Blood 19-Nov-21
Brian M. 19-Nov-21
BBB 19-Nov-21
Brian M. 19-Nov-21
Big Dog 20-Nov-21
drenalineman 20-Nov-21
Corax_latrans 21-Nov-21
18-Nov-21
Who likes am/ pm hunts ? I used to sit all times of day am/ pm or all day hunts. - as I got older I now prefer just am hunts till 1 or so. Gives time to follow blood trail -drag out etc. -

18-Nov-21
I'll do both. Sometimes certain bucks will only come through in the AM and other times in the PM. I'll hunt accordingly to what my trail cams tell me. I don't love tracking/ dragging out deer late at night, but I usually worry about those sorts of things until after making the shot.

18-Nov-21
Prefer mornings Sept thru Nov, afternoon in Dec. But, still hunt a lot of Dec mornings too. Weather, availability, rut, snow, cold or heat all play a role.

19-Nov-21
I prefer afternoons as the season moves on.

19-Nov-21
Am gives the luxury of time,Pm sometimes makes me feel like I'm on the dinner menu..lol

19-Nov-21
Getting late AM and early PM pics of bucks and does ; so apparently it ain't over. You've still got a chance if you want to sleep late IMHO.

19-Nov-21
99% of my hunting is hang n hunt. So I’m a fan of afternoon then the next morning. I get the amount of time on stand of a all day sit and the ability to see the spot from both time frames but without having to endure a actual all day sit. If I had to pick one or the other I’d take afternoon simply because it’s easier to set up especially when you’re going in blind.

19-Nov-21
I prefer mornings. More time to drag. Since late September, every time out was morning.

Decided to switch it up and went out Tuesday afternoon. Checked my camera, and a 2 1/2 YO 8 walked by at 9:35.. while I was sitting in the chair at my eye doctor...

Went out Wednesday afternoon in at 1:00.. checked the camera, same 8 walked by at 10:50....

LOL

19-Nov-21
I prefer afternoons. My body isn’t used to waking up so early so as soon as I get to my spot each morning the first thing I gotta do is shit. Not a fan of shitting in the woods. Lol. I definitely see more action in the am. I also agree I hate tracking in the dark. I will say this though. Any day in the woods is a good day in my book. Even if that means shitting in the woods or tracking in the dark. :)

19-Nov-21
Mornings preferred, but I'll hunt whenever the weather/wind is right for my stand locations. Question - why do mornings give you more time?? I've dragged deer out in the dark more than once, had plenty of time.

19-Nov-21
BBB. Limited mobility- takes me awhile to drag deer - even with cart.

19-Nov-21
air leak, be counter intuitive: think afternoon, go morning,lol.

19-Nov-21
Mornings always have been better. Especially during the rut….except for this year. Lol. Very weird strange year with limited daytime activity.

I shot two deer last year and passed others…..all in the afternoons. So it’s dependent on where you hunt and type of travel corridors. I shot one this year in the morning. Passed two others in the morning and one in the afternoon.

And you have more time in the morning because the sun isn’t setting. Lol

19-Nov-21
When I go in the morning, I feel like I have 3-4 hrs that I will see a deer. When I go in the afternoon, I feel like I'll sit for a couple hours with the chance of seeing a deer in the last half hour.

19-Nov-21
Brian - your comments remind of the something an old time Mainer told me on my first deer hunt at West Forks, ME. He said, "If you hunt as though every sound, every bit of movement, every smell is a deer, then you will see deer." I only began to truly understand his comment years later after "giving up" on a mid day hunt because nothing was in the area, and I ended up bumping a deer while I walk out from my stand. I don't like tracking a deer in the dark, or gutting it out, or dragging it out, but I know it takes just as long as doing it in day light,.......with a few extra minutes to look for my knife that I left somewhere in the dark??

19-Nov-21
That makes sense, BBB. Wed morning I was on high alert for 45 minutes because I knew the squirrel behind me in the hemlocks was a deer. It finally showed itself........it was a squirrel.

20-Nov-21
BBB, the guy from Maine nailed it . I've lost my knife so many times while gutting that I now wrap a little of the handle with blaze orange tape, problem solved,lol.

20-Nov-21
during the rut the best time to be in the woods is ANYTIME

21-Nov-21
I am just not very good at getting enough sleep, so mornings are pretty brutal for me, especially operating solo. More fun when you’ve got people to meet up with.

But in the first half of November, you’re nuts to pass up any good chance to get out.

And of course, CO Archery with my brother, we started up the hill at 04:30 and hunted ‘til last light before we started back down.

Because it was FUN.

I have a lot more trouble getting that motivated to sit in a tree.

• Sitka Gear