living with Grizzlies in Alaska. Nice bears. Until they weren't. Same with Wolves. Until they kill some animal protection guy's dog or worse yet kid. Then the song changes. They have a place. They have a right to be here. But not where they control the whole environment. "Choot em" and stay off Facebook.

14-Dec-21
I heard a guy by the name of Joe Biden shot a wolf in Ashland Co. in deer season. I think he also goes by the nickname of uncle Joe, Sleepy Joe. Could be just rumor....

14-Dec-21
I thought hunters wanted to be tough on poaching, lol?

14-Dec-21
Yes tough on poachers MO. The biggest poachers are Wolves

14-Dec-21
I do not disagree with that!

14-Dec-21
Read a lot about Wolves . At one time they literally destroyed cattle ranching in Montana. It was worse in Canada . Hundreds of ranchers in Alberta had their business wiped out by Wolves .

"I heard " It's common in Canada for outfitters or guides to tell hunters to shoot any Wolves they see, don't talk about it, don't take pictures , Don't tell your guide, just shoot those Evil Wolves , if they move into an area they wipe out the Deer in a year & then turn to livestock .

Wolves were the " A " predator for a long time . We are now the " A " predator. They are no longer needed .

14-Dec-21
It wouldn't surprise me if "Pro-Wolf" people were posting false claims on Facebook just to get their agenda advanced in the general public along with the judiciary system.

14-Dec-21
I don't doubt if lots of reported wolf kills are bogus reports by Pro Wolf lovers. Don't believe any of them unless they are reported directly to law enforcement and confirmed.

14-Dec-21
"In February, state-licensed hunters killed 218 wolves in less than 72 hours, taking nearly double the wolves allowed under a 200-wolf quota."

On what planet is 218 "double" 200???

Here on Earth, 218 is 9% over 200, not double.

14-Dec-21
The same liberal media that thinks the economy is doing just fine under Sleepy Joe.

14-Dec-21
Yes Badger who ever wrote that sure makes the public grade schools look bad. Or maybe they were sick the day they taught math. Yeesh

14-Dec-21
Correct me if I'm wrong (I might be), but I believe the state was allocated about 120 and the tribes 80, and that's where 200 comes from. So the 218 is "almost double" the 120.

Horrible journalism, no doubt. But an explanation of what they were getting at.

14-Dec-21
How can you count 80 into that for filing out tags then subtract it to say double was shot. The state wanted 200 shot. They got 218 shot (reported) so the genius says it's double. You have to count the total numbers of tags given out. That's what they said was ok without causing damage to the population. So they went over by 18 (reported)

14-Dec-21
The original harvest goal set by the biologists was 200. Then the shenanigans with the tribal quota started.

14-Dec-21
So they got their 200 +18. In record time I may add. What 2 1/2 or 3 days? Lightning fast

15-Dec-21

Drop Tine's Link
Quota was 200 and 217 were killed. Perfect!

Wolves were extra busy this year or there are a lot more of them than counted. You figure it out.

15-Dec-21
Yes if you do the math the "quota" was exceeded by a tad more than 8%. The real question is if the WI DNR is such a well respected group of professional folks that the nation admires and holds so dear. Why would they so blatantly lie and distort the truth? I wonder what other areas under the DNR prevue where this is happening?

Oh never mind it can't happen after all its the WI DNR.

HF43

15-Dec-21
HF43, stop wearing your blaze orange hat with "DNR SUCKS" written with a sharpie. It is obviously the Walker administration and legislatures fault. I belong to every sportsman acronym group which the WDNR supports and they all say your wrong. Plus, if the WDNR is wrong, it adversely affects land value which I'm trying to sell.

15-Dec-21
Wisconsin DNR was a respected agency. Substitute "was" with "could be again"

15-Dec-21

huntnfish43's embedded Photo
huntnfish43's embedded Photo
Just read this book.

HF 43

15-Dec-21
Boomer the other day I was at meeting with a large group of Marine Biologists and Wildlife Conservation officers from all across the country who had nothing but high praise for the WI DNR. You would not believe how many times I heard "Those WI DNR folks are something else they always bring Sturgeon Caviar to these meetings, no one else is as nice and thoughtful as those fellas". So I guess I now know why the WI DNR is so highly regarded across the country. I guess we should all be so proud.

HF43

15-Dec-21
HF43, lol!

18-Dec-21
Wolf hunt is essentially off again if this article is to be trusted and I read it properly.

https://www.publicnewsservice.org/2021-12-17/environment/next-wi-wolf-hunt-blocked-for-remainder-of-season/a77013-1

18-Dec-21
They should be charged with frivolous lawsuit charges. I’m obviously no attorney but what can they sue over. It’s been through the courts. This is frivolous as can be. Just to detain the hunt. We’re way over quotas the state agreed to. How can they sue. Why are they not counter sued personally?

18-Dec-21
meh….everyone i know has had it and just shoots on site.

which is what you get when you throw the law out the window. playing games with people (folks know when they are getting the shaft) just makes law abiding folks say “to hell with it” and just dealing with the problem themselves.

it aint the wolves’ fault…..it’s the I D 10 t’s that are ignoring the will of the people and playing their games. people will only take so much.

18-Dec-21
It appears our attorney general has no interest in pursuing this in court.

• Sitka Gear