Thornton 19-Nov-21
be still 19-Nov-21
Thornton 19-Nov-21
bentstick54 19-Nov-21
ksq232 19-Nov-21
Thornton 19-Nov-21
19-Nov-21

Thornton's embedded Photo
Scouting the evening before season we stumbled across this young 5x5.
Scouting the evening before season we stumbled across this young 5x5.
Just got back from my annual Colorado trip. Saw elk and deer every day, but only had 2 brief opportunities on long range bulls. Here are some pictures.

19-Nov-21

I had located a large herd of over 200 migrating elk and was waiting by the fence for them to cross, when 6 California dudes, followed the sounds of bugling to my location. A short time later, they shot a cow that crossed.

19-Nov-21

Here they come
Here they come

19-Nov-21

I have no idea who these guys are, but we had a good chat right before the cow got offed...
I have no idea who these guys are, but we had a good chat right before the cow got offed...

19-Nov-21

Part of the herd
Part of the herd

19-Nov-21

Saw well over a hundred does and many small bucks. Nothing I wanted to put a tag on.

19-Nov-21

Snowshoe hares were getting ran over all over the sage hills.

19-Nov-21

19-Nov-21

Beautiful country. Despite hunters on every hill, there were at least 20 deer and 4 pronghorn below me as the setting sun lit up the far mountain

19-Nov-21

Young rutting buck. Unfortunately, the mentality of " if it's brown, it's down" is rampant out here. Hopefully he makes it through season.
Young rutting buck. Unfortunately, the mentality of " if it's brown, it's down" is rampant out here. Hopefully he makes it through season.
Mule deer rut was picking up. I had a few more days off, but I was eager to get back to Kansas to chase whitetails.

19-Nov-21

19-Nov-21

Drove back to Kansas, slept in, mowed some yards, and headed out to the hills. After about 30 minutes of glassing, I found a deer on a far hillside staring at a bush about 100 yards away. A short time later, a buck stood up from the bush, and stared at something. I immediately recognized that there was probably a doe the big buck and the little buck were after. I couldn't tell how big the big buck was, even through the spotting scope, so I set off to find out. 30 minutes and a mile later, I rounded the hill and realized I was 25 yards from the little buck bedded in the grass.

19-Nov-21

I sat down in the grass and waited. The sun was in my face, and it was difficult to glass the brush where I knew the bigger buck was. I decided to wait until sunset to see if he would stand up. About an hour later, I looked up to see him doing just that. In a few minutes, he started following the doe right to my position.

19-Nov-21

19-Nov-21

As the bigger ten point buck followed the doe towards me, the little 8 point stood up and I shifted, causing him to look right at me.

19-Nov-21

I had already decided this fine buck was too young for an arrow. I openly shifted to follow and photograph the buck. He didn't seem to care I was there, and actually seemed to act like I was another deer. He snort wheezed at me and the small 8 point. Having a runny nose, I took the opportunity to blow my nose, which didn't faze either one. Even when I stood up, the doe spooked, but they tried to corner her.

19-Nov-21

19-Nov-21
You do a great job with your pic’s...don’t see how they turn out so clear through the spotting scope. Looks like you put some miles on your boots by the sheds you found.

19-Nov-21
Thanks! I actually hold the camera up to my binoculars. These Sig Saur rangefinder binocs are definitely clearer than my old Vortex. I hiked about 20 miles in a little over 5 days.

19-Nov-21
Great photos Jason. Welcome back. Bucks are really moving in SE Kansas. I saw movement all day Wednesday and Thursday. Drove back to Wichita today, and saw bucks running does multiple times until I got north of Fredonia when the wind picked up. Then I had to concentrate on my driving pulling a 25’ camping trailer. The big ones should start showing up any day.

19-Nov-21
Nice updates Jason!

19-Nov-21
Thanks! I saw 4 more bucks last night as the sun faded and the full moon rose. All were chasing does and I'm looking forward to getting back out there.

• Sitka Gear