BigEight 19-Nov-21
Pasquinell 19-Nov-21
rallison 19-Nov-21
18-Nov-21
What is you technique

Pelvis split or unsplit?

Breastbone split or unsplit?

18-Nov-21
I just gut em. Have a small fold up saw for pelvic bone. Fits in a small belt case. Just get the guts out. However way

18-Nov-21
Don't bother with either.

Time waster

Increases contamination possibilities.

In same category as cutting the throat, serves no purpose. Other than make one feel good. Keeping traditions alive.

18-Nov-21
Thanks huntcell I’m with you, no pelvis split or breast bone split for me either, I do use a zip tie on the anus when I pull it though

18-Nov-21
I cut the pelvis with a Zip Saw. Don't know if it's still available but it's quick and works well.

18-Nov-21
Cutting the pelvis helps the ham meat cool faster if it's warm or if you didn't find the deer quickly.

18-Nov-21
I'd like to add that I usually tie the legs together behind the tendons of the front and back legs, keeps the internal cavity relatively closed if you need to drag and don't have a sled or anything. Also makes it pretty easy to lift into a truck if the deer isn't huge. You can just sorta grab each set of legs and toss it in, and avoid the deadlifting method.

Quartered and packed a deer for the first time this week. Definitely gonna be practicing that on my next deer as it is a lot easier than some really tough solo drags.

18-Nov-21
I make as small of an incision as I can to get the entrails out and do a “grand opening” when I’m back to camp or the house depending where I’m at. I still don’t split the breast bone even then. Never needed to.

18-Nov-21
I gutted a deer at home once and only once. Could not get the dog inside the next day and he listens 99% of the time. He was having the time of his life munching down on some deer guts a few hundred yards from the house.

19-Nov-21
Vilascounty...the only deer I ever killed close to my house, I buried the gut pile. For the reasons you mentioned.

19-Nov-21
I do not split either, I was taught to split both back in the day, but soon realized there was no point and haven't since.

19-Nov-21
Hunter R

Glad to see you back, I have missed you input.

19-Nov-21
Does anybody age their venison with the tenderstretch method. You hang the deer by the pelvis so that the hind quarters hang parallel to the floor or a 90 degree angle from the rest of the body. It apparently ages the meat faster. Never tried it but I'm going to give it a go if I'm able to tag another animal. I do like to split the pelvic bone if it's warm out. I make a small incision around the anus and pull a camp pocket saw through. Works like a charm. The saw is one of those tiny wire ones. I don't use my knife because I like my knife and I'm a wuss.

19-Nov-21
I buried a bunch of carp we had shot while bow fishing in my gardens. I had every skunk and raccoon in SE Wi digging in my back yard gardens. What a nightmare with my dogs too.

19-Nov-21
in Wyoming we usually bone them out gutless. Skin one side, bone all meat out, wrap in cheesecloth, roll over and repeat. WAAAAY easier to pack out of a thousand foot canyon...lol.

• Sitka Gear